Menu

Face-to-face school - anyone else's kids start yet?

heartlikealion

Oregon has fallen in line with teacher vaccine mandates according to this morning's announcement. Note that currently in Oregon, last I checked, there were no ICU beds in the southern district, one in the central district, and most seriously ill people in need of a bed were getting shipped to the Portland metro, which is almost at staffed bed capacity.  We're being told all non-life threatening ER visits should instead be directed to urgent care or primary care as ERs are full and overflowing.  Oregon has already deployed the national guard to help with logistical support and staffing, and is deploying another 500 (to make 2000 total?) on Friday. 

Washington state has a teacher vaccine mandate: https://www.npr.org/sections/back-to-school-live-updates/2021/08/19/1029282381/teachers-in-washington-state-must-get-vaccinated-or-they-could-be-fired (private, public, and charter schools) Washington also has an indoor mask mandate.

Oregon teacher vaccine mandate: https://www.kptv.com/news/brown-announces-covid-19-vaccine-mandate-for-oregon-k-12-teachers-staff/article_27e51384-0112-11ec-9d6e-c3dfa750efc7.html  It's unclear whether it will apply to private schools or state universities.   Oregon has an indoor mask mandate.

California teacher vaccine mandate is vaccine or weekly testing, unless it has changed recently: https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/11/us/california-school-employees-vaccinated-newsom/index.html

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Spryte said:

So much for transparency.

Right? I can tell you why. It's because we used to have a red/yellow/green system where schools would close according to disease activity in the area, not just in the schools, and there is a strong push to at least start in person this year.  I actually think there is a push to just stay open, no matter what, and let individual schools close as needed.  The governor hinted as much during this morning's press conference.

Oregon is only a blue state from Salem to Portland metro. The rest is very, very red and politics are super divisive right now.  It's also very telling that Portland hospitals are full mostly from patients in very red counties with low vaccination rates.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Spryte said:

If your school has a Covid dashboard, how often is it updated?

Our school district hasn’t updated since Aug 13.  Ugh!

Our school doesn't have one. The state updates the dashboard every Friday.  Last year, though, the numbers that I knew about didn't match the numbers in the state's database. I really think they fudged the numbers, for one thing, it is easy to say they didn't catch it at school and if I remember correctly, that is all they reported. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Spryte said:

Our county's is updated daily, but the numbers are questionable. There is a chart showing "new" cases and one showing "active" cases. A case is supposed to be counted as "active" until the individual (could be student or staff) returns to school. Unless these new cases are returning to school after only a day or two, numbers are disappearing into thin air. Close contacts and "probable" cases (those who had symptoms and are awaiting test results) are also shown in separate columns from "confirmed" cases on both charts. 

I was starting to think that maybe I was just misunderstanding the charts, but DS said one of his friends pulled them up at lunch the other day and was talking about how they didn't add up. 

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Spryte said:

According to the school district where I work. Bolding is theirs:

The data below represents the number of confirmed active COVID-19 cases among students and staff who were on a site(s) during their infectious period. This data will be updated regularly as cases are confirmed. 

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Oregon has fallen in line with teacher vaccine mandates according to this morning's announcement. Note that currently in Oregon, last I checked, there were no ICU beds in the southern district, one in the central district, and most seriously ill people in need of a bed were getting shipped to the Portland metro, which is almost at staffed bed capacity.  We're being told all non-life threatening ER visits should instead be directed to urgent care or primary care as ERs are full and overflowing.  Oregon has already deployed the national guard to help with logistical support and staffing, and is deploying another 500 (to make 2000 total?) on Friday. 

Washington state has a teacher vaccine mandate: https://www.npr.org/sections/back-to-school-live-updates/2021/08/19/1029282381/teachers-in-washington-state-must-get-vaccinated-or-they-could-be-fired (private, public, and charter schools) Washington also has an indoor mask mandate.

Oregon teacher vaccine mandate: https://www.kptv.com/news/brown-announces-covid-19-vaccine-mandate-for-oregon-k-12-teachers-staff/article_27e51384-0112-11ec-9d6e-c3dfa750efc7.html  It's unclear whether it will apply to private schools or state universities.   Oregon has an indoor mask mandate.

