Menu

Curious - summer camp dress codes?

SKL

There's a hot discussion going on in another forum (not WTM) about a new dress code announced for a camp that starts next Monday.  I think the main point of contention is that shorts have to be at least as long as your fingers when you hold your hands at your sides.  The common school dress code rule.  Since many of our kids don't wear shorts to school, this is requiring many parents to go buy new shorts just for this one purpose.  (I personally already bought my kids a pile of summer shorts, and assume the same is true of many/most parents.)

The organizers argue that this is a typical dress code for summer camps.  They say they need it because last year they could see some girls' butt cheeks (quote).

So I was curious - do you see this kind of dress code for summer camps?  My kids go to many camps, and the usual dress advice is to "dress comfortably" with added suggestions if they are going to get wet or whatever.  I can't think of any that sound like school rules - even at the camps located in actual schools.  ?

Personally I prefer longer shorts so that's what I buy for my kids anyway.  And I think people would be less annoyed if this requirement had been stated more than a week before camp started.  (They had decided this months ago and could have included it in earlier camp notices.)  But I wondered - how would you react?  Who's being reasonable - the dress code writers or the complainers?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Our summer camp doesn't have that specific a dress code.  But I have seen some very short shorts that actually do show butt cheeks.  I think that would be considered to be inappropriate. 

It seems that if the goal is to avoid showing the butt cheeks than an appropriate rule would be “shorts that cover your butt cheeks”.  

There are plenty of styles that cover appropriately and aren’t past  the fingertips.

My school’s rule for out of uniform times (summer school, dances, dress down days) seems to be “at least as long as your school gym shorts.  

The other issue is that it’s ridiculous to add a rule that costs parents money at this point.  I can see how sometimes something might come up at the last minute that is unanticipated and requires a change of policy, but children wearing shorts to camp is not a surprise.  If they want a rule about shorts the time to announce one would be when the dates for the following year are announced.

• Like 9

Just now, regentrude said:

The camp my kids attended didn't have such a dress code.

I consider this especially ridiculous since most summer camps involve swimming, and kids will be wearing swim wear. Surely, they are not mandating that girls must wear long swim shorts?

I was thinking similar.  They don't swim at the camp, but many families stay at a hotel booked for camp families, and they swim there.  There is also a swim party on the following Saturday.  I know they are not extending the rule to swim clothes.  Further, they have a show at the end of camp that involves costumes, which may or may not meet the requirements of the dress code.  Some people brought that up. 

Not really sure how to say "no butt cheeks," as that seems rather obvious - I mean we don't say "no crotch showing" etc. - but it seems long shorts are not the right answer, LOL.

I know it can be hard to find long shorts for some kids ... my eldest is so slim that I have to buy really long shorts just to meet my own summer modesty requirements.  I shop online and it takes some time to find a decent but fun summer wardrobe.  And then half of the clothes end up being the wrong size.  Folks seeing this rule today don't have time to play around with online shopping.

48 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

I just looked up the rules for our Scout camp, and it only addresses inappropriate slogans on t-shirts (and a long section on pocketknives). Of course, it's a BSA camp, so more focused on boys. I wonder if they'll have to address this next summer when girls join BSA. Most boys are not interested in wearing short shorts! I just looked at several other camps and it's not listed with the exception of a camp I used to work at. They state no short shorts for either sex. 

I'm becoming convinced part of the problem with shorts for girls is the difficulty in finding shorts that are long enough for them!

Last year, I bought a lot of shorts for my daughter in the boys department because they were long enough. We used T-shirts for the "Cute".  I'm not fond of the majority of Girls' shorts I see and she's only a size 6! I can't imagine it gets better as they get older.

As an adult, I have chosen not to wear shorts at all.

And it is difficult to find acceptable swim wear, for either of us (And I'd really rather even then the swim shorts be longer. But I do what I can with what is available)

• Like 1

DD is doing one next week that requires navy or khaki shorts that are no shorter than 2” above the knee or capris, plus a camp shirt. Swim suits have to be one piece (with restrictions on straps), or a rash guard and swim shorts. Males have restrictions on swim trunks and need to wear a swim shirt/rash guard. It makes sense, though-it’s a camp where the kids will be shadowing employees and learning about job roles in an animal park, so they essentially are being treated as the employees are. They also have to have appropriate footwear both for water and non-water activities. 

