Jump to content

Menu

At what point would you lock down again?


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I think what I was trying to say is when you are in a hole, climbing seems impossible. So telling an agoraphobe that going to a park with people is the thing to do isn’t helpful. Similarly telling a person with severe anxiety to create groups isn’t helpful either. I won’t go into specific issues here given the privacy concerns, but let’s just say I miss them in elementary school when I could be in a driving seat. 

It's not only like that for elementary school. The things you can do with teens are different but certainly not nonexistent. 

(And my little sister is like my bonus kid, so I do in fact know something about teens.) 

Edited by Not_a_Number
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

We are all vaccinated, but there is no world to rejoin. Everything here is online. And longer things stay online, greater the odds of those changes being permanent. There is no incentive for teachers to be back in the classroom. I am afraid there is no longer a world to rejoin. 

This is us too.  My youngest is a senior this year.  He was supposed to be doing community college.  It was a disaster when it went all online last year.  Since it is still almost all online, he is not doing it in the fall.  (As a dual enroll high school kid, he has extremely late registration.  He is not able to register until days before classes start.).   I know about the CHSPE.  We have good reasons for not having done it.
 

His main social group was at a game store where he played dungeons and dragons.  It hasn’t had in person gaming for well over a year.  And is unlikely to resume in person until next year.  The owner is immune compromised and very very covid cautious.  She has good reason to do so.  But it is hard for my kid.

Little kids are not the same as big kids.  They just aren’t.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JenneinCA said:

Little kids are not the same as big kids.  They just aren’t.

Most of the people giving advice have experience with teens. I can stop giving examples of what I did with my littles if that’s not helpful (it wasn’t meant to be copied literally), but it’s not like I’ve never seen teen issues before.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Plum said:

Are there any programs for medical personal like there are for teachers that pay back loans if you work for the state hospitals or something along those lines? If not, there should be. 

There aren’t really that many state hospitals in general, except ones for mental health or other specific things. Although this does vary by state. There are however lots of non profit hospitals and there are extremely generous federal loan forgiveness programs for those working for nonprofits and many hospitals also have their own programs to either help their employees further their education or pay back their loans. There are also special federal loan forgiveness programs for those who practice in underserved areas and many states, like mine, have a variety of financial incentives for those who practice in rural areas.

At least where I live, the two main problems are way, way more qualified people wanting to go into virtually all healthcare professions than there are training spots (CNA and pharmacy are exceptions) and burnout due to hospitals staffing as leanly as possible and other management practices. Also, many doctors I know feel as though much of what they are allowed to do/not do is controlled by insurance companies and administrators, so they feel a real loss of control and autonomy. And more and more private and group practices have been bought up by healthcare systems.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Most of the people giving advice have experience with teens. I can stop giving examples of what I did with my littles if that’s not helpful (it wasn’t meant to be copied literally), but it’s not like I’ve never seen teen issues before.

But maybe not necessarily  with mental illness and teens. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

I would say you’re wrong about that, knowing who’s been commenting.

Well the advice is appreciated from everybody experienced or not but sadly not helpful at all. 😞 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

Which means that there’s nothing you can possibly do? 😕 

Therapy 

and pray our CC will bring in person learning in the Spring. That doesn’t fix his problems, but it’s a tremendous help. He has been working in person past two months and the change is very noticeable. It’s not a situation we can keep going forward sadly. I am glad we opted for work as opposed to online camp. 
I might have better options next year (potentially). It’s this year we need to survive somehow. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Roadrunner said:

Therapy 

and pray our CC will bring in person learning in the Spring. That doesn’t fix his problems, but it’s a tremendous help. He has been working in person past two months and the change is very noticeable. It’s not a situation we can keep going forward sadly. I am glad we opted for work as opposed to online camp. 
I might have better options next year (potentially). It’s this year we need to survive somehow. 

Is there another job he can get? Can he just not do the CC classes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

Is there another job he can get? Can he just not do the CC classes?

