Menu

Brain mystery - Unimportant, but driving me crazy.

Jenny in Florida

I had another one of those essentially no sleep nights last night, and somewhere at around 3:00am I started thinking of an actress. I feel like she's extremely familiar -- probably a regular on some series I know well -- but I can't put my finger on her name, the name of the show, the character she played, anything.

And it is driving me 1000% bonkers.

Wanna help?

I know she's middle aged, definitely not "young." She has long, straight hair, light and possibly reddish? Bangs. She's slender. I think the show I know her from is some kind of ensemble comedy and that she may have worn some kind of uniform that consisted of a (maybe blue?) vest over a light-colored button-down shirt. Her voice is slightly husky. The character she played was sometimes slightly acerbic but essentially warm and kind. 

I know that all very vague, but any leads at all?

I tried feeding Google every combination of  terms I could think of and scrolled past pages of photos. At one point, I became convinced that she isn't an actress at all, but maybe someone I have worked with? But I never worked anywhere that had uniforms that look anything like what I'm seeing in my brain.

1 hour ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I had another one of those essentially no sleep nights last night, and somewhere at around 3:00am I started thinking of an actress. I feel like she's extremely familiar -- probably a regular on some series I know well -- but I can't put my finger on her name, the name of the show, the character she played, anything.

And it is driving me 1000% bonkers.

Wanna help?

I know she's middle aged, definitely not "young." She has long, straight hair, light and possibly reddish? Bangs. She's slender. I think the show I know her from is some kind of ensemble comedy and that she may have worn some kind of uniform that consisted of a (maybe blue?) vest over a light-colored button-down shirt. Her voice is slightly husky. The character she played was sometimes slightly acerbic but essentially warm and kind. 

I know that all very vague, but any leads at all?

I tried feeding Google every combination of  terms I could think of and scrolled past pages of photos. At one point, I became convinced that she isn't an actress at all, but maybe someone I have worked with? But I never worked anywhere that had uniforms that look anything like what I'm seeing in my brain.

Jen from the IT crowd?

10 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Jane Seymour?

Definitely not her.

10 hours ago, Tap said:

Have you watched Superstore?

Yes, but it's not anyone from that show.

8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Jen from the IT crowd?

Haven't seen that one.

22 minutes ago, marbel said:

My first thought was Rashida Jones from Parks and Recreation, though I don't think she would be considered middle-aged. So probably not your person but maybe the thought will lead you closer.

Similar type, but distinctly older.

20 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Odd thought-  any chance you had been watching Troop Beverly Hills recently? Something about your post just made that pop in my mind.  

I've never seen that one, either.

6 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

Tanya Roberts from That 70s Show?

I've never seen it so I don't know about the personality or uniform part, but your physical description made me think of her. She'd have been in her 50s when it was on the air.

The woman I'm thinking of is a bit less glamorous than Tanya Roberts. Thanks, though!

• Like 1

Hmm. Can you tell if she's in a recent show or a bit of an older one? That might help narrow the choices.

Did she say any catch phrases that might give a hint? Do you know what she was talking about or to whom? Did she make a particular gesture or expression? Is she tall or short? 

A uniform with a vest over a button-down makes me think of an airline or hotel employee.

I hate dreams like these. They drive me nuts when I have them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wildcat said:

Hmm. Can you tell if she's in a recent show or a bit of an older one? That might help narrow the choices.

Did she say any catch phrases that might give a hint? Do you know what she was talking about or to whom? Did she make a particular gesture or expression? Is she tall or short? 

A uniform with a vest over a button-down makes me think of an airline or hotel employee.

I hate dreams like these. They drive me nuts when I have them.

I'm honestly not sure how old the show is. I'm thinking not more than 10 years or so ago? 

I don't remember any particular catch phrases, just that she had/has a great laugh.

I did briefly wonder if the character might be a flight attendant, but I don't think so.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

A current show?   If it’s something older, possibly Peri Gilpin? 

Oh, I like her! (But she's not the one I'm thinking of.)

51 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Here’s a list of actors/actresses who have a husky voice.  Any of them seem familiar? 
https://m.imdb.com/list/ls063182510/

Lots familiar, none of them "the one."

44 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

One actress that list didn’t include was Kathleen turner.  I would have thought she’d be number one.  

That is an odd omission. (But it's not her, either.)

31 minutes ago, OH_Homeschooler said:

The thing about vests led me on a brain trip of my own, I remember a character who wore a lot of vests. I came to Jennifer Morrison on House, she played Dr. Cameron. Sometimes had bangs, sometimes her hair was red and sometimes blond. Younger than middle age though. 

This is the person I was thinking of, too, but the only show I know her from (Once Upon a Time) didn't match.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I'm honestly not sure how old the show is. I'm thinking not more than 10 years or so ago? 

I don't remember any particular catch phrases, just that she had/has a great laugh.

I did briefly wonder if the character might be a flight attendant, but I don't think so.

Well, I'm out of ideas. I sure hope someone else can come up with something for you!

• Like 1

Thanks again to everyone for trying so valiantly! So far, no luck.

I will say that many or most of the people suggested here are, if not household names, actors with whom I am very familiar and whom I would know by name or be able to place quickly when I saw them. The person I'm thinking of is not in that category. I do not associate her with any role other than whatever it is I'm not quite remembering.

• Like 1

I just was walking by the television and a commercial was on.  It had a lady around 50-60 with curly red hair and a light colored blazer.  I have no idea what they were advertising as the sound was low and I was just passing through the room.  But her outfit and hair made me think of this post.  I wonder if that is what you saw late one night. 

18 hours ago, MrsMommy said:

Jane Kaczmarek? Laurie Metcalf?

I would recognize/be able to place both of them.

12 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I just was walking by the television and a commercial was on.  It had a lady around 50-60 with curly red hair and a light colored blazer.  I have no idea what they were advertising as the sound was low and I was just passing through the room.  But her outfit and hair made me think of this post.  I wonder if that is what you saw late one night. 

I'm pretty sure it's a sit-com, not a commercial, and the mental video shows her with long-ish straight hair.

12 hours ago, Paige said:

Crystal Bernard from Wings? She wears a blue vest in the promos. How old do you think the show is?

I loved that show when it was in first run! I'd recognize her.

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Not from the Catherine Tate Show?  

I haven't seen that one.

5 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Kirsten Nelson as the police chief in Psych?

She's another one I would be able to place quickly.

We need a "Thank you so much for trying, but that's not it" emoji.

I don't want to leave you all hanging or feeling ignored. I so much appreciate the effort!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1