Menu

So this is happening...

sweet2ndchance

Congrats 🙂

I have a friend who had her youngest at 45, he is very happy, healthy, and was such a blessing to them but I will tell you the joke they use when people question their age... "We thought 'why wait on grandkids....let's just have them ourselves'" 🤣

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 2
  • Haha 15

8 hours ago, easypeasy said:

Congratulations!!! Fingers crossed for a sticky pregnancy and for your good health throughout!

I'd love to have another baby now, but I'm 50, so it isn't gonna happen. We almost adopted a baby a couple of years ago, but there were complications that popped up that made the baby un-adoptable, despite the birth mother's wishes. 😞 Then, we got our bonus kid at 17 and he finished out our family....

but, man. I'd sure take another baby any day. Just knowing how much more relaxed I would be as a mom, I'd love to test it out. 😄

I know someone who had a shotgun wedding at 50.  So you never know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

35 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Color me jealous. 😉 

I struggled with infertility for a long time and when I finally got the positive test, I oddly enough did not feel happy about it for a while. Thankful, yes; happy, no. Totally normal, I'd say! 

Congratulations, dear!!! We are all happy for you and celebrating this new life. 

Same! It took me 3 years to get pregnant with my first, so I should have been crazy happy, but I was not. Just being honest, I never really even feel bonded to my unborn baby. It’s bizarre because I couldn’t imagine this is how I would be. I of course know now it will be love at first sight after baby is born. I called and cried to my mom daily with my first worrying about why I didn’t love my baby.

• Like 3

Oh, congrats! I will be 38 when I deliver this summer, and one of my main concerns has been the age difference between my two other children (they will be 12 and 10 when baby is born). However, I will say that I am more excited for this baby than I was in my twenties, I think there is just less apprehension because I am older. With my first, I had never held a baby before, not one at all, lol, so I was afraid! 

So, I say enjoy it. Being in your forties is a lovely age to have a baby, you are wiser, and you are capable! I have had to remind myself to be more faithful in regards to miscarriage. I too, think about that constantly, but just have faith. All will be well:))

Again, congratulations and blessings to you:))

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ack! I've been doing too much research I think! I'm reading about Type 2 diabetes and pregnancy and now I'm afraid that I've already ruined everything because my blood glucose has not been optimal since having my teeth removed for dentures! My doctor was fine with my numbers being off for a while until I got my dentures but being pregnant was never part of that plan! Now I'm scrambling trying to decide if I should send her a message now and let her know I'm pregnant and should we switch up my meds now or just wait until I see her next Friday. Normally I'd be fine waiting a week but we are at prime time for birth defect prevention right now! Or maybe it's already too late. 😞 

Yes, I'm a worry wart and an overthinker by nature even when I'm not pregnant. The doctor should get back with me before the end of the day if I send the message now. She usually does anyways. But I hate to bother her when I'm just going to see her next Friday anyways. Ugh! WWYD?

12 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

Ack! I've been doing too much research I think! I'm reading about Type 2 diabetes and pregnancy and now I'm afraid that I've already ruined everything because my blood glucose has not been optimal since having my teeth removed for dentures! My doctor was fine with my numbers being off for a while until I got my dentures but being pregnant was never part of that plan! Now I'm scrambling trying to decide if I should send her a message now and let her know I'm pregnant and should we switch up my meds now or just wait until I see her next Friday. Normally I'd be fine waiting a week but we are at prime time for birth defect prevention right now! Or maybe it's already too late. 😞 

Yes, I'm a worry wart and an overthinker by nature even when I'm not pregnant. The doctor should get back with me before the end of the day if I send the message now. She usually does anyways. But I hate to bother her when I'm just going to see her next Friday anyways. Ugh! WWYD?

I would send the message.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, sweet2ndchance said:

Congratulations!  My last pregnancy at 40 was by far my healthiest and easiest.

Agree with @busymama7about lots of protein lowering risk of pre-eclampsia.  Especially if you tend to spill sugar - every time you crave something sweet, eat protein!  Homebirth midwives have really excellent stats for low incidence of pre-eclampsia mostly related to nutritional advice, in my opinion (retired midwife.)  Make carbs count this time around: use complex, low-glycemic carbs to "protect" the protein you're eating.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sweet2ndchance said:

I was type 2 during my last and my numbers were good overall but not in the beginning because I was diagnoses during my 1st trimester.  So my numbers were good from like 20 weeks on but who knows before. The baby was fine.  I had an extra ultrasound.  I had weekly scans and fetal heart rate monitoring weekly from 34 (?)weeks on.  Baby was induced at 37 weeks.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, freesia said:

I’m glad you did. Did she get back to you? It will most likely be fine.No more googling!😃

No she didn’t get back to me today. I’m sure she will on Monday though. She’s always been good about getting back to emails as quick as she can. Dh cut me off google for the evening lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, rebcoola said:

I was type 2 during my last and my numbers were good overall but not in the beginning because I was diagnoses during my 1st trimester.  So my numbers were good from like 20 weeks on but who knows before. The baby was fine.  I had an extra ultrasound.  I had weekly scans and fetal heart rate monitoring weekly from 34 (?)weeks on.  Baby was induced at 37 weeks.

