Menu

Do you unpack your suitcase when on vacation?

WildflowerMom

Do you unpack when you go on vacation?   

85 members have voted

1. 1. Do you unpack when you go on vacation?

• No, I live out of my suitcase.
    • Of course I do. Who wants to live out of their suitcase?
    • It depends on the length of the vacation.
    • Obligatory other.

It depends on a few things - the activities planned, type of clothing, length of stay.

If it's a quick night or two, and there aren't any nice clothes involved, I'll probably just live out of the suitcase. But for a longer trip, or even a short one that includes an activity that requires uncrumpled and/or nicer clothing, I'll  unpack and hang stuff up and/or put things in the dresser. 

• Like 3

No, partially because of the way we do trips. We are usually not in one location for several days/weeks. I suppose, theoretically, if I were going to one location for two weeks, I might unpack, but I have hardly ever done that. 

I do, However, unpack and hang up a dress/something that wrinkles.

• Like 2

We tend to move around a lot on vacation so it isn't worth the effort. Maybe someday we will do the "two weeks in one spot" vacation. When I go to France, I still live out of the suitcase because I don't want sis and brother in law to go to the expense of buying a dresser for the guest room which also does not have a closet. Furniture is pretty expensive there. But, since they are setting up for mom to go 3 months at a time, they are investing in a wardrobe, and a 3 drawer dresser so since I will be visiting when mom isn't, I might give it a try next time.

• Like 1

We also move around enough that we are usually in most places only 1-2 nights, so I just unpack stuff that needs to be hung and bulky items (shoes, heavy sweaters etc) that make suitcase-rummaging difficult.

But I actually hate digging around in the suitcase, so if it's 2+ nights I unpack everything. My husband NEVER unpacks and just sort of explodes the suitcase all over his side of the room. It is why we will never ever ever share a suitcase until the end of time. Also why I really like traveling in an camper or on a boat -- you move around, but don't have to keep packing and unpacking.

• Like 3

Interesting and timely question.  My kids and I just returned from a trip where we spent 2 nights in each of 2 hotels.  I only unpacked my bathroom stuff.  My kids ... if you looked into their room, you would see their crap spread out over the entire floor.

If we stay longer, especially if we have laundry facilities, I like to unpack, hang some things, wash what's already been used, etc.  But I don't like having to pack hurriedly on the way out.  For one thing, I have been known to leave behind good stuff.

• Like 1

If we’re visiting family or friends we sometimes unpack. But generally we live out of our packing cubes, which has one side for clean things and the other for used clothes. (I have a label on the zipper for the dirty side because I spent too much time trying to remember which clothes were clean)

• Like 2

We mostly live out of suitcases except any shirts/pants/skirts that might get wrinkles may be hung up in closet space. 

We used to put everything back in suitcases when they cleaned the rooms daily. But they do not do that anymore, so bathroom supplies are left in bathroom now. 

• Like 1

It depends on the set up of the hotel.  

If it’s spacious in the closet area and they have those suitcase stands, that works well for me.

If it’s cramped to do that I totally unpack.

It often feels like one or the other is going to work better for me, based on the room arrangement.  

Im also often sharing with relatives in a way where we don’t just change in the middle of the room or spend extra time in the bathroom, so if I’m also changing in the closet area, while somebody else is changing in the main room by the dresser, while a 3rd person is in the bathroom, it just makes a lot of sense.  

Edit:  I was an adult over age 25 before I knew about suitcase stands, I just hadn’t seen one unfolded and used.  I really like them if there is space for me to keep one unfolded and my suitcase on it, and it’s not going to be in the way or be jostled.  It can be perfect for me if I have one suitcase.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I live out of my suitcase but use packing cubes for most stuff.  I don't like using the dresser because I worry about germs/bedbugs.

I worry about this also.   Like a whole lot.   But I've read that it's best to put suitcases on hard surfaces, not carpet or the bed.   So I think the drawers would be ok?   Idk.  I'm still afraid of the dresser, lol.   

i think I'm going to get some decent luggage and packing cubes.   I think I'm missing out by not having those.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

This poll is making me wonder why so many hotels have so much dresser space.    I think a small dresser and a couple of suitcase stands might be best.  

My husband would hang our coats in the wardrobe. If it is a business trip, he would hang his shirts in the wardrobe too.  For four of us in a hotel room, the wardrobe does get full. 

• Like 2

We used to live out of the suitcase, and we still do that if staying in a house without a dresser.  Usually we unpack and then pack dirty clothes or anything that we are done with back into the suitcase.  If it's just an overnight trip. we lay out the next day's clothes and then repack things as we finish with them - the previous clothes before bed, the PJs as soon as we get up, and then we're done.  If we are staying someplace that has a washer/dryer, we tend to only pack for 1/2 of the days and plan to do laundry.  

If we are doing a sightseeing road trip with multiple suitcases, we try to break our packing into trip segments so that we only need one bag to be opened each night.  When we do an overnight trip everybody brings their own small bag, but for a longer multi-part trip or anything involving checked bags all 4 of us sort our clothes into 'first 3 days' and 'next 3 days' and we pack together in one big suitcase.  We do this if we fly, too, so that if one bag is lost then we all still have something to wear until it's found or we can get to a store to buy replacements.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

If I unpack, I am irrationally convinced I will forget to repack a drawer and leave all my underwear behind.

Thank you for letting me know I'm not the only one!

For some reason, hanging clothes on hangers doesn't trigger this phobia in me.

• Like 1

I don't normally unpack, but I actually did for the first time ever on my last vacation. I think the difference is that there were no drawers, rather there were open shelves in a closet. I could easily see all my clothes and not worry about forgetting anything when packing to go home. 

It depends on the location and length of trip. 

Long weekend? Live out of the suitcase.

On a cruise, definitely. The cabins are too small to leave a suitcase out so we unpack and store them under the bed. 

I recently went to Greece and stayed with a friend. The room I shared with my other friend (3 of us went to visit) was tight. I took my packing cubes out and put the suitcase in a spare closet but left my clothes in the packing cubes on the closet shelf. I also put a few things on hangers. 

Most trips for 5+ days I unpack. I find it easier than digging through a suitcase and turning everything I so carefully packed into a jumbled mess of clothes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

I actually hate digging around in the suitcase, so if it's 2+ nights I unpack everything. My husband NEVER unpacks and just sort of explodes the suitcase all over his side of the room. It is why we will never ever ever share a suitcase until the end of time.

Same here!  

• Like 2

We recently got back from a 12 day trip where we stayed in 10 different hotels.  Not only did we not unpack the suitcase each night we didn't even unpack the vehicle.  We had 4 suitcases for clothes.  Suitcase #1 was for days 1-4, Suitcase #2 was for days 5-8 and suitcase #3 was for days 9-12.  Suitcase #4 was the dress clothes we needed for a wedding we were attending so I packed everything separate for that so it wouldn't get so wrinkly.  Only that day's suitcase even came into the hotel.  We still had bedding and food (we took all food for the trip with us with the exception of 3 meals), personal items and winter coats for some of the stops to haul in which was still a lot so no way did I want to haul in/out clothes that weren't even needed that day.  Kids baulked at the idea of sharing the suitcase initially because we've never packed that way before.  By the end of the trip they were thanking me for insisting on it because everyone was so tired of hauling stuff in/out as it was, no one relished the idea of having to do more..  

• Like 3