Menu

Just for fun: the best and worst birthday dates

Eos

The best and worst birthday dates  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Based on personal or near-personal experience, what are the worst birthday dates?

• Big holidays like Christmas
    • Same as another family member
    • Notorious dates like 9/11
    • Other
  2. 2. Best dates?

• Holidays or transition days like May 1, September 1
    • Same as a famous person
    • Any date I can remember easily
    • Other

you need to have an "other" option.

mine is right before mother's day.  1ds's . . is right after.  The only good thing is we never actually hit it - it just bounces back and forth.

but the year my bd was the day before mother's day, and sil "announced" I could celebrate my birthday with my family on mother's day because "the family as a whole" was celebrating mother's day FOR MIL ONLY, on my birthday . . . I had enough. I walked out.  (yes, the woman can be completely clueless.  to put it politely.)

other sil has the same birthday as her ex-fil (who is 105, and looks like he's in his 80s) and her oldest dd . . she started celebrating her birthday on another day, and celebrated her daughter's birthday on valentines.

eta: I'm glad 1ds won't actually hit mother's day, and 2ds missed July 4th.  He was late.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

you need to have an "other" option.

mine is right before mother's day.  1ds's . . is right after.  The only good thing is we never actually hit it - it just bounces back and forth.

but the year my bd was the day before mother's day, and sil "announced" I could celebrate my birthday with my family on mother's day because "the family as a whole" was celebrating mother's day FOR MIL ONLY, on my birthday . . . I had enough. I walked out.  (yes, the woman can be completely clueless.  to put it politely.)

other sil has the same birthday as her ex-fil (who is 105, and looks like he's in his 80s) and her oldest dd . . she started celebrating her birthday on another day, and celebrated her daughter's birthday on valentines.

eta: I'm glad 1ds won't actually hit mother's day, and 2ds missed July 4th.  He was late.

OK, added "other" to both, thanks!

My grandmother's birthday was 9/11. I was like, your birthday is a little ruined. She actually laughed and said that was okay, she'd had enough of them anyway.

My nephew's is right before Christmas. Poor kid. His parents have always made it special but as he gets older (he's a teenager now), it's harder to give him its due.

As a middle of summer birthday girl, that was both a blessing and a curse. Blessing because everyone had school off, lake parties, fireworks, etc. But a curse because you never got to have the school-based birthday rituals and sometimes parties were pretty paltry in attendance with everyone away for summer.

• Like 1

My ex-schoolmate was born on Labor Day. She was teased about it even as an adult. 
My niece was born the day after April Fool.

When my dad was working, he would get his monthly paycheck and year end bonus on my birthday. So  my dad would joke that his pay is meant to be splurge on me. My kids and I were born in December so we get Christmas cards instead of birthday cards. 

• Like 1

Dd2 shares a birthday with Hitler. She mentions this all the time so I know it bothers her. 

Dd1’s birthday is January 6. It was good (Epiphany), now notorious. I don’t think it bothers her. SIL’s birthday is Dec 7. I think it used to bother her, but not anymore. 

My birthday is German Reunification Day which my brother reminds me of every year. Being that I don’t live I Germany, it’s neither here nor there for me. I did want to avoid Halloween with one of mine. 

The thing with birthdays is that there not much you can do about it. I think Valentine’s Day would be nice, but, if I were Elizabeth, at this point I would just want the little guy born already!

• Like 1

My sister in law has a Christmas Eve bday. Terrible day, totally subsumed in the holiday.

My Ds shares a birthday with my other sister in law and that had been fun bc we have loads of extended family birthdays in that month and always have a big party. Early summer, nice weather. 

• Like 1

My birthday was a complete two weeks following Christmas and it was still a bit "tainted" by being that close to a big, gift giving holiday. Whatever "big" gift I asked for Christmas was saved and given to me on my birthday. If my brother hadn't had a birthday in August and received 2 big gifts, one for Christmas and one for his birthday, it might not have felt like a big deal. And of course, it was a big deal because I was a child. As an adult, I'm just glad to get it out of the way at the beginning of the year.

• Haha 1

My oldest's birthday is 31 October. All the Halloween tends to overshadow him and he can basically never celebrate on his actual birthday ... but no one cheapskate out on presents lol

My youngest niece's birthday is the day before DH. Easy to remember.  She was pretty annoyed that he had his own cake at her party last year (she was 2, he was 50 lol) 

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I graduated with two kids who had birthdays on February 29 (and they both hated it!), so when my first pregnancy due date was February 26 on a leap year, I freaked out! But no worries, ds was born exactly two weeks late, so I ended up with a mid-March baby. 

