Menu

What is your favorite hand lotion for very dry skin during the winter?

Indigo Blue

I always used Neutrogena Norwegian formula hand cream before bed, but at the moment I'm using Gold Bond hand cream which is really nice and not so ointment-like. Eucerin hand cream is good too. It has almost no scent, Gold Bond slightly more but not annoyingly so. All just stuff I can find at Target.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Not lotion but for serious dry hand repair we rub in lanolin at bedtime, then cover hands with socks because it's greasy. By morning your skin will be soft and smooth.

Rarely have we had to do it twice, due to lanolin's magical healing powers 🐑

We use lanolin too for prevention of callouses or on callous (my husband). It does have magical powers. 😂 He does not usually use lotion. I forgot about that. 

As an everyday product, my son and I use eucerin for after showers or doing the dishes. He had eczema when he was younger. 

I’ve never regularly used lotion. On occasion I’ve used Neutrogena Norwegian Hand Creme at night. My hands have been dry & rough so I recently picked up some Eucerin in a pump bottle. I like it so far. My dermatologist advised me to use Vaseline with gloves at night. I ordered gloves and picked up the Vaseline today. Hopefully it will help. 

• Like 1

Because I wash my hands so often I use a thick beeswax based cream from Bert's Bees.  It's meant to be a foot cream, but I mix a little more coconut oil in it to help it spread easier.  Dh gets me stocking stuffers of little hand creams from Bath & Body Works or the like so I have something in my purse, and they work well, too. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

My mom gave me some The Naked Bee for Christmas and I’m enjoying it more than expected. I’ve been using it throughout the day (after hand washing and such). https://nakedbee.com/collections/orange-blossom-honey-hand-body-lotion

That's good to know - I see that brand often and didn't know how it worked.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Acadie said:

Not lotion but for serious dry hand repair we rub in lanolin at bedtime, then cover hands with socks because it's greasy. By morning your skin will be soft and smooth.

This method works with other really thick creams too, and it's my go-to because I wash my hands so often that it's better than lotion alone. 

Besides lanolin, Mary Kay night cream works, and I also sometimes use my homemade lotion bars (beeswax, shea butter, and sweet almond oil). I think Burt's Bees has an almond oil cream that I've used this way. I would not be surprised if straight shea butter would work also. 

I know if I soak my feet in epsom salts first and exfoliate, it works much better than just putting thick emollient on and covering with socks. You probably don't need to exfoliate your hands (lol!), but I bet the epsom salts soften things so that a good lube up before bed would be more effective. 

Edited by kbutton
typo that made things unclear
  • Like 3

Weleda Skin Food. Saved my hands through the years of multiple kids in cloth diapers.  One of the main ingredients is lanolin, along with sunflower and sweet almond oil, and beeswax. It's nice and thick and lasts, but absorbs much better than straight lanolin.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Acadie said:

I didn't realize you could buy/use plain lanolin.  Is there a particular brand you recommend?  Do you know if Whole Foods has lanolin?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kassia said:

That's good to know - I see that brand often and didn't know how it worked.  

It’s more scented than I’m used to (being a CeraVe devotee), but the smell doesn’t linger too strongly.  It’s definitely lighter than the CeraVe cream, but it dries nicely (not tacky or slippery — I hate lotions that feel tacky!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ditto said:

I didn't realize you could buy/use plain lanolin.  Is there a particular brand you recommend?  Do you know if Whole Foods has lanolin?

Target and many other drugstores carry Lansinoh lanolin to heal cracked nipples when breastfeeding, which is how I first learned of it. Our pediatrician said it was fine for dds to nurse right after applying Lansinoh, which reassured me for other uses. We also used it as super diaper cream and kept buying for dry skin. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I remember buying plain lanolin from WF for (nipp1e) use during breastfeeding…

1 minute ago, Acadie said:

Target and many other drugstores carry Lansinoh lanolin to heal cracked nipples when breastfeeding, which is how I first learned of it. Our pediatrician said it was fine for dds to nurse right after applying Lansinoh, which reassured me for other uses. We also used it as super diaper cream and kept buying for dry skin. 

