Menu

Are your children taller than you?

Bang!Zoom!

My oldest dd is now an inch taller than me at 13, but she passed me up at 12. Youngest is already as tall as me and she's 10. I think she's going to be taller than oldest. It made me sad at first, but now we laugh about me being the shortest one.

I am now the shortest member in my family. I often wondered if I should have invested time in my younger years learning how to navigate high heels, but alas, now it's too late. I shall forever be the short, frumpy mamma of the family.

:hurray:

My 13 year old son is even with me at the moment. I'm 5'6".

His father is 6'3", and I'm inclined to think he's going to clear me sometime this summer... :(

I still have a good three inches on my daughter, though.

I'm 5'8", DH is 5'9" and DS is 6'1" :huh:. We've been looking up to him for a while.

All of our girls are tiny, the tallest is 5'3" and the next tallest is 4'6" at age almost 12. I've wondered if height can be hereditary by gender-- say a woman can carry genes for tall boys but short girls? Because about half the women in my family of origin are much shorter than I am.

I have three who are not only taller than me, they're each taller than their dad by at least two inches. (incuding 2dd) we expect dudeling will be there one day too. I like having tall children. it's so nice when I need something from a high shelf. :thumbup:

My teen boys passed me when they were around 14yo. And then they soon passed dh, too. I'm 5'10", he's 6'0". Boys are about 6'2". When dh and I stand up with the boys we feel short.

Then there's dd who hasn't yet passed me in height but then she's only 8yo. And I'm 5'10". Did I mention that? :laugh:

No. Diamond (18) is about 1/2 inch shorter... but she's half my weight and when she stands up "ballet tall" she looks amazing.

Sweet Chid (13) is about 2 inches shorter, and unlikely to continue growing much.

BabyBaby (11) is 4'11". She might end up being the tall one... but in a family with aunts maxing out at 4'8" and cousins at 6'7", anything can happen.

Not yet. I was thinking DD may not catch up with me, as I was fully grown by 13, but turns out that she has several more years of growing ahead according to x-rays. Now I am pretty sure she will pass me. I fully expect my boys to be taller than me as well.

I am 5'3" and DH is 6'4". Not only that, but he was six feet by age 11! We have four sons, and it's only a matter of time.

The oldest is not yet seven and hits my shoulder! Our doctor thinks he'll be even with me by eight, but my MIL thinks it'll be a bit later.

Neither my parents or my in-laws are tall, though, so maybe they won't all tower over me.

Ds #1 (21) - taller than I am and taller than his dad

Ds #2 (16) - taller than both of us

Ds #3 (14) - as tall as I am; shorter than his dad

Ds #4 (is only 11 and seeing an endocrinologist for growth issues, so no, not taller)

Both my daughters are shorter than I am, and I doubt that will change.

Dd#1 (19) - barely 5 feet tall

Dd#2 (13) - she's only 4 feet 11 inches

Two I think are done growing - one's an inch taller than me, the other a few shorter (so I won't be the shortest fully-grown person in the family anymore!), and one is about an inch shy but gaining fast. I think she's going to end up the tallest of us females in the family, except maybe my mom (mom's 5'7", or was before she started shrinking a bit...).

No, but dd7 has feet as big as mine (EU 35/US 5). So it's likely she'll be taller than me. Poor DS is small, but he may be a late bloomer. I hit my current height at 11 and didn't grow another inch. DH grew nearly a foot between the first and second year of high school.

I am barely 5 feet tall. Only the 8 year old is shorter than me, and that won't last long.

I get lost in a sea of 11 year olds.

Oh, yay, I'm not alone!

I'm 4'9 - 4'10" depending on my hairdid B)

The only one shorter than me is the 7 year old, who is 4'6" and measures herself against me just about every day. She's obsessed with passing me up, which is weird ... but useful in getting her to eat nutritiously. But "it'll make you grow!" and she laps it up - crap and all.