It’s more complicated than that. I mean he needs to graduate as well sooner rather than later, so shortchanging him on education (the part he excels at) at the expense of a menial job that won’t bring any quality human friendships just to be out of the house won’t tilt equations to his benefit. It will just sink him in the area he is good at basically reducing his longer term options at the expense of dubious short term gain. 
I have one think potentially brewing, but it depends again on what will be allowed indoors. We will survive, hopefully. 😉

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

It’s more complicated than that. I mean he needs to graduate as well sooner rather than later, so shortchanging him on education (the part he excels at) at the expense of a menial job that won’t bring any quality human friendships just to be out of the house won’t tilt equations to his benefit. It will just sink him in the area he is good at basically reducing his longer term options at the expense of dubious short term gain. 
I have one think potentially brewing, but it depends again on what will be allowed indoors. We will survive, hopefully. 😉

CC classes aren’t the only possible form of education.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I have to admit I don’t fully understand how schools work there but don’t your kids have a legal right to attend public school?  Here the public schools can’t refuse to take them because there’s the whole right to an education thing.

 

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

They’d put him back in 9th grade, though, which is no good.

It depends on the district. Mine does grade assignment by birthdate. However they can reject all homeschool credits. When I asked about putting my kids back in school when oldest was in 8th, the principal would take all his AP credits and nothing else. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Therapy 

and pray our CC will bring in person learning in the Spring. That doesn’t fix his problems, but it’s a tremendous help. He has been working in person past two months and the change is very noticeable. It’s not a situation we can keep going forward sadly. I am glad we opted for work as opposed to online camp. 
I might have better options next year (potentially). It’s this year we need to survive somehow. 

Work is what I was going to suggest, so that’s good he does at least have that. If you’re rural, is there anything he could find at a barn helping with horses? It’s not peers (unless they have multiple people working at once), but horses can be incredibly healing to people and it’s social in its own way. Just a random idea based on past experience. 
 

Does he have an online therapy group session?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

It depends on the district. Mine does grade assignment by birthdate. However they can reject all homeschool credits. When I asked about putting my kids back in school when oldest was in 8th, the principal would take all his AP credits and nothing else. 

If it’s just for this year and he doesn’t need to graduate from the high school, then credits being accepted wouldn’t matter. If they would put him in the correct level courses according to work done, that could work fine. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

If it’s just for this year and he doesn’t need to graduate from the high school, then credits being accepted wouldn’t matter. If they would put him in the correct level courses according to work done, that could work fine. 

I was going to suggest the same thing. Our local high-school won't give you credit for stuff done at home,  but they are willing to place via placement tests. You just don't get a diploma... you could re- pull him for senior year and issue a hs diploma, giving credit for the past classes yourself.  

One of mine had 2yrs ps on their hs transcript, but I wrote the transcript and issued the diploma.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I was going to suggest the same thing. Our local high-school won't give you credit for stuff done at home,  but they are willing to place via placement tests. You just don't get a diploma... you could re- pull him for senior year and issue a hs diploma, giving credit for the past classes yourself.  

One of mine had 2yrs ps on their hs transcript, but I wrote the transcript and issued the diploma.  

That would be a dream come true, but ours won’t do it. In fact our district won’t even talk to you until your child is fully enrolled. I know they won’t do it because some of our friends tried just that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

CC classes aren’t the only possible form of education.

Of course not. In fact they aren’t an education at all if you ask me. They are however the only possible in person (and therefor social) option locally. 😕or they were before they turned into Khan Academy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Of course not. In fact they aren’t an education at all if you ask me. They are however the only possible in person (and therefor social) option locally. 😕or they were before they turned into Khan Academy. 

Right, but they are no longer in person, so why keep going with them? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

That would be a dream come true, but ours won’t do it. In fact our district won’t even talk to you until your child is fully enrolled. I know they won’t do it because some of our friends tried just that. 

My district office can be mean as well. I went direct to the principal for the assigned high school. He was willing to discuss. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

Right, but they are no longer in person, so why keep going with them? 

What difference does it make if we pay $800 for a PAH AP Computer Science class that is online or nothing for a CC class for the same content?

