Menu

At what point would you lock down again?

1 minute ago, popmom said:

In the schools around here, parents can decide at any time to go virtual. My friend's dd was a senior last year. She started out "in person". After being quarantined for the 3rd time, she opted to go virtual. Mid semester.

Yeah, virtual just won't work here. We have spent hundreds of dollars with a mifi/attenae set up to be able to get fast, reliable internet. Most don't have that. And our town internet is HORRIBLE. The internet IN TOWN went out for several days last week. There is only one cable internet provider, so no competition. Internet needs to be a utility that is guaranteed like water and electricity these days. 

Hope that isn't too negative.  🙂  Back to happy threads.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, popmom said:

In the schools around here, parents can decide at any time to go virtual. My friend's dd was a senior last year. She started out "in person". After being quarantined for the 3rd time, she opted to go virtual. Mid semester.

That was true here last year, but not this year. But last year they had teachers teaching online and in person at the same time, so it didn't really matter, staffing-wise, how many kids did which thing. This year the virtual is all separate (which is good; DH didn't want another year of dealing with the split classes), so it won't work the same way. 

• Like 2

So, one of the things I had gone back to was the FD support committee. We had pretty much shut down for a full year, our more at-risk members still haven’t returned, and we’re down to me, a friend who doesn’t really want to be on the committee, and two people who are brand spanking new. So I went back.

Now I’m supposed to go to a meeting tonight (I’m making it outdoors) and work on a big, indoor fundraiser we do jointly with another organization, which is supposed to be at the end of September. I don’t know how I’m supposed to work on this with no idea what September is going to look like. Even if it stays as is, I don’t want to be indoors with a whole bunch of people, with or without masks, and will certainly not have my 10yo there, but can’t leave him home alone. So it’s all nuts.

(We’re also supposed to be planning two fall events!)

37 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Yeah, virtual just won't work here. We have spent hundreds of dollars with a mifi/attenae set up to be able to get fast, reliable internet. Most don't have that. And our town internet is HORRIBLE. The internet IN TOWN went out for several days last week. There is only one cable internet provider, so no competition. Internet needs to be a utility that is guaranteed like water and electricity these days. 

I 100% agree that as a society now dependent on internet, it needs to be guaranteed and regulated! Virtual was a disaster here in many places due to a variety of reasons, but poor internet service in rural areas was one of them.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We bought some adhesive metal strips from Amazon and have been able to adjust fit that way better than inserting a wire. The adhesive aluminum strips are single use only, but we get something like 200 of them for $5-7.

link? I know DD would like to wear her cuter happy mask sometimes, if we can make it fit. 

I will say the ONLY thing Florida has done right was extend registration for the virtual option. Given what is going on, I can't imagine sending a kid too young to vaccinate in person if I didn't need the childcare. I know people who are..but ugh. 

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Also, if she is in a middle school, in an area with high vaccination, a large number of students should be vaccinated - since the 7th and 8th graders will be old enough for vaccination already. 

If she's in a K-8 school with a lot of mixing, or a k-6 school (that's how mine was, back in the day, with 7th and 8th in the JR High), that calculus is a bit different. 

It's a K-8 school. And it's a Catholic school so probably less likely to be vaccinated than the rest of the population here. That's speculation but it's DADT here about vaccines so who the heck knows? 

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We bought some adhesive metal strips from Amazon and have been able to adjust fit that way better than inserting a wire. The adhesive aluminum strips are single use only, but we get something like 200 of them for $5-7.

That's true. I actually have some from when I was making masks. They were faster that the wire when I ramped up to making masks for extended family (though I still put them in a casing rather than adhering them). Have you found them to stay stuck? I stuck a couple on some commercial cloth masks we had, but they would come unpeeled on one side all the time. My preference is still the copper wire I started out using. I can make the nose wire longer and it's heavy gauge and can make an excellent molded seal. (That's all moot because I have abandoned the (cuter) cloth masks in favor of KF94s for now.)

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

The talk about a "pandemic of the unvaccinated" is aimed at those who refuse to get vaccinated and I get that. However, when we do that we forget that the unvaccinated includes all children under 12, cancer patients, people with certain autoimmune diseases, and anyone else who can't get vaccinated for legitimate reasons. I think we need to stop making that phrase sound shameful or change it to something that clarifies it's about those who choose to be unvaccinated. Saying pandemic of the unvaccinated as though it's shameful makes people forget about all those, especially children, who are included in that pandemic.

