Menu

Let’s be lighthearted! Stress eating here. What’s on your menu?

Familia

26 minutes ago, klmama said:

Sweet potatoes cooked in the instant pot - my favorite comfort food.

8 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Pumpkin pie! I made two, one with a stevia blend for me, one with real sugar for my kids. Both yummy!!

Pie makes excellent b'fast.

Recipes please for sweet potatoes in instant pot and pumpkin pie with Stevia. My scarfer -- dh -- made cinnamon rolls for himself and the boys.

TIA,

W.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

Recipes please for sweet potatoes in instant pot

Put rack in instant pot.  Add water.  Wash sweet potatoes, put whole with skins on into the instant pot, staying below maximum fill line.  Cook 15 minutes.  Let steam release naturally.  Pull out rack and let sweet potatoes cool enough that you can handle comfortably.  Slice in half and squeeze insides out into a bowl.  Mash.  Serve.  

ETA:  You could probably peel first with similar results, but this takes less time.

Edited by klmama
  • Like 4

I have beef stew in the crock pot and will make either rolls or cornbread to go with it for dinner. But we also have lots of snackies--chips, cheese and crackers, sweets. So far I've abstained, but the Chex snack mix has already been singing its siren song to me. I'm gonna try to be a good girl and go fix a bowl of bean soup to (try to) drown it out. 😉 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Familia said:

I’m eating beer cheese & sriracha nut thins.  Yum!

When I first read this I thought you'd already broken out the beer this morning, and I was amazed at your fortitude!

Me: Halloween candy. After today it's all going out the door. 

• Haha 5

All I want is Doritos, but I can’t eat the regular ones because of food dyes and the store is out of organic white cheddar Doritos.  ☹️  I think I’ll roast broccoli with bacon instead.  Everyone else can fend for themselves, or fight me for the broccoli w/ bacon.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, klmama said:

Put rack in instant pot.  Add water.  Wash sweet potatoes, put whole with skins on into the instant pot, staying below maximum fill line.  Cook 15 minutes.  Let steam release naturally.  Pull out rack and let sweet potatoes cool enough that you can handle comfortably.  Slice in half and squeeze insides out into a bowl.  Mash.  Serve.  

ETA:  You could probably peel first with similar results, but this takes less time.

If you have huge monster organic sweet potatoes from Costco, cook time is 45 minutes, or you need to cut them into smaller pieces.  

Also, for me, they only keep in the fridge and taste "right" for three days. You can't cook a week's worth at a time.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I'm making beef stew for supper tonight. Thanks for this thread--it reminds me that I need to get my bread rising!

Me too, with veggies and potatoes from the garden.  I'm stress eating pretty much everything that isn't nailed down, between phonebanking and manic house cleaning.  After my first course of reese's cups, half a bagel with an egg, celery, salty almonds, fried celeriac, and spicy cheese, I've moved on to wasabi peas.  They're perfect, because there's a slight dis-incentive to keep eating them as they get spicier the more you eat them.  

It snowed 4 inches here this morning, so tonight we'll have a bonfire, beef stew, Swiss chocolate that DD managed to grab on her way out of the country, and wine.  Plus anything else that doesn't get eaten before dark.  

• Like 3

Eating everything, absolutely everything.  I had cold, leftover GF pizza for breakfast, because it was there.  

Now I have my own private board of kalamata olives, Sartori merlot cheese and charcuterie.  No one else may touch it.  It’s to keep my hands out of the Halloween candy.  

DH is making salmon and sautéed red peppers and onions for dinner (a la some tv chef, and they are amazing), and now I’m planning to roast broccoli and bacon to go with it.  Yum!

Lunch was egg salad, DD’s favorite comfort food.

• Like 4

Not stressed--dh and I are having a little getaway at a mountain cabin. We already voted

on the menu for today: wheat thins and crab dip, steak and veggie kabobs, pan seared sea scallops, roasted potatoes, sliced Cherokee Purple tomatoes fromr the pandemic garden lol. Oh, and lots of red wine. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Eating everything, absolutely everything.  I had cold, leftover GF pizza for breakfast, because it was there.  

Now I have my own private board of kalamata olives, Sartori merlot cheese and charcuterie.  No one else may touch it.  It’s to keep my hands out of the Halloween candy.  

DH is making salmon and sautéed red peppers and onions for dinner (a la some tv chef, and they are amazing), and now I’m planning to roast broccoli and bacon to go with it.  Yum!

