Menu

Face-to-face school - anyone else's kids start yet?

heartlikealion

45 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Walmart has them with two day turnaround on their walmart.com website. Nowhere here has them for store pickup.

Yeah, the PCR test tomorrow is supposed to be back Friday or Saturday, so we are just going with that. It will be more accurate anyway. It feels like the most responsible thing to do for her to go back to college.  As I said, no symptoms. She feels fine. Exposure was 5 days ago. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Yeah, the PCR test tomorrow is supposed to be back Friday or Saturday, so we are just going with that. It will be more accurate anyway. It feels like the most responsible thing to do for her to go back to college.  As I said, no symptoms. She feels fine. Exposure was 5 days ago. 

I don't think I'd be confident with anything less than a PCR test either. Hope she turns out to be fine!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I’m wondering if people touching their masks is less of an issue now that we know surface transmission is not such a big thing with CV? And keeping in mind that the greatest purpose of a mask is to protect others by catching droplet dispersion. I personally am no longer inclined to use the people-touch-their-face argument against mask wearing. 

If people are using masks for protection, like HCW and the immunocompromised and classroom teachers, they are much more inclined to wear properly fitted masks and know better than to fiddle with them much. JMO of course. 

No one around me seems as concerned about fit and mask features IRL around here vs on this forum. You’re lucky if you get people to wear one at all. I know unvaccinated people at church that stopped wearing them.

Our kids’ school, which just reopened today after a Covid closure, has texted parents that they “recommend” masks at the moment.

• Sad 1

Just now, Ordinary Shoes said:

Just got the email. First COVID exposure at school. Today is the 6th day of school. DD isn't considered a "close contact" so no quarantining. But this is a small private school with two classes per grade. These kids are always together. 

I'm sure I'll get the scoop when I pick DD up from school. 

Masks still not required and the principal never responded my email. 

Sounds very similar to here. I think there’s only one room per grade at my kids’ school. And I doubt they spread out much at lunch 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Just got the email. First COVID exposure at school. Today is the 6th day of school. DD isn't considered a "close contact" so no quarantining. But this is a small private school with two classes per grade. These kids are always together. 

I'm sure I'll get the scoop when I pick DD up from school. 

Masks still not required and the principal never responded my email. 

Here it would be a given. One classroom per grade all going to lunch together at the same time, no mask mandate. But, I guess the school owns going to even notify parents of any possible exposure. They are just going to pretend nothing is wrong out there.

Ordinary, 😱💓💓💓, I am sorry this happened!

• Thanks 1

Dear granddaughter started school last Wednesday, 9th grade, having been homeschooled until now. Day 5 she was exposed and now has to quarantine for ten days. She’s had her first vax but not her second. Their school does block scheduling so she has 4 classes, each 100 minutes. All honors. The school has no idea what to do with the dozens of kids who are quarantined. They basically expect her to self teach biology, government, and algebra. No virtual teaching like last year.  They tried to do google meetings  to give her the notes from the class but the first one had no video OR audio and tech support basically said too bad. The second started 30 minutes before they bothered to email the kids telling them how and when to access it.  So yeah that’s stressing dgd out quite a bit.   On the 3rd day of school she had her first biology test and the 4th day she gave  her first government presentation. As fast as they’re moving, she’s pretty worried that she’ll fall behind.  It’s going to be better once she’s fully vaxxed but sheesh…

• Sad 14

So, I ended up withdrawing my dd from the private school that was planning for mask-optional, no distancing, etc. and enrolled her in the local public middle school. I think this turned out to be an unexpectedly great choice for our family. We've lived in this town for over 10 years and know dozens of families/kids but somehow don't know a single family that attended the private school. The public school is very on top of covid protocols; they survived last year much better than all the other nearby school districts. Plus, she'll have sports and electives to explore. 

ETA she is fully vaccinated and wears Happy masks, otherwise I'd have her continue the homeschooling that she was doing the past several years.