I’m so glad to here that all went well for you even though your numbers were probably high during the first trimester! I’m really hoping that I’m worrying for nothing and all will work out well here too!

• Like 1

Oh wow! All your feelings are understandable!

i had a very dear friend who became pregnant at 49 and had her youngest son shortly before her 50th birthday. That son was born healthy, with no complications. He is 18 now, making plans to leave home and go to college. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

One of my sisters is currently pregnant with her first at 41. She is about halfway through and it is going well so far. She thought she might not even be able to conceive, and she and her fiance were considering not having children, but now she has a surprise pregnancy and they are super excited!

Congratulations to them!  My SIL is 42 and doing IUI and fertility meds this month and probably next month.  I am really hoping it works! 

• Like 3

First, congratulations! May everything go smoothly and you welcome a new, wonderful person to your family later this year.

Second, I had Little Man at 44 eight years after DD and 11 years after my last boy. Our oldest son was 20 when LM was born.

Starting over was actually fun. All the new car seats and such out now made researching a blast. He is such a blessing and a joy to all of us. Being older I know what I'm doing more. I'm definitely more laidback! He gets focused one on one time more than the older kids did at this age. I had a lot of littles at one time!

Downside is I'm more tired and creaky. I can't get down on the floor and wrestle him or chase around like I could with the olders. He gets a little lonely with 3 teens in the house. And he can't get away with anything! But the 3 teens are great for helping with him, too. They can pick him up when needed, feed him, play with him, read to him, etc. They are awesome. In a way, raising LM has become a family affair. We all pitch in.

If I could do it again, I would in a heartbeat, naseua and all!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I am hoping your doc was able to get back to you yesterday.  Sending some good vibes your way

I was just coming back to update, lol! She got back to me today (we are in the middle of that big ice storm so I imagine she is working from home) and she's going to switch me to insulin.

I haven't been able to make an OB appointment because of the ice storm either. Hopefully Thursday it will be cleared up enough that their office will be open.

I am having some spotting so I'll take all the good vibes I get! No cramping and it's only when I wipe so I know in my head it's probably nothing to worry about but I'd love to have some confirmation that it really is nothing.

Thanks so much for thinking of me! 🥰

• Like 16

6 hours ago, sweet2ndchance said:

I was just coming back to update, lol! She got back to me today (we are in the middle of that big ice storm so I imagine she is working from home) and she's going to switch me to insulin.

I haven't been able to make an OB appointment because of the ice storm either. Hopefully Thursday it will be cleared up enough that their office will be open.

I am having some spotting so I'll take all the good vibes I get! No cramping and it's only when I wipe so I know in my head it's probably nothing to worry about but I'd love to have some confirmation that it really is nothing.

Thanks so much for thinking of me! 🥰

Please get your progesterone checked asap or just get it prescribed due to age if they will.  

• Like 4

I had first trimester spotting (next to nothing) in my first trimester with my first child. My placenta was very low, and they said that was probably why. Everything was fine--the placenta moved up(?) and was not in the way later on (not sure how that works--too long ago, and they were kind of vague).

• Like 3

I just found my old notes from youngest ds's pregnancy. I made note of bleeding, similar to what I'm having now, with his pregnancy. It's amazing what you forget in 10 years lol. I feel little better knowing I had the same issue with my last successful pregnancy. Still not breathing completely easy but I feel a little more reassured. 🙂 

• Like 7

I'm pretty sure I've miscarried. 😞 I don't think you could bleed this much and still be pregnant. I'm keeping my OB appointment so I can have a regular OB/Gyn again but my hopes aren't very high that I will still be pregnant. My primary doctor ordered a quantitative HcG for me on Friday. I had the blood drawn but the test result said there wasn't enough blood in the sample and I would have to come back. I will probably do that Monday or Tuesday. (I get my dentures on Monday which is a 90 minute drive in a completely different direction from the doctor)

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers.

• Sad 49

On 1/27/2023 at 8:22 AM, Ann.without.an.e said:

Congrats 🙂

I have a friend who had her youngest at 45, he is very happy, healthy, and was such a blessing to them but I will tell you the joke they use when people question their age... "We thought 'why wait on grandkids....let's just have them ourselves'" 🤣

Dh still makes that joke . . . .  and "what would Christmas be like without (small) children?  we may never find out."

he was born the year 1dd graduated from college.

It would get annoying when we were all out together, and people would assume he was hers.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, sweet2ndchance said:

I'm pretty sure I've miscarried. 😞 I don't think you could bleed this much and still be pregnant. I'm keeping my OB appointment so I can have a regular OB/Gyn again but my hopes aren't very high that I will still be pregnant. My primary doctor ordered a quantitative HcG for me on Friday. I had the blood drawn but the test result said there wasn't enough blood in the sample and I would have to come back. I will probably do that Monday or Tuesday. (I get my dentures on Monday which is a 90 minute drive in a completely different direction from the doctor)

I am so sorry. ((((Hugs))))

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sweet2ndchance said:

So sorry. Hang in there. 
many (((hugs)))

• Like 1