We are only taking what we would otherwise outsource to PAH. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Roadrunner said:

What difference does it make if we pay $800 for a PAH AP Computer Science class that is online or nothing for a CC class for the same content?

We are only taking what we would otherwise outsource to PAH. 

Because maybe you can find a class with some actual social component?? Why are you restricted to those two, anyway?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if you could take advantage of various Zoom classes local to other areas? Right now, we have quite the thriving online scene of classes in NYC, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same kind of thing exists in the urban parts of CA. You could try looking for a class that's online but where you could maybe drive to once or twice to meet the kids? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

That would be a dream come true, but ours won’t do it. In fact our district won’t even talk to you until your child is fully enrolled. I know they won’t do it because some of our friends tried just that. 

Maybe I'm not understanding, but I think the idea would be that, for one year, you *would* fully enroll him. Then, by testing, it would be clear that he's ready for calculus, AP biology, etc. Even if he has to sit through English 9 (and maybe he wouldn't), overall it could be better than the alternatives.

Then, the next year you pull him back out, give homeschool credit for everything he took, and continue with senior year.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

I wonder if you could take advantage of various Zoom classes local to other areas? Right now, we have quite the thriving online scene of classes in NYC, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same kind of thing exists in the urban parts of CA. You could try looking for a class that's online but where you could maybe drive to once or twice to meet the kids? 

He hates zoom and all things online. Hates. That’s the point. He has plenty of those lined up because we have no other choice, but it’s precisely what we were hoping to avoid. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Roadrunner said:

He hates zoom and all things online. Hates. That’s the point. He has plenty of those lined up because we have no other choice, but it’s precisely what we were hoping to avoid. 

Has he had any small unmuted Zoom classes? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Innisfree said:

Maybe I'm not understanding, but I think the idea would be that, for one year, you *would* fully enroll him. Then, by testing, it would be clear that he's ready for calculus, AP biology, etc. Even if he has to sit through English 9 (and maybe he wouldn't), overall it could be better than the alternatives.

Then, the next year you pull him back out, give homeschool credit for everything he took, and continue with senior year.

So basically they would put him into English 9, AP Human Geo, Honors Bio (AP not available unless you took their 9th grade honors bio). No option of AP English unless you finish their English 9 and 10. 
Math isn’t an issue.

They won’t let him take any APs (history, electives, social sciences) because those are for grades 11 and 12 here but he will have a standing of a 9th grader.

They suck. 

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Roadrunner said:

So basically they would put him into English 9, AP Human Geo, Honors Bio (AP not available unless you took their 9th grade honors bio). No option of AP English unless you finish their English 9 and 10. 
Math isn’t an issue.

They won’t let him take any APs (history, electives, social sciences) because those are for grades 11 and 12 here but he will have a standing of a 9th grader.

They suck. 

Maybe that'd be OK for a bit? Most kids he'd be with would be his age, right? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

Maybe that'd be OK for a bit? Most kids he'd be with would be his age, right? 

No, that would be a disaster. That would be an equivalent of putting him into middle school almost. Younger kids. Totally humiliating in addition to an absolute waste of a year academically. Worst idea ever. The better idea is to apply to college early. 
 

I don’t know how this thread became about me. I am sorry. I don’t really want to talk about this anymore. 😞 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Roadrunner I just wanted to say I’m sorry things are so hard.  

ETA: Deleted long post about my rising senior having same struggles and how we are attempting to handle.  Just saw you don’t want to discuss anymore.  If you change your mind, feel free to pm.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Roadrunner my local CSU’s library is going to be reopened to public from Aug   2nd. Once their TeenHQ fully reopen, maybe your son can hang out there whenever you happen to be in my region. My county’s vaccination rate is quite high.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depending on the area, many boys are redshirted for social, academic, and sports reasons.  The boys at least might not be younger at all.  Of course it depends on the area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

That would be a dream come true, but ours won’t do it. In fact our district won’t even talk to you until your child is fully enrolled. I know they won’t do it because some of our friends tried just that. 