This was also available ro parents even before camp sign up, so no one was broadsided by it. 

• Like 1

The couple camps my kids are attending do not mention shorts lengths only that girls should wear one pieces for swimming at one of the camps. That camp actually doesn’t mind tanquini type suits but had people trying to push the limits and decided it was easier to require one pieces. They are pretty good about announcing dress codes as part of the sign up so parents can be aware.

It is incredibly difficult to find shorts that are a decent length for girls! My daughter is only 8 and every summer we struggle to find shorts with more than a 2”-3” inseam. A couple of years I have bought skirts or dresses instead. 

• Like 1

I HATE the fingertip rule.  Mostly because it's so individual. My school had a thumb-length hemline for cheer uniforms in school  I have very broad shoulders, an hourglass shape (when I'm not fat) and long legs.  This means my thumbs are shorter than my crotch.  Some of the other girls had narrow shoulders and long arms, which meant their thumbs were only inches above their knees.   I really think rules like that should be changed to be a certain number of inches over the knees, or a certain percentage of the thigh, because that is achievable by everyone, even if you have to alter pants into shorts in order to get the right length for you.

I've also found sometimes we have to shop in boys departments to find appropriate short lengths.

• Like 5

My daughter's camps both require one piece swimsuits and closed toe shoes. Both specify no short-shorts, bare midriffs or other skimpy tops. Also, no shorts with words on the butt or inappropriate logos or words on them. Normal athletic wear for hot days outside is fine.

eta: I agree with Katy about the fingertip rule. Dh and I have very long arms and so do our kids. Dd is dressed appropriately in shorts shorter than her fingertips. 

• Like 1

The camp my kids attend specifies  fingertip-length shorts. Also: no midriffs or sleeveless shirts. But it's had these guidelines for years (and it's a church camp so...no surprise). My kids wear longer mesh shorts or jean bermudas, so we are fine, wardrobe wise. (FWIW, Academy Sports has mid-length mesh shorts --with pockets!-- for like $8.)

I'd be miffed if I wasn't made aware of a dress code until a week before the camp. 

• Like 1

One person said, why not just have a whole required uniform.  ?

The camp bought some long black unisex basketball shorts for people who show up without long enough shorts.

They did say they are taking the comments into consideration now.  I think they were moved by the concern that people are expected to scramble at the last minute.

1 minute ago, SKL said:

One person said, why not just have a whole required uniform.  ?

The camp bought some long black unisex basketball shorts for people who show up without long enough shorts.

They did say they are taking the comments into consideration now.  I think they were moved by the concern that people are expected to scramble at the last minute.

They should probably just not allow anyone who does not already have the appropriate amount of short s in the required length already.

because what kind of people are they that they'd let their kids go out in public with their butt cheeks hanging out? Don't they have butt cheek inspectors in their homes!?!

Yeah, I know it's weird - I guess butt cheek showing is one of those "you know it when you see it" things, LOL, (though apparently some don't?), but they don't want to come right out and say "look, I don't wanna see anybody's butt cheeks this year."  They don't want to be in a position of having to judge on a case-by-case basis either.

So glad nobody asked me to be the butt cheek police.

But honestly, I think this is one of those things where you hope people would act decent without being told - and most do - and if a couple butt cheeks still peek out, oh well.  I doubt anyone showed them on purpose.

I haven't seen rules like that for camps around here.  I also think it's a stupid rule because I've seen girls with pretty short shorts that aren't longer than their fingertips because their arms are short, or their legs are particularly long.  

I also would hate one piece swimsuit rules.  Tankini styles are often way more modest than regular one pieces if that's their issue.  But I also hate modesty rules in general.

• Like 1

I heard that the one piece rule for bathing suits is because that way they are sure to stay on ... not be "accidentally" or purposely removed - by the elements or by boys ... not that that ever happens ... I assume it is based on experience.  I can see the practical side of that, even though I personally prefer modest 2-pieces.  I would, however, expect to be informed in advance of swimsuit buying season.

I’ve actually seen a trend of teens and young 20 something’s wearing shorts with their butt cheeks showing, especially if they are wearing short rompers. I suspect when the girls are standing still the shorts are fine, but when walking, things shift around. In fact I saw a couple girls dressed like this yesterday. I assume no girls are purposely walking around with their cheeks hanging out. 