California teacher vaccine mandate is vaccine or weekly testing, unless it has changed recently: https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/11/us/california-school-employees-vaccinated-newsom/index.html

Yes for CA, although Culver City Unified School District just upped it to students, staff, and faculty must be vaccinated by November. I assume they will also accept religious and medical exemptions: https://abc7.com/culver-city-school-district-covid-vaccine-mandate/10961547/

The only reason they shut down is because they couldn't find enough staff.  This is madness. If it had been the flu, they would have shut down for a week long before this.  And they just started a week ago, I think. Sheer madness. Just let it run through. As long as you have staff, keep going...

https://www.kltv.com/2021/08/19/waskom-isd-superintendent-50-60-elementary-school-staff-out-due-covid-19/

On a  better note, the Supreme Court said that schools can not make masks mandatory. But how many districts have the political will to do so?

Edited by TexasProud

36 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

The only reason they shut down is because they couldn't find enough staff.  This is madness. If it had been the flu, they would have shut down for a week long before this.  And they just started a week ago, I think. Sheer madness. Just let it run through. As long as you have staff, keep going...

https://www.kltv.com/2021/08/19/waskom-isd-superintendent-50-60-elementary-school-staff-out-due-covid-19/

On a  better note, the Supreme Court said that schools can not make masks mandatory. But how many districts have the political will to do so?

The way this reads is that schools can not mandate masks- when TX supreme court has said that schools CAN mandate masks.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/08/20/covid-mask-mandates-delta-variant-states-biden-administration/8205425002/

(first link I found)

• Like 3

My older daughter is taking health (required in high school here) and of all her teachers, of course it's her health teacher who does everything in her power to avoid wearing her mask. The mask she does wear is apparently very open-weave. (I peeked at this teacher's FB profile and guess who she voted for in 2020?).

But I'm so proud of my daughter! She has social anxiety but she's not afraid to speak up when something is wrong. She point-blank told her teacher "Put on your mask." Our state is very clear that masks are mandated in schools, and I know the schools are enforcing this. I would LOVE for my daughter to be sent to the principal's office by this teacher for insubordination. 

(Also her health teacher openly advocates for triggering techniques used by those with eating disorders, and did not appreciate being called on it by my DD. I feel like an epic showdown is brewing. It's sad when the students are smarter than the teachers).

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, OH_Homeschooler said:

My older daughter is taking health (required in high school here) and of all her teachers, of course it's her health teacher who does everything in her power to avoid wearing her mask. The mask she does wear is apparently very open-weave. (I peeked at this teacher's FB profile and guess who she voted for in 2020?).

But I'm so proud of my daughter! She has social anxiety but she's not afraid to speak up when something is wrong. She point-blank told her teacher "Put on your mask." Our state is very clear that masks are mandated in schools, and I know the schools are enforcing this. I would LOVE for my daughter to be sent to the principal's office by this teacher for insubordination. 

(Also her health teacher openly advocates for triggering techniques used by those with eating disorders, and did not appreciate being called on it by my DD. I feel like an epic showdown is brewing. It's sad when the students are smarter than the teachers).

Bravo!  Standing ovation for your DD!

She is very brave.  I hope her teacher starts wearing her mask properly, and knocks it off with the eating disorder triggers.  Good for your DD for saying something!

- From a former shy teen who also had a showdown with a PE/health teacher, and had to take a stand.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Spryte said:

Bravo!  Standing ovation for your DD!

She is very brave.  I hope her teacher starts wearing her mask properly, and knocks it off with the eating disorder triggers.  Good for your DD for saying something!

- From a former shy teen who also had a showdown with a PE/health teacher, and had to take a stand.

Thank you. Even her classmates were impressed. 

• Like 5

My kids started yesterday.  They are all vaccinated and wearing a mask.  There is no mask mandate, and it looks about 50/50 based on Open House and kids walking in the first day of school.  

My husband and I have decided to make sure they have a mask in the morning and then not make a big deal about it.  

My husband is honestly not concerned about them since they are vaccinated, and it is a concession to me that we are back in masks at all.  

Edit:  my 16yo also thinks we should be back in masks, he has opinions that are independent from ours on this (and just happen to be the same).  

