Menu

New forum layout?

alisoncooks

2 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Am I the only one seeing a whole new forum layout this morning (mobile device)? 

Me too.  I am just getting used to it, but so far I like it.

I find it very visible, and there’s no annoying yellow circle. 

• Like 5

I do not like it. 
Some (but not all!.) threads use only half the screen on my iPad so scrolling through takes forever. And, posts that have replies are truncated so my method of reading “backward” from the last post back up to the break where I previously stopped doesn’t work any more. I doubt I’ll be able to keep up with long threads with this format. 
I think it looks messier and less professional. I typically find that to be true with most updates. It’s petty, but the bold font for names is just hideous.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Dobby's Sock said:

I don't know if you are on your desktop or phone - I am using my computer right now and when I change the theme to "WTM default" instead of just "Default", it turns the color scheme slightly gray so it's not blaringly white.  Although some other things change as well...

Apparently, that's just my eyes; DS informed me that it doesn't actually change 😄 

Where did you find that option?

I also find the white too bright.

39 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I do not like it. 
Some (but not all!.) threads use only half the screen on my iPad so scrolling through takes forever. And, posts that have replies are truncated so my method of reading “backward” from the last post back up to the break where I previously stopped doesn’t work any more. I doubt I’ll be able to keep up with long threads with this format. 
I think it looks messier and less professional. I typically find that to be true with most updates. It’s petty, but the bold font for names is just hideous.

It seems that the threads that use half a screen are the multi page ones.  It uses half the screen for statistics on who has posted recently and other data irrelevant to reading the thread.  Annoying 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Dobby's Sock said:

At the very bottom of the page below the social media icons.  There's a test word "Theme" with a triangle beside it.  Click on it and you get two options.

I'm on a desktop and the WTM default does make for a grayer screen. But it also puts even wider "margins' on the side of the screen.

I like it.  

It looks cleaner to me, and more current.

Mobile device here, no idea what it looks like otherwise.

Then again, I have weird eyesight.  And was “trained” on a health support website where lots of us had neuro issues and needed extra spacing and white space for our brains to process writing.  Maybe I’m predisposed to liking it.  😊

Edited by Spryte
Typo, oops!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am missing the “mark this thread read” option. Is it gone?  I like to catch up on the threads that I find interesting and then mark everything as read. It’s easier to then come back later and see what’s new. 

Quoting myself to say that on the laptop it is nice and bolded at the top right of the screen.  But on the mobile version I had to search.  It's at the very bottom under everything else.  But it's there and like all changes I will get used to it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kand said:

I wonder if there’s a difference depending on how bright people keep their screen settings. I keep my phone down around only a third of full brightness. I can imagine it might be blinding white if I kept it all the way up. 

Possibly. We bought a refurbished desktop, and I haven't been able to find where to change the brightness of the screen. 

The white was making it very difficult for me to read the forum. The glare!

I tried adjusting my screen brightness, but that didn't make much difference.

But on my Chromebook there's a night light setting. I turned it on and set it to a warmer shade and it's significantly better. I'm not sure how it will be tonight, and I certainly hope I don't have to adjust the setting multiple times a day just for this forum, but for now . . . it's a lot better.

27 minutes ago, kand said:

I wonder if there’s a difference depending on how bright people keep their screen settings. I keep my phone down around only a third of full brightness. I can imagine it might be blinding white if I kept it all the way up. 

I have my brightness on the lowest possible setting. It's still too white. 

• Like 1

I don't like the names in bold either, it comes across as too harsh.   I always think, if it ain't broke, why fix it?  

The classified section is what needs fixing, I hope this update helped for that. Has anyone tried?!  

Jean, please tell us more about the 'mark this thread read' option button. What does it actually do?

Is there a button that you can star if you like it and want to come back to it months later for instance? Do you just use the 'follow topic' button?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dobby's Sock said:

Try going to your account settings --> Signature and make sure the button is on for show other signatures.

That did it. Even when I had to get a new account last week, the sig setting stayed on, but with this new update, for whatever reason, it turned it off. Thank you!

48 minutes ago, kand said:

That’s a good point. I keep my brightness turned down always. 

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Yep I am seeing it too.  I like it so far.  This is the second site I have logged into today that is totally redone.

The Washington Post was different today.  My doctor’s office changed the online chart software yesterday.  I’m *done* with changes for this week!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

The threads show up as per normal on my iPhone 7 https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/forum/4-general-education-discussion-board/

That's nice.  But I can go to every single subforum on this board except for the General Ed one.  I don't know why but it isn't something that I am doing "wrong". 

4 hours ago, kdsuomi said:

I absolutely do not like it and hate that everything online is going to a similar look. Several websites I've frequented have gone to this type of look in the last few years, and, honestly, I've stopped going to almost all of them. I'll have to look to see if there's a dark version because this is far too white for my brain to handle.

If you figure it out please come and tell us!

2 hours ago, wilrunner2 said:

I don't see any signatures on my desktop. Anyone else see them?

Yes, I can see them on my laptop.

On 9/15/2020 at 9:55 AM, MEmama said:

And, posts that have replies are truncated so my method of reading “backward” from the last post back up to the break where I previously stopped doesn’t work any more. I doubt I’ll be able to keep up with long threads with this format. 

I always just click on the little circle or star (star if I've posted in the thread) next to the thread title & it automatically takes me to my first unread post in the thread. Does that work for you?  (I would get annoyed reading backward up the thread.)

It now shows where your last unread post are explicitly. And when someone edits the post, it says something  (like "user changed the title" 11 hours ago).

• Like 1

I everything except that it hides longer posts.  I typically scan though longer posts as I scroll to see if I might want to read them all the way through or just keep scrolling down.  Now I have to click on each one which seriously interrupts the flow.  What a pain in the neck. It's cumbersome and more time consuming when it doesn't need to be.

For those who don't like the brightness, you can turn down the brightness on your computer screen. Look on the top row of your keyboard and see if there is a little circle with lines extending out of it, like a little sun. My keyboard has two buttons like that; one with a plus sign, and one with a minus sign. I can use them to adjust the brightness up or down.