Menu

s/o American cheese, and grits

knitgrl

Those of you down South, what kind of cheese do you put in your grits?

I had kind of a gap year when I was college-aged, and went down to Atlanta to volunteer at a homeless shelter. They made grits, and they were delicious, served with butter, a hard boiled egg, and government issued American cheese. I have tried to recreate this at home, but Velveeta isn't the same. Cheddar is ok, but definitely not the same.

My stepmom usually used sharp white cheddar and a bit of cream when I was young. When my dad had a heart attack she switched to the instant kind because it was less tempting to him. 

• Like 1

For some reason, I had not thought of Kraft American. Dh does not understand my appreciation of grits, and would really not understand why I would bring "plastic cheese" into the house.

• Haha 4

I don't think anything captures the flavor of government cheese. I have been looking for that flavor since probably 1965. 

My husband (Georgia boy, but his mother didn't make cheese grits when he was a kid) said he thinks the closest to government cheese would be a mix of mild cheddar and Velveeta, maybe. We usually use the sharpest cheddar we can find.

There are uses for "plastic cheese" because of it's supreme creaminess. I know there are ways to get that with "regular" cheese and an additive I can't remember right now (someone will know it I'm sure) but every now and then a slice of American is just what's needed. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, marbel said:

I don't think anything captures the flavor of government cheese. I have been looking for that flavor since probably 1965. 

My husband (Georgia boy, but his mother didn't make cheese grits when he was a kid) said he thinks the closest to government cheese would be a mix of mild cheddar and Velveeta, maybe. We usually use the sharpest cheddar we can find.

There are uses for "plastic cheese" because of it's supreme creaminess. I know there are ways to get that with "regular" cheese and an additive I can't remember right now (someone will know it I'm sure) but every now and then a slice of American is just what's needed. 

Letting the grits settle in the water and then straining out the bits that float makes them creamier, less gritty. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, saraha said:

Working at the Waffle House in the 1990s we used sliced Kraft American cheese. One of my dds love American cheese, the other sprinkles on shredded cheddar

Ha! I worked for a Waffle House in the 90's, too! I forgot about the grits there. I was more into the potatoes -- smothered and covered. 😋

Edited by knitgrl

1 hour ago, knitgrl said:

Ha! I worked for a Waffle House in the 90's, too! I forgot about the grits there. I was more into the potatoes -- smothered and covered. 😋

And diced for me! I was just showing the kids the complicated plate pull system the other day! I found a picture of the old uniform and they had a hard time picturing me with that tie and headkerchief😆

Edited by saraha
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

My excuse is dogs. 😉 

I was in Costco once and heard a man say to his wife, "we need to get some dog cheese" and I laughed because I knew exactly what cheese they meant.  😃

• Haha 5

I don't think my Alabaman father ever made our grits with cheese. I just asked him so I'll update if my memory is wrong.

I've never made them with cheese, though I don't make them often. DH makes a yummy one pan dish with grits, runny poached eggs, salsa and veggies. We do put sharp grated cheddar on top. Dang now I'm totally craving it (off to check kitchen cupboard for grits...)

• Like 2

Just FYI, Kraft has the American cheese individually wrapped in plastic (which I think is horrible) and the Deli Deluxe which is not individual wrapped (at least the package I buy is not individually wrapped. 

Our deli counter has blocks of American cheese which is even better. And you can buy by the slice. The white American cheese is good for making white queso. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I don't think my Alabaman father ever made our grits with cheese. I just asked him so I'll update if my memory is wrong.

I've never made them with cheese, though I don't make them often. DH makes a yummy one pan dish with grits, runny poached eggs, salsa and veggies. We do put sharp grated cheddar on top. Dang now I'm totally craving it (off to check kitchen cupboard for grits...)

Confirmed. No cheese. He made them with runny poached eggs too.  Yummmm

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Omg goat cheese in grits sounds amazing!

It is a yummy paradise! I make all of my grits/polenta, and rice savory. So goat cheese or extra sharp cheddar is common and for polenta, garlic, basil, and onion. I am a big fan of savory. Sometimes instead of basil I use Rosemary just for a little different flavor profile. But goat cheese is just so darn melty that sometimes it is just the go to cheese.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, marbel said:

Sodium citrate.

