Menu

My novel was published!

Kalmia

1 minute ago, Kalmia said:

Five years in the making, many drafts, endless writers' group critiques, and failures with literary agents later, I have the published book in my hands!

So, all you writers out there, don't give up!

It is an epistolary novel, which is a style the literary agents didn't like. I had three different agents tell me: "I love your writing and your main character, but I could never sell an epistolary novel to a major publisher." But sadly for them and happily for me, it is being published by a small, independent, literary press in Portland, Maine that does not fear the epistolary style. Try all avenues to get your writing out there, folks! Don't let an agent discourage you. It is not entirely their fault, like a real estate agent they don't get paid until they sell a book to a publisher, so it makes perfect sense that they are only going to go with books that are a sure thing. Small presses are a viable option. One can also self-publish under one's own imprint (much like making your own small press.

Mimsy Bell, an eighty-year-old fiddler, returns to her hometown, Menotomy, in the mountains of western Maine after her decades-long musical career comes to an abrupt end. With just three items left on her bucket list, she’s most of the way to a life well-lived. But it isn’t easy to find a final resting place, make peace with the river that claimed her first love, or recapture the person she was before the course of her life was diverted forever. Especially when a closed cemetery, a crabby minister, and a curse stand in her way. 

And some nice reviews: 

“A delightful, insightful book. In her letters to a long-lost love, feisty Mimsy Bell reflects on her life and ours, on the tragedy and beauty that surrounds us. I found myself wishing Mimsy had started writing sooner so my time with her would last longer. The Buoyant Letters of Mimsy Bell is a special creation, a story I will eagerly revisit.” — Gerry Boyle, author of the Jack McMorrow mysteries.

“Like a Maine river, this book has depth and beauty, offering up surprises where you least expect them. You’ll be transported to Menotomy and won’t want to leave" — Robin Marrow MacCready winner of the Edgar Award Best YA 2006

I am so excited! Book launch coming up in two weeks. Already started the next one.

If you would like more information on the novel, PM me. 

Awesome! Well done! 💃💃💃💃💃

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

So…where can one order this book?

17 minutes ago, Drama Llama said:

Exactly what I was thinking!  I want to read this book!  

Not sure, if by board rules (not selling your own products), I can post the link, but if you PM me I will message it to anyone who is interested. 

11 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

Well DONE!  And I love the title.  "Buoyant," we don't get enough of that word.  Congratulations!

I tell people that I chose that word just so I would finally learn to spell it! Not 100% true, but that was the effect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Grace Hopper said:

Well done! How satisfied and excited you must feel seeing this come to fruition!

I honestly love epistolary novels so thanks for your persistence. Let us know  how and when it’s available to read. 

There is a link further back in the thread to my publisher where it is available to order. But I will repeat the link here.

https://littoralbooks.com/product/the-buoyant-letters-of-mimsy-bell-by-laurel-dodge/

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kalmia said:

I tell people that I chose that word just so I would finally learn to spell it! Not 100% true, but that was the effect.

Ah, see, once one spends a certain amount of time accompanying a certain boat-loving husband over a certain number of decades through a certain number of fish-laden shallows, its relationship to "buoys" finally registers, lol.  It did, however, take decades.

• Haha 3

That's amazing! It really is SO important to get your work in front of the right person/publisher! So often I read online people struggling, but they are submitting to places that don't publish what they are submitting. Good for you for seeking out the right home for your work!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...