Menu

Recipes from the 70s

Carrie12345

I can and will Google, but I’d also like to hear some tried and true with notes.

We’re doing a 70s themed party for my mom, who’s turning 70. It’s just a small family deal (14-19, including kids) so we’re cooking ourselves, but I’d like to simplify it as much as possible since my clan is driving all day the day before.  I’ll have access to a full kitchen that afternoon, but one I’m not fully accustomed to, and gas vs. my usual electric. I’ll also have access to two kitchenettes the night and morning before.  
Cake is my sister’s job.

I know I’ll make clam oreganata, because that’s a routine dip for us. I’m also hoping I can get one of my sisters to do a jello salad, lol. Otherwise, I’m starting from scratch.

Ideas?

• Like 1

Canned cheese on crackers (or pimento cheese)

CASSEROLES!!  The more outlandish, the better.  And if you can top with Tater Tots or potato chips it's a win.

Deviled ham or salmon mousse needs to be featured

Piped cream cheese into celery logs with olives or other toppings

cocktail weiners

Jello in all forms

It sounds like a fun party...but I definitely prefer modern recipes.😄

Edited by HomeAgain
Edited because I cannot spell first thing in the morning.
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

My mom used to make a casserole. We called it hamburger casserole but it was ground beef cooked with cream of mushroom soup and then topped with cheddar cheese, peanuts, and chow mein noodles. Whenever I think about it I am all ewww….yuck…maybe I’ll make that for dinner. Lol.

My family would revolt if I put that on the table. It probably isn’t a famous recognizable 70s food but it is what I always think of as representative of the time. I actually remember it as being good? 

• Like 2

If you need something green to go with all the potato chip topped casseroles, I can’t remember what it’s called but there was a salad made of broccoli, mushrooms and red onions marinated in Kraft Italian Dressing. Easy to make, just requires a fridge to marinate overnight. That appeared on our table quite a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

Tuna noodle casserole. The more gross the better. I think my mom's was noodpes, canned tuna, and cream of mushroom soup over it, and crunched potato chips on top. I think I have mental trauma from some of the stuff we were fed in the 70's.

I have an edible recipe that's really good.

Box of chunky pasta (elbows are fine, but penne or corkscrew pasta is better)--cook it for half the time, then drain
White sauce, whatever your preferred method
Frozen peas
Can of petite diced tomatoes, drained
Black olives, halved
Can of tuna (or two)--also good with canned salmon that's been deboned and crumbled
Top with sliced mushrooms and grated parmesan
Bake until bubbly

The fun part is that the peas migrate to fill in the olive holes, lol! 

18 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I have an edible recipe that's really good.

Box of chunky pasta (elbows are fine, but penne or corkscrew pasta is better)--cook it for half the time, then drain
White sauce, whatever your preferred method
Frozen peas
Can of petite diced tomatoes, drained
Black olives, halved
Can of tuna (or two)--also good with canned salmon that's been deboned and crumbled
Top with sliced mushrooms and grated parmesan
Bake until bubbly

The fun part is that the peas migrate to fill in the olive holes, lol! 

Peas migrating... 😂😂😂

• Like 2

My mom made a casserole that was canned pork and beans (like baked beans) and hot dogs sliced part way but not all the ways through. They sat on top and when baked they kinda curled up.    I looked for a picture but can't find it. I do think I saw it in a cookbook at some point but maybe she made it up. 

31 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

Also punch that involves floating sherbet. 

I know this one!  Orange Blossom Punch.  From that severe looking kitchen green general cookbook--Betty Furness maybe?

A liter or so of ginger ale, equal pineapple juice, and a brick of orange sherbet, plus a ring of ice (you freeze water overnight in a ring pastry mold so it's just one big ring piece and doesn't melt that fast).  Plus some festive marischino cherries floating around if you want to make it prettier.

• Like 1

Or you could make little appetizer sandwiches with liver sausage or spam?🤢

Pot pies.

And if you make a casserole, don't forget the pimentos.  It seemed all the casseroles contained pimentos, and I used to wonder, where do those things come from?  What are they before they get chopped?  Just ewww...

And for dessert, don't forget the 7-layer bars: graham cracker crumbs made with and melted butter, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut, nuts and topped with sweetened condensed milk. They were gooey delicious, but whoa, so sweet. I wouldn't be able to stomach those anymore!

27 minutes ago, ***** said:

Or you could make little appetizer sandwiches with liver sausage or spam?🤢

Pot pies.

And if you make a casserole, don't forget the pimentos.  It seemed all the casseroles contained pimentos, and I used to wonder, where do those things come from?  What are they before they get chopped?  Just ewww...

And for dessert, don't forget the 7-layer bars: graham cracker crumbs made with and melted butter, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut, nuts and topped with sweetened condensed milk. They were gooey delicious, but whoa, so sweet. I wouldn't be able to stomach those anymore!

