Menu

Amazon - what gets delivered and what doesn't?

Liz CA

Yes, we received dog food and some sort of computer part. 

Amazon was supposed to suspend acceptance of non-essential items from their suppliers until April 5 or so, to try to meet the demand for essential supplies.  They said they'd still ship any non-essential stuff still in their warehouses, (books, cds, toys, etc), but they were temporarily suspending receipt of any more of those items into warehouses.  The plan was to re-evaluate on April 5. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So far the only things we ordered that we didnt get is the toilet paper and tissues on our subscribe and save.

Everything is showing up about a day earlier than they are saying with the extended shipping times.

Things I've gotten include bird seed, computer components, a desk, a sink caddy, a tee shirt... definitely non-essential items. 

A friend of mine keeps saying "now that Amazon isnt delivering" but that has not been our experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I received a pair of noise cancelling headphones today.  I ordered them earlier this week.

amazon is limiting what comes into their warehouses from their party sellers because of the demand for cleaning supplies.  many third party sellers will ship to amazon, and have amazon handle their orders.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MissLemon said:

Yes, we received dog food and some sort of computer part. 

Amazon was supposed to suspend acceptance of non-essential items from their suppliers until April 5 or so, to try to meet the demand for essential supplies.  They said they'd still ship any non-essential stuff still in their warehouses, (books, cds, toys, etc), but they were temporarily suspending receipt of any more of those items into warehouses.  The plan was to re-evaluate on April 5. 

This was the case, but in the last several days they said they'd be prioritizing essential shipments even of things already in their warehouse. You can even see it when you go to add items to your cart, there's a statement. 

I can't figure out how they're categorizing things. Books, games, a trampoline, gymnastics mats? All still show regular shipping. But the one time I've found the disclaimer is on waxing strips. You can see it by where they tell you that it'll come in in 3 weeks (even though it's prime.)
https://www.amazon.com/Avashine-Underarm-Eyebrow-Brazilian-Contains/dp/B07YCSQQ2X/ref=sxin_0_ac_d_rm?ac_md=0-0-d2F4aW5n-ac_d_rm&cv_ct_cx=waxing&keywords=waxing&pd_rd_i=B07YCSQQ2X&pd_rd_r=e035e2e2-e81b-4273-a995-5f1fe3804090&pd_rd_w=3MfKq&pd_rd_wg=Ksvzg&pf_rd_p=96e196e3-02fe-420a-8e27-9285fc9434dd&pf_rd_r=ESPT5YBRXBV3J02PBGKH&psc=1&qid=1585373058&sr=1-1-12d4272d-8adb-4121-8624-135149aa9081

Edited by Sk8ermaiden
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, DesertBlossom said:

Just ordered some frisbees for my son who is teaching his puppy to catch them. They arrived quickly.

Rather funny. My dh ordered discs as well that came already. I ordered Vitamin D3 and my order was cancelled.

I ordered refills for my Pilot pens today - hopefully get them next week. I didn't see any shipping delay noted. We are also Prime but I do understand that does not mean much right now.

I've been getting most packages on time or earlier than expected. This week I've received pet supplies and a chess set. DS24 ordered GMAT study materials and they arrived a day earlier than expected. I am waiting on some coffee filters, and those seem to be taking a long time. I ordered them at the same time I did the pet supplies, but they're not supposed to get here until sometime next week. I keep a good supply, so it's no big deal.

• Like 1

I have received packages just fine. My Spirutein and a new book came two days earlier than expected. I just made another small order for smoke alarm batteries and freezer organising bins; there was no disclaimer and they’ll come in regular time. I’m not rushing any order, maybe that makes a difference? Everything I’ve ordered is definitely non essential (well, except the new Bill Bryson book of course 😉 ). 

• Like 1

All I know is it looks like by the time my peat pots arrive, I will have already planted all my seeds in other vessels I have lying around. <<<first world problem; it’s okay really. I’m just saying. The peat pots may not be called into use until next year. 

• Sad 1

I ordered my daughter a new iPad to help with online learning (hers is 9 years old).  The iPad came a day early (2 days), the case that was supposed to come the same day is now 3 days later, and the wireless keyboard and mouse are right in schedule (5 days).

I did have to order a case they had, not the one she wanted, as that one was 4+ weeks out and I wasn't going to risk an iPad with no case that long.  We will just order the other one later and be fine when ever it gets here 

• Like 1

Yes, DD ordered a guitar (lots of free time on her hands and she's been wanting to learn) and it arrived on Tuesday. Yesterday she ordered an interface to record from her fiddle to computer and it is due to arrive on Monday. Everything is arriving a day or two earlier than they anticipate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Everything I've looked at ordering this week had waaay extended delivery times, like late-April or into May. (One being a wifi booster to help with all these online meetings...)