Edited by Lecka

On 8/19/2021 at 7:24 AM, Spryte said:

Daily.

I received two "potential exposure" emails this week from DD's high school, but I think they send it to everyone in the school because there are only 3 positive cases in her school of over 2000 kids. Some of the elementary schools are at about 15 cases though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, amiesmom said:

Daily.

I received two "potential exposure" emails this week from DD's high school, but I think they send it to everyone in the school because there are only 3 positive cases in her school of over 2000 kids. Some of the elementary schools are at about 15 cases though.

I’m sorry for the potential exposure, but glad your school is reporting.

Our school district hasn’t updated since Aug 13, a week ago.  Since school only started on the 12th, they’ve reported a whopping two days.  I’m irritated.  My kids homeschool, but this is our community and community spread is everyone’s concern.  Our kids’ BFFs are in PS here, all our friends have kids in PS. The kids in our extracurriculars all attend PS. It would be nice to have more info. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Soror said:

The way this reads is that schools can not mandate masks- when TX supreme court has said that schools CAN mandate masks.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/08/20/covid-mask-mandates-delta-variant-states-biden-administration/8205425002/

(first link I found)

This just changed yesterday. It's been confusing here in TX. This is also temporary - until the cases can be heard.  I'm also not sure at all it will do any good. You will have a fair number of folks who won't have their kids mask because Governor said you can't make them, and it will be hard to enforce if you have over 50% of the school unmasked. 

Edited by Bambam

We use mask frames inside of our fabric masks if we have to wear them for any length of time.  If you have a good fit, they suck in when you breathe, so it is definitely nice to have some "space" in there at least mentally.  

Enro and happy masks each have their own frame design, but we just have some cheap amazon ones.  As long as you can still get a good mask fit, should be fine.  We also just send them through the dishwasher after use.  

https://www.amazon.com/Cool-Protection-Stand-Comfortable-Breathing/dp/B088CT535G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=mask+frames&qid=1629485767&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE3NTE3RlBTTjBMVUomZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzNzI1ODgxVFRBRFA3V1g0QjI1JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzODU1MzgyTkNXQzNCQ1FTQ1FDJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

• Like 1

You guys, I saw this headline and got a little worried.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/florida-board-of-education-gives-school-districts-ultimatum-on-masks/ar-AANyjYl?li=BBnb7Kz

But then I read it and now I just can't stop laughing.  Every time I try to go do something it pops back into my head and I start giggling all over that they are are threatening to withhold about $2500.  I'm picturing someone trying to carjack me, but instead of pointing a gun he says, "give me your car with your child inside or I'll tell all my friends you're a poopy-head."  Can't stop laughing.  Sorry, I know this is serious.  I guess I just figured everyone might enjoy a laugh.

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 2

Just now, Syllieann said:

You guys, I saw this headline and got a little worried.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/florida-board-of-education-gives-school-districts-ultimatum-on-masks/ar-AANyjYl?li=BBnb7Kz

But then I read it and now I just can't stop laughing.  Every time I try to go do so getting it pops back into my head and I start giggling all over that they are are threatening to withhold about $2500.  I'm picturing someone trying to carjack me, but instead of pointing a gun he says, "give me your car with your child inside or I'll tell all my friends you're a poopy-head."  Can't stop laughing.  Sorry, I know this is serious.  I guess I just figured everyone might enjoy a laugh.

This threat has been enough to keep my dang district from trying a real mask mandate...

• Sad 4

Our local school board just cancelled a meeting because according to the district security personnel who are monitoring social media, they expected a large anti-mask protest they were not prepared to handle staff-wise. The masking mandate is state wide, so it’s not as though the board can even do anything about it. Things got pretty out of control during the public comment portion of the last meeting related to the mask mandate with some parents opposed and some students wanting it. The board leaders have issued a statement calling on the community to do better and set a better example for the students in the district.

• Sad 3

On 8/19/2021 at 11:26 AM, prairiewindmomma said:

Oregon is only a blue state from Salem to Portland metro. The rest is very, very red and politics are super divisive right now.  It's also very telling that Portland hospitals are full mostly from patients in very red counties with low vaccination rates.  