Pimentos are tiny peppers.  Nothing ew about the vegetable.  (I have never been a fan of them in cheese, however.)

The one I most remember having is a Chicken Rice Casserole made with cream of xx soups and Lipton's Onion Mix:  this recipe is pretty close.  My mom used 1 can cream of mushroom and 1 can cream of celery.  Plus, she mixed in 1/2 pkt of soup mix into the rice and sprinkled the other half on top.

This thread is bringing back memories.

Chipped beef over toast

Pimento cheese balls for company

Some sort of casserole involving a cream sauce, egg noodles, and hot dogs. LOL.

Oh and so very many jello salads.

I love the fondue idea. That would be fun and edible, versus some of the other ideas. 😃

Jello "salads"; Hamburger Helper; any casseroles that have ground beef, tomato sauce, and egg noodles; tuna casserole with peas and chow mein noodles; chipped beef over toast.

@cintinative I see you listed chipped beef above, and that's what reminded me.  🙂  I used to love it as a kid! 

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

If you want one that actually tastes good, the old Betty Crocker cookbook from that era has a recipe for brandy snaps. They are sooooo good! Like these… 

https://artofnaturalliving.com/brandy-snaps/

I second the fondue idea, also chicken cordon bleu, coq au vin…classic Julia Child stuff. My mom usually entertained with beef Wellington.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, busymama7 said:

My mom made a casserole that was canned pork and beans (like baked beans) and hot dogs sliced part way but not all the ways through. They sat on top and when baked they kinda curled up.    I looked for a picture but can't find it. I do think I saw it in a cookbook at some point but maybe she made it up. 

My mom did that one too. She also sliced hot dogs lengthwise halfway through, stuffed cheese in, wrapped them in bacon and broiled them.

IMO, Watergate Salad is a must for any 70's gathering! https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13811/watergate-salad/

My mom always baked a birthday cake for me that was a white or yellow layer cake. Between the layers she'd put a whipped topping and pineapple frosting and I think there were some mandarin oranges in there somewhere. I'm pretty sure it's this one. https://southernhospitalityblog.com/delicious-orange-pineapple-cake/

17 minutes ago, Pippen said:

My mom did that one too. She also sliced hot dogs lengthwise halfway through, stuffed cheese in, wrapped them in bacon and broiled them.

IMO, Watergate Salad is a must for any 70's gathering! https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13811/watergate-salad/

My mom always baked a birthday cake for me that was a white or yellow layer cake. Between the layers she'd put a whipped topping and pineapple frosting and I think there were some mandarin oranges in there somewhere. I'm pretty sure it's this one. https://southernhospitalityblog.com/delicious-orange-pineapple-cake/

That hot dog recipe was a staple of my childhood!  Probably my favorite dinner with a nice side of frozen peas and some of those biscuits you whack on the counter.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Both the fashion and the food was atrocious.

True, but pantsuits paved the way for women to wear pants in public. My father was a high school teacher in the 70s, and he says that around '72, a girl got sent home for wearing a pantsuit instead of a skirt.

• Thanks 1

Ambrosia. lol I hated that stuff, but one of my grandmothers made it often.

And any congealed salad would qualify. 

Also, they weren't "wide flares" in the 70s. They were "bell bottoms"!! Or maybe that was just in the south! 😜

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, knitgrl said:

True, but pantsuits paved the way for women to wear pants in public. My father was a high school teacher in the 70s, and he says that around '72, a girl got sent home for wearing a pantsuit instead of a skirt.

Exactly this! I graduated in 1973. School dress code didn’t allow girls to wear pants until my 9th grade year, and then it was “no jeans”, dress pants only. . My senior year the dress code changed and jeans were allowed.

I worked for a Doctor right out of Highschool. I was told by the other staff, my uniform was a dress only. Since I did all the filing and spent a considerable amount of time over filing cabinet drawers… I approached the Dr and asked if I could wear a smock and pants. He said yes..and the other gals thanked me profusely! 

• Like 2

I have a Better Crocker cookbook dated 1969…it was a wedding gift. 
I quote, “ Canned soups , of course, are a more immediate blessing. You can serve them as is, but by adding in a can of this and a little of that, you may invent your own special soup.”

some things I remember making as a newly wed…

Tater tot hot dish 

Watergate salad - pistachio pudding, cool whip, canned pineapple and mini marshmallows

The above mentioned chicken and  rice casserole was quite popular

• Like 1

1 hour ago, popmom said:

Ambrosia. lol I hated that stuff, but one of my grandmothers made it often.

And any congealed salad would qualify. 

Also, they weren't "wide flares" in the 70s. They were "bell bottoms"!! Or maybe that was just in the south! 😜

Yes, we wore them in the north, along with a Nehru jacket.

• 1 year later...

I made a beef stir fry in the late 70's that used pimentoes. I forgot how to make it and I cannot find the recipe. Does anyone know the recipe?

It might have had worchsstershire sauce but I am unsure.

Thank you