Menu

At what point would you lock down again?

Not_a_Number

I've contacted a couple places to ask if they've updated their masks policy yet.  They told me that they follow CDC guidelines so vaccinated people don't need to mask.  I informed them that the guidance did change and heard back that they're not changing their policy at this time.  Our governor and department of health both say all should mask per the CDC, why not change policy?!??

I feel like there's going to be a lag while places go back to masks so we're locking down again.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I've contacted a couple places to ask if they've updated their masks policy yet.  They told me that they follow CDC guidelines so vaccinated people don't need to mask.  I informed them that the guidance did change and heard back that they're not changing their policy at this time.  Our governor and department of health both say all should mask per the CDC, why not change policy?!??

I feel like there's going to be a lag while places go back to masks so we're locking down again.

I was at Costco today and nothing had changed- masks required unless vaccinated.

• Sad 3

5 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I was at Costco today and nothing had changed- masks required unless vaccinated.

Around here all the stores are "masks encouraged unless vaccinated", and even those signs are small and inconspicuous, like they really don't want to offend anyone by asking them to wear masks and they have no expectation that they would wear them regardless.

Masking is less than 1% in stores around me currently, almost no children, almost no seniors, just a couple stray weirdos like us that haven't gotten the memo that the pandemic is over because the general public is tired of minor, life-saving, inconveniences.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, wendyroo said:

Around here all the stores are "masks encouraged unless vaccinated", and even those signs are small and inconspicuous, like they really don't want to offend anyone by asking them to wear masks and they have no expectation that they would wear them regardless.

Masking is less than 1% in stores around me currently, almost no children, almost no seniors, just a couple stray weirdos like us that haven't gotten the memo that the pandemic is over because the general public is tired of minor, life-saving, inconveniences.

Same. While hospitals cancel elective procedures. 

I can't anymore. 

• Sad 2

Two months ago, I was so optimistic. I really felt like we could beat this thing with vaccines. There was so little Covid here, vax rates were relatively high, and life was starting to feel like it could get back to normal for people who were vaccinated. I was just waiting for the fall for my almost 8 year old to get vaxed and then I felt like I could really breathe easy. I was ok with my vaxed 12 year old going to sleep away camp, we have a vacation to Scottsdale and then Disney for my little's bday this week, my DH is finally going to Canada to see his family in August, and we have my eldest's bar mitzvah cruise to Israel and the Med in 2022. Plus, the boys are supposed to start back at in-person enrichment classes at their charter in the fall. And now Delta. Ugh. I am so sick of this effing virus. 

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 6
  • Sad 5

6 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

He is homeschooled. Public schools will have to take all kids, but they don’t have to give them credit for any work done as a homeschooler. So they will take my kid, but will not allow him to take courses as an 11th grader. He will be in freshman courses. 
Public school is face to face. That’s why I put another kid in as a 9th grader. But I don’t have options for my 11th grader. 

In theory that’s true here too.  

In reality there have been other approaches actually allowed for kids transferring between homeschooling and public—particularly to show mastery of a subject and get credit and proper placement at right level that way.  

This can be hard for a child who is depressed and not ready to test well or at least have a conversation with a teacher and demonstrate what he knows.  But they really don’t want children who have finished Algebra 2 to be in Algebra 1, or who have finished Spanish 2 to be in Spanish 1.   

In our case there was a little known (state) law found by one of the teachers (fortunately) that said that successfully finishing a higher level course would allow the school to give credit for the lower ones. So if a homeschool student felt ready to be placed in and do well in English 3 (for example) they would get credit for English 1,2, and 3 upon successfully completing English 3.  Try to find out if something like that is true in your state too.  Or if testing for a class is a way to get credit. (This tended to be done with math, science, and foreign language placements at my son’s school.) 

When my son started public they did not want to take my word for his math level, but the head math teacher tested him and concluded that I was right. 

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Wondering if people have now changed their minds on what you are going to do?  I think there were people in the start that were not going lock down again.  Does the recent information coming out the last few days change anything?  I am so so so torn.

Yep. We can't change it all, but we're going to have to scale back because we now have more risk than we'd prefer.