My birthday is a week before Christmas. When I was a kid, it really didn’t seem like that big of a deal because Christmas didn’t seem to last for two full months back then. I celebrated my birthday and then it was time to move on to Christmas. Time also moved a lot slower back when I was a kid, so maybe that was part of it too. 

Edited by Just Kate
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

My birthday was a complete two weeks following Christmas and it was still a bit "tainted" by being that close to a big, gift giving holiday. Whatever "big" gift I asked for Christmas was saved and given to me on my birthday. If my brother hadn't had a birthday in August and received 2 big gifts, one for Christmas and one for his birthday, it might not have felt like a big deal. And of course, it was a big deal because I was a child. As an adult, I'm just glad to get it out of the way at the beginning of the year.

My birthday is the week before Christmas and my only sibling’s birthday is a week before mine. So having all December birthdays probably made the gift giving feel more equitable. 

• Like 2

I think the best would be January 1 (federal holiday; can always just subtract to find your age) and any time the weather tends to be lovely & you could celebrate outdoors (early May and early October come to mind).

Easy numeric combinations must also be nice, especially if the day matches the month, so it's the same everywhere in the world. (Another reason 1/1 would be good.)

Mine is close to Christmas, and I'm definitely not a fan. My birthday has never been able to stand on its own.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

My mom’s birthday was December 26.  Honestly, I think it’s the worst possible day.  As she put it, “it’s the day that everyone is physically, emotionally and fiscally spent.”  She hated it.  

That is my son’s birthday. He has always enjoyed it because he gets two days in a row of celebrating and cake. DH has always had that day off work so we could go and do something special. 
DS was premature and almost was born on the 24th. If I had gone back to the hospital even a bit earlier, he would have been born on the 25th. For years, I played, Which would have been worse? But he is a young adult now and still likes his birthday. For me, it is exhausting, but I also always went out of my way to make sure that his birthday was totally separate from Christmas. My sister and I have birthdays right at the holidays and our mother always lumped all three together. My sister and I grew up hating that, which is why I always made sure DS has his own day, with birthday plates and birthday wrapping paper, etc. When DS was younger, I had his birthday parties a week before his birthday and the other parents loved it because I offered drop off babysitting so they could do last minute errands or wrap presents without their kids around. When he was older, we would do a party on his birthday, but at a bowling alley or laser tag place and the parents would say they looked forward to their kids having someplace to go and burn off the Christmas energy. 

• Like 3

From observing relatives, many of whom have birthdays right around Christmas, either a few days before or a day or two afterwards -- It seems to me that having a birthday in the first couple of weeks of January is worse than having one right before or a day or two after Christmas. Right before Christmas through NYD everyone is in a happy, celebratory mood. Eat, drink, spread the good cheer and be merry. After NYD and . . . stick a fork in 'em, they are done done done with gathering and eating and happy happy joy joy and don't even want to think about celebrating anything. 

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

My sister's birthday is the day before mine. I HATED it growing up. It meant that we had shared birthday parties. The family one's. I wanted my own family party. So did she. Neither of us ever got to have a family party that was just about us. It meant one birthday dinner out as well. And yes, your birthday is supposed to be just about you. At least from child's perspective.

As an adult, it doesn't bother me. 

• Like 1

I have 5 kids. Two get smooshed in holiday weekends, one is a week before Christmas, one is 3 days after my birthday, and one is in my extended family’s giant birthday month.  Some of them also share dates or close dates with (out of state) cousins.  At this point, nothing matters!

I do dislike single digit dates. If it’s June, I find it hard to think about July 1st.  I have 2 kids on 1sts.   
I also have 2 kids and an anniversary on 18ths.  
Two kids are in May.  
When I’m asked to give someone’s birthdate, I have to be careful not to mix them up.

• Like 2

My son's birthday is the day before Halloween. We aren't fans of that, because we aren't a big Halloween family (not into scary things). Everyone also feels like or hopes my son's birthday party is going to be Halloween based. It's "no big deal" so it's sort of hard to push parents to not dress up for the party and not to dress their kids up for the party. My issue is it gets awkward when 20% of the people are dressed up like it's a Halloween party and everyone else is dressed like it's a regular little kid party.

My aunt and I have birthdays within a week of each other. I actually love it. We usually just have a single birthday party for the both of us and I loved it as a kid so I could get good adult food for my birthday party instead of kid food.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

My sister's birthday is the day before mine. I HATED it growing up. It meant that we had shared birthday parties. The family one's. I wanted my own family party. So did she. Neither of us ever got to have a family party that was just about us. It meant one birthday dinner out as well. And yes, your birthday is supposed to be just about you. At least from child's perspective.

As an adult, it doesn't bother me. 