Interesting. I guess I haven't been hearing that phrase the same way. I have heard it as just meaning that the pandemic is now one of unvaccinated people, whatever the reason they are unvaccinated--too young, immune compromised, too frail, or by choice. I posted something yesterday from Ashish Jha where he specifically made the point that all children under 12 are part of this current pandemic of the unvaccinated.

4 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

DD is supposed to start school a week from tomorrow. Masks are "highly recommended but optional" at school which translates to no masks. The mother of DD's best friend says she's going to try to force her daughter to wear a mask in school. I just don't see it happening. These are 11 YO girls. 

I'm getting cold feet about school. DH is very insistent that DD needs to go back to school and DD is very excited about returning to school to see her friends. 

DH and I are fully vaxxed. DD turns 12 in November. 

What would you do in my shoes? 

I’d keep her home until January.  

ETA: because of stories like this, attributed to Delta: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/07/25/world/asia/children-deaths-virus-indonesia.amp.html

Edited by Katy
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

The positivity rate is actually 10.2% in our county as of today. 

Not saying to do this.  But I would keep her home until she can be fully vaccinated and then I don't know.  High positivity in a school that doesn't mask?  I wouldn't probably send my kid there until this was way more under control. 

Maybe if she masked?  Although I don't know if that would be enough if not everyone was doing it. 

I am glad she was able to go to camp and get some good social time.  I think it is so easy to say to keep the younger kids home.  I have cried many times just wishing my kids were toddlers during this time.  They can stay home and be happy playing trains.  The older kids are missing out on so much by not being around other kids their age.  We just started back to face to face things less than a month ago.  Now this surge.  I just made the choice to have my kids go back to ballet and perform in a show indoors.  I am freaked the hell out.  The school is doing a lot to try to make it safer.  My older kids need to be around people and this is their passion.  I am regretting that they are into indoor activities.  I know the much safer thing to do is to keep them home.  But they are suffering doing that too.  Their mental health.  Normal things teens should be doing.  All their friendships.  I wanted to say no so badly, but I know that they need some normal too.  

So I think you have to make a personal and family choice here.  I think in the last 2 weeks I have come to the thought that I don't think we will be able to avoid covid anymore.  We have been soooo careful for so long and thought once we got the vaccine our chances would go down so much.  With Delta I don't think that we will be able to avoid it.  At some point I think we will get it. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KSera said:

That's true. I actually have some from when I was making masks. They were faster that the wire when I ramped up to making masks for extended family (though I still put them in a casing rather than adhering them). Have you found them to stay stuck? I stuck a couple on some commercial cloth masks we had, but they would come unpeeled on one side all the time. My preference is still the copper wire I started out using. I can make the nose wire longer and it's heavy gauge and can make an excellent molded seal. (That's all moot because I have abandoned the (cuter) cloth masks in favor of KF94s for now.)

They really are single use only, but they stay stuck on the entire day really well. They just don't hold up to a wash cycle.

I threaded long wires through the masks I initially made, and we found that they eventually twist into a bumpy mess and work their way out the side of the mask. 

I'm in KF94s, but the kids are in surgical topped with cloth masks. Our initial cloth masks are pretty thrashed after 18 months of heavy use, so we just bought a ton of Old Navy masks which don't have nose wires. The surgical do, and then we use the strips with the cloth since everyone is in glasses. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I have cried many times just wishing my kids were toddlers during this time.  They can stay home and be happy playing trains. 

yes and know. DD4 developed separation anxiety from no one ever leaving. And yesterday she showed me her "friend", Pinky. Pinky is a balloon she drew a face on that she talks to and plays with. 

Not going to lie, all I could think was that movie with Tom Hanks and the ball with a face on it. Ugh. 

At least my older ones can talk to people online. 

• Sad 7

Just now, ktgrok said:

yes and know. DD4 developed separation anxiety from no one ever leaving. And yesterday she showed me her "friend", Pinky. Pinky is a balloon she drew a face on that she talks to and plays with. 

Not going to lie, all I could think was that movie with Tom Hanks and the ball with a face on it. Ugh. 

At least my older ones can talk to people online. 

Yeah I do have a 5 year old so I see those things too.  I posted in some thread that she woke up one day crying asking if the virus was going to last forever.  Yesterday she came down and asked "is there an air quality advisory today?"   She doesn't remember people that she used to know.  And gets sad that we can't see family hardly at all.  I am sad to know that we probably won't be seeing them this holiday season.   When she got to go to an in-person ballet class she told me right after "I want to go back to this life."  It is hard on her too.  But for sure harder for my teens.  