No band, and we thought we'd go back. No choir (but we weren't sure we'd do that). 

Wondering if the church we've been visiting will go back to masks with the new guidance--most people are vaccinated there as they've promoted it from the pulpit (and hence why we're visiting this church), but they have only been doing normal services since the beginning of July (previously, they were masked, distanced, sit only in family groups, and I think maybe two service times, so there was no Sunday School). I don't know what to think about going.

We might be putting off orthodontia for another year (and he's really late to do it because of weird biology, supernumerary teeth that cropped up, etc.)--there are 5 or 6 kids in there with their mouths open in one big room at any given time. Masks are now optional if you are vaccinated or "immune," but considering we have people who claim to have had covid but probably didn't actually test, who knows if immunity will be verified at all.

Older DS will go part-time to the vocational school (2.5 hours per day). At least the classrooms have high ceilings there. They are extremely unlikely to have any precautions at all. 

Younger DS is doing (and needs) in-person tutoring with a vaccinated tutor, but I am sure he's seeing plenty of unvaccinated people given vaccination rates here. It's an hour at a time in an office that's like a small house--multiple tutors in their own rooms, but people coming an going. I assume they all share the same HVAC. I don't know if we can ask for masking and not have people up in arms.

Older DS finally (after a huge waiting list) is set up for in-car driving (8 hours on four different days) so he can get his license. We'll do that, but I told him he probably ought to mask and put some windows down. Who knows what the instructor will think or if he's vaccinated.

Rates are only going to go up here, but I am afraid they will go up sharply while we're trying to wrap up loose ends (dentist, docs, wisdom teeth extraction, etc.), and we'll end up with Delta.

I think it won't be long before we go back to grocery pick-up and avoiding in-store shopping. 

Friends who would visit outside are all super busy right now when the weather will allow outdoor visits, so who knows if we'll be able to do get togethers. All family lives away. They are vaccinated, but at least one set of grandparents can't travel here without stopping for gas and potty breaks. I don't know if they would mask for a couple of weeks before coming here. 

Booster shots can't come fast enough. 

I just ran across this little number, you know the tune

This is the plague that never ends...

It just goes on and on my friends

Some people started spreading it not knowing what it was,

and they will keep on spreading it forever just because

• Haha 8

30 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

My anxiety is so high from this I had to bail on my workout 20 somthing minutes in. My heart rate was in the red zone during the warm up stretches. Ugh. May end up taking half a xanax from the dog's stash. 

I'm right there with you.  I already had a good cry.  I tried to explain this to my DH and the kids earlier, they already understand there is concern with my immunosuppression, but this make it so much worse and they aren't grasping how serious this is for me.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Sad 14

54 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I just ran across this little number, you know the tune

It just goes on and on my friends

Some people started spreading it not knowing what it was,

and they will keep on spreading it forever just because

Oooh. I'll absolutely have to sing this to my children!! They know the tune... 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Wondering if people have now changed their minds on what you are going to do?  I think there were people in the start that were not going lock down again.  Does the recent information coming out the last few days change anything?  I am so so so torn.

Not really bc my husband still doesn’t have a job. If there is a mandated lockdown before he has a stable job - we are both going to freak the heck out. Bc there’s extremely little financial safety net in Oklahoma.

The good news is I’m both don’t buy anything and stock up on everything bc who knows when steady income will return.  🤪So other than mass and adoration we aren’t doing much out and about anyways.   The kids had just started back up to all the VBS type summer activities the last couple months but most of those are over now.  I go back to twice a week teaching 4-6 preschoolers religion after Labor Day and I have a weekend long training session coming up.

I’m really struggling with my high schoolers. I mean a year wait for driving and ACT and starting college classes? Okay. One year. But at some point these kids literally need to rejoin the world.  I suspect This is going to affect them in lots of ways as young adults.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

I’m really struggling with my high schoolers. I mean a year wait for driving and ACT and starting college classes? Okay. One year. But at some point these kids literally need to rejoin the world.  I suspect This is going to affect them in lots of ways as young adults.

