Menu

At what point would you lock down again?

Not_a_Number

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I have to admit I don’t fully understand how schools work there but don’t your kids have a legal right to attend public school?  Here the public schools can’t refuse to take them because there’s the whole right to an education thing.

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

They’d put him back in 9th grade, though, which is no good.

It depends on the district. Mine does grade assignment by birthdate. However they can reject all homeschool credits. When I asked about putting my kids back in school when oldest was in 8th, the principal would take all his AP credits and nothing else. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Therapy 

and pray our CC will bring in person learning in the Spring. That doesn’t fix his problems, but it’s a tremendous help. He has been working in person past two months and the change is very noticeable. It’s not a situation we can keep going forward sadly. I am glad we opted for work as opposed to online camp. 
I might have better options next year (potentially). It’s this year we need to survive somehow. 

Work is what I was going to suggest, so that’s good he does at least have that. If you’re rural, is there anything he could find at a barn helping with horses? It’s not peers (unless they have multiple people working at once), but horses can be incredibly healing to people and it’s social in its own way. Just a random idea based on past experience. 

Does he have an online therapy group session?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

It depends on the district. Mine does grade assignment by birthdate. However they can reject all homeschool credits. When I asked about putting my kids back in school when oldest was in 8th, the principal would take all his AP credits and nothing else. 

If it’s just for this year and he doesn’t need to graduate from the high school, then credits being accepted wouldn’t matter. If they would put him in the correct level courses according to work done, that could work fine. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

If it’s just for this year and he doesn’t need to graduate from the high school, then credits being accepted wouldn’t matter. If they would put him in the correct level courses according to work done, that could work fine. 

I was going to suggest the same thing. Our local high-school won't give you credit for stuff done at home,  but they are willing to place via placement tests. You just don't get a diploma... you could re- pull him for senior year and issue a hs diploma, giving credit for the past classes yourself.  

One of mine had 2yrs ps on their hs transcript, but I wrote the transcript and issued the diploma.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I was going to suggest the same thing. Our local high-school won't give you credit for stuff done at home,  but they are willing to place via placement tests. You just don't get a diploma... you could re- pull him for senior year and issue a hs diploma, giving credit for the past classes yourself.  

One of mine had 2yrs ps on their hs transcript, but I wrote the transcript and issued the diploma.  

That would be a dream come true, but ours won’t do it. In fact our district won’t even talk to you until your child is fully enrolled. I know they won’t do it because some of our friends tried just that. 

15 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

CC classes aren’t the only possible form of education.

Of course not. In fact they aren’t an education at all if you ask me. They are however the only possible in person (and therefor social) option locally. 😕or they were before they turned into Khan Academy. 

4 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Of course not. In fact they aren’t an education at all if you ask me. They are however the only possible in person (and therefor social) option locally. 😕or they were before they turned into Khan Academy. 

Right, but they are no longer in person, so why keep going with them? 

5 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

That would be a dream come true, but ours won’t do it. In fact our district won’t even talk to you until your child is fully enrolled. I know they won’t do it because some of our friends tried just that. 

My district office can be mean as well. I went direct to the principal for the assigned high school. He was willing to discuss. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

Right, but they are no longer in person, so why keep going with them? 

What difference does it make if we pay $800 for a PAH AP Computer Science class that is online or nothing for a CC class for the same content?

We are only taking what we would otherwise outsource to PAH. 

• Like 1

Just now, Roadrunner said:

What difference does it make if we pay $800 for a PAH AP Computer Science class that is online or nothing for a CC class for the same content?

We are only taking what we would otherwise outsource to PAH. 

Because maybe you can find a class with some actual social component?? Why are you restricted to those two, anyway?

I wonder if you could take advantage of various Zoom classes local to other areas? Right now, we have quite the thriving online scene of classes in NYC, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same kind of thing exists in the urban parts of CA. You could try looking for a class that's online but where you could maybe drive to once or twice to meet the kids? 

13 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Maybe I'm not understanding, but I think the idea would be that, for one year, you *would* fully enroll him. Then, by testing, it would be clear that he's ready for calculus, AP biology, etc. Even if he has to sit through English 9 (and maybe he wouldn't), overall it could be better than the alternatives.

Then, the next year you pull him back out, give homeschool credit for everything he took, and continue with senior year.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

I wonder if you could take advantage of various Zoom classes local to other areas? Right now, we have quite the thriving online scene of classes in NYC, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same kind of thing exists in the urban parts of CA. You could try looking for a class that's online but where you could maybe drive to once or twice to meet the kids? 