• Sad 7

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

And yesterday she showed me her "friend", Pinky. Pinky is a balloon she drew a face on that she talks to and plays with. 

Awww, if it makes you feel better, that would be par for the course with all my kids, and only the littlest would I be able to blame it on the pandemic 😉. Hopefully her older siblings play with her some? We have similar sibling spacing. This would have been harder had my younger ones not had eachother. Does she have any zoom things she does? Surprisingly, mine has really enjoyed her once a week zoom with a few other kids her age and we facetime with cousins and such.

11 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

. And yesterday she showed me her "friend", Pinky. Pinky is a balloon she drew a face on that she talks to and plays with. 

My son did this with a squash when he was that age -- it was so cute.  But not really the same because he also got to go to pre-school 😞

My state senator apparantly just said, when asked about Florida having record hospitalizations and cases, that the biggest problem facing Florida is actually inflation. 

My husband is turning colors he's so angry. 

He just tweeted that he didn't spend a day building a negative pressure isolation unit in our house because our oldest tested positive for inflation. (more to the tweet, but it was foul language I think). 

My response was to suggest violence. Sigh. 

For those wondering, Rick Scott is the one I said was a villain from a Buffy the Vampire episode. 

image.png.2daf60ef079d64ac3adb3a18c0cd5eb8.png

• Sad 11

Re: separation anxiety, I am regularly planning coffee runs and day trips with my husband so that my kids are used to me leaving. 

I think we're going to get it. I think it will happen in the first three months of the older three kids being in school & university. I've been in a huge funk about it for a couple of weeks now, but after a lot of coffee and talking, I think we will just be at peace knowing that we did what we reasonably could and as this is going to be our endemic ever after, we have to balance it all. I literally have been running down our isolation at home plan for sick people this week and rounding out supplies. I still need to get new nebulizer tubing & a few other things.  (If I over prep, it means we'll just be asymptomatic, right?!!)

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

My state senator apparantly just said, when asked about Florida having record hospitalizations and cases, that the biggest problem facing Florida is actually inflation. 

My husband is turning colors he's so angry. 

He just tweeted that he didn't spend a day building a negative pressure isolation unit in our house because our oldest tested positive for inflation. (more to the tweet, but it was foul language I think). 

My response was to suggest violence. Sigh. 

For those wondering, Rick Scott is the one I said was a villain from a Buffy the Vampire episode. 

image.png.2daf60ef079d64ac3adb3a18c0cd5eb8.png

Lol. I definitely see the resemblance! 

4 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Re: separation anxiety, I am regularly planning coffee runs and day trips with my husband so that my kids are used to me leaving. 

I think we're going to get it. I think it will happen in the first three months of the older three kids being in school & university. I've been in a huge funk about it for a couple of weeks now, but after a lot of coffee and talking, I think we will just be at peace knowing that we did what we reasonably could and as this is going to be our endemic ever after, we have to balance it all. I literally have been running down our isolation at home plan for sick people this week and rounding out supplies. I still need to get new nebulizer tubing & a few other things.  (If I over prep, it means we'll just be asymptomatic, right?!!)

This is where I am, too.  I just want to get dd and ds to college (particularly dd, bc ds can do it virtually and then go.)  If we end up in a situation like Florida i will probably stay home in order to reduce spread, but I think we as a family have done what we can and the higher risk to my youngest 2 is in staying home right now tbh.  They did great, but were fraying. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SDMomof3 said:

I am hoping for boosters soon. Come on CDC. 

I recently read an interview discussing some of the key differences between an EUA and full approval, and one of the questions was about boosters. Under an EUA, medical providers may only use the substance (vaccine, medication, whatever) *exactly* as specified in the EUA. But once it's fully approved, those restrictions no longer apply and doctors can use it "off label" — including giving boosters to patients they feel would benefit.

My impression from other things I've read is that if Pfizer tweaks their vaccine specifically for Delta, for example, they would need to go through an expedited approval process, but once the original vaccine is fully approved, then doctors are free to use additional doses of that as boosters with no further action by the FDA. So it may be possible to get boosters of the original shot (with a doctor's approval) within 6-8 weeks.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I'm honestly OK with us getting it after we're vaccinated. Unless we get really alarming data about long COVID in vaccinated people, as I've said before. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'm honestly OK with us getting it after we're vaccinated. Unless we get really alarming data about long COVID in vaccinated people, as I've said before. 