Yup.  My oldest had a nervous breakdown in the fall of their sophomore year in high school.  We pulled them out of school, got on meds/ kept up counselor, and started classes at community college and were pretty stable when covid hit in March.  Then transferred to new private high school but was virtual all of junior year.  At some point, this kid needs to be in person before going away to college.  And also to do in the car driver's ed.  

I don't see a way around SAT/ ACT for merit for college....we put stuff off all junior year because of pandemic.  

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yup.  My oldest had a nervous breakdown in the fall of their sophomore year in high school.  We pulled them out of school, got on meds/ kept up counselor, and started classes at community college and were pretty stable when covid hit in March.  Then transferred to new private high school but was virtual all of junior year.  At some point, this kid needs to be in person before going away to college.  And also to do in the car driver's ed.  

I don't see a way around SAT/ ACT for merit for college....we put stuff off all junior year because of pandemic.  

I am ticked off bc I never did get a refund for the 3 kids I had signed up for ACT last year.   ACT rescheduled them twice and then said to fill out paperwork for refund on their website. I did all that and then nothing. No response to emails or anything. Wait time on phone is forever. So there’s over $100 apparently I’ll never see again. Not too excited to resign up but as you note, these exams are gateways to most further education so not sure what else to do. 

Edited by Murphy101
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Murphy101 said:

I am ticked off bc I never did get a refund for the 3 kids I had signed up for ACT last year.   ACT rescheduled them twice and then said to fill out paperwork for refund on their website. I did all that and then nothing. No response to emails or anything. Wait time on phone is forever. So there’s over $100 apparently I’ll never see again. Not too excited to resign up but as you note, these exams are gateways to most further education so not sure what else to do. 

ARG!  That's awful!

11 hours ago, Terabith said:

We ended up applying to colleges with that baseline, done the summer before 9th grade ACT, and barely got into an SAT site in a different state in November, and sent scores directly to upgrade scholarships. My kid got driver's Ed in May, and has an appointment for the road test on the 4th, 11 DAYS before we leave for campus move in. Mine had stuff compressed due to graduating at 16 (even had driver's Ed been an option last summer and it has been possible to get a driver's license ON their birthday, it would havd only been about 6 months of driving before moving on campus), but it very much feels like this summer has been catch up for the last year (we're currently spending a long weekend with my teen's BFF and their family, pretty much cramming in a year of socialization in about 72 hours). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

For us, Youngest and I are locked down again. We are headed out only for medical or for beach/mountain days. Everyone else will be doing normal life, but masked. I just restocked N95s. If we get above 7% positivity we are moving from double masking to N95s.

We just hit 10% positivity, and had switched to N95s a few weeks ago, probably around 7%.  Great minds. Where did you get your N95s?  Running low here.

We are only going out for necessities now, and youngest only for medical.  Sick at the moment, but hopeful that we will still see vaccinated friends.  Not sure though.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Spryte said:

We just hit 10% positivity, and had switched to N95s a few weeks ago, probably around 7%.  Great minds. Where did you get your N95s?  Running low here.

Home Depot has plenty right now. You may have to buy in bulk. I’ve been splitting mask orders with others. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Our plans haven’t changed. We’re still planning on taking our trip this fall and we move both dc into their college apartments in less than a month. Our trip is to see in laws that we haven’t seen in over two years. They want us to come no matter what so we are still going. Both college dc really need to be back to in person classes, especially Ds who is a senior. Hopefully, nothing changes in regards to in person classes on campus. 

We are masking when indoors again (we had stopped for a bit) and aren’t eating inside anymore, but other than that nothing has changed for us. We’re all vaccinated and rather healthy though.

Edited by Joker2

13 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I am ticked off bc I never did get a refund for the 3 kids I had signed up for ACT last year.   ACT rescheduled them twice and then said to fill out paperwork for refund on their website. I did all that and then nothing. No response to emails or anything. Wait time on phone is forever. So there’s over $100 apparently I’ll never see again.

SAT canceled my kid’s Nov date and refunded me in March. Hope you get your ACT refund. 

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

SAT canceled my kid’s Nov date and refunded me in March. Hope you get your ACT refund. 

Well they said they’d refund me in July 2020 so at this point I’m not expecting it. 