I have seen a lot of similar delivery estimates, BUT shortly after I buy things I get a revised estimate that is sooner.  Several things that were being estimated ~April 21st are now supposedly being delivered next week.  I bought Gatorade that was estimated between May 12th and 21st, but now it is scheduled to be delivered by April 21st.

Also, delivery times seem to REALLY depend on what they currently have in the warehouse.  I wanted to buy some puzzle/activity books to put in my kids' Easter baskets.  Many has estimated deliveries in the middle of May, and while I guessed that many of those actually might arrive before Easter, I decided not to take that chance.  Instead, I specifically looked for ones that were offering delivery in the next couple weeks - and there were plenty available.  I have also been able to find a whisk, a clock, a swing, and birthday gifts for my oldest who is turning 11 tomorrow with quick delivery...I just had to choose from among the products that said they were available for quick shipment.

• Like 3

I've gotten everything I've ordered, in decent time.  Some things have taken longer than usual Prime -- even a week or two, but I'd expect that.  I even got my big bag of peanut m&m's.  (I'd forgotten them when I went on my final-- for now -- grocery store run.)   I've gotten things I haven't ordered too:  Yesterday I received a large box of charging outlets! I contacted Amazon and they told me just to keep them/donate them.

A few items that I haven't been able to get -- like toilet paper! -- show as taking about two months to get here, and the product looks iffy.  I assume they'd be coming from China, maybe?  I didn't order them.

• Haha 1

Looks like all my scheduled subscribe and save things are on schedule for this Friday (mostly dog food, dog toys, and all components of my Paula's Choice routine). However, my preferred dog poop bags are on backorder until April 13 even though they were to be delivered in my s&s order next week. Amazon probably sent me an email but I just haven't found it yet. I went and ordered them apart from my s&s order so hopefully they get here. And yes, it's a complete first world problem but I have 3 dogs and we don't use plastic grocery bags...I can find something locally of course, but these preferred bags have never ripped/split on me. 

Every thing else I have ordered (books mostly) has arrived on time.

• Like 1

I tried to order Waterpik replacement heads for my kid with a space maintainer, but they wouldn’t be shipped until almost May.  Instead I bought a new off-brand Waterpik, and it will be here next week.  It could have been here sooner, but I chose the $3 digital credit with slower shipping.

• Like 1

On Thursday I tried to order cooling neck towels and the delivery date was April 23.  Yesterday I decided to go ahead and order them and wait since I’m not able to get them locally since I’m not out shopping. I got a notice they have shipped and will be here Monday. 

I have a few other things I need but hadn’t ordered because I heard Amazon was overloaded and only shipping essentials. I wonder if so many people heard that and stopped ordering and now Amazon is back to shipping what they have. 

• Like 1

Today we received a pet playpen. I checked this morning (after reading this post) and it still said delivery would be Tuesday. Alexa usually notifies me if something will arrive and then again after it has arrived. I got no alerts. No knock. No doorbell. Nothing. I walked out to get the mail and there it sat. I'm not upset by it's arrival at all. It's much needed. But I am surprised that I received no alerts that it would arrive today.

Edited by stephanier.1765
  • Like 1

I ordered bread bags, a set of glass screen protectors and a blackhead extraction tool kit on the 25th. Initial arrival date was for today. When they didn’t arrive, I checked the order and it now says April 18. 

My son’s birthday is the 9th and wants an SSD for his computer. I’m wondering if we’ll be able to get it here in time.  

• Like 1

Went ahead and ordered shelf stable milk that had a delivery date at the end of April.  After checkout got a message with a mid April date.

Many things that have had a longer than 2 day date seem to show up before expected.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

My son’s birthday is the 9th and wants an SSD for his computer. I’m wondering if we’ll be able to get it here in time.  

I went looking for a VGA splitter on Amazon today.  Of the ~50 results that all fit my needs, there were 3 that showed delivery dates of 3/31, all the others were listed as 4/18.  It would have been easy, though, to miss the ones available for quick delivery because even once I filtered the search results down to only "Prime" options, the quick delivery items were still hidden in the middle of the results.  I has to search through 4 pages of items to find some that I could get relatively quickly.

Right now, I am not putting any stock in the mid-April to mid-May delivery estimates.  I ordered some Gatorade on Monday.  Originally the delivery estimate was 5/12 to 5/21.  This morning I mentioned on this thread the updated delivery estimate was 4/21.  A couple hours ago I got an email telling me it has been shipped and is not scheduled for delivery on 3/31.

• Like 3