Menu

So what foods can you eat til you're sick?

MaBelle

My dil was in my yard, waiting to pick up ds,  inspecting my garden and I went out to chat.  We noticed a really weird bird/duck thing in the yard at the same time that one of my cats saw it.  Cat attacked, I chased it off and decided I wanted the bird thing.  I yelled to my son to run and get me some gloves and I attempted to detain the bird duck.  He moved left, I moved left.  He moved right, I moved right.  He backed up, I stood my ground.  He had enough and attacked me and flew off.  Son gets earful for not moving fast enough.

I gave it up and went in a googled "bird duck black orange bill weird feet" and came up with "coot"!!!  

What do you know?  It's a real bird.  

OK, FINE.   Read about the coot in my yard and then tell me about food.

I can eat tator tots until I fall over.  All beef hot dogs.  Grits.  Fried mushrooms from Sassy's Little Red House in Fayetteville Arkansas.  Clam chowder from Red Lobster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Chips...just about any flavor really. I love tortilla chips and salsa though and could definitely eat it until I’m sick if I allowed myself to do so. Pizza. I’m sure there are more, but these came to mind quickly. 😂

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

durian, @Arcadia for real? It’s banned on airplanes for a reason. 

My country of origin is just south of Malaysia. It’s banned in hotels and office buildings as well.

I grew up eating durian, durian cake, durian mooncake, durian sticky roll and other durian flavored treats. It’s an acquired taste. The Mao Shan Wang and D24 are sweeter varieties while I also like the whitish one which has bitter undertones. Durian is the king of fruits after all 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Sushi, especially unagi rolls.  This would have been pre-shellfish allergy though 😭

Prawn chips.  Also pre shellfish allergy.

DS14 enjoys unagi by itself or unagi don. We have many local Japanese and Korean supermarkets.

My husband and his sister’s twins “outgrew” shrimp allergy though my husband would take at most one or two steamed cooked shrimps each time I cook. My dad outgrew shrimp allergy and he credited my maternal grandma cooking shrimp often (repeated exposure to shrimp) for reducing his allergy (face rash) to nothing.

Potatoes in most any form.  Mashed, boiled, baked but not french fries.  I grew up in a meat and potatoes farmer's family so I've held on to my love for potatoes.  Ironic since my dh grew up in Japan so we are a rice family.

Marshmallow Creme. Dangerous . . . Try not to even buy it.

8 hours ago, Arcadia said:

My country of origin is just south of Malaysia. It’s banned in hotels and office buildings as well.

I grew up eating durian, durian cake, durian mooncake, durian sticky roll and other durian flavored treats. It’s an acquired taste. The Mao Shan Wang and D24 are sweeter varieties while I also like the whitish one which has bitter undertones. Durian is the king of fruits after all 😂

Yes I know it’s banned everywhere 😉 I remember seeing the signs and wondering if was that bad. T’was. 

9 hours ago, madteaparty said:

durian, @Arcadia for real? It’s banned on airplanes for a reason. DS the adventurous tried it when we were in Asia and I was ready holding the bag 😂

And you sweat it out for days!

There are durian boats in Malaysia and Singapore that go about 5 miles off shore to eat them without bothering people!  

Every time I go down an alley with rotting garbage smell, even in the US, I think, "Durian!"

4 hours ago, JanOH said:

Potatoes in most any form.  Mashed, boiled, baked but not french fries.  I grew up in a meat and potatoes farmer's family so I've held on to my love for potatoes.  Ironic since my dh grew up in Japan so we are a rice family.

Marshmallow Creme. Dangerous . . . Try not to even buy it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

Every time I go down an alley with rotting garbage smell, even in the US, I think, "Durian!"

Me too! The amount of durian I can "consume" before feeling sick is like 1 molecule, up my nose, from 100 feet away. I can't comprehend how anyone can even get close enough to one to eat it! 

• Haha 2

Off the top of my head:

Spicy shrimp tacos

Cheese enchiladas in mole

Gnocchi pesto

Kampachi and maguro otoro nigiri

Matzah ball soup

Pão de queijo

Chili cheese fries

Cherries

ETA: A baguette and some stinky cheese. I am partial to Delice de Bourgogne.

Edited by SeaConquest

Taters. They are sooooo good. In any form but I really love me some crunchy hash browns. With eggs. Which I also love.

I love McDonald's McMuffins. Any kind, especially sausage. With jelly preferably.

Chips and guac and salsa. I could eat a gallon of guac every day. Thankfully, avocadoes are a health food. Huzzah!

