Menu

UPDATE (happy joy) - Added pic - Where to find large dining tables? Also, Pottery Barn experience?

Ann.without.an.e

Update update update....

So, y’all will not believe what transpired today. We live about an hour from the pottery barn outlet. I had called Monday to inquire if they ever get this table. She said rarely but she put my name on a list. Today she called ... one came in and it’s the XL size, new in the box (she was perplexed by this). She held it for me ??.  They also had the matching bench there - not in the box and marked down. So the total for these two pieces would have been $3548 before tax and we got them both for $1279 before tax. They also had a special where we signed up the the credit card and put the purchase on it and get 25% back to spend. So I get a shopping spree ?❤️ 

So my new method is to post on the WTM because it seems like miracles happen when I do ? (remember my macbook experience?)

I really want this one in the largest size.  

https://www.potterybarn.com/products/benchwright-extending-dining-table-rustic-mahogany/?pkey=e|benchwright%2Bdining|144|best|0|1|48||5&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH

It is 108 inches but expands to 144 inches.  This would be perfect for my space and for the large gatherings we have at my home.  I love the look, the feel, the size, etc but the consumer reviews on Pottery Barn as a company are awful.  The table reviews on the Pottery Barn website are great. I am hesitant to buy from them now that I have read so many awful reviews.  I can't seem to find anything else with the concept of expanding that large.  

I have looked and looked and looked.  Surely Pottery Barn can't be the only store with this concept, right?  Also, if anyone has any positive experiences ordering furniture from PB, please share.

Thanks ❤️ 

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 18

11 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

My bedroom set is Pottery Barn, but that was about 15 years ago, lol.  No issues for us, but there's my dated review!

I noticed in many of the negative reviews these experiences are considered a new trend with PB.  Many reviewers stated they had always loved PB and in past years had good experiences.  They literally have a one star rating on many company review sites.

2 minutes ago, Selkie said:

It was about two years ago.

Did you order online and have it shipped to your home?  That is the only option, right?  It seems that people are having issues receiving their items....like 4,6,8 months later being told a new date?

Edited by Attolia
  • Thanks 1

No personal experience but I would take a close look at the reviews and see what the problems are: poor customer service, late delivery, poor quality... and then decide whether it is something that is important to you. People differ in what they consider a problem. E.g. if I order something for Christmas on Amazon now I don't really care whether it takes two or ten days to arrive. Also, sometimes poor reviews are mostly for a certain aspect.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Attolia said:

https://www.potterybarn.com/products/benchwright-extending-dining-table-rustic-mahogany/?pkey=e|benchwright%2Bdining|144|best|0|1|48||5&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH

It is 108 inches but expands to 144 inches.  This would be perfect for my space and for the large gatherings we have at my home.  I love the look, the feel, the size, etc but the consumer reviews on Pottery Barn as a company are awful.  The table reviews on the Pottery Barn website are great. I am hesitant to buy from them now that I have read so many awful reviews.  I can't seem to find anything else with the concept of expanding that large.  

I have looked and looked and looked.  Surely Pottery Barn can't be the only store with this concept, right?  Also, if anyone has any positive experiences ordering furniture from PB, please share.

Thanks ❤️ 

I would look for an Amish community or a place that sells Amish made furniture. They had tons of options of things that could be made to that size.  We had to order and wait about 6 months for it to be made but was totally worth the wait.  And my table and chairs are so strong that I know they will hold up to the kids daily antics.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

No personal experience but I would take a close look at the reviews and see what the problems are: poor customer service, late delivery, poor quality... and then decide whether it is something that is important to you. People differ in what they consider a problem. E.g. if I order something for Christmas on Amazon now I don't really care whether it takes two or ten days to arrive. Also, sometimes poor reviews are mostly for a certain aspect.

I have scoured reviews. Some say that quality has decreased but most seem to be having the same issue with shipping.  They are placing an order and waiting months and months with no item and no real response from PB.  They won't refund them, they just tell them a new date.  It sounds like some people are waiting 6 to 8 months or longer for something that was supposed to ship in a few weeks.  And they are spending so much time with unhelpful customer service.  I have no idea if they are eventually receiving their items or not.

Edited by Attolia

28 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Do you have a Pottery Barn local to you or even semi local?  Maybe you could order through them and tell the manager you are hesitant due to concerns about shipping dates being delayed. 

We do have one not too far away.  I noticed that we cannot ship to store though.  It is a good idea to talk to them though and see if they have thoughts on the issues.

• Like 1

Just now, Attolia said:

We do have one not too far away.  I noticed that we cannot ship to store though.  It is a good idea to talk to them though and see if they have thoughts on the issues.