He hates zoom and all things online. Hates. That’s the point. He has plenty of those lined up because we have no other choice, but it’s precisely what we were hoping to avoid. 

Just now, Innisfree said:

Maybe I'm not understanding, but I think the idea would be that, for one year, you *would* fully enroll him. Then, by testing, it would be clear that he's ready for calculus, AP biology, etc. Even if he has to sit through English 9 (and maybe he wouldn't), overall it could be better than the alternatives.

Then, the next year you pull him back out, give homeschool credit for everything he took, and continue with senior year.

So basically they would put him into English 9, AP Human Geo, Honors Bio (AP not available unless you took their 9th grade honors bio). No option of AP English unless you finish their English 9 and 10. 
Math isn’t an issue.

They won’t let him take any APs (history, electives, social sciences) because those are for grades 11 and 12 here but he will have a standing of a 9th grader.

They suck. 

• Sad 3

Just now, Roadrunner said:

So basically they would put him into English 9, AP Human Geo, Honors Bio (AP not available unless you took their 9th grade honors bio). No option of AP English unless you finish their English 9 and 10. 
Math isn’t an issue.

They won’t let him take any APs (history, electives, social sciences) because those are for grades 11 and 12 here but he will have a standing of a 9th grader.

They suck. 

Maybe that'd be OK for a bit? Most kids he'd be with would be his age, right? 

• Like 1

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

Maybe that'd be OK for a bit? Most kids he'd be with would be his age, right? 

No, that would be a disaster. That would be an equivalent of putting him into middle school almost. Younger kids. Totally humiliating in addition to an absolute waste of a year academically. Worst idea ever. The better idea is to apply to college early. 

I don’t know how this thread became about me. I am sorry. I don’t really want to talk about this anymore. 😞 

• Sad 1

@Roadrunner I just wanted to say I’m sorry things are so hard.  

ETA: Deleted long post about my rising senior having same struggles and how we are attempting to handle.  Just saw you don’t want to discuss anymore.  If you change your mind, feel free to pm.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Our school wouldn't allow partial enrollment either...no way, no how...  but could you fully enroll him as if you were planning to stick it out, try for somewhat reasonable placement in English and Math,  then just pull after that year. You don't have to tell them what you're really up to...  most electives have kids from multiple grades, science classes aren't taken in lockstep.  Honestly, I'd really only worry about Math and that he takes a science that isn't a repeat. English class isn't really that hugely different from year to year. If they insist doggedly on freshman English,  just make sure it's honors - could likely be as challenging as non-honors junior English...

ETA: wanted to add, my kids also had some mental health struggles at this age. My goals shifted from 'rigorous education' to 'just get them out alive'... if he really needs in-person, then APs might just have to be let go for now... for one of mine, the only sciences ended up being something we did in 8th, and a semester each of Chem and Zoology.  Had to let it go...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Therapy 

and pray our CC will bring in person learning in the Spring. That doesn’t fix his problems, but it’s a tremendous help. He has been working in person past two months and the change is very noticeable. It’s not a situation we can keep going forward sadly. I am glad we opted for work as opposed to online camp. 
I might have better options next year (potentially). It’s this year we need to survive somehow. 

Roadrunner...

I'm glad working is helping him. Would it be at all possible to just do a gap year? Your son has done plenty of high school credit worthy courses prior to his chronological age. Just take the semester or even the year to focus on his well-being and go way outside the box. Maybe just keep math going if you don't want to lose momentum there. You are a PSA in CA, so submitting a subject transcript is entirely fine. 

I'm so sorry...this must be very difficult for you to see your son suffering like this.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

So, not only is Florida only releasing numbers weekly, not daily, but they do it on Fridays and it is now 2pm an they still haven't updated. Latest info was released on the 23rd. GRR

Worldometer has been releasing Florida along with other states daily.

At our high school, there are many courses that have no prerequisites, and therefore have a mix of ages.  I don't know if there are any actual requirements for each grade.  (Like, could a 9th grader decide not to take 9th English until the next year?)  There are other English options such as mythology which don't have prerequisites, so maybe that would fly.  Maybe a phone call with the assigned guidance counselor could result in a schedule that isn't too ridiculous under the circumstances.