Our school wouldn't allow partial enrollment either...no way, no how...  but could you fully enroll him as if you were planning to stick it out, try for somewhat reasonable placement in English and Math,  then just pull after that year. You don't have to tell them what you're really up to...  most electives have kids from multiple grades, science classes aren't taken in lockstep.  Honestly, I'd really only worry about Math and that he takes a science that isn't a repeat. English class isn't really that hugely different from year to year. If they insist doggedly on freshman English,  just make sure it's honors - could likely be as challenging as non-honors junior English...

ETA: wanted to add, my kids also had some mental health struggles at this age. My goals shifted from 'rigorous education' to 'just get them out alive'... if he really needs in-person, then APs might just have to be let go for now... for one of mine, the only sciences ended up being something we did in 8th, and a semester each of Chem and Zoology.  Had to let it go...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Therapy 

and pray our CC will bring in person learning in the Spring. That doesn’t fix his problems, but it’s a tremendous help. He has been working in person past two months and the change is very noticeable. It’s not a situation we can keep going forward sadly. I am glad we opted for work as opposed to online camp. 
I might have better options next year (potentially). It’s this year we need to survive somehow. 

Roadrunner...

I'm glad working is helping him. Would it be at all possible to just do a gap year? Your son has done plenty of high school credit worthy courses prior to his chronological age. Just take the semester or even the year to focus on his well-being and go way outside the box. Maybe just keep math going if you don't want to lose momentum there. You are a PSA in CA, so submitting a subject transcript is entirely fine. 

I'm so sorry...this must be very difficult for you to see your son suffering like this.

 

Edited by calbear
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

So, not only is Florida only releasing numbers weekly, not daily, but they do it on Fridays and it is now 2pm an they still haven't updated. Latest info was released on the 23rd. GRR

Worldometer has been releasing Florida along with other states daily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At our high school, there are many courses that have no prerequisites, and therefore have a mix of ages.  I don't know if there are any actual requirements for each grade.  (Like, could a 9th grader decide not to take 9th English until the next year?)  There are other English options such as mythology which don't have prerequisites, so maybe that would fly.  Maybe a phone call with the assigned guidance counselor could result in a schedule that isn't too ridiculous under the circumstances.

Another thought is to enroll in PS and do some CC classes as DE.  This is an option at our school starting in 7th grade, and there is a huge list of courses to choose from, provided the student passes an entry exam.  Perhaps the "9th English" requirement could be met that way.  Even if CC is going to be online and sucky, this may be mitigated by mixing it up with PS electives that don't suck too much.

I don't mean to be a pest though.  I truly understand that all of the overall options Stink with a capital S.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida/

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how their numbers correspond to those released by the state of Florida?  (I realize that Worldometer must be getting numbers from somewhere. . . )

Last time I checked Worldometer, it was really off. I was checking Missouri. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also wanted to send hugs, Roadrunner. I am sorry that so many are going through this. They cancelled Sacha's lifeguard camp for today because of a Covid outbreak. They didn't have a single outbreak last summer. It is scary to think that we are in a worse predicament this year, but such is life with Delta. 😪

  • Sad 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida/

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how their numbers correspond to those released by the state of Florida?  (I realize that Worldometer must be getting numbers from somewhere. . . )

I know the New York Times website just puts 0 cases for 6 days of the week, then lists the full week's cases that last day, and the graph shows the average. It's weird. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the present moment, our school superintendent is strongly recommending everyone to wear masks, but emphasizing that this is NOT a mandate.

Next week, our state g-man will provide school "guidance," so it is likely our superintendent will change up our rules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

You spelled Evil wrong. 

3 minutes ago, SKL said:

At the present moment, our school superintendent is strongly recommending everyone to wear masks, but emphasizing that this is NOT a mandate.

Next week, our state g-man will provide school "guidance," so it is likely our superintendent will change up our rules.

Yeah, the drycleaner has a "masks preferred" sign. I was the ONLY one wearing one. If it isn't required, might as well not bother. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...