Edited by Murphy101
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I'm not one of the folks who said they wouldn't lock down again (I haven't actually "unlocked" that much), but recent data is definitely changing my perception of risk and my willingness to do things I was OK with a month ago. For example, DS is currently home for two weeks and the plan was for us to drive back to his university together (2400 miles cross country) so he could have his car there this year, and then I would fly home. I was OK with that a month ago, when cases were 1/5th of what they are now, but I'm pretty uncomfortable with the idea now, and I think the situation will be even worse two weeks from now. But if DS doesn't have a car there this year, he may have to miss practice two days/week because the bus schedule won't allow him to get there and back in time to shower, change, and get to early classes on those days. I'm thinking of just having him use Uber on those days, and I'll eat the cost. The idea of spending four days driving through states with low vax rates and no masking, staying in motels, using public restrooms, going into crowded gas stations and places to get food, just seems like a really terrible idea right now.

Would it make sense to buy a used car in his college town? The whole round trip would be pretty expensive anyway... 🚘

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kanin said:

Would it make sense to buy a used car in his college town? The whole round trip would be pretty expensive anyway... 🚘

I've actually been looking into that option, although used cars are in short supply and so expensive right now. I've been looking on CarMax and trying to figure out if it's possible for me to buy a car remotely and have DS pick it up when he gets there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kanin said:

Cars are VERY hard to find and even used junkers are VERY expensive. My prof was talking about that in class. I would not count on finding a car there.

1 minute ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

DH got sick Thursday night and had a COVID test yesterday. The Urgent Care NP told him his symptoms were classic COVID symptoms. We just got the results, negative. 

So now we're in a quandary. Trust the results? He's feeling better today. 

Which test? How many days into symptoms? Vaxxed or un vaxxed? Vaccinated people with delta are actually having different symptoms.   Headache and sneezing being  most common.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

My mind is mush right now.  How much better is an N95 vs a Kn95?

The problem with KN95s is that there are a lot of counterfeit ones that don’t meet the standard. Some are legit and some are not, but it’s hard to know what you’re getting. So far, N95 and KF94 hasn’t has that problem. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

He's vaxxed. I'm not sure what kind of a test. I wasn't with DH when he was tested. It took a day to get the results so maybe not one of the rapid tests? He was tested less than 24 hours into symptoms. He does have a headache and sneezing plus a lot of sinus pressure. 

I would get some of the home tests and test again.  If he's negative 5 days after symptoms, I would say it was probably cold/ sinus/ something else.  There are other things out there as well as covid.

• Like 1

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

Do you guys think it's worth getting the N95s, or would our Happy Masks do? 

I was all for quality cloth masks all the way, until things changed around January with alpha being more transmissible. We all went to KF94s indoors at that point. With delta, I really want to wear the best mask I possibly can. We have a mix of KF94 and N95 now. The KF94s filter just as well, and they have a good fit on us, but they have ear loops instead of head straps. I will now start using the N95 for the highest risk things (doctor’s appointments, for example). I haven’t seen kids’ n95s, so my younger kids wear kids’ kf94s, which have a nice fit on them. 

15 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Do you guys think it's worth getting the N95s, or would our Happy Masks do? 

Personally--I can't tolerate N95s. I know lots of people claim they have no problem breathing in one for hours and hours, but OTOH many medical people say a properly fitted one (fit tested) is hard to tolerate for more than a few minutes. I've never had one fit tested, but just using my best self educated effort at proper fitting -- I can't do it. More than a few minutes and I'm struggling for a good breath and starting to sweat and overheat.

And I guess that's a long way of saying that if I were you and if I wanted to try N95s I'd just buy one or a small pack (whatever is the least quantity you can get) and see if you can tolerate it before buying a significant quantity.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 7

21 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I'm not one of the folks who said they wouldn't lock down again (I haven't actually "unlocked" that much), but recent data is definitely changing my perception of risk and my willingness to do things I was OK with a month ago. For example, DS is currently home for two weeks and the plan was for us to drive back to his university together (2400 miles cross country) so he could have his car there this year, and then I would fly home. I was OK with that a month ago, when cases were 1/5th of what they are now, but I'm pretty uncomfortable with the idea now, and I think the situation will be even worse two weeks from now. But if DS doesn't have a car there this year, he may have to miss practice two days/week because the bus schedule won't allow him to get there and back in time to shower, change, and get to early classes on those days. I'm thinking of just having him use Uber on those days, and I'll eat the cost. The idea of spending four days driving through states with low vax rates and no masking, staying in motels, using public restrooms, going into crowded gas stations and places to get food, just seems like a really terrible idea right now.