Another thought is to enroll in PS and do some CC classes as DE.  This is an option at our school starting in 7th grade, and there is a huge list of courses to choose from, provided the student passes an entry exam.  Perhaps the "9th English" requirement could be met that way.  Even if CC is going to be online and sucky, this may be mitigated by mixing it up with PS electives that don't suck too much.

I don't mean to be a pest though.  I truly understand that all of the overall options Stink with a capital S.

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida/

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how their numbers correspond to those released by the state of Florida?  (I realize that Worldometer must be getting numbers from somewhere. . . )

Last time I checked Worldometer, it was really off. I was checking Missouri. 

• Thanks 1

I also wanted to send hugs, Roadrunner. I am sorry that so many are going through this. They cancelled Sacha's lifeguard camp for today because of a Covid outbreak. They didn't have a single outbreak last summer. It is scary to think that we are in a worse predicament this year, but such is life with Delta. 😪

• Sad 6

20 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida/

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how their numbers correspond to those released by the state of Florida?  (I realize that Worldometer must be getting numbers from somewhere. . . )

I know the New York Times website just puts 0 cases for 6 days of the week, then lists the full week's cases that last day, and the graph shows the average. It's weird. 

At the present moment, our school superintendent is strongly recommending everyone to wear masks, but emphasizing that this is NOT a mandate.

Next week, our state g-man will provide school "guidance," so it is likely our superintendent will change up our rules.

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

You spelled Evil wrong. 

3 minutes ago, SKL said:

At the present moment, our school superintendent is strongly recommending everyone to wear masks, but emphasizing that this is NOT a mandate.

Next week, our state g-man will provide school "guidance," so it is likely our superintendent will change up our rules.

Yeah, the drycleaner has a "masks preferred" sign. I was the ONLY one wearing one. If it isn't required, might as well not bother. 

• Like 4

State still hasn't updated the main website. But this is what the New York Times has. 

We are pretty much back to our peak in Feb for cases, and hospitalizations are going way up. 

I seriously am fighting back tears. How that man can look at these numbers and say what he says, how people can go about their lives like nothing is happening...it's maddening. 

And my dryer is broken again, dang it. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 3.14.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 3.14.51 PM.png

Edited by ktgrok
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 12

9 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Wondering if people have now changed their minds on what you are going to do?  I think there were people in the start that were not going lock down again.  Does the recent information coming out the last few days change anything?  I am so so so torn.

If I didn't have teens, I would lock down again. I want us to see  my parents without fear we might bring them COVID, even though we're all vaccinated.

I'm really worried about how to handle that next year. It's bad for my parents to go another year with outdoor only visits (and I'm not sure even that is safe with DELTA), and it's bad for my teens to go another year cutting down their in person contacts. 

I've been going around in circles about this lately. I don't have any good options. 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Sad 6

4 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

No one will call that a conspiracy theory if there is actual evidence, especially one that doesn't involved science.  Delta has changed the data and the equation but in the spring schools opened up here when the data indicated they could.  

I live urban and 100% agree, it is much better for at risk youth to be in person.  

I don't think we know what the science is, though. So many schools around us were open  and in-person, and there were really just small outbreaks here and there.  I don't think any of the kids were even hospitalized. I know there were many other areas around the US that had in-person school. So wouldn't those successes be evidence that it could be done safely? I mean sure, in NY in the early part of the pandemic, it would've been crazy to open schools but a lot more areas could have opened (and should be able to open this fall too). I do think that masks should be required for in-person learning though. 

14 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Wondering if people have now changed their minds on what you are going to do?  I think there were people in the start that were not going lock down again.  Does the recent information coming out the last few days change anything?  I am so so so torn.

We've currently done all the easy stuff, the stuff that doesn't make the kids pay: we've gotten rid of babysitters and we've stopped going into stores and to work and to the gym. 

What's left is the kids' outdoor stuff, like playgrounds. I'm torn on that. On the one hand, I still haven't seen a ton of evidence of outdoor transmission except in very crowded areas. On the other hand, I would really rather not have the kids get COVID right before the vaccines come out. And we don't understand Delta transmission patterns all that well yet. 

We'll almost certainly keep seeing friends in non-crowded areas somehow. Just need to figure out how to make it work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

I know there were many other areas around the US that had in-person school. So wouldn't those successes be evidence that it could be done safely?