While I agree the Portland metro area is blue, I’d say Salem is pretty purple. All of the county commissioners are R and they want pandemic control back from the Governor, even though they did nothing when they had it. The school board just flipped from right leaning to left leaning. And during the last presidential election, it was almost too close to call. The vaccine rates is also middling. About right in the middle between the relatively high rates in the Portland metro area and the two major college towns south of Salem and the depressing and deadly low rates in the more rural parts of the state. 

One of the counties south of Salem with a major state university just added an outdoor mask mandate to the Governor’s statewide indoor mask mandate. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Soror said:

(first link I found)

Sorry. Posted quickly on phone.  Yes, they said Abbott cannot ban districts from  mandating masks.  But as someone said, it is only temporary. 

I know at a certain point I should stop being surprised, but I can't believe that they're letting this insane experiment with kids' health go on so long. Mask optional district next to me just released its weekly numbers: 720 cases (not quarantines--actual cases), up from 480 last week and 166 the week before that. almost 42,000 students, so it comes out to an incidence rate of 1718/100,000 this week. For reference, the 14 day incidence rate in the county as a whole is 613. 

I'm waiting to see what the numbers are like this week in our county (with a mask mandate), but I'm not expecting great things here, either. My husband teaches in this county, and I don't hear encouraging stuff about compliance this year (there was a positive case on the volleyball team the other day; no quarantines for asymptomatic people this year, so the whole volleyball team is still coming to school, and he walked past all of them having a meeting in a classroom after school the other day...with no masks).

• Sad 9

24 minutes ago, kokotg said:

My husband teaches in this county, and I don't hear encouraging stuff about compliance this year (there was a positive case on the volleyball team the other day; no quarantines for asymptomatic people this year, so the whole volleyball team is still coming to school, and he walked past all of them having a meeting in a classroom after school the other day...with no masks).

Yes, the rules have changed for my DH this year (also a teacher). If you are exposed you still have to come to school unless you have symptoms. So if our children test positive he still has to go to school if he has no symptoms. I think that is crazy. But I get that it's next to impossible to find subs and they don't want people calling in sick all the time...

• Sad 3

40 minutes ago, LauraClark said:

Yes, the rules have changed for my DH this year (also a teacher). If you are exposed you still have to come to school unless you have symptoms. So if our children test positive he still has to go to school if he has no symptoms. I think that is crazy. But I get that it's next to impossible to find subs and they don't want people calling in sick all the time...

The rationale they keep giving here is that they consider the school to be quarantining together. Yes--2000 people quarantining together and then going home to 2000 different families. I can't believe they can say it with a straight face. If you're exposed outside of school, you're supposed to quarantine, but if you're exposed in school you can keep coming. Because schools are magic, I guess. But, yeah, there's no doubt they wouldn't be able to stay open if they were actually quarantining, and they're no longer set up to have quarantined kids do school virtually, so...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

We dropped DD off at her college dorm yesterday.  Classes don't start for a while, but she has a work weekend with her speech and debate team.  The college requires vaccinations, with limited exemptions and were originally requiring indoor masking only for those not vaccinated, but they changed that to everyone regardless of vaccination status.  The one thing I am not happy about is that they are overloading the dorms to fit everyone in.  DD's room is made to be for two people, but they are adding in a third person.  I don't like the idea of overcrowding the dorm rooms.

I was very surprised to see so much masking on the campus, even outdoors.  DD is very happy that so many are taking this seriously.  She said that everyone at dinner last night felt so strange to be eating with people outside their families unmasked in the dining hall.

Meanwhile in our area people are protesting masking and it is getting worse now that we have added in mandated vaccinations for teachers and staff, plus an overall mask mandate for indoor public spaces for everyone.  People are refusing to comply and businesses will most likely not enforce it.  Parents are pulling their kids out of school to "homeschool" because they don't want their children to wear "muzzles".  I am trying to be charitable and hope that it is just a loud minority, but who knows.  I am also afraid that even with the mask mandate teachers won't enforce it in their classrooms.  School here doesn't start until late this month/early next month.  Our local hospital is full and they are warning people, but a lot of them just plain don't believe they are telling the truth.