Lunch was egg salad, DD’s favorite comfort food.

I'm eating Spryte-style today.

This morning I made the mistake of going shopping this morning when I was in the mood to cook all the things, so I have a ton of groceries. 

I just made apple crisp with my favorite McIntosh apples plus goat cheese mac and cheese.  Working on some chicken and veggie kabobs. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dreamergal said:

Aloo Paratha (Potato stuffed naan), chicken 65, dal (lentils), kadaai paneer, salad. Gulab Jamun as dessert with homemade vanilla ice cream.

Mostly carbs, comfort foods a plenty and dessert. 

I cook if I am stressed and I have been cooking up a storm. 

That all sounds divine. I want to be at your house!

It's my birthday, so I will probably binge a bottle of wine and Uber Eats some sushi and/or spicy shrimp tacos. 🌮🥑🍷🧁

I'm so stressed there have already been several rounds of anxiety tears this morning. 🌊🌊🌊

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 4

I’ve been eating almost everything that isn’t nailed down today.  But I’m craving Candy Cane ice cream. I blame Hallmark Christmas movies. 

DH took the week off. We usually visit family in Florida in early November but this year it’s a staycation. He went to run errands and I asked him to stop & get some ice cream. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

That all sounds divine. I want to be at your house!

It's my birthday, so I will probably binge a bottle of wine and eat some sushi and/or spicy shrimp tacos. 🌮🥑🍷🧁

I'm so stressed there have already been several rounds of anxiety tears this morning. 🌊🌊🌊

Happy Birthday!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Katy said:

I’ve been eating almost everything that isn’t nailed down today.  But I’m craving Candy Cane ice cream. I blame Hallmark Christmas movies. 

DH took the week off. We usually visit family in Florida in early November but this year it’s a staycation. He went to run errands and I asked him to stop & get some ice cream. 

That's a good excuse to eat ice cream. I was kind of thinking about opening a bottle of something myself. 🍸

• Like 2

I am working tonight - from home, so I won't be in face-to-face contact with people, but still I wonder how moods will be. I have popcorn, and celery sticks with cheese ready for munching.  

(Un)fortunately there is no candy in the house.  I think some cookies though. 

I'd have a hot toddy sort of thing if it wasn't for having to work! Hot tea probably later in the evening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katy said:

Yum, that ice cream sounds delicious!  I love Hallmark Christmas movies!   Every other year I complain about them starting before Halloween,  not this year.  This year I am embracing and watching tons of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

I'm so stressed there have already been several rounds of anxiety tears this morning. 

You aren't alone....me too.

Also...Happy Birthday!  I'm sorry your birthday is falling on such a stressful day.  I say you need to have a do-over this weekend.

Edited by Ditto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I was going to serve tacos tonight. It's a favorite comfort food for me. Then I realized that because I'm a creature of habit, I had tacos on that infamous first Tuesday in November of 2016. 

I'm not superstitious but...we'll have tacos tomorrow. 

Thank you for putting off the tacos till tomorrow.  (i am being sincere...very sincere)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

Recipes please for sweet potatoes in instant pot and pumpkin pie with Stevia. My scarfer -- dh -- made cinnamon rolls for himself and the boys.

TIA,

W.

Libby's recipe, subbing either Pyure or Swerve.  I add an extra egg and use 1 cup of cream in place of the condensed milk. 16 oz of cooked, pureed butternut will work too.

I make crust in my Kitchen Aid. Williams-Sonoma recipe. 1 and 1/4 C flour, 1 stick unsalted butter (or half butter and half pastured lard), 1/4 t salt, 1 t sugar. Butter should be very cold and cut into small pieces. Mix dry ingredients, toss in butter, mix on medium 1 minute. Add very cold water, 1 T at a time, while mixing on low, until dough comes together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Malted milk 🤣. (Horlicks cold.)   Maybe chocolate.   Maybe frozen banana.   

a big beautiful sourdough loaf and butter arrived for my son ...   I am gluten free, but it sure looks good!   Maybe  I’ll do yams with butter for me!  Sounds good @klmama and maybe some bacon that sounds good too @Ali in OR

otherwise left over stew for tonight.   

Probably Fajitas tomorrow 

• Like 2

I’ve have chicken strips marinating in seasoned buttermilk all day and I’m about to fry them up. DS is requesting double breading, but this seems a bit excessive to me. We’re also doing bagged salad and leftover pasta on the side. (I’m on a serious leftovers-as-side-dish kick.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1