Unfortunately, I think it's going to hit our family before the ped vaccine comes out.  I'm not ok with that, but I think I need to accept that possibility.  We've got all of the complicated medical stuff going on at our house so I feel a bit fatalistic at the moment, but that is all part of my emotional grind on a regular basis anyway, so....yay. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

I am with you guys.  I have given into the thought we are going to get it.  I mean how can you not with Delta?  We can't keep doing what we were doing even if we wanted to.  Dh's work is making him travel.  My kids have to go back for ortho work. And we all need some social interaction.  I feel like this summer was worse mentally than last summer.  I would love it to be after my younger 3 get their vaccine.  I will be there first thing to get it.  But if they don't come out in Sept or Oct, then I don't know how we can make it that long.  I mean we could get it at any time now.  We are going to do everything we can to stay healthy but we can't isolate anymore.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Unfortunately, I think it's going to hit our family before the ped vaccine comes out.  I'm not ok with that, but I think I need to accept that possibility.  We've got all of the complicated medical stuff going on at our house so I feel a bit fatalistic at the moment, but that is all part of my emotional grind on a regular basis anyway, so....yay. 

Ugh 😞 . I'm sorry. I take it there's no way for you to wait for that? 

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I am with you guys.  I have given into the thought we are going to get it.  I mean how can you not with Delta?  We can't keep doing what we were doing even if we wanted to.  Dh's work is making him travel.  My kids have to go back for ortho work. And we all need some social interaction.  I feel like this summer was worse mentally than last summer.  I would love it to be after my younger 3 get their vaccine.  I will be there first thing to get it.  But if they don't come out in Sept or Oct, then I don't know how we can make it that long.  I mean we could get it at any time now.  We are going to do everything we can to stay healthy but we can't isolate anymore.

This is why I planned online classes and outdoor outings for this fall 😕. I figured that'd tide us over until the vaccines are out, and then we'd have a ready social group. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Ugh 😞 . I'm sorry. I take it there's no way for you to wait for that? 

Nope. College aged kid returned to work a few weeks ago. He's in summer classes online, but has a fall return. He really needs to go back to be in the engineering lab since he has missed out for the last 18 months. 

Husband returns to office in a few weeks. 

Next kid in line really needs to be back in brick and mortar for his technical classes. There's just no feasible way to replicate that at home or to apprentice him out. (He will apprentice at 18.)

Life is resuming. We're keeping Youngest at home since she's the only one not vaccinated She and I are essentially locked down at this point, but everyone leaving the house is bringing home stuff.  We're being pragmatic and cautious, and only doing essentials, but the essentials are way beyond the bubble we had going for 17 months.  (Up until now, we pretty much could keep everyone at home 24/7 when we needed to and get by with ordering everything.)

18 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

DH is back in the office 3 - 4 days a week. I've started a job now 5 mornings a week (sharing an office with someone unvaccinated!). We have doctor's appointments, dentist & ortho appointments, and I just let one kid start volunteering at the science museum (where they do mask, but it's a kids' museum so they're obviously unvaccinated).  

We are all vaccinated, but I'm not liking our odds as one teen has a heart problem. I'm a little freaked even though she's vaccinated. I can't keep her locked down forever. Our activities are few, but still many. 

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 1

Just now, historically accurate said:

DH is back in the office 3 - 4 days a week. I've started a job now 5 mornings a week (sharing an office with someone unvaccinated!). We have doctor's appointments, dentist & ortho appointments, and I just let one kid start volunteering at the science museum (where they do mask, but it's a kids' museum so they're obviously unvaccinated).  

We are all vaccinated, but I'm not liking our odds as one teen with a heart problem. I'm a little freaked even though she's vaccinated. I can't keep her locked down forever especially as she is my sole extravert. 

Oh yeah I forgot dh's work is making him come back in the office.  I would feel a lot better if we were all vaccinated.  Yeah you can't keep locked down forever.  People have to work.  You have to get your medical care taken care. 

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Nope. College aged kid returned to work a few weeks ago. He's in summer classes online, but has a fall return. He really needs to go back to be in the engineering lab since he has missed out for the last 18 months. 

Next kid in line really needs to be back in brick and mortar for his technical classes. There's just no feasible way to replicate that at home or to apprentice him out. (He will apprentice at 18.)