Edited by ericathemom
  • Like 11

1 minute ago, Annie G said:

Dear granddaughter started school last Wednesday, 9th grade, having been homeschooled until now. Day 5 she was exposed and now has to quarantine for ten days. She’s had her first vax but not her second. Their school does block scheduling so she has 4 classes, each 100 minutes. All honors. The school has no idea what to do with the dozens of kids who are quarantined. They basically expect her to self teach biology, government, and algebra. No virtual teaching like last year.  They tried to do google meetings  to give her the notes from the class but the first one had no video OR audio and tech support basically said too bad. The second started 30 minutes before they bothered to email the kids telling them how and when to access it.  So yeah that’s stressing dgd out quite a bit.   On the 3rd day of school she had her first biology test and the 4th day she gave  her first government presentation. As fast as they’re moving, she’s pretty worried that she’ll fall behind.  It’s going to be better once she’s fully vaxxed but sheesh…

Yeah, everyone dropped all of the accommodations they made like extra sick days for teachers, virtual options if you are out, etc.  A small school district has already stopped school until Tuesday.  That is going to happen a lot. Staffing will be an issue. 

8 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

They will have a benefit from it not just for mitigating covid spread. Last year, for the first time in decades, our county elementary schools did not have to close down for influenza spreading like wildfire among students and staff, nor the annual, 1/4 of the class has strep or tonsillitis mess. Several teacher friends said they loved not being sick all winter with the usual round robin of viruses and bacteria. Pneumonia among non-covid folks was at a record low. I had decided that even if the pandemic waned and abated, I was still going to wear my mask in public places this winter. I enjoyed not having respiratory gunk and sore throats last winter. It was a nice change from the usual Michigan winter yucks.

This. One of the teachers I work with said she usually gets strep twice every winter, but didn't at all last year. She said, "It's as if we're doing something that actually makes a difference..." in reference to the efficacy of masking.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Yeah, everyone dropped all of the accommodations they made like extra sick days for teachers, virtual options if you are out, etc.  A small school district has already stopped school until Tuesday.  That is going to happen a lot. Staffing will be an issue. 

It seems like they could reinstitute these measures pretty easily now that they know it’s not going to be a normal school year. I feel for the teachers! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Annie G said:

It seems like they could reinstitute these measures pretty easily now that they know it’s not going to be a normal school year. I feel for the teachers! 

You would think, but our area is going to crash in a big way in about 2 weeks. I am hearing more and more people getting it, several in ICU now. And yet, it is like we are going to have a normal school year gosh darnett.  No one is acknowledging it at all.  We have more people in the hospital now than at the height of the pandemic, and we had restrictions then. We have none now. I just don't get it.  I mean very few if any of the teachers are wearing masks. 

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Similar here. The metro schools require masks, our idiot Governor gave an opt-out option, but the city is still requiring them. All of my tutoring students in this system have said everyone is masked at school, except at recess and lunch, which are outside. There may be various levels of compliance school to school though. High numbers of cases already.

So the Catholic Diocese of Nashville, which had previously required masks in diocesan schools, has now gone mask-optional in solidarity with the governor's order.  (Letters here.)  The Catholic school in my neighborhood is an independent school, not a diocesan school, but apparently they have gone mask-optional as well, and now parents are at one another's throats.  I am expecting a call from a neighbor tonight to discuss homeschooling.

• Sad 9

7 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

You would think, but our area is going to crash in a big way in about 2 weeks. I am hearing more and more people getting it, several in ICU now. And yet, it is like we are going to have a normal school year gosh darnett.  No one is acknowledging it at all.  We have more people in the hospital now than at the height of the pandemic, and we had restrictions then. We have none now. I just don't get it.  I mean very few if any of the teachers are wearing masks. 

Same here- they’re acting like if you’re vaxxed you’re fine. But the stats say otherwise. At least here in Georgia.  Our news reported one district has closed schools for two weeks and aren’t doing virtual- just suspending instruction for two weeks. I can’t find details on that so I’m hoping parent outcry has made them decide to at least go virtual instead of just stopping instruction. 

• Sad 4

9 hours ago, Annie G said:

Same here- they’re acting like if you’re vaxxed you’re fine. But the stats say otherwise. At least here in Georgia.  Our news reported one district has closed schools for two weeks and aren’t doing virtual- just suspending instruction for two weeks. I can’t find details on that so I’m hoping parent outcry has made them decide to at least go virtual instead of just stopping instruction. 