My boys who had birthdays on 3/22 and 3/23 both loved going out to Golden Corral for their birthday meal. I *hate* the place passionately but the whole family would go out to eat at Golden Corral two days in a row. Just goes to show how much I love those guys. LOL They would have hated the shared birthdays too. Being 5 years apart, it was less tempting to have them share a party because their likes and their friends were so vastly different.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

My boys who had birthdays on 3/22 and 3/23 both loved going out to Golden Corral for their birthday meal. I *hate* the place passionately but the whole family would go out to eat at Golden Corral two days in a row. Just goes to show how much I love those guys. LOL They would have hated the shared birthdays too. Being 5 years apart, it was less tempting to have them share a party because their likes and their friends were so vastly different.

Our friends parties were separate once I was around 8-9. It was the family party, with grandparents & such that were together. I love that you let your boys each have their own dinner out. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

3 hours ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

My mom’s birthday was December 26.  Honestly, I think it’s the worst possible day.  As she put it, “it’s the day that everyone is physically, emotionally and fiscally spent.”  She hated it.  

My dd21 has the worst birthday in the family. It's January 7. Christmas and New Years' has everyone partied out and most of the time, friends are sick or there's terrible weather so nobody can get out to celebrate. Can't tell you how many times we've all been sick on her birthday.

Dd25 has the second worst birthday. Her;s is December 1. Right after Thanksgiving, but still there's Christmas too right around the corner. 

Dd15 has the third worst birthday. December 11. I usually try to wait till after his birthday to put up the Christmas tree.

(Apparently in my marriage, March is a very good month) 

My dd17 (birthday 4/4) has among the kids, the best birthday. Her siblings envy her.

I've always loved when my birthday was, (9/9/1979) Easy to remember, lovely weather. All good things happen in September. 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Melissa Louise said:

Mine is the best day, because it is always, without fail, the most glorious autumn weather.

Just after Christmas (one of my dc) is not ideal.

Mine comes on a warm day but not too warm. It’s perfect. I think it’s the nicest month of the year. My son has a birthday on what is usually the worst, coldest day of the winter. 

• Like 2

I think the worst is notorious dates like 9-11. Although ON Christmas and ON NYE are a close second. Fun fact: one of my nieces chose to get married ON NYE and I thought that makes an unfortunate anniversary date. Just MPO, of course, but…can’t go out for your anniversary unless you also fight NY crowds; people never remember your anniversary; if you want to do fun NYE things with your kids, they are cramping your anniversary celebration; I kind of hate NYE in general…

I chose Other for best day because I like even numbers. And then I also like patterned numbers. My dd’s birthdate is my birthdate and dh’s multiplied (all in April; 2x8=16). My son’s is 11-8-99, which is sort of patterned (1+8 = 9). And my youngest is 12-04-04. My grandfather had the Holy Grail of patterns: 08-08-08. 

• Haha 1

My brother's bd is on Christmas - easy to remember, but hard to celebrate. We always did Christmas in the morning, and birthday in the afternoon. My kids were all planned c-sections and oldest could've had Valentine's day or the day after - he really, really, really stressed that we should pick the day after a holiday. 

• Haha 1

Mom’s birthday was Dec 31 and she didn’t really like it.  Nephew is Jan 1, and as a kid he didn’t like it. Parents tired from partying the night before so he never had many kids show up for a birthday party.

Dh’s is today-2/13. Easy to remember, but since we don’t often do treats, his birthday gets ‘done’ and Valentine’s Day is just ignored. He asked for y lasagna for his birthday dinner, so tomorrow we’ll have leftovers of that and leftover birthday cake. Boring! 

• Like 1

One of mine was born the day after Thanksgiving, which was fabulous for me to eat all the leftovers when I was ravenous right after her birth!  But some years it falls on Thanksgiving which is kind of awkward because she wants chocolate birthday cake instead of pumpkin pie and no party.

Edited by Eos
  • Like 1

My birthday is the day before April Fool's day. Never minded it. My birthday falls on Easter once in a blue moon and I actually like when that happens lol. More chocolate for me! 

Youngest ds's birthday is Jan 2. He likes it because he gets presents for Christmas and then a week later presents for his birthday.

My grandmother's birthday was 2/2. Her daughter's birthday is 4/4 and her son (my dad)'s birthday is 9/9. No idea if that was all by chance or design.

When I was married to my ex husband, we had "birthday season" from February - July with one birthday every month except for May where my oldest son and youngest daughter both have birthdays 4 days apart.

• Like 1

One of mine has a bday a few days after Christmas which I don't think would be anyone's favorite, but she has a good attitude about it. She always has a super long Christmas/birthday wishlist--way more than her sister, so it's good that we have two different events for all the gifts! And we always get her something for her half-birthday too so it's not quite so long between gifts.

• Like 1