When I worked in retail (admittedly well over 10 years ago) a lot of times the website wasn’t actually owned by the retail store, they leased their name. I’m not sure it that is as common now but dealing with an actual person can be helpful as then you have a contact instead of a random person at a call center. 

• Like 1

There was a huge shift three or four years ago, I think.

We bought a leather couch and two chairs two years ago. We bought them at a PB outlet. One of the chairs had a mold problem that they told me was just “dust on the back” that they wanted to clean up before selling to me. No returns to an outlet, so awesome discovery for me when the “dust” grew back.

We had purchased directly from an outlet because of the shipping issue.

Fwiw, PB is one of a family o sister companies. The sister companies don’t seem to have issues to the same degree.

• Like 1

If you don't mind the price and a wait, I agree Amish is the way to go. Our kitchen table has up to four leaves and gets super huge. I believe we were able to note how big we wanted the base table and how big we wanted it to expand to. We also have an expandable bench on the kid side of the table. 

• Like 3

DH has been talking about maybe just building it himself and he is great with things like that.  I actually found plans for the very table online.  Maybe I will just let him, haha.  This plan is for the smaller one, we'd have to alter it for a larger one.

http://www.ana-white.com/2011/07/plans/benchright-farmhouse-table

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another happy Amish furniture customer. I got a solid cherry custom table that I can get 14 around (it’s tight), and I paid less than much of the lesser quality stuff. I got it 48” wide (rectangular shape) and didn’t have to pay any extra. The table was pretty inexpensive, but I got 12 chairs and those added up, lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Attolia said:

DH has been talking about maybe just building it himself and he is great with things like that.  I actually found plans for the very table online.  Maybe I will just let him, haha.  This plan is for the smaller one, we'd have to alter it for a larger one.

FWIW, my DH and I just built a table this summer from Ana white plans and it turned out beautiful and exactly how I wanted! (Ours doesn’t have leaves or extensions though)

• Like 1

We got ours online from a no-name company.  (It seats 12.)  It was about 25% the cost of the ones we were seeing in stores.  It's a gorgeous table, and very solid.  It did have high reviews.  It was shipped, and we had to put the legs on ourselves.  We've probably had it for 15 years now.  Sorry I don't remember the name of the company.  Mostly I wanted to say, don't rule out online companies you've never heard of before!  Just be sure and read the reviews and warranties.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Attolia said:

LET HIM. The farmhouse style is easy to build and you’ll save a thousand dollars or more. Ana White plans are my current obsession and I built utility shelves in my shed all by myself with them.  I’ve got her workbench and outdoor sofa in queue. 

I leave the leaf in my dining room table all the time. If we have a lot of people, I bring in a long portable table and match the tablecloths. This way I have the flexibility to do two tables, a long rectangle, or a big square. I like the options. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, JennyD said:

A friend of mine very recently purchased a very large dining room table from IKEA.  Not sure what model she got, but it seats 14 easily and looks very nice.

I have an Ikea chair that’s 20 years old, gets used every day, and looks brand new. I don’t know why Ikea gets a bad wrap. It is very modern looking. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Attolia said:

I have scoured reviews. Some say that quality has decreased but most seem to be having the same issue with shipping.  They are placing an order and waiting months and months with no item and no real response from PB.  They won't refund them, they just tell them a new date.  It sounds like some people are waiting 6 to 8 months or longer for something that was supposed to ship in a few weeks.  And they are spending so much time with unhelpful customer service.  I have no idea if they are eventually receiving their items or not.

I don’t understand that. If someone asks for a refund due to not receiving the item when promised and the retailer won’t do it, you just call the credit card company and  dispute the charge. The retailer will have to prove to the credit card company that they met the terms of the sale in order to get their money from the credit card company. This is one of the reasons I purchase with credit cards. 

About five years ago I bought a new mattress for my parents and had to do this because delivery kept being postponed. The mattress magically appeared two days after I registered the dispute with the credit card company. 

• Like 1

I own both of the IKEA tables that will stretch to seat 10-12 comfortably (120”?). The Stornas table is really poor quality. The stain began lifting from the first time we wiped it with a cloth. It is also prone to dents. It looks trashed and we have only been using it sinceFebruary. I would buy it only if I could get a glass top for it.

The Bjursta table, by contrast, has held up to a long list of drops, spills, and daily kid messes and shows no damage at all. Even glitter glue scraped off just fine. We use it as our school table. Unfortunately, they discontinued the table last year. ?