The CDC just acknowledged that in two recent studies 20% of those infected and 15% of those hospitalized were vaccinated. That’s a huge reduction in the risk of severe illness but it clearly means you need vax plus masks, not vax or masks.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Annie G said:

We couldn't go virtual. Too big a part of our student body doesn't have internet. They sent home packets that they brought back the next week.  Our test scores plummeted. 

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, JennyD said:

So the Catholic Diocese of Nashville, which had previously required masks in diocesan schools, has now gone mask-optional in solidarity with the governor's order.  (Letters here.)  The Catholic school in my neighborhood is an independent school, not a diocesan school, but apparently they have gone mask-optional as well, and now parents are at one another's throats.  I am expecting a call from a neighbor tonight to discuss homeschooling.

I have two new tutoring families - usually private schoolers, but homeschoolers now bc of covid.

21 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

The CDC just acknowledged that in two recent studies 20% of those infected and 15% of those hospitalized were vaccinated. That’s a huge reduction in the risk of severe illness but it clearly means you head vax plus masks, not vax or masks.

Can you give me the link to this so I can pass it to my sister who is a teacher.

26 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

We couldn't go virtual. Too big a part of our student body doesn't have internet. They sent home packets that they brought back the next week.  Our test scores plummeted. 

Our county has many students w no internet and they set up Wi-Fi hotspots at schools, libraries, etc, so kids could take their chrome books and access virtual learning. We live a block from our elementary school and there would be cars and kids all over outside doing virtual school. It wasn’t ideal, but I don’t know what else they could have done.   Sending home the packets would have worked for some, but how do you teach a kid to read that way? No wonder test scores plummeted!

As for my granddaughter, my Dd just said the entire school is going either hybrid or virtual staring Monday. Not even two weeks into school and they are overrun with cases. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, lewelma said:

Can you give me the link to this so I can pass it to my sister who is a teacher.

It's kinda buried in the reports about the booster recommendation but it's referenced in this CBS news report: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vaccine-booster-shot-cdc-effectiveness/ and here https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/17/health/covid-vaccinated-infections.html

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/ivy.htm

The rise in hospitalizations among the vaccinated is why they moved so quickly to recommend the boosters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today was schedule pickup day for my Freshmen.  The whole thing was a crowded cluster but the mask compliance was 100%.   

We will see what happens they just made the Vax mandatory for all k12 staff in my state.  The claims are we will have half our staff walk out but I doubt it.  I think most people  will complain but still do it. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

The principal came into the classroom and asked which kids sat by so and so. Then the principal told those kids to come with her and bring their things. 

This makes me feel so bad for those kids! I’m just thinking about if it were my kids, and I know that that would freak them out. They would know what it meant, and even though I’ve tried to reassure them that much as were trying to avoid catching Covid, that if any of them caught it, it would likely not be a big deal for them, I still know they would be really worried. They especially wouldn’t want to bring it home to me 😢

i’m glad the boy was masked and hopefully it didn’t pass to anyone else and he will be better soon.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Annie G said:

Our county has many students w no internet and they set up Wi-Fi hotspots at schools, libraries, etc, so kids could take their chrome books and access virtual learning. We live a block from our elementary school and there would be cars and kids all over outside doing virtual school. It wasn’t ideal, but I don’t know what else they could have done.   Sending home the packets would have worked for some, but how do you teach a kid to read that way? No wonder test scores plummeted!

As for my granddaughter, my Dd just said the entire school is going either hybrid or virtual staring Monday. Not even two weeks into school and they are overrun with cases. 

Ha.. so all students have chrome books...nope. Also, the students ride the bus to get to school. They get lunch, and maybe even breakfast there. Our district just decided to provide it for the entire district this year since 80 percent of them ( maybe more this year) were on free lunch anyway.  There is no parent available to take them places, many do not have a car. 

2 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Ha.. so all students have chrome books...nope. Also, the students ride the bus to get to school. They get lunch, and maybe even breakfast there. Our district just decided to provide it for the entire district this year since 80 percent of them ( maybe more this year) were on free lunch anyway.  There is no parent available to take them places, many do not have a car. 

So many kids falling behind. I feel so bad for the kids.  Our old town went to free breakfast and lunch once 65% were eligible for free or reduced.  I wish they’d just make that standard in our schools. When I was a kid I’m sure we would have qualified but my mom wouldn’t fill out paperwork. So I brought my lunch and many times it was just awful. I clearly remember bringing a jar of fruit baby food in 4th grade- my brother was a baby and it was a flavor called plum pudding and I just acted like I liked it. Heck, maybe I did, but I sure did want a school lunch. 