• Sad 6

Guidance from DS's university continues to evolve in accordance to Irish health mandates, but so far we know that masks are required for *everyone* in *all* indoor spaces (excluding ones own housing, of course).

Vaccines aren’t required (except for all international students to enter the country, of course) but only because the country's vaccination rate is already so high (over 90% and rising). There is a vax clinic on campus and I’m certain during Freshers week there will be a huge push to reach anyone not yet vaccinated. Oh, and proof of vaccination *is* required for all on-campus restaurants and pubs—the pubs alone ought to provide plenty of incentive. Lol.

It looks like most classes will be in person, except maybe large lectures, again with everyone masked and nearly everyone vaccinated. Guidance surrounding societies (clubs) hasn’t been released yet but fingers crossed it’s safe for them to meet in person this year. Sports will be happening; DS hasn’t heard yet about any possible restrictions.

So far we are all feeling comfortable with the plans and restrictions in place.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, MEmama said:

Guidance from DS's university continues to evolve in accordance to Irish health mandates, but so far we know that masks are required for *everyone* in *all* indoor spaces (excluding ones own housing, of course).

Vaccines aren’t required (except for all international students to enter the country, of course) but only because the country's vaccination rate is already so high (over 90% and rising). There is a vax clinic on campus and I’m certain during Freshers week there will be a huge push to reach anyone not yet vaccinated. Oh, and proof of vaccination *is* required for all on-campus restaurants and pubs—the pubs alone ought to provide plenty of incentive. Lol.

It looks like most classes will be in person, except maybe large lectures, again with everyone masked and nearly everyone vaccinated. Guidance surrounding societies (clubs) hasn’t been released yet but fingers crossed it’s safe for them to meet in person this year. Sports will be happening; DS hasn’t heard yet about any possible restrictions.

So far we are all feeling comfortable with the plans and restrictions in place.

That sounds really pretty good!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LauraClark said:

In a situation like that I would not be opposed to lying about having symptoms.  Not just to be home to take care of my kids but to not be part of the spread.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kanin said:

I have a feeling he's going to have a fantastic time!! I wish I could go to college in Ireland in the fall, too!! 

He already knows a bunch of people—including one apartment mate—from various social media chats. They’ve made all kinds of plans, including trips to Cork and Derry (because Derry Girls, of course!). 🙂 A lot of them are getting there weeks before classes start (early on they were going to need to quarantine and now they don’t but we kept the tickets the same) so they have loads of time to explore and play. I am so, so excited for him! 

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, MEmama said:

He already knows a bunch of people—including one apartment mate—from various social media chats. They’ve made all kinds of plans, including trips to Cork and Derry (because Derry Girls, of course!). 🙂 A lot of them are getting there weeks before classes start (early on they were going to need to quarantine and now they don’t but we kept the tickets the same) so they have loads of time to explore and play. I am so, so excited for him! 

Awww, yayy! So awesome!!

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2021 at 9:10 AM, OH_Homeschooler said:

I hope it's okay to update here. I don't really want to start a new thread. Things have in fact escalated. 

The mask the teacher wears when forced to wear one is mesh. It's the kind that anti-maskers try to wear in protest of mask mandates. So my daughter made it known that she felt unsafe while her teacher wore that, and if she was still wearing it the next time, she was going to tell the principal. The teacher replied, "But it cost $15!" which is irrelevant to the fact that it's not a real mask. 

So naturally, the next day she was still wearing her stupid fake mask and my daughter again said she felt unsafe. The teacher told her to leave then. So my daughter went to the counselor's office. She was scared, but a dean told her she was in the right. The counselor was unavailable so my daughter just worked in there (it was the last class of the day). 

This morning my daughter was called to the counselor's office, and according to my daughter, the counselor told her she had been rude and shouldn't have walked out of class. I would have been on it last night but our internet was out and I couldn't give an email the proper attention, but you bet I sent an epic message to the principal, the counselor, and the dean this morning.

I explained how there is a mask mandate, included a sample picture of the mesh mask this teacher wears, and copied something from the state about what is considered an appropriate mask (tightly woven material that will not let light through). I said if a student refused to wear a proper mask there would be consequences. So it's not fair that a teacher is now causing a student's education to be compromised due to her lack of compliance with a state rule for educators. 