49 minutes ago, SKL said:

Yeah, I know it's weird - I guess butt cheek showing is one of those "you know it when you see it" things, LOL, (though apparently some don't?), but they don't want to come right out and say "look, I don't wanna see anybody's butt cheeks this year."  They don't want to be in a position of having to judge on a case-by-case basis either.

So glad nobody asked me to be the butt cheek police.

But honestly, I think this is one of those things where you hope people would act decent without being told - and most do - and if a couple butt cheeks still peek out, oh well.  I doubt anyone showed them on purpose.

Cheek by cheek basis

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I think it would be better to have a rule that the inseam of shorts should be 2 inches (maybe 3?) or longer. That would cover the whole butt cheeks thing and avoid the different arm-lengths thing. 

I've definitely seen shorts that have pretty much no inseam... they are definitely designed to have cheeks hanging out.

I do agree that giving out dress code info one week beforehand is not good form.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, unsinkable said:

Ah-ha! But what if they didn't suceed!?

Hmmmm...hmmmm?

I don't understand your question. What if they didn't succeed in regulating women's clothes? Great! I don't think women's autonomous fashion choices should be regulated. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

I’ve actually seen a trend of teens and young 20 something’s wearing shorts with their butt cheeks showing, especially if they are wearing short rompers. I suspect when the girls are standing still the shorts are fine, but when walking, things shift around. In fact I saw a couple girls dressed like this yesterday. I assume no girls are purposely walking around with their cheeks hanging out. 

MY daughter says it's a thing on her college campus. And it's not just loose fitting stuff. It's like demin shorts, cut to come up above the cheek almost like a thong. She thinks it must be horrendously uncomfortable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lovelearnandlive said:

I think it would be better to have a rule that the inseam of shorts should be 2 inches (maybe 3?) or longer. That would cover the whole butt cheeks thing and avoid the different arm-lengths thing. 

I've definitely seen shorts that have pretty much no inseam... they are definitely designed to have cheeks hanging out.

I do agree that giving out dress code info one week beforehand is not good form.

I think this is a much better idea as long as no camp counselor is actually attempting to measure the inseam. 

I really think most of the time people who are writing the rules are trying to communicate no short shorts (or whatever) but don’t know a way to succinctly express that so they come up with fingertip length or 2” above the knee or whatever.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

No dress codes like that that I've seen, and I wouldn't send my boys to one that tried to regulate women's dress. 

Well they are trying to be "gender neutral" by making the same rule for boys and girls.  But in practice, most boys' shorts are longer anyway.

I went to a summer camp where we had a uniform.... corduroy knickers, short sleeve oxford shirts, knee highs.  I'd have welcomed finger tip length shorts.

My kids have been to quite a few camps that specify one piece swimsuits for girls or no speedos for boys.  I don't have a problem with the fingertip length short thing.... but then again....being Muslim, we're probably more modest than most.   We usually buy bermuda length shorts or capris for my daughter (and bermuda length for my sons). 

• Like 2

The kids are going to church camp for the first time and the rules are - no spaghetti straps, shorts- mid-thigh length, one-piece swimsuits or no more than 3 inches of belly showing if a tankini. No vulgar or profane sayings. We just went through dd1's shorts the other day to see what we think might work, I think I still need to get her a couple. I wish they had an inseam rule, that is very concrete. Curious to me the sample picture has a girl with shorts to her knees, well mid-thigh is not knee length. I'm anxious for her to get there and see what the expectations are, I'm erring on the side of caution this year because I don't want her in trouble, it is hard to say how strictly rules will be implemented. I'm hoping I can find her some shorts at Goodwill, either that or some cheap ones from Wal-Mart. She has a couple of swimsuits that should work and mostly wears t-shirts anyway so I'm not worried about tops.

10 hours ago, SKL said:

Well they are trying to be "gender neutral" by making the same rule for boys and girls.  But in practice, most boys' shorts are longer anyway.

How does that fly with swimsuits?  Either boys wear one piece and they're bare chested or they wear a two piece. Does that work for girls?  Do they have issues with the spaghetti straps on girls swimsuits?

