Menu

12-15 year olds vaccine experiences

Katy

I'm so glad to hear the kids are having an easier time of it! Makes sense - the age most of us are is the age a lot of autoimmune stuff shows up - I guess we are in a high immune reaction phase of life or something. Older and younger, not as much. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

I'm so glad to hear the kids are having an easier time of it! Makes sense - the age most of us are is the age a lot of autoimmune stuff shows up - I guess we are in a high immune reaction phase of life or something. Older and younger, not as much. 

Of course this is just the first shot we're talking about right now.  🙂

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I'd guess that it's kind of the same thing that's causing COVID to be less severe in younger kids? I don't think that generically younger kids have smaller immune responses. 

My 15 yo got his shot last Thursday.  He did fine, his arm was just a bit sore for a day or two.  Today he has a sore throat and a cough.  I have no idea if it is a reaction to the shot, his allergies, or if he is getting sick.  I am letting him rest up and giving him warm drinks.  Hopefully he feels better tomorrow.

• Like 3

My boys got theirs yesterday.

DS 1 had 24 hours of a bad headache, sore arm, and took naps...so tired. He is feeling better now. Headache is less and less tired. Arm is still sore. 

DS 2 is still feeling very rough. Migraine, sore joints, sore arm, very tired, a little queazy. He has a very overreactive immune system and this was expected. His Dr warned us not to let him out of the house because if he got COVID it would probably be bad. He is high risk. He is happy to be getting his vaccine started because it means less fear for him. But he is now a bit worried about getting the second shot. 

• Sad 8

It is now nearly 48 hours from vax.

DS 1: feels almost completely fine. Still mild arm soreness, he says it is better than it was. He slept a a couple hours or so longer than usual last night.

DS 2: has smiles again. He says he still has a sore arm and his headache is mild now. The joints also feel better. He slept hard for 14 hours last night. Guess that helped! 😆

Now DD feels rough (her second shot was yesterday). She is dizzy and headachy. She is not in the 12-15 group though. 

• Like 4

18 yo DS got his second shot (Pfizer) yesterday afternoon.  He felt fine yesterday, but today he is having extreme fatigue and a headache.  He is drinking lots of water and thinks he will be fine this afternoon.  We shall see.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, bluemongoose said:

It is now nearly 48 hours from vax.

DS 1: feels almost completely fine. Still mild arm soreness, he says it is better than it was. He slept a a couple hours or so longer than usual last night.

DS 2: has smiles again. He says he still has a sore arm and his headache is mild now. The joints also feel better. He slept hard for 14 hours last night. Guess that helped! 😆

Now DD feels rough (her second shot was yesterday). She is dizzy and headachy. She is not in the 12-15 group though. 

So glad to hear your DS2 is feeling better, and hope your DD isn't far behind!

• Like 2

DD had her first shot this week and has swelling near the injection site. It's not quite a rash but it's red, raised, and visible from a distance. She's a little sore but not too bad. She gets shots regularly for reasons and doesn't typically respond like that to shots/injections, so it's remarkable but not severe or significant. 

• Like 3

DS12 got his first shot this morning.  I wanted to wait a couple more weeks, but everyone by me is lifting mask requirements so I'm feeling somewhat forced into it.  So far he's doing well.  I thought I was going to cry though.  A lady in the observation area asked me how I decided to vaccinate him because she is on the fence over her 14 yo.  I gave her an earful!  DS was the only minor there, which was sort of discouraging, but at least adults are still trickling in.

• Like 2

My 13 year old was vaccinated yesterday, when I asked him today he said his arm was sore, but he hadn’t mentioned it before I asked. He hiked 12 miles today so I’d say he’s feeling fine. He had covid in February but was asymptomatic.

• Like 5

Dd got her first shot yesterday. We made sure to let the nurses know of her food allergies. That was my main concern, whether she would react, but both her allergist and ped were confident that she wouldn’t react based on prior vaccines. They had us wait to the side for 30 minutes, so an extra 15 minutes more. The nurse mentioned that with the thousands that have come through the clinic, there was no overlap of food allergies with vaccine allergy. The only side effect was a sore arm. She was tired, but that could have been due to only having a few hours of sleep the night before. I chose a drive-through instead of the local pharmacy.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Syllieann said:

DS12 got his first shot this morning.  I wanted to wait a couple more weeks, but everyone by me is lifting mask requirements so I'm feeling somewhat forced into it.  So far he's doing well.  I thought I was going to cry though.  A lady in the observation area asked me how I decided to vaccinate him because she is on the fence over her 14 yo.  I gave her an earful!  DS was the only minor there, which was sort of discouraging, but at least adults are still trickling in.

By evening ds12 had developed a bad headache.  He took Tylenol and turned in early. This morning he slept about a half hour longer than normal.  His headache is gone, but he says his arm is very sore.  There don't seem to be any other symptoms.