Life is resuming. We're keeping Youngest at home since she's the only one not vaccinated She and I are essentially locked down at this point, but everyone leaving the house is bringing home stuff.  We're being pragmatic and cautious, and only doing essentials, but the essentials are way beyond the bubble we had going for 17 months.  (Up until now, we pretty much could keep everyone at home 24/7 when we needed to and get by with ordering everything.)

Ugh. Then just keep their masking rigorous and make sure you have good masks. It's actually not at all a given you'll get COVID in any given 3-month period. Even in NY back at the beginning, without ANY restrictions and without ANY masking, most people didn't get COVID. We got to like a fifth of the population. 

Basically, I'd say you shouldn't give up on lowering your odds because you can no longer keep them at zero! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

My husband’s employer postponed back to office by a month due to Delta, and will postpone again if things do not get better. Yesterday, he received the memo that all employees will have to mask regardless of vaccination status. 

Hopefully your husband’s work from home gets extended.

• Like 1

MIT has released their fall semester covid requirements. Students, Staff, and Faculty are *required* to get the vaccine if they work or study on campus (with a very few exceptions made for health and religious reasons). They will require masking in all indoor venues except in your dorm room. You must be tested upon arrival, and your door card will not work until you are. You must be tested every week or your door card will not work. Dining will resume, but they are encouraging outdoor eating. You must attest to your health every day. The main thing they are not doing is the 5 person pods that they required for the last 2 terms before people were vaccinated. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 9

I just got back from DD's back to school night. I want to cry. There were a few hundred people (adults and children) crowded together in a restaurant. Only a few people wore masks. No one was social distancing. DD and I walked in with masks then DD ran off with her friends and the mask was gone in a few minutes. 

But DD was so happy to be back with her friends. Ugg...this is so hard! 

Realistically speaking if we keep her home this semester, she will be terribly lonely. She hates Zoom. We really struggled to find social things for DD last year after she dropped out of the co-op. The co-op wasn't a good fit for DD either because we don't attend the same church as the other girls. 

The friends she's kept are at this school. 

• Sad 12

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

Here's some good news. A new study on long Covid in kids. I haven't had a chance to look it over yet, but I knew people would be interested on this thread:

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I just got back from DD's back to school night. I want to cry. There were a few hundred people (adults and children) crowded together in a restaurant. Only a few people wore masks. No one was social distancing. DD and I walked in with masks then DD ran off with her friends and the mask was gone in a few minutes. 

But DD was so happy to be back with her friends. Ugg...this is so hard! 

Realistically speaking if we keep her home this semester, she will be terribly lonely. She hates Zoom. We really struggled to find social things for DD last year after she dropped out of the co-op. The co-op wasn't a good fit for DD either because we don't attend the same church as the other girls. 

The friends she's kept are at this school. 

Wow.  It shocks me so much being around a bunch of unmasked people indoors.  I guess it showed you how the year is going to go.  That your dd probably won't keep a mask on if everyone else isn't wearing one. 

Can you find outdoor activities or sports for her to do?

Have the friends over a lot for gatherings that are outdoors or they have to mask in your house?  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KSera said:

Here's some good news. A new study on long Covid in kids. I haven't had a chance to look it over yet, but I knew people would be interested on this thread:

Honestly, I can't decide if I'm comforted by this, or not. 4.4% for 28+ days and 1.8% for 56+ days is a whole lot of kids when talking about a disease that the majority of kids are likely to get. That's over a million kids. Now, I know kids get post viral syndromes with other illnesses sometimes, and I guess I'm wondering how different this syndrome is. We wouldn't expect so many kids to all become infected with other illnesses that might cause one of these syndromes, though. Overall, I think it's better news than we've had on long covid in kids, but it still would suck for your particular kid to be one of the ones going through it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, KSera said:

The data they used only went up to February, though, and most cases would have been from 2020 (so even before Alpha). I'm not sure we can extrapolate from that data to how Delta will affect children, because so many things we assumed based on the original strain don't seem to apply to Delta.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

The data they used only went up to February, though, and most cases would have been from 2020 (so even before Alpha). I'm not sure we can extrapolate from that data to how Delta will affect children, because so many things we assumed based on the original strain don't seem to apply to Delta.

I agree with that, though on the other hand, have we seen anything that indicates Delta has a higher rate of long covid in adults?

39 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Wow.  It shocks me so much being around a bunch of unmasked people indoors.  I guess it showed you how the year is going to go.  That your dd probably won't keep a mask on if everyone else isn't wearing one. 