When my siblings and I don't want our kids to know what we're saying, we use a dialect the kids aren't familiar with. We have codenames for each kid to keep them from figuring out the context of our conversation. Drives the kids nuts, but we like to put the FUN in dysfunctional. For months the kids kept talking about "Hobbit this, hobbit that" - we had no clue who they were talking about. Turns out they were trying to give us a taste of our own medicine, and I WAS THE HOBBIT!! That was their codename for ME! Brats LOL. When talking about me to their friends, my nephews clarify: You know, the Hobbit Tita!

DH 6'

DS 6'

Me 5'8"

DD14 5'7.75....so she is ohhh so close to being the same height as I am. She doesn't want to grow at all. She is already having trouble finding clothes that fit (size 3 with long legs).Her doctors all say she likely has another inch in her though so she may just have to get used to the idea of being taller than me. LOL

DD6 4'3"

The only one shorter than me is my 9 year old. My 12 year old went to the doctor one day a few months ago, and even though he had been taller than me for a while, was very excited to see that he is (or was at the tie, rather) 5'4'. That's two inches taller than me. He would walk up to randomly throughout the day with his chest puffed out and say, 5'4" with a big grin on his face.

yup. both older kids are taller than i am. the 9 yo is still short, but his dad is short too. not shorter than I am tho - i'm only 5'2. I like to think of those old pictures of a short, plump old lady surrounded by 4 big brawny 'boys' who still jump when she says jump!

And for that, your feet and calves thank you.

I had a prof. in college who'd worn 3" heels her entire adult life. She was probably 5'.

By the time I'd met her in her late 50s, she had been wearing heels for so many years her Achilles tendon was so tight, she couldn't walk barefoot. It was actually painful.

No, and I doubt that they ever will be. I am 5'8", and it doesn't look like either of my two daughters will be as tall as me. My older daughter has a chance, but I think she'll end up being 5'5" or 5'6". My younger daughter is like 10% for height on the growth charts. I'm just hoping that she makes it to 5'2" or so.

I know that the day is coming when they'll all likely be taller than me. Right now, it's just 13 year old dd. She's been taller for over a year now. 14 year old ds still has a few inches. 12 year old ds is also a late bloomer and might end up with the shorter genes, but my guess is that even so, he'll be slightly taller than me (I'm just under 5'6"). The little one is the biggest of all of them on the growth curve (the only one who has always been ON the growth curve), but she's just 8, so I should have a few more years (though she might pass the 12 year old soon ... 14 year old is used to his sister being taller, she passed him when she was 7-8. They're only 13 mo apart and a lot like twins, though. The 8 and 12 year olds are 4 years, 1 month apart, so having baby sister pass him might be harder).

At 5ft11in and a dh just one inch shorter (which he denies, lol) I knew our dc would be tall. My 2nd ds, however, started growing about 2 years ago and is now 6ft4in and still growing. His inseam is 36". Quite disconcerting the day I got in his face about something and realized I was looking UP!

I'm only 5'2", so my DS 13 is taller than me. He is 5'6" right now. His twin sister is about my size, and I am not sure if she will grow more or not. She would love to be a little taller than me, but it may not happen. Youngest, at 9, is still shorter than me, but it won't be long until he passes me by. :)

I had 3 inches on my mom, and with my tall husband, my dd wil likely have 3 inches one, and my son will probably be 6'1" - 6'4"

I am 5'5" so not short, just average I suppose. But my mother in law is my height and my father-in-law was dh's height, and their girls are 5'6" & 5'8", dh is 6'1" & his twin brother is 6'4".

DS 15 is taller than me-- he was small for the longest time and then all of a sudden in the last year he shot up and is still going. These days I have to reach up for my hugs, but I don't mind at all. :) DD 13 is almost exactly as tall as I am (5'1") but she is growing fast as well. I think by summer's end I'll be the shortest in the house!