Menu

What's with the ads?

Melissa in Australia

Pray right now please

18 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Thank you so much everyone for all the prayers and good wishes. I was in such a state yesterday afternoon when I posted.  I was shaking for at least 2 hours after I evacuated. I am feeling a lot calmer now.

i have decided I don’t do well in a fire emergency

I imagine that no one does well in a fire emergency, but if you've managed, based on this, to not only keep two challenging kids physically safe, but also emotionally safe, during such a challenging time, which you seem to be based on this, 

18 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

The twins are coping amazingly well. They now think evacuation is better than camping. They get to go to grandmas and have lots of chocolate milk and unlimited time on an iPad. 

Then I think you're handling this far better than 99% of people (me included!) could possibly do.

I hope your family is safe, and you get good news about your home soon. 

-- Still praying for you. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I returned home this morning. We had some rain,  7 mm and there wasn’t much wind.  I packed some clothes and stuff in the car today so it is ready to just jump in and go. DH had already packed his car and they are facing out for a fast getaway. 

the fire ended up being a little further away than we were led to believe, it is about 8 km, but it traveled 8 km( round about) on Friday afternoon, so it is still too close. They were putting in bulldozer fire breaks on the western flank of the fire today and lots of water bombing. From Wednesday evening  through to Sunday we are expected to get very strong easterly winds. That will push the fire this direction.

the fire burned right to the sand at the beach. Amazingly no houses were lost, though one place lost some  holiday cabins and a shed.  The fire is within 1 km of the people my ds16 works for. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I returned home this morning. We had some rain,  7 mm and there wasn’t much wind.  I packed some clothes and stuff in the car today so it is ready to just jump in and go. DH had already packed his car and they are facing out for a fast getaway. 

the fire ended up being a little further away than we were led to believe, it is about 8 km, but it traveled 8 km( round about) on Friday afternoon, so it is still too close. They were putting in bulldozer fire breaks on the western flank of the fire today and lots of water bombing. From Wednesday evening  through to Sunday we are expected to get very strong easterly winds. That will push the fire this direction.

the fire burned right to the sand at the beach. Amazingly no houses were lost, though one place lost some  holiday cabins and a shed.  The fire is within 1 km of the people my ds16 works for. 

Glad that it’s good news for now.  Hope you can get some rest, the constant vigilance has to be so exhausting.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Oh my goodness, you must be exhausted.

Hoping for continued good news, and that you can soon relax.

• Like 2

It's crazy that this is just going on and on unrelentingly. Continuing to hold you, Melissa, and your country in prayer. So sorry this is happening!

• Like 1

Oh my goodness. You must be exhausted; and yet it's hardly the circumstances for a good night's sleep, is it.  Holding you all in the light. 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your continual prayers and good thoughts.

on Friday/ Saturday  the fire burned so hot that the seaweed on the beach burned. All the board walks along the Rocks and steps down to the beach burned. Even the pig face on the sand dunes burned. Lots of cabins , safari tents and infrastructure was lost at Cape Conran

my ds22 who was at the fire said everyone on the fire thought it would burn all the way to Marlo. The flames were 300 m high, the fire was burning hot enough to cause lightning.

many dry swamp areas are of fire ( peat fire)   And there is still lots of active fire in the bush, but it is keeping behind the bulldozer lines atm.

fortunately the weather is milder for the next few days. But it is still a very dynamic situation. Tomorrow there will be east winds.

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 2
  • Sad 16

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

The flames were 300 m high, the fire was burning hot enough to cause lightning.

This is so hard to imagine. Oh, Melissa 😞 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Thank you everyone for your continual prayers and good thoughts.

on Friday/ Saturday  the fire burned so hot that the seaweed on the beach burned. All the board walks along the Rocks and steps down to the beach burned. Even the pig face on the sand dunes burned. Lots of cabins , safari tents and infrastructure was lost at Cape Conran

my ds22 who was at the fire said everyone on the fire thought it would burn all the way to Marlo. The flames were 300 m high, the fire was burning hot enough to cause lightning.

many dry swamp areas are of fire ( peat fire)   And there is still lots of active fire in the bush, but it is keeping behind the bulldozer lines atm.

fortunately the weather is milder for the next few days. But it is still a very dynamic situation. Tomorrow there will be east winds.

The fact that your DS and his fellow fireys were able to stop it is amazing.  I hope those bulldozer lines continue to hold.

• Like 2

Hope you're all doing okay Melissa, and have gotten some of this much needed rain! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We haven’t had any rain. The fire is just very slowly creeping, which is amazing as we have gale force winds today. They have a lot of resources on it (we hope), helicopters, bulldozers, firefighters, the Fiji army with rakehoes . There are lots of dry swampy heathlands that are within the fire area and are burning as well.

we are completely frustrated by the lack of information and have turned into crazy people checking wind speed, satellite maps, radar weather maps,  hotspots, tuning into scanners etc multiple times a day.  I think DH and I can recite what the wind is going to be doing every 2 hours until Tuesday next week.

All we really know is the fire ground is still burning and is slowly creeping. 

• Sad 24

On 2/8/2020 at 4:09 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

We haven’t had any rain. The fire is just very slowly creeping, which is amazing as we have gale force winds today. They have a lot of resources on it (we hope), helicopters, bulldozers, firefighters, the Fiji army with rakehoes . There are lots of dry swampy heathlands that are within the fire area and are burning as well.

we are completely frustrated by the lack of information and have turned into crazy people checking wind speed, satellite maps, radar weather maps,  hotspots, tuning into scanners etc multiple times a day.  I think DH and I can recite what the wind is going to be doing every 2 hours until Tuesday next week.

All we really know is the fire ground is still burning and is slowly creeping. 

Did you get rain this weekend?  Hoping you’re still ok.  

• Like 1

We got 8 ml rain. Not enough to put fires out. But apparently the fire behaviour is suppressed.

There are 4 peat fires in dry swampy heathland. So they have set up carbon monoxide monitors. It stinks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 9

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

We got 8 ml rain. Not enough to put fires out. But apparently the fire behaviour is suppressed.

There are 4 peat fires in dry swampy heathland. So they have set up carbon monoxide monitors. It stinks

Oh I was so hoping you’d get a good downpour 😫

• Thanks 1

One of our neighbours told dh they have put in  100metre bulldozed  firebreak. To try and stop the westerly spread of the https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwjG7ueN2MjnAhWJXCsKHYFRBJgQwqsBMAF6BAgKEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FDELWPGippsland%2Fvideos%2F227363048260974%2F&usg=AOvVaw1PR72z5JFBSSXk3kqY6k7D

if this link works it shows the devastation at Cape Conran. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

19 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

One of our neighbours told dh they have put in  100metre bulldozed  firebreak. To try and stop the westerly spread of the https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwjG7ueN2MjnAhWJXCsKHYFRBJgQwqsBMAF6BAgKEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FDELWPGippsland%2Fvideos%2F227363048260974%2F&usg=AOvVaw1PR72z5JFBSSXk3kqY6k7D

if this link works it shows the devastation at Cape Conran. 

Oh my word.  That is horrible.  My heart hurts for y’all and your area.   That is just heartbreaking.   

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Ahh disappointing

we had a bad seaweed dire once (not close to us) and the smoke was unbelievable.  I imagine peat would be worse

• Thanks 1