Chilli rellenos. The best I ever had were in the upper midwest.

My keto lemon-poppy seed cake is something I could eat all day.

Cheese and sausage. I love them all.

Roasted broccoli and brussels sprouts. When they reach that super crunchy, not burnt level of being done. Oh, yes.

Chocolate covered macadamia nuts. It is impossible to open a bag and not finish them all off. I have had to ban the big bags from coming into our home. The little cans with the pop-off lid are fine, however.

Iced tea with no sugar. I've had about a pitcher a day for over 20 years. Got me off the diet pop.

Edited by BeachGal
derpiness

Doughnuts! Sigh. I love a really good doughnut.....or five 😉 We have some really good local doughnut places around here and it's been a test to my willpower to avoid them. 

And roasted brussels sprouts. I can eat them like candy! 

Edited by tdbates78
  • Like 1

Anything sweet or salty.  And pizza.  

First things that come to mind are ice cream, cheez-its, and cereal.  But I'll eat just about any sweet or salty food until I'm sick.  

ETA - bread - just about any kind but my favorite is garlic.  And any baked pasta.  Yum.  Now I'm getting hungry...

Edited by Kassia

5 hours ago, tdbates78 said:

Doughnuts! Sigh. I love a really good doughnut.....or five 😉 We have some really good local doughnut places around here and it's been a test to my willpower to avoid them. 

And roasted brussels sprouts. I can eat them like candy! 

Oh I have a doughnut story. Years ago, we were going to visit dh's parents, and stopped at the doughnut shop on the way out of town. I stayed in the car, and he came out and handed me the little white bag. I looked in there and there were TWO doughnuts. I said, what you didn't get you any? He said, yeah I did.

He had gotten us One Apiece. I was so upset!!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Math teacher said:

I hate to admit this, but you all don't know me in real life. I can eat eagle brand milk straight from the can.

Like sweetened condensed milk? That stuff is yummmm! I love when I need it for a recipe and I can sneak a spoonful. 😛 (And it's good in coffee...)

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 5:17 PM, Seasider too said:

Keto lemon poppyseed cake? Y’know you don’t post something like that without a link to the recipe. I’ll wait for it. 😁

They are really good! The recipe is from I Breathe I'm Hungry but it's a slight variation.

MIX

• 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temp
  • 3 TBSP granulated sugar

MIX SOME MORE

• 3 large eggs, room temp ideally

THEN ADD THIS

• 3 TBSP lemon juice
  • 1 TBSP lemon zest
  • 2 TBSP poppy seeds
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 tsp arrowroot powder
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1-1/2 cup almond flour
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour

Pour into a buttered 8x8 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30" (do the toothpick test). After they've thoroughly cooled down, cool them down some more in the fridge, uncovered. After a few hours, cover them.

On 4/23/2019 at 8:05 PM, Math teacher said:

Oh I have a doughnut story. Years ago, we were going to visit dh's parents, and stopped at the doughnut shop on the way out of town. I stayed in the car, and he came out and handed me the little white bag. I looked in there and there were TWO doughnuts. I said, what you didn't get you any? He said, yeah I did.

He had gotten us One Apiece. I was so upset!!

1 who eats only 1 ???????

• Like 1

Tomatoes plucked from the vine, eaten like an apple with a salt shaker in hand.

Chips and salsa

That saltine and chocolate dessert (I think they call it saltine and chocolate bark.)  

Pasta Weezie from Carrabbas

I have certainly eaten the above until I'm so stuffed that I feel sick...multiple times.  😞

This thread is making me miserable.  I'm on a sort of diet where I'm not changing what I eat but am watching my calories like a hawk.  And now I wanna grab some chips and go to town....but must. resist!  I'd have to stop after one "serving" of 12 chips.  Blah!!

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Garga said:

This thread is making me miserable.  I'm on a sort of diet where I'm not changing what I eat but am watching my calories like a hawk.  And now I wanna grab some chips and go to town....but must. resist!  I'd have to stop after one "serving" of 12 chips.  Blah!!

I hear ya! Me too, and I could truly eat chips and salsa until forever. I’d love some guacamole too. 12 chips...hmph...that’s not even close to getting me started on salsa. 😩😂

• Like 1

Peanut M&M's 

Good guacamole  (someone else's idea, and I liked it :)) 

Homemade bread with real butter

Trader Joe's "Pinks and Whites" cookies -- supposedly a little bit (but probably not much) healthier version of those frosted animal cookies