Delta is way more contagious, though. Plus, weren't there recently posts pointing out that you can't measure kid transmission very well directly, since so few kids are tested -- to study this well, you have to study the kids' parents, and people don't do that enough... And if you do that, kid transmission looks higher. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

He is homeschooled. Public schools will have to take all kids, but they don’t have to give them credit for any work done as a homeschooler. So they will take my kid, but will not allow him to take courses as an 11th grader. He will be in freshman courses. 
Public school is face to face. That’s why I put another kid in as a 9th grader. But I don’t have options for my 11th grader. 

What about parochial or private? Not sure if that's an affordable option, but wondering if they have the same rules. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sbgrace said:

If I didn't have teens, I would lock down again. I want us to see  my parents without fear we might bring them COVID, even though we're all vaccinated.

I'm really worried about how to handle that next year. It's bad for my parents to go another year with outdoor only visits (and I'm not sure even that is safe with DELTA), and it's bad for my teens to go another year cutting down their in person contacts. 

I've been going around in circles about this lately. I don't have any good options. 

I think if all of you are vaccinated, can the teens do indoor stuff with only other vaccinated people? Small group stuff? Then bigger groups outside?

And then do an at home test right before visiting your parents? Assuming you don't see them daily...we go no more than monthly right now, so we can test before hand, which we may start doing. 

4 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

I don't think we know what the science is, though. So many schools around us were open  and in-person, and there were really just small outbreaks here and there.  I don't think any of the kids were even hospitalized. I know there were many other areas around the US that had in-person school. So wouldn't those successes be evidence that it could be done safely? I mean sure, in NY in the early part of the pandemic, it would've been crazy to open schools but a lot more areas could have opened (and should be able to open this fall too). I do think that masks should be required for in-person learning though. 

Yeah, but that was pre- delta, and most were smaller class sizes and masked and distanced as much as possible. This year schools will NOT be masked in my area, distancing is no longer required, and the virus is WAY more contagious. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

To a large extent we have never un-locked-down.

From the very beginning, our community has shown an utter contempt for even simple precautions, so we have never felt comfortable resuming recreational shopping, in-person restaurants, hair cuts, libraries, etc. The kids are still not entering any public buildings except necessary medical appointments - and even many of those we are scheduling virtually. DH or I goes grocery shopping (masked) every 2ish weeks, timing our visit for when the store will be most deserted. We do take the kids to playgrounds, but we stay away from the playground equipment if there are more than a few other kids.

For us, the big question is what will happen in the fall. For the first time, one of my kids will be entering public school, though his situation will be safer than most (self-contained bussing and classroom with 10-12 other kids and limited contact with others). I'm really hoping that my other kids will be able to do extracurriculars, but I'm very nervous about that currently. If they do attend, they will of course be masked, and they will be vaccinated as soon as it is available for their ages.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I'm not one of the folks who said they wouldn't lock down again (I haven't actually "unlocked" that much), but recent data is definitely changing my perception of risk and my willingness to do things I was OK with a month ago. For example, DS is currently home for two weeks and the plan was for us to drive back to his university together (2400 miles cross country) so he could have his car there this year, and then I would fly home. I was OK with that a month ago, when cases were 1/5th of what they are now, but I'm pretty uncomfortable with the idea now, and I think the situation will be even worse two weeks from now. But if DS doesn't have a car there this year, he may have to miss practice two days/week because the bus schedule won't allow him to get there and back in time to shower, change, and get to early classes on those days. I'm thinking of just having him use Uber on those days, and I'll eat the cost. The idea of spending four days driving through states with low vax rates and no masking, staying in motels, using public restrooms, going into crowded gas stations and places to get food, just seems like a really terrible idea right now.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, whitestavern said:

I'm not sure we can compare what was safe and worked last year with what is safe and will work this year.  Delta is just so incredibly more contagious than OG covid.  

We're all vaccinated, and we'll get boosters as soon as we can.  But I don't think I can keep my kids home another year.  I figure the odds are high that we'll get covid, even with masking in public/ at school.  But I think I have to send them.  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I'm not sure we can compare what was safe and worked last year with what is safe and will work this year.  Delta is just so incredibly more contagious than OG covid.  

We're all vaccinated, and we'll get boosters as soon as we can.  But I don't think I can keep my kids home another year.  I figure the odds are high that we'll get covid, even with masking in public/ at school.  But I think I have to send them.  

I think risking it when you are vaccinated makes sense. 

• Like 4