FWIW, I prefer the prefer the practicality of the tankini, especially for kids and bathroom trips.  For a camp to regulate so strictly with faux modesty rules and not true religious "let the children come to me" rules I'd have a fit.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Katy said:

I HATE the fingertip rule.  Mostly because it's so individual. My school had a thumb-length hemline for cheer uniforms in school  I have very broad shoulders, an hourglass shape (when I'm not fat) and long legs.  This means my thumbs are shorter than my crotch.  Some of the other girls had narrow shoulders and long arms, which meant their thumbs were only inches above their knees.   I really think rules like that should be changed to be a certain number of inches over the knees, or a certain percentage of the thigh, because that is achievable by everyone, even if you have to alter pants into shorts in order to get the right length for you.

I've also found sometimes we have to shop in boys departments to find appropriate short lengths.

This ^^ I'm long waisted and have short arms. If I used the fingertip rule even as a child, I wouldn't have been covering my butt. It's an antiquated way to enforce a dress code, imo. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, SKL said:

I think the main point of contention is that shorts have to be at least as long as your fingers when you hold your hands at your sides.  The common school dress code rule.  Since many of our kids don't wear shorts to school, this is requiring many parents to go buy new shorts just for this one purpose.  (I personally already bought my kids a pile of summer shorts, and assume the same is true of many/most parents.)

I haven't read all the posts yet, but it seems that people just want the dress code to say something nebulous like "no short shorts" or "no butt cheeks".  If you say something without specifics, people will start to move the line ... this isn't short! and you think it is too short. If you state the standard "shorts as long as your fingers when you hold your hands at your sides" - it is easy to check without *anyone* else touching the child (which you would need if you said inseam needs to be 3"). It is easy to check. It is visible. It is easy to see if the standard is met or not.

As for homeschoolers not having their kids wear shorts to school so they may not have any, I doubt most camp organizers/managers would think about that when they were trying to make a rule to make sure there were no super short shorts. The rule works for schools, so the rule should work for camps. Done. Moving on to the next agenda item. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bambam said:

As for homeschoolers not having their kids wear shorts to school so they may not have any, I doubt most camp organizers/managers would think about that when they were trying to make a rule to make sure there were no super short shorts. The rule works for schools, so the rule should work for camps. Done. Moving on to the next agenda item. 

I'm not a homeschooler.  My kids do not wear shorts to school.  I do not buy shorts for school.  I can't be the only person in the region whose kids don't have school uniform shorts.

2 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

How does that fly with swimsuits?  Either boys wear one piece and they're bare chested or they wear a two piece. Does that work for girls?  Do they have issues with the spaghetti straps on girls swimsuits?

FWIW, I prefer the prefer the practicality of the tankini, especially for kids and bathroom trips.  For a camp to regulate so strictly with faux modesty rules and not true religious "let the children come to me" rules I'd have a fit.

They don't have swimming at this camp location.  And it's a good thing.  I can just imagine what that dress code would look like.  ?

On 6/12/2018 at 12:07 PM, Margaret in CO said:

I just looked up the rules for our Scout camp, and it only addresses inappropriate slogans on t-shirts (and a long section on pocketknives). Of course, it's a BSA camp, so more focused on boys. I wonder if they'll have to address this next summer when girls join BSA. Most boys are not interested in wearing short shorts! I just looked at several other camps and it's not listed with the exception of a camp I used to work at. They state no short shorts for either sex. 

I don't think it is really a matter of boys being not interested in wearing short shorts so much as that short shorts are not marketed to boys.

The fashion industry is a HUGE purveyor of the objectification of women and girls. Girls aren't going around in butt cheek shorts because they came up with the idea all on their own.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I don’t understand why they don’t just stipulate the length of shorts. I see a lot of them advertised as 4 inch, 6 inch, etc.  it’s easy to measure the inseam of shorts while you’re going through your kids’ clothes or while out shopping. Done. Stop all this ambiguous fingertip nonsense. 

• Like 1

I just signed ds up for camp and there was no dress code.

However, I also just tried to take dd13 to buy shorts, and I had a lot of trouble finding anything.  What was long enough was not acceptable to her in terms of fashion.  I compromised on the middle range shorts (which were still pretty short) but there were less fabrics available.  I the end we didn't get anything and have to try again.  Who'd have thought that in amongst a gazillion choices none would work.

The very short shorts seem to be back in again anyway, so I am not surprised, I've seen a few girls walking past where I could see butt cheeks (I am on the walking route for a high and jr high school.)  