Thank you both for the lanolin info!    Now I know what to look for and where.  

Some of my favorite hand lotions/creams:  Trader Joe's,  Burts Bees,  Eucerin.   

• Like 2

For those with babies reading this thread--lanolin is not good for yeast diaper rashes, because it can lock a yeast infection under an oil coating.

But for just plain raw/dry/irritated skin there's truly nothing better! 

We used clotrimazole cream to treat yeast rash and lanolin for regular diaper rash. For diaper rash if we tried one and it wasn't clearly helping in a day or two, then we would try the other. One of the two always worked. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ditto said:

Thank you both for the lanolin info!    Now I know what to look for and where.  

Some of my favorite hand lotions/creams:  Trader Joe's,  Burts Bees,  Eucerin.   

One thing to note about lanolin… our dermatologist said lots of eczema sufferers have allergies to lanolin (which is also in Aquaphor, which most people tolerate very well). My youngest had issues that we were treating with the latter (and should’ve resolved with it but only got worse). Reason: lanolin allergy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BobKat Naturals Beeswax dry skin balm.

https://www.bobkatnaturals.com/Rub-It-Skin-Balms-s/1814.htm

Make sure it is a little warm and rub the whole bar against your skin. It doesn't contain water like a liquid lotion which I think makes it work better. It works miracles overnight when your hands are so dry that they are cracked and chapped and bleeding and is a good protective layer to put on before doing the dishes. There are other good brands of beeswax lotion bars as well on Amazon. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

One thing to note about lanolin… our dermatologist said lots of eczema sufferers have allergies to lanolin (which is also in Aquaphor, which most people tolerate very well). My youngest had issues that we were treating with the latter (and should’ve resolved with it but only got worse). Reason: lanolin allergy. 

Oh this is interesting. Thank you. I get eczema outbreaks on my hands mostly (but not this fall/winter come to think of it). I love Eucerin cream as my daily face moisturizer and I remember getting Aquaphor once thinking it was the same thing and I did not like it. I can't remember if I had a reaction to it or what it was I didn't like--it just burned in my memory to not get that again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

That is very interesting!  My dd also had issues with Aquaphor and I didn't know about the lanolin.  Aquaphor was awful for her.  I'll mention the lanolin to her as something to look out for.  Thank you!

• Like 2

This one from Flower City Soap Company is the best I've ever tried for seriously dry hands:

https://flowercitysoaps.com/products/hemp-seed-butter-body-balm?_pos=1&_sid=5def81121&_ss=r

It's a small business owned by a Canadian woman. Her products are excellent - I love her lip balms. She also makes products for dogs like oatmeal soap and paw & nose balm.🐶 All of her products are vegan and cruelty free.

• Thanks 1

This conversation reminds me of the time I got terrible blisters from lotion! I didn't realize why! It was aquafor, and not cheap, but it was so awful that I threw the rest of the bottle away.

Good to know I'm not the only person who experienced an issue with it, and I'll avoid lanolin products. 

• Like 1

Cetaphil Pro Eczema Soothing Moisturizer (unscented). (Apparently new packaging doesn't have the "Pro" on it.)

I don't have eczema but my skin is extremely sensitive. When my hands get dry in winter, most lotions make my skin feel like it's burning. Not this. It's so soothing.

https://www.target.com/p/cetaphil-restoraderm-skin-restoring-body-moisturizer-unscented-10oz/-/A-13389382?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df_free_online&CPNG=Beauty&adgroup=37-12

• Like 2

14 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

And this is why Lansinoh was formulated. :-)  It is hypoallergenic.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Vanicream…for those with sensitive skin. 

We moved mostly to this as well. I still have some older bottles of lotion (scattered throughout the house) that I need to finish up. 
Their face wash products are very nice too.  But they are still new enough that our one store that carries their products does not carry all of them. 

I really like the Wedela products as well, but most of the scents bother me. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1