• Like 1

Just now, MEmama said:

Confirmed. No cheese. He made them with runny poached eggs too.  Yummmm

No one can go wrong with a runny egg on anything! I had a piece of leftover steak wamred up this morning and deposited an over easy egg on top of it. Divine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

No one can go wrong with a runny egg on anything! 

I can't handle a runny egg.  I like making an omelette that is cooked until it's like rubber and I slap a slice of Kraft American on it before folding it over.  I guess no one is coming to my house for breakfast (or dinner - I frequently have this for dinner).  

• Haha 3

I loved grits when I was a kid (I grew up in FL), but only ate them with butter and salt.  Never had them with cheese.  That's how I like cream of wheat too - butter and salt.  Definitely comfort food.  I haven't had grits in years! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

As a non-American, I have to ask what on earth is government cheese? It makes me think of war rations or something 

As I understand it there was a milk oversupply problem and the US government bought milk to support the industry.  They then supplied it to various government programmes for free/cheap. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

As I understand it there was a milk oversupply problem and the US government bought milk to support the industry.  They then supplied it to various government programmes for free/cheap. 

I don't know for certain, but it sounds about right. The times where I have experienced government foods was with non-profit organizations. One was the homeless shelter, run by a religious-affiliated organization. The other time was government issued peanut and almond butter at a church camp. I wouldn't have even known about the existence of almond butter for years later if it wasn't for the feds. 😆

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

My favorite video on this topic.  School cafeteria cheese toast was awesome because of this cheese. 🤣

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 4

On 4/7/2024 at 10:06 AM, knitgrl said:

For some reason, I had not thought of Kraft American. Dh does not understand my appreciation of grits, and would really not understand why I would bring "plastic cheese" into the house.

I do not know what kind of crack they put in it, but the lure of plastic cheese is strong. 

23 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

No one has mentioned sausage gravy on grits. Yum!

Or roast gravy, my personal favorite when I do an add-in. 

I'm in the deep south and never had cheese grits until I grew up, but I do like them. There's really no cheese that I've found to be NOT good in grits. If you like the cheese, you will like the cheese in grits. 

Also, anyone who has only had white grits really needs to try yellow grits. Much more flavorful!

• Like 4

On 4/7/2024 at 1:04 PM, mmasc said:

I think the closest thing to government issued American cheese would be Kraft Deli Deluxe slices. 

Just wanted to come back and report my findings. I was at the store and found "Great Lakes Ultra Sharp American Cheese" at the deli. This is much more like what I remember, and is far superior to Velveeta.

On 4/7/2024 at 11:30 AM, Brittany1116 said:

Sharp cheddar. For more than you think it "needs". 

I think the reason that it wasn't quite like what I remember is that I only used one slice for my bowl, and I imagine that 1.5-2 slices will really make it like what I remember.

@Lady Florida. Can you recommend a recipe for sausage gravy? I know it is a thing, but it's not really a thing where I live.

@katilac Soon I'll be ordering some organic flour from a place in Arkansas, and I can throw in a bag of yellow grits.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I now have inspiration for lots of grits variations.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, knitgrl said:

@Lady Florida. Can you recommend a recipe for sausage gravy? I know it is a thing, but it's not really a thing where I live.

Sorry, I've never made it. I just order it at country, southern style restaurants. MIL used to make it and though she shared many southern recipes with me that's one she never got around to sharing. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 6:08 PM, Bambam said:

Our deli counter has blocks of American cheese which is even better. And you can buy by the slice. The white American cheese is good for making white queso. 

Kroger, Boar’s Head, and Land O’Lakes are all better than Kraft.

On 4/9/2024 at 2:34 AM, Laura Corin said:

My high school got a lot of government surplus food and made delicious stuff, including a fabulous chocolate dessert made with that cheese!

6 hours ago, knitgrl said:

Not who you tagged, but my grandma makes it by browning ground sausage and then draining it lightly. She works flour into the meat crumbles, and then she whisks in milk until you get the desired consistency.

• Thanks 1