My son in law worked in a school last year helping the kids do remote school. Their teachers were down the hall, and these kids had working parents and/or no internet access so Jack kept them on track. Pretty proud of him, because he’s immune compromised and did it anyway because he worried about the kids so much. They had a great year. But it was weird that they could be with him but not their teachers down the hall. 

Do you think the kids in your district can ever catch up? What happens if they don’t? I really wonder about that.

23 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

The sad thing is that masking won’t do it this time. Delta is way too contagious.

As it turns out, last year should have been masked and in person, and this year should be virtual. Anyone got a time machine??

For colleges, like the one L is attending, which have vax, masks and testing mandates now and were completely virtual last year, waiting a year made sense. For the most part, the risk to their campus population due to having over 98% vaccinated (and it will be closer to 99%-the 2% currently includes some individuals who only got the first vaccine when arriving on campus due to coming from countries that are not yet vaccinating teens/young adults, and have been quarantined for 2 weeks, and a couple who were in the 90 days following COVID infection and have temporary waivers as a result) is pretty low, and adding masking in public indoor spaces and classes will increase that protection. 

For middle and high schools, it could be that way,but isn't in most areas. Again, having those kids hybrid last year and in person this year makes sense, but only if the students are vaccinated AND masking now. 

For K-5....those babies should be home! Masks aren't enough. 

@TexasProud-have your DD call the health services at the college. They may be able to do test on site before she moves in. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Annie G said:

So many kids falling behind. I feel so bad for the kids.  Our old town went to free breakfast and lunch once 65% were eligible for free or reduced.  I wish they’d just make that standard in our schools. When I was a kid I’m sure we would have qualified but my mom wouldn’t fill out paperwork. So I brought my lunch and many times it was just awful. I clearly remember bringing a jar of fruit baby food in 4th grade- my brother was a baby and it was a flavor called plum pudding and I just acted like I liked it. Heck, maybe I did, but I sure did want a school lunch. 

My son in law worked in a school last year helping the kids do remote school. Their teachers were down the hall, and these kids had working parents and/or no internet access so Jack kept them on track. Pretty proud of him, because he’s immune compromised and did it anyway because he worried about the kids so much. They had a great year. But it was weird that they could be with him but not their teachers down the hall. 

Do you think the kids in your district can ever catch up? What happens if they don’t? I really wonder about that.

Bc, the mentality according to the schools that did this, is that the teachers are more valuable than people like your son. I’m sure your son got paid a fraction of what the teachers were paid, despite the fact that he was doing hands on care and aiding in teaching.

8 hours ago, KSera said:

This makes me feel so bad for those kids! I’m just thinking about if it were my kids, and I know that that would freak them out. They would know what it meant, and even though I’ve tried to reassure them that much as were trying to avoid catching Covid, that if any of them caught it, it would likely not be a big deal for them, I still know they would be really worried. They especially wouldn’t want to bring it home to me 😢

i’m glad the boy was masked and hopefully it didn’t pass to anyone else and he will be better soon.

The sections of classrooms disappearing happened over and over again at our school last year. At first it was very hush-hush and a little freaky, but after a while the students got used to it (this was high school). We quarantined everyone within 6 feet as per health department regulations, but almost none of the "contact" students actually came down with covid. I attribute this to the strict adherence to masking that was required in my school last year. We really did not have in-school spread. This year. however, masks are encouraged but not required and delta is more contagious. So I am very concerned.

2 hours ago, TexasProud said:

This is a federal pandemic thing. All school meals are free to all students for the whole school year.

3 minutes ago, pinball said:

Bc, the mentality according to the schools that did this, is that the teachers are more valuable than people like your son. I’m sure your son got paid a fraction of what the teachers were paid, despite the fact that he was doing hands on care and aiding in teaching.