• Like 3

Sorry this might be the wrong thread as I’m running and don’t have time to find the WuhAn one but might be good to be aware.  Apologies if it’s already been shared.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-23/us-reportedly-investigating-heart-issues-after-covid-vaccine/100158880

• There have been reports of heart inflammation issues with teens and young adults after receiving an mRNA COVID-19 vaccines
  • The CDC says the condition often goes away without complications and can be caused by a variety of viruses
  • Authorities say they did not find more cases of the condition than would be expected in the population, but felt healthcare providers should be aware

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I’m glad they’re paying attention and looking into anything that might come up, even when it’s extremely rare. Wanting to include this for anyone who doesn’t click through to read the story:

At the moment, the number of cases of myocarditis reported after vaccination does not appear to be greater than would normally be seen in young people, according to the C.D.C. But members of the agency’s vaccine safety group “felt that information about reports of myocarditis should be communicated to providers,” the report said.’

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, KSera said:

I’m glad they’re paying attention and looking into anything that might come up, even when it’s extremely rare. Wanting to include this for anyone who doesn’t click through to read the story:

At the moment, the number of cases of myocarditis reported after vaccination does not appear to be greater than would normally be seen in young people, according to the C.D.C. But members of the agency’s vaccine safety group “felt that information about reports of myocarditis should be communicated to providers,” the report said.’

I'm going to be unsurprised if it's a real effect, though. There were rumblings of that in older people and it looks like younger vaccine recipients have more side effects than older ones. 

It's obviously true that the vaccine is vastly preferable to COVID. The question is whether the vaccine is going to be preferable to the small chance of getting COVID if a kid lives in a highly vaccinated urban area... I expect it will be, but it's a much more interesting question.

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'm going to be unsurprised if it's a real effect, though. There were rumblings of that in older people and it looks like younger vaccine recipients have more side effects than older ones. 

It's obviously true that the vaccine is vastly preferable to COVID. The question is whether the vaccine is going to be preferable to the small chance of getting COVID if a kid lives in a highly vaccinated urban area... I expect it will be, but it's a much more interesting question.

Honestly, this has crossed my mind.  We aren’t highly vaccinated, but our rate is like 0.5% and my kids likely had asymptomatic Covid.  My almost 9-year-old daughter has had three exposures including living and not distancing from me when I had it.  I strongly suspect she’s had it and is immune at this point.  My oldest coughed a bit for a week and was fatigued when I had Covid, but since we were isolating anyway I didn’t have him tested(he’s autistic and it would have been traumatic with no real benefits). 

It is something I consider.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Honestly, this has crossed my mind.  We aren’t highly vaccinated, but our rate is like 0.5% and my kids likely had asymptomatic Covid.  My almost 9-year-old daughter has had three exposures including living and not distancing from me when I had it.  I strongly suspect she’s had it and is immune at this point.  My oldest coughed a bit for a week and was fatigued when I had Covid, but since we were isolating anyway I didn’t have him tested(he’s autistic and it would have been traumatic with no real benefits). 

It is something I consider.

I really need more data on long haul COVID before I decide. And more data on the vaccine, of course. 

55 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Ugh I am so worried right now. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

It's obviously true that the vaccine is vastly preferable to COVID.

We are in a phase 3 trial ... 

it seems very early to be concluding “obviously true” 

I think 2024 after phase 3 ends in 2023 might be better  for “obviously “ statements if situations are obvious by then

I would prefer to read  something like it currently appears that ____  

Maybe you are trying to convince the vaccine hesitant, but at least speaking for myself, it  doesn’t come off the way you think if that’s the case 

I think especially as a numbers and statistics person, (eta) probably someone who people look to for accuracy in regard to numbers, statistics and similar, I think the more you are honest, transparent and do not exaggerate, or use hyperbole,  the better. 

The question is whether the vaccine is going to be preferable to the small chance of getting COVID if a kid lives in a highly vaccinated urban area... I expect it will be, but it's a much more interesting question.

vaccines have not been proved to prevent transmission 

I have no way to conclude that being in a highly vaccinated area will be protective 

children were already at extremely low risk with the wild virus

but if leaky vaccine problems causing “hotter” virus emerge that may no longer apply

Eta: but even if “hotter” virus emerges from “leaky vaccines” it does not necessarily mean taking more of the leaky vaccines is the right approach.  

Edited by Pen

16 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Ugh I am so worried right now. 

I understand the worry. Try to keep in mind the doctors treating these kids are still saying what they have seen from Covid in kids was worse and more frequent, and so far the rate of this isn’t higher than would be expected even if those same kids hadn’t been vaccinated. It’s possible it could turn out to be a real effect, but enough have been given at this point that it seems highly, highly unlikely it’s going to turn out to be anything other than a very rare effect.

PS— could someone let Pen know that we actually do know the vaccine decreases transmission significantly? A lot of her posts are predicated on her not being aware that we have lots of studies now showing that it does that very well.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Pen said:

I think especially as a numbers and statistics person, (eta) probably someone who people look to for accuracy in regard to numbers, statistics and similar, I think the more you are honest, transparent and do not exaggerate, or use hyperbole,  the better. 

