Menu

I lost a year off my life. Anyone else do this?

Tiramisu

This entire year I've thought I was 47. I kept thinking my birthday is coming and I'll be 48, but then suddenly realized the numbers didn't add up. It turns out I am 46. How did I do this?

At the time of my last birthday, we were dealing with multiple, serious medical issues in the family, and I was extremely stressed. That's the only thing that can explain it, unless I'm really losing my faculties. It's kind of scary.

• Like 8

Hey I was JUST thinking about you!!! Hope things are going well and that things are settling down for you.

Not sure if it meets the description of losing a year, but these days I often have to do math before answering someone's question about my age. At least you're going in the right direction, sounds like you've gained a year!

• Like 1

The only reason I can keep track of my age is that I am almost exactly 30 years older than my son.  If you want to know how old my siblings are I have to think . . . DS is 16.  Add 3 in the 10's place.  My little bro is 2.5 years younger than me so he must be . . . 

• Like 3

Yep, I've been doing this for years. I lost track of my age somewhere in my twenties, and somehow always think I am older than I am. The only way I can figure out my actual age is to calculate from the year I was born.

Thanks for making me feel better. This isn't the first time. Sometimes I think of you and the things we have in common from different topics that have come up in past threads, so it's nice that you responded to another one of my weird questions. :)

• Like 2

Hey I was JUST thinking about you!!! Hope things are going well and that things are settling down for you.

Not sure if it meets the description of losing a year, but these days I often have to do math before answering someone's question about my age. At least you're going in the right direction, sounds like you've gained a year!

Thank you for thinking of me. That's very nice. Things do feel like they are settling down a bit. 

• Like 2

I thought I was a year older this year than I actually was. So, it turns out that I have been the same age for two years and didn't know it. At least I didn't think I am younger than I am. I get confused just typing this. Not a good sign. However, I think it's genetic. My mother did the very same thing when she was in her late 40s.

I told the tow truck driver I was 30. dd piped up, "No you're not, Mom! You're 31! You shouldn't lie about your age!"

She was right about everything except the lying part; I just forgot.

Have you ever wished that you could have another year to be a child, a teenager, a twentysomething? Well, believe it or not, you'll feel that way about your 40s someday.

Think about it as your future self having a wish come true. :)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

Yep, I've been doing this for years. I lost track of my age somewhere in my twenties, and somehow always think I am older than I am. The only way I can figure out my actual age is to calculate from the year I was born.

:hurray:  Yay!  It's not just me!  Dh gives me the look when I defer to my kids to tell me how old I am...I simply cannot recall if I am a certain age or going to be said age. 

• Like 1

Yup, I've done exactly the same thing. My birthday year ends in a 7, which shouldn't be allowed. ;)

The cheerful thing to look forward to is that I'll be turning 50 the same year Canada turns 150! Somehow, this is making me feel a little older than it should. Maybe I don't want to think of this association anymore.  :laugh:

• Like 2

I used to always know my age.  My DH who is 5 years older than me, started forgetting his age when he turned 34.  It would drive me crazy.  What was wrong with the man??  How hard is it to remember your age?!  Crikey!

And then I turned 34.  And I swear I could *not* remember my age for the life of me without doing math.  I'm so glad I never told DH how crazy I thought he was for forgetting his age.  :)

I had trouble remembering it until last year when I was 42.  If you're a sci-fi fan, then you know that 42 is special and memorable.

But now that I'm not 42 anymore, I'm sure I'll start forgetting again.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

I've had a hard time remembering my age for years. I just asked DH how old I am, and he said, "You're 47. Um, 46." :laugh: So neither of us is sure.

When I first started having trouble, I thought it was strange. Until I realized that people don't ask me how old I am any more. It just doesn't come up in conversation the way it did when I was younger, and so I don't think about it much. I figure I'm just out of practice!

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 1

This entire year I've thought I was 47. I kept thinking my birthday is coming and I'll be 48, but then suddenly realized the numbers didn't add up. It turns out I am 46. How did I do this?

At the time of my last birthday, we were dealing with multiple, serious medical issues in the family, and I was extremely stressed. That's the only thing that can explain it, unless I'm really losing my faculties. It's kind of scary.

Well at least it was in your favor right?

Yeah, I do crazy things like that too.

• Like 1

Story 1:  When my mom turned 35, for some reason that number stuck in my head.  For the next 10 years, whenever anyone asked how old my mom was, I said 35.  Eventually I started to get weird looks.

Story 2:  Years ago DH thought he was 36.   I knew that was wrong but my guess was wrong, too.  Then he tried to correct us both and he was wrong, too.  Then I started trying to add and got it wrong again.  Then we both finally realized he was 33.  Sadly, we had been married for several years and he was born in 1970 so neither one of us had a good excuse for taking so long to figure it out.  In fact, why did we BOTH forget in the first place?  

• Like 1

I did this a few weeks ago.  I realized that I'm a year younger than I thought I was.  I mentioned this last night to the cashier at the grocery store (long story), and the guy behind me in line couldn't believe that I was that old.  He thought I was years younger and gushed about it until I was actually blushing.

• Like 1

I did the exact same thing, and I think it was even the same year!  I turned 46, then sometime during the year I must have started to think that I was almost 47, and then I believed I was 47 already.  Or something.  My dh did the math (he's always doing math in his head), and informed me that, since I was born in 63, I was only 46.  I was very happy to realize he was right!

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ
  • Like 2

Personally the older I get the more I don't really want to think about how old I am. Maybe that's true for others too.

My age is incredibly easy to keep track of though. Being born in January 1980 means my age is found in the year. 2000 I was 20. 2016 I'm 20+16 = 36. 20+20 I'll be 40.

BUT I still am not sure how old I am sometimes. 

Edited by pinkmint
  • Like 1

Yes, I do. It actually helped me when I turned 40. I thought I was 40 for the two years leading up to my 40th birthday. It wasn't such a hard birthday by the time it actually came ;) Sometimes when I give my age I like to give it in two numbers like 20 + 20. The lower numbers are nice.

Kelly

Edited by SquirrellyMama
  • Like 1

While at the hair salon yesterday I was looking through their hairstyle books, one was for over 40's.  I told DH about it later saying something about NOT going with one of the Over 40 styles.  He responded "well no, you're not over 40."   :huh: .  So I asked him how old he was (38, but he had to think for a minute) so that makes me......? Oh, guess I could have gone with the over 40 hairstyle.  

When I turned 38 I kept forgetting and said I was 37 for most of the year.  I still think of myself as 37 :crying: .

• Like 1

I was born in 1972, but on the next to last day of the year.  So, really I was pretty much born in 1973.  This messes with my mind.  ​Like, how old was I when Elvis died?  He died in 1977, so I might say I was 5 years old.  But no, I was 5 for only 2 days of that year, so really I was 4 when he died.  I've started pretending my birthday is 1/1/73 just so that the math makes sense.  And I totally have to use my fingers to do the math, when I'm starting from 73. 

And for some reason I forget to count the zero years.  I'll jump from 1995 to 2015 as if that's 10 years and forget about 2005 in the middle.  It's really twenty years from 1995 to 2015.  

Math is hard.  :tongue_smilie:

• Like 1