I also went into the fact that the teacher had previously told my daughter "If you have anxiety and depression, you need to deal with it." She told this to a teenager during a global mental health crisis. She told this to a teenager who's been hospitalized TWICE this year for suicidal ideation. I believe the teacher probably read that information (depression and anxiety) in the student information system. And trust me, my daughter is dealing with it. She has 2 counselors and a psychiatrist so she's doing all she can.  

So the principal responded that he was going to get back to me after looking into it. The counselor told me that my daughter was not in trouble and she tried to reassure her of that (I believe my daughter felt she was in trouble given all the attention it's receiving, and that probably the counselor was quoting the teacher when she said my daughter had been rude). I met with the counselor in person a couple weeks ago about my son, and I do believe she is a good person and on my daughter's side. And I want my daughter to feel safe to go there when she needs to, given the mental health issues. 

I'm overwhelmed and livid and I'm so upset that it's come to this. It shouldn't have to be so hard. But I'm willing to take this to the board or higher if this teacher doesn't get her sh*t together. She should have her teaching license revoked. I can't even imagine all the harm she's done over the years. 

ETA: The teacher claims she's had Covid twice. Of course she wasn't tested so she probably hasn't had it at all. Was she trying to make a point like see, it's no big deal to get this? In any case, seems like someone that susceptible to the virus should be taking extra precautions to keep others safe, right? 

Edited by OH_Homeschooler
  • Sad 35

After being open for a week, the local paper reported cases, exposures and student populations for the three nearby school systems. I was a little irked they didn't report percentages since the districts are all different sizes, so i calculated them myself with the numbers provided. Lumping cases and exposures together the two districts with mandatory masking had 0.5 and 1.5% not at school due to COVID-19 at the end of week one. The third district, where masking was optional, had 3% out. Within 2 days the third district changed to masks mandatory. I assume the change was emotional and driven by the large (sounding) case numbers, but I don't really know. Anyway, thought I would add a small anecdata point.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OH_Homeschooler said:

I hope it's okay to update here. I don't really want to start a new thread. Things have in fact escalated. 

The mask the teacher wears when forced to wear one is mesh. It's the kind that anti-maskers try to wear in protest of mask mandates. So my daughter made it known that she felt unsafe while her teacher wore that, and if she was still wearing it the next time, she was going to tell the principal. The teacher replied, "But it cost $15!" which is irrelevant to the fact that it's not a real mask. 

So naturally, the next day she was still wearing her stupid fake mask and my daughter again said she felt unsafe. The teacher told her to leave then. So my daughter went to the counselor's office. She was scared, but a dean told her she was in the right. The counselor was unavailable so my daughter just worked in there (it was the last class of the day). 

This morning my daughter was called to the counselor's office, and according to my daughter, the counselor told her she had been rude and shouldn't have walked out of class. I would have been on it last night but our internet was out and I couldn't give an email the proper attention, but you bet I sent an epic message to the principal, the counselor, and the dean this morning.

I explained how there is a mask mandate, included a sample picture of the mesh mask this teacher wears, and copied something from the state about what is considered an appropriate mask (tightly woven material that will not let light through). I said if a student refused to wear a proper mask there would be consequences. So it's not fair that a teacher is now causing a student's education to be compromised due to her lack of compliance with a state rule for educators. 

I also went into the fact that the teacher had previously told my daughter "If you have anxiety and depression, you need to deal with it." She told this to a teenager during a global mental health crisis. She told this to a teenager who's been hospitalized TWICE this year for suicidal ideation. I believe the teacher probably read that information (depression and anxiety) in the student information system. And trust me, my daughter is dealing with it. She has 2 counselors and a psychiatrist so she's doing all she can.  

So the principal responded that he was going to get back to me after looking into it. The counselor told me that my daughter was not in trouble and she tried to reassure her of that (I believe my daughter felt she was in trouble given all the attention it's receiving, and that probably the counselor was quoting the teacher when she said my daughter had been rude). I met with the counselor in person a couple weeks ago about my son, and I do believe she is a good person and on my daughter's side. And I want my daughter to feel safe to go there when she needs to, given the mental health issues. 