I wouldn't tend to think they were great choices for camp, apart from whether they are inappropriate not very practical for physical activity or the woods.  The fingertip length is a bit arbitrary but I think it has the advantage of clarity, I'm sure they don't want to be arguing individual cases if they can avoid it.

• Like 1

Our rules for both camps for dd & ds are:

Knee length shorts for all,

modest-cut one piece swimsuits for girls (no monokini, no super high cut legs or super low cut tops,) swim shorts & rash guard for boys,

covered shoulders (no tanks, muscle ts with giant armholes, halter, "cold shoulder")

no rude/ inappropriate words on tops or bottoms,

no bellies showing,

no ripped or shredded jeans,

no underwear showing (visible bra straps, sagging or extremely low rise pants that show underwear) 

closed toe shoes at all times even in the water, but flip-flops in the shower

For girls only yoga pants & leggings are allowed but top must cover crotch when standing.  Particularly, no see-through yoga pants/ leggings while rock climbing or rappelling.  I totally get this one because most of the girls don't wear undies with their yoga pants/ leggings (panty lines) and if I am belaying I do not want to spend my day staring at sweaty lady-parts.  Talk about TMI.  There are plenty of thicker athletic leggings or yoga pants that will not show all, you do not need to be climbing up the granite rock face in sheer light colored leggings.  

Unisex t-shirts & mesh basketball shorts will be provided for those who show up inappropriately dressed.

None of this was a surprise and are the usual standards for church (LDS) activities as well as in our home, except I don't allow leggings to be worn as pants ever.  Tops covering leggings have to be pretty close to the top of your knee.

Amber in SJ

• Like 4

On 6/12/2018 at 7:46 PM, fairfarmhand said:

MY daughter says it's a thing on her college campus. And it's not just loose fitting stuff. It's like demin shorts, cut to come up above the cheek almost like a thong. She thinks it must be horrendously uncomfortable. 

A couple years ago the think on campus here was to have the pockets of the cut offs hanging out from under the hem.  Totally aside from the cheeks - and that has to be on purpose when you are talking about thong-like shorts - it is such a bizarre fashion thing. It looks dumb to have the pocket lining hanging out.

• Like 3

With the fingertip length vs inseam - I've heard people complain when they specify an inseam, so I suspect that approach is also not satisfactory to many people.

It's tricky to communicate this stuff when the fashions seem to be directly working against functional clothes for girls that don't have a sexual agenda at the design level.

• Like 2

I have seen those dreaded butt cheek shorts - they are a thing.  It's hard to see how it's unintentional - it's a design feature.  However making a rule about it is a pretty sure way to make someone try to figure out how to test the rule out.  And one weeks notice is definitely not enough for any dress code.

I think I'd be inclined to stick with a statement like - the camp involves outdoor activities.  Please ensure clothing is adequate to ensure comfort and safety in outdoor environments.  No one wants to be sitting on a rock or log or something with bare butt cheeks.  

I'd be super annoyed about a one piece rule.  Both dd and her friend have had a couple of swimsuits now where they aren't cut right and the tops slip right down when they are swimming.  I really like board shorts and rash vests for outdoor swimming and I don't want to have to spend money on a swimsuit just for a week of camp.

Other than "must wear closed toe shoes" I don't remember any of ds' summer camps having a dress code. 

ETA: Since I only had to worry about what my boy wore I didn't pay much attention to any differences between the dress code for girls and boys. I think I remember one requiring girls who chose to wear a dress to also wear shorts or some type of bloomers underneath. That was VBS. 

• Like 2

Any outdoor camping around here comes with a real risk of tick exposure.  It is in everyone's best interest to expose as little skin as possible.  Dh & ds give each other a tick check before bed on backpacking trips.  I can't imagine having to check butt cheeks for ticks.

Because my kids not only go to camp every year, but also spend a week camping at the beach and go to the beach at least once a week during the Summer they all have several swimsuits for the season.  My kids also prefer swim shorts with rash guards, but I make sure that one of the girls' swimsuits meets the "modest one piece" camp rules.  We usually find them labeled as competition suits.  Other than the mountain lake for camp, most of their swimming/ surfing is done in the Pacific Ocean, so they can be found in a shortie wet suit much of the time.

Amber in SJ