::eye roll::

The teacher had to deliver content to the students at home as well as in the room and it’s hard to do that while also physically supervising the in-room students. In addition, you can “pod” different age siblings together so the risk is lower for the kids that need childcare because each group has fewer households represented. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Annie G said:

We needed serious intervention BEFORE Covid.  I will be working on this once I finish my schooling.  Looking at doing a type of community based after school program like we have in Honduras that is working so well.   But no, these kids won't catch up. In the exchange program this past summer, we had students from a very affluent area.  Our kids felt woefully inadequate to engage with them intellectually. ( This isn't me. This is what our students said. They realized how much of their education was missing.) 

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Our district has checked out a chromebook to every child in the district. They purchased them last year (All the middle and high school students had them at the beginning of the year. They got enough for elementary by the middle of the fall semester)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vonfirmath said:

Our district has checked out a chromebook to every child in the district. They purchased them last year (All the middle and high school students had them at the beginning of the year. They got enough for elementary by the middle of the fall semester)

Yeah. Ours doesn't have the money for that.

1 hour ago, Danae said:

::eye roll::

The teacher had to deliver content to the students at home as well as in the room and it’s hard to do that while also physically supervising the in-room students. In addition, you can “pod” different age siblings together so the risk is lower for the kids that need childcare because each group has fewer households represented. 

I agree with what you’re saying, but in son in law’s situation, there were no students in the classroom. All remote. Some at home, but those without internet or parent able to be home were in the school building, just not with their teacher.  

56 minutes ago, Spryte said:

If your school has a Covid dashboard, how often is it updated?

Our school district hasn’t updated since Aug 13.  Ugh!

Our school district hasn;t updated since school began three weeks ago. Granddaughter’s district posts an update every Friday night. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, pinball said:

Son in law actually works for the Boys Club/Girls Club so he was paid by them. They chose to provide the service- the school agreed to let them use the facility but the BC/GC ran the program. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pinball said:

16 minutes ago, Annie G said:

I agree with what you’re saying, but in son in law’s situation, there were no students in the classroom. All remote. Some at home, but those without internet or parent able to be home were in the school building, just not with their teacher.  

I’m guessing the son is not in a union while the teachers are. One of the reasons to even HAVE a union is to protect the health and safety of its members. We’ll never know how many teachers are alive today because of the collective bargaining power they wielded last school year before vaccines were available. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Yes, that was my point.  The teachers can do a better job if all their students are remote than if they’re trying to both teach remotely and supervise in person.  So people like your son in law were hired to do the supervision.

It may or may not have been the best choice, but it’s the one the district made and it was almost certainly made to try to balance safety for everyone, effective education for all the students, and the fact that some families rely on schools for childcare. 

Edited by Danae
  • Like 1

Thank goodness one of the local churches came to their senses with a new announcement. They have actually been one of my favorite churches to attend during the pandemic because they roped off pews and placed sanitizer in multiple places including down the main aisle. 

The new announcement is they canceled the Sunday brunch that was supposed to happen this coming weekend and they have canceled Sunday school until further notice. We have our son doing Sunday school online at the moment (thank goodness I learned about that option when I was homeschooling. Getting to a face-to-once one has usually been a pain where we live). 

I bounce between a few local parishes. One of them is quite large and hosts a Germanfest in Sept. I am shocked they haven't canceled this year's yet... I am not sure if they will. I know they hated to cancel it last year. I think it's a huge fundraiser. I've worked at it before. It's very crowded. 

4 minutes ago, Danae said:

Yes, that was my point.  The teachers can do a better job if all their students are remote than if they’re trying to both teach remotely and supervise in person.  So people like your son in law were hired to do the supervision.

It may or may not have been the best choice, but it’s the one the district made and it was almost certainly made to try to balance safety for everyone, effective education for all the students, and the fact that some families rely on schools for childcare. 

It was a great choice for the kids he supervised. They had an adult to keep them on track and to interact with them. They ate lunch together and he took them outside every day to play games.  He played with them- he even fell and broke his arm.  That was a much better experience than a lot of remote learning kids had- too many were home alone day in and day out.  And that’s what his kids would have done without the program. 
Schools did the best they could- I think some districts (like TexasProud’s) just had obstacles that were difficult to overcome.  But yeah, everyone was making the best decisions they could to balance safety for employees and kids. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

Wow, that's just wild. I wouldn't be surprised if there are school board members here who believe such stuff too, but it's so sad to see it right there in black and white.

That these people are in charge of EDUCATION is just....pathetic. 

• Like 2