You’ll still need places to sleep, but otherwise can you take a cooler for food and/or scout out places to grab takeout en route? I usually map out taco places on road trips; lots of restaurants are still offering curbside pickup so you can avoid a lot of contact there. Restroom stops don’t lake long inside (and places like grocery stores are usually cleaner and less used than gas stations, while also providing healthier food options). I’m torn on hotels as well, but would you feel more comfortable staying in air B&bs or similar instead? Or… camp (or sleep in your car) along the way? 

I get your hesitation; we have a potential big trip coming up involving air travel and I’m really torn, too. But there might be some options for a driving trip? 

7 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I checked with my physician siblings. They say that a negative COVID test after symptoms present is rare, even with the Delta variant. We confirmed that it was a PCR test. 

We're going to stay home today and DH will get another test tomorrow but it appears that the negative result is accurate and DH got another virus. 

He's much better today. 

We need a fingers crossed emoji. 🤞🤞🤞

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, KSera said:

The problem with KN95s is that there are a lot of counterfeit ones that don’t meet the standard. Some are legit and some are not, but it’s hard to know what you’re getting. So far, N95 and KF94 hasn’t has that problem. 

Do you suppose the KF94s on Amazon are reliable, or do you know of a more reputable place to buy them? I’m leery of buying fakes.

40 minutes ago, KSera said:

I was all for quality cloth masks all the way, until things changed around January with alpha being more transmissible. We all went to KF94s indoors at that point. With delta, I really want to wear the best mask I possibly can. We have a mix of KF94 and N95 now. The KF94s filter just as well, and they have a good fit on us, but they have ear loops instead of head straps. I will now start using the N95 for the highest risk things (doctor’s appointments, for example). I haven’t seen kids’ n95s, so my younger kids wear kids’ kf94s, which have a nice fit on them. 

Happy Masks are filter masks, though. 

29 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Do you suppose the KF94s on Amazon are reliable, or do you know of a more reputable place to buy them? I’m leery of buying fakes.

Someone already posted about Wirecutter.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, MEmama said:

There are several sites regarded as reliable. I use www.behealthyusa.net. If you order from there, make sure you look at the top of the screen for a discount code, because they almost always have one, but it doesn't apply automatically.

For data folks, I really like the data Aaron Collins has put together on tons of masks (mostly KF94s)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M0mdNLpTWEGcluK6hh5LjjcFixwmOG853Ff45d3O-L0/edit#gid=1976839763

This FAQ shows his test setup: https://docs.google.com/document/d/13EsjfMshfC1Cvds37pmWSwBEdc6djfJ0YtFwkHM0wIQ/edit

I particularly like that he tests them as worn, not just the fabric itself

I see he just addressed Happy Masks in a Reddit post:

And a video comparing kids masks. This was before he tested the POSH kids masks, which are my favorite for small faces. He has since tested them, and they tested very well:

eta: if shopping for KF94s, the boat style ones fit a lot more faces a lot better than the bifold style. I hadn't even tried the bifold until lately for that reason, but recently added a couple to an order to try, and they don't fit any of us around the chin.

Edited by KSera
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Happy Masks FTW over here. The best mask to use is the best quality one that my family will wear. I personally know a lot of doctors, dentists, and optometrists I went to school with who buy this for their families.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Yes, tested up to 50 washings, and I get a nice fit. I like that they come in sizes - I can talk and they don't slide down.

I love ours. I'm now just thinking whether I need to upgrade, lol. 

I think my kids would mutiny if I took the Happy Masks away, though. They picked their patterns and are quite attached to them. I just ordered a whole bunch more as spares 😄 

• Like 1