I'm overwhelmed and livid and I'm so upset that it's come to this. It shouldn't have to be so hard. But I'm willing to take this to the board or higher if this teacher doesn't get her sh*t together. She should have her teaching license revoked. I can't even imagine all the harm she's done over the years. 

ETA: The teacher claims she's had Covid twice. Of course she wasn't tested so she probably hasn't had it at all. Was she trying to make a point like see, it's no big deal to get this? In any case, seems like someone that susceptible to the virus should be taking extra precautions to keep others safe, right? 

I am so, so upset on your and your daughter’s behalf. I am so sorry she was treated that way. I’m impressed with her ability to stand up for herself. My teen with those struggles would not have been able to do so and would have absolutely unraveled at having those kinds of things said to her, so it makes me feel awful to know your daughter was subjected to that. The mesh mask thing is so angering, I wish the teacher would be let go on the spot. That makes me livid. I really hope the school responds appropriately.

• Like 7

Well I am pathetic.  I went to open house wearing a mask, and definitely shook hands with a teacher wearing a hardcore-looking mask (like something 95 looking mask).  Like we all have the best of intentions but still are conditioned to shake hands.  

Thank God my kids are old enough to be vaccinated and I do honestly believe they are masking all day, even though I can see with my own eyes it is maybe 50/50 for kids walking in the door at middle schools and more like 90/10 (eek) at the high school. 

I do think the vaccination rate is on the higher side but not “actually” high, sigh.

Just doing the best we can!  Last year was so hard on one of my kids who is doing so much better so far this year, sigh.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

The district neighboring the one I live in just announced vaccine clinics at all of their secondary schools the week before school starts.  Covid vaccines available for all students 12+ and all  required school-age vaccines will also be available.  

• Like 6

Well, we received a pre-recorded message Monday that son might have been exposed. 🙄 Of course it came after school was closed. He's vaccinated but still. Called the pediatrician, was told to quarantine for 5 days. They will only test if there are symptoms. After he talked to friends, found out it was last week. Le sigh. 

My dd's bestie is a teacher in another county, both her and her husband (also a teacher) obviously have covid. Again. They have several students out. They can't test until today. None of the teachers in that county are allowed to test until they get approval from the higher-ups.

Insane. 😟

• Sad 8

Our governor is supposed to announce today that all K-12 and higher ed faculty and staff are to be vaccinated, and also a statewide mask mandate indoors (currently the mandate is for education, healthcare, etc. but not all entities). 

I think this will make my case against the teacher that much stronger. It may even force her to quit. I sure hope so. 

• Like 15

My sister is a principal of a highschool. After sending an email reminding people to practice social distancing at lunch, and adding extra lunch time seating options to accomodate that, she got an email from a parent telling her she was a tyrant, destined for eternal damnation, and would burn in hell. 

She said she gets letters like this daily, from both extremes. 

My friend who has gotten now 11 contact letters in 2 weeks of school is pulling her kids and will risk poverty/bankruptcy to pay a babysitter while she works. 

• Sad 17

[Have not read previous posts in this thread.]

My kids started on Monday, but had 2 "calamity days" Tuesday and Wednesday due to heat.  So far so good.  😛  I am not worried about them for several reasons:

• Their school is an 8-12, so everyone there is old enough to be vaccinated.
  • My kids are fully vaccinated (done in June, so theoretically not worn off yet).
  • We're all pretty healthy.  I wasn't worried about Covid for us before the vax either.
  • Based on current rules, they won't have to quarantine if they are exposed, unless they get symptoms.

The school system has a virtual option for anyone who wasn't ready to return to in-person this year.  So I am not worrying about my kids spreading Covid to people at high risk at school.

I do think Delta is going to spread through our schools like wildfire, just based on what I'm hearing from other locations.  At present, our hospitals seem to have plenty of capacity, but time will tell.

We are still staying away from church and anywhere else with elderly or otherwise at-risk people.

My kids' previous school (K-8) opened yesterday, and they posted some photos of the classrooms.  Few if any kids are shown with masks.  Of course that may change as Delta spreads here.

• Like 1