When the Stornas table is completely destroyed, we will bring the Bjursta in and do something different in the school room. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Attolia said:

Did you order online and have it shipped to your home?  That is the only option, right?  It seems that people are having issues receiving their items....like 4,6,8 months later being told a new date?

It was shipped but I don't remember it being delayed. We live way out in the back of beyond, so we're used to waiting a month or two until a truck comes out our way. It didn't take any longer than we were originally told, though. Maybe the shipping problems started after that.

• Like 1

You might try an antique store.  That’s where I got my Big Honking Table with the three 15 inch leaves.  It’s solid walnut and immensely versatile.  It is oval with two drop leaves in addition to the center leaves.  It has little porcelain wheels on it and is pretty easy to move around, but opens up pretty large.  I have seen bigger ones as well.  My mom has a round one that seats I think 16 people when all the leaves are in.  I discourage purchase of round tables though unless you don’t like tablecloths.  They make it obvious if a tablecloth is slightly not round, and even if the tablecloths are perfect, it’s hard to get them exactly even.  Oval or rectangular are much easier to decorate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Pier One is where I got mine. They have large, sturdy, extending dining tables up to 108" and beyond with good reviews AND decent customer service.

40 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I own both of the IKEA tables that will stretch to seat 10-12 comfortably (120”?). The Stornas table is really poor quality. The stain began lifting from the first time we wiped it with a cloth. It is also prone to dents. It looks trashed and we have only been using it sinceFebruary. I would buy it only if I could get a glass top for it.

The Bjursta table, by contrast, has held up to a long list of drops, spills, and daily kid messes and shows no damage at all. Even glitter glue scraped off just fine. We use it as our school table. Unfortunately, they discontinued the table last year. ?

When the Stornas table is completely destroyed, we will bring the Bjursta in and do something different in the school room. 

DH really wants 144 inches or larger.  That is what makes it hard.  Havertys has one that looks exactly like the PB one for a fraction of the cost but it only extends to 126 inches and DH wants 144-150.  

• Like 1

We found ours on craigslist. It is solid wood and came with eight LARGE chairs and seats ten very easily and 12 comfortably.We paid $900. Lots of people don't have room or need for a huge dining table, so my experience was that there were quite a few available.  We've thought about getting one of the Amish ones that can extend even further than ours does, but they're expensive.  My dh is thinking about buying the track for ours that can make it extend and then we'd have to buy or make extra leaves as well. It's not terribly important to me. When the weather's nice, we just eat outdoors where we can seat dozens of extras. When we need to seat more than 12 indoors, we bring up a folding table from the basement. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 9:20 AM, Mama Geek said:

If you are anywhere near the furniture outlets in North Carolina that is where we found many years ago.  We were several hours away and made a weekend of it and found a large dinning room set and a few other pieces as well.

Hickory or High Point?  Which places do you suggest?  I have heard that many of them are out of business now but I haven't checked for myself.

If you are game, our Habitat for Humanity Restore always has a bunch.

I'm gradually replacing some things in our rental house with my landlord's approval, and there isn't a time that I'm there that there isn't at least one really nice dining table set.

• Like 1

I'm another person who says to find an Amish furniture store. Ours expands and stores unused leaves under the tabletop. We eat all of our meals on our dining room table plus use it for lots of other things and it's held up really well. I have 5 kids and have a table that seats 10, but if I had a bigger room I would have gotten a bigger one. Now that our olders are married/engaged, it's not big enough!

• Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 7:29 AM, Attolia said:

Update update update....

So, y’all will not believe what transpired today. We live about an hour from the pottery barn outlet. I had called Monday to inquire if they ever get this table. She said rarely but she put my name on a list. Today she called ... one came in and it’s the XL size, new in the box (she was perplexed by this). She held it for me ??.  They also had the matching bench there - not in the box and marked down. So the total for these two pieces would have been $3548 before tax and we got them both for $1279 before tax. They also had a special where we signed up the the credit card and put the purchase on it and get 25% back to spend. So I get a shopping spree ?❤️ 

So my new method is to post on the WTM because it seems like miracles happen when I do ? (remember my macbook experience?)

Thanks ❤️ 

That's wonderful! Congrats!

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 4:15 PM, mominco said:

YAY!Congrats,Don't forget to upload a picture ?

The color they magically got in was Sea Drift.  I hesitated for just a second because I originally wanted the darker color but I love the lighter color.  I ordered chairs that will coordinate better than my old dining chairs but they will not come in until next week.  I love the bench ❤️. I thought about putting my name on the list for another one just in case one comes in.  We have a plan to refinish the floors in the near future with a color that matches the mantel. I think the contrast will look pretty.

fullsizeoutput_13fa.jpeg

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 5