Menu

Pray right now please

Melissa in Australia

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Junie said:

I'm so glad that your house is OK.  Is it still in danger, or has the fire passed?

The fire is still going and it's going to be very hot again today. As far as I can tell, the wind direction this morning is still towards town, but they expect it to change later.

2 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

We are still ok. Our house is still there . The fire has slowed down but today is going to be 41oC so it will pick up again.

we are going to see if they will let DH and I through the roadblock to get the other car and the chooks. 

Hope you can get through to the chookies.   Glad your house is still there for now.  Are you guys due for any of this rain we have here?  I sure hope so!

• Like 1

I am back in the town.  They let us through the roadblock. But wanted everyone out by 11am. I was out well before then. DH and ds were still hosing everything down. They are not back yet. We are not meant to get the rain. I only managed to get 6 chooks. They are silkies.

the road is now fully closed they will not let anyone back in. The fire is moving slowly along the coast and is heavily influenced by sea breezes. There is always a sea breeze in the afternoon.

it is now a matter of sitting and waiting to see what happens.

• Like 5
  • Sad 24

10 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I am back in the town.  They let us through the roadblock. But wanted everyone out by 11am. I was out well before then. DH and ds were still hosing everything down. They are not back yet. We are not meant to get the rain. I only managed to get 6 chooks. They are silkies.

the road is now fully closed they will not let anyone back in. The fire is moving slowly along the coast and is heavily influenced by sea breezes. There is always a sea breeze in the afternoon.

it is now a matter of sitting and waiting to see what happens.

I’m glad you got the silkies 

• Like 2

Yesterday when we evacuated I was in such a state that I didn’t realise I was driving with the hand break on until I smelt the breaks burning. I was in a long line of cars leaving  the area, most with boats. when we got to the town my brakes failed completely. It was a frightening few seconds of me pumping the brakes  to get them to work.

• Like 1
  • Sad 20

14 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

It looks like the wind has changed and the fire is heading north instead of into town?

It is funny how the fire is travelling into the wind. I have been told that coastal  fires behave very erratically.  Very very windy and hot here.

DH is still at the house with ds16, ds25 is going down to help, ds22 is working on that fire and said he might be able to let us know when the fire is getting very close.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Yesterday when we evacuated I was in such a state that I didn’t realise I was driving with the hand break on until I smelt the breaks burning. I was in a long line of cars leaving  the area, most with boats. when we got to the town my brakes failed completely. It was a frightening few seconds of me pumping the brakes  to get them to work.

Yikes!  I am glad you got your car stopped!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

It is funny how the fire is travelling into the wind. I have been told that coastal  fires behave very erratically.  Very very windy and hot here.

DH is still at the house with ds16, ds25 is going down to help, ds22 is working on that fire and said he might be able to let us know when the fire is getting very close.

They do weird things in our area too and we aren’t even coastal.  Speculation: Could be some Bernoulli effect like sailboats sailing almost into the wind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fire was at emergency level again today, but dropped back to a watch and act this evening. The watch and act area has increased in size. The fire is definitely coming, it is just waiting for it to arrive, maybe tomorrow , or the end of the week.  It moved in a northerly direction today which while it was moving away from our house. In reality means the front has increased in size a bit. The slower the fire moves the better.  There was a lot of aerial water booming today on it, including the big firebombing jet and multiple helicopters

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

The twins are coping amazingly well. They now think evacuation is better than camping. They get to go to grandmas and have lots of chocolate milk and unlimited time on an iPad. 

My dd got to stay with my sis when we evacuated and she has horses.  Literally if there was a whiff of smoke for years after she’d be packing her bags ready to go.

• Haha 6

17 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I have done this once or twice - usually when I am totally overwhelmed by something else. My brakes were always okay. Hope this is true for yours as well. Glad you were able to rescue some of the chickens. Praying for rain, wind to turn, anything to stop the fire.

• Like 1

I returned home this morning. We had some rain,  7 mm and there wasn’t much wind.  I packed some clothes and stuff in the car today so it is ready to just jump in and go. DH had already packed his car and they are facing out for a fast getaway. 

the fire ended up being a little further away than we were led to believe, it is about 8 km, but it traveled 8 km( round about) on Friday afternoon, so it is still too close. They were putting in bulldozer fire breaks on the western flank of the fire today and lots of water bombing. From Wednesday evening  through to Sunday we are expected to get very strong easterly winds. That will push the fire this direction.

the fire burned right to the sand at the beach. Amazingly no houses were lost, though one place lost some  holiday cabins and a shed.  The fire is within 1 km of the people my ds16 works for. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I returned home this morning. We had some rain,  7 mm and there wasn’t much wind.  I packed some clothes and stuff in the car today so it is ready to just jump in and go. DH had already packed his car and they are facing out for a fast getaway. 

the fire ended up being a little further away than we were led to believe, it is about 8 km, but it traveled 8 km( round about) on Friday afternoon, so it is still too close. They were putting in bulldozer fire breaks on the western flank of the fire today and lots of water bombing. From Wednesday evening  through to Sunday we are expected to get very strong easterly winds. That will push the fire this direction.

the fire burned right to the sand at the beach. Amazingly no houses were lost, though one place lost some  holiday cabins and a shed.  The fire is within 1 km of the people my ds16 works for. 

Glad that it’s good news for now.  Hope you can get some rest, the constant vigilance has to be so exhausting.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your continual prayers and good thoughts.

on Friday/ Saturday  the fire burned so hot that the seaweed on the beach burned. All the board walks along the Rocks and steps down to the beach burned. Even the pig face on the sand dunes burned. Lots of cabins , safari tents and infrastructure was lost at Cape Conran

my ds22 who was at the fire said everyone on the fire thought it would burn all the way to Marlo. The flames were 300 m high, the fire was burning hot enough to cause lightning.

many dry swamp areas are of fire ( peat fire)   And there is still lots of active fire in the bush, but it is keeping behind the bulldozer lines atm.

fortunately the weather is milder for the next few days. But it is still a very dynamic situation. Tomorrow there will be east winds.

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 2
  • Sad 13