Can you find outdoor activities or sports for her to do?

Have the friends over a lot for gatherings that are outdoors or they have to mask in your house?  

Yes, it was definitely strange. We have been locked down for a year and a half. We've gradually begun doing things but have not been in an environment like that since February 2020. It was a little shocking. 

She's not really into sports. 

The problem with the friend group is that if DD is not in school and doing their activities with them, she will be forgotten. That started happening last year after things began opening up. Some of these families are more cautious than others but all the kids are allowed to socialize indoors without masks. We've allowed sleepovers with these girls over the last few months too. 

Even though it makes me sick to my stomach, I think we have no choice but to send her back to school. She needs to be with other kids for the sake of her mental health. She's spent a year and a half mostly separated from other kids. She's bored. She's tired of being around me all of the time. She's got some issues with anxiety. She's in counseling now because I know she needs someone objective to talk to. It's not bad but another semester of being separated from her friends will just make it worse. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

9 hours ago, KSera said:

2% still seems higher than I like 😕 . I always figured it’d be about that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Yes, it was definitely strange. We have been locked down for a year and a half. We've gradually begun doing things but have not been in an environment like that since February 2020. It was a little shocking. 

She's not really into sports. 

The problem with the friend group is that if DD is not in school and doing their activities with them, she will be forgotten. That started happening last year after things began opening up. Some of these families are more cautious than others but all the kids are allowed to socialize indoors without masks. We've allowed sleepovers with these girls over the last few months too. 

Even though it makes me sick to my stomach, I think we have no choice but to send her back to school. She needs to be with other kids for the sake of her mental health. She's spent a year and a half mostly separated from other kids. She's bored. She's tired of being around me all of the time. She's got some issues with anxiety. She's in counseling now because I know she needs someone objective to talk to. It's not bad but another semester of being separated from her friends will just make it worse. 

Maybe you really should get her vaccinated on the sly…

• Like 2

I just told Husband that I'm no longer comfortable eating at restaurants indoors.  We have high figures and I'm concerned about the vaccine breakthrough/long Covid issue.

So I am: wearing a mask and distancing in shops etc., wearing a mask and distancing if/when I have to go back into the office, testing regularly and asking those who visit our house to test too, and not masking outdoors.

• Like 5

At a school board meeting in Alachua County the head of local EMS said that there have been multiple times in the past few weeks where there were NO ambulances available in the whole county. Had a stroke? Hit by a car? sorry, gotta wait until someone has a chance to get to you. 

That school board is taking a gamble and doing a 2 week mask mandate for students, which they are hoping will slide by without them losing funding. But they know they can't really push it beyond that. 

Our district is bigger, and requiring masks for employees and visitors, as those are not covered by the governors order that bans school mask mandates. And giving $200 to vaccinated employees. But that's all they can do. They legally can't require teachers to vaccinate, and can't require kids to wear a mask. Even with 3 days in a row of record hospitalizations, hospitals without enough beds, not enough ambulances, etc. 

• Sad 12

re COVID revealing that broadband is now critical infrastructure:

20 hours ago, TexasProud said:

That's not negative.  That is a big red pointer to a "productive" use of your time. 

Take that post and convert it to a letter to your state representatives, your governor, your education commissioner and your local board of ed.  Ask your municipal candidates what their position is on this issue. Make clear you consider it a priority in determining your vote. Join a local civic group and work towards making it real. 

19 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I 100% agree that as a society now dependent on internet, it needs to be guaranteed and regulated! Virtual was a disaster here in many places due to a variety of reasons, but poor internet service in rural areas was one of them.

The rural / higher density divide is a useful observation.  Around here (where the entire state is, compared to TX, relatively high density) the digital divide is often framed in socioeconomic terms.  But in this particular political moment, the equally true observation that RURAL areas are Left Behind may play better.

re university protocols:

15 hours ago, lewelma said:

MIT has released their fall semester covid requirements. Students, Staff, and Faculty are *required* to get the vaccine if they work or study on campus (with a very few exceptions made for health and religious reasons). They will require masking in all indoor venues except in your dorm room. You must be tested upon arrival, and your door card will not work until you are. You must be tested every week or your door card will not work. Dining will resume, but they are encouraging outdoor eating. You must attest to your health every day. ...

This is almost exactly what Carnegie Mellon is doing as well. I expect the universities are swapping notes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1