I am sure that I can't convince you, but for anyone else reading along: I'm not being hyperbolic. I am very sure that if one ran a "trial" in which every single person who didn't get a placebo got COVID, then even amongst kids and teenagers, the outcomes would be significantly worse than they were with the vaccine trial. There's no real data pointing the opposite direction. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, KSera said:

I understand the worry. Try to keep in mind the doctors treating these kids are still saying what they have seen from Covid in kids was worse and more frequent, and so far the rate of this isn’t higher than would be expected even if those same kids hadn’t been vaccinated. It’s possible it could turn out to be a real effect, but enough have been given at this point that it seems highly, highly unlikely it’s going to turn out to be anything other than a very rare effect.

PS— could someone let Pen know that we actually do know the vaccine decreases transmission significantly? A lot of her posts are predicated on her not being aware that we have lots of studies now showing that it does that very well.

I know that so far they are saying it is a small amount and not any more frequent than normal.  My rational mind knows that small risk, but the tiny part of me is worried about it.   I wanted to wait awhile too, but there are risks with that too.  That you might get covid in that time or that you spend even more time isolated at home, which we have been since March 2020.  

• Like 1

Of course it'll be a rare effect. But then getting COVID is about to become fairly rare, too. That's the thing one has to weigh... when you get a vaccine, you have a 100% chance of getting the vaccine. But if most adults and teens in your area are vaccinated, then your kid's chance of getting COVID this year is small. 

She is not aware of that, but not for lack of telling her. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

I am sure that I can't convince you, but for anyone else reading along: I'm not being hyperbolic. I am very sure that if one ran a "trial" in which every single person who didn't get a placebo got COVID, then even amongst kids and teenagers, the outcomes would be significantly worse than they were with the vaccine trial. There's no real data pointing the opposite direction. 

I am not following what you mean specifically in your paragraph above. If everyone who didn’t get a placebo ... do you mean placebo ?   

But without getting your specific I agree that If you are simply speaking your own personal belief, I get that.  I’ll read all your statements now in that light. 

50 minutes ago, Pen said:

I am not following what you mean specifically in your paragraph above. If everyone who didn’t get a placebo ... do you mean placebo ?   

But without getting your specific I agree that If you are simply speaking your own personal belief, I get that.  I’ll read all your statements now in that light. 

thinking about it, a trial that had placebo, experimental substance, and nothing at all not even placebo as three part comparison would be interesting. Some people think injections of just saline have their own dangers. And even more dangers if “placebo” is a different  vaccine with its own excipients and active ingredients.  

For all I know that may be happening now as part of the current phase 3 trial.  Maybe some people who have had no reactions got a “placebo” even now. Deliberately or by accident. 

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

I wanted to wait awhile too, but there are risks with that too.  That you might get covid in that time or that you spend even more time isolated at home, which we have been since March 2020.  

I definitely get that. I'm usually a wait-and-see person with vaccines as well, but like you say, weighing against covid and continuing to stay home, combined with everything we know about the vaccines and how they work and their safety profile, my 15yo got it the second day it was available. And my older kids, I couldn't have stopped them from getting it even had I wanted. to. All three were so eager and excited to be vaccinated so they can start doing more things and not worry they are going to spread Covid to other people. *I'm* so excited for my college kids to have a more normal college year next year, hopefully (the oldest goes to a school that is mandating vaccines, so that is going to help immensely in letting things start back up again).

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

Of course it'll be a rare effect. But then getting COVID is about to become fairly rare, too. That's the thing one has to weigh... when you get a vaccine, you have a 100% chance of getting the vaccine. But if most adults and teens in your area are vaccinated, then your kid's chance of getting COVID this year is small.

I hope getting Covid will start becoming rare. I'm not yet seeing enough places with high enough vaccination rates for that to be true. For sure, if everyone who can get vaccinated would go do so, we could get in a situation where vaccinations for kids became rather moot. Maybe all the "we can't sacrifice the kids for the adults!" people could put their money where their mouths are and get vaccinated so that the kids really didn't need them.

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

She is not aware of that, but not for lack of telling her. 

Yeah, you're almost certainly right. It's just that the last several times she has said it, I'm the only one who has responded to that part of her post, and she doesn't see my posts, so I expect she is blissfully unaware that there actually are lots of studies showing the vaccines do dramatically reduce transmission. One would think people would be glad to know that.

Edited by KSera
erroneous quote inserted
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I understood her to mean a trial of vaccine vs Covid - that if you compared a group of vaccine-getters to an equivalent group of Covid-getters, the Covid-getters would have had far worse symptoms than the vaccine-getters, including for kids and teens (i.e. even though kids who get Covid have, on average, less severe symptoms than adults who get Covid, kids with Covid would still, on average, have more severe symptoms than kids who get the vaccine).  Thus her assertion that getting the vaccine is definitely better than *actually* getting Covid, even if getting the vaccine might not be better than a 5% chance of getting Covid.

• Thanks 1