Menu

Curious - summer camp dress codes?

SKL

1 hour ago, TN Mama said:

The swim suit rule alone would keep my daughter from being able to attend this camp. Not every body type can fit in one piece suits. I'm kind of annoyed by most dress code restrictions anyway as my daughter is long and lean. She can wear 5" inseam shorts to work, but those would not fit the fingertip rule so many have adopted.

Note the “or a rash guard and swim shorts”. Basically, the requirement is full coverage. I suspect sun protection plays into it as well-males also have to have a rash guard shirt. 

• Like 1

We just got the dress code for my kids' camp and I'm annoyed. They must wear one piece bathing suits which I think is an antiquated rule. I'd much prefer a long tankini or shorts and rash guard. The shorts and rash guard are even more modest than the one piece I'm forced to buy but they can't wear it. 

They can't wear yoga pants. My girls pretty much only wear yoga pants. They like the ones that are thick and loose- they hate the ones that are tight on the legs- but they can't wear those. 

They aren't allowed to wear spaghetti strap shirts, but boys, however, are not allowed to wear sleeveless shirts at all!! WTH?

I would have been far less annoyed if the dress code had been gender neutral and were general rules for campers instead of being divided into boy and girl sections. I'm so annoyed that had they given us a copy of the dress code with the application, we may not have signed up as I dislike giving my kids the impression that this is ok. 

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Who said anything about string bikinis?  The bikini talk started with a picture from Target of something that isn't even remotely like a string bikini. 

Edited because I couldn't get your links to work at first.  Do you even know what a string bikini is?  Those aren't string bikinis. . .

They are not kid style bikinis.  (I didn't see the Target one as the link keeps showing me something different, I think it's sending me to a Canadian site.)  As far as a dress code for the camp, if they don't want some bikinis, I expect them to say no to all of them, because they aren't going to want to argue with parents over what constitutes a inappropriate bikini.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paige said:

We just got the dress code for my kids' camp and I'm annoyed. They must wear one piece bathing suits which I think is an antiquated rule. I'd much prefer a long tankini or shorts and rash guard. The shorts and rash guard are even more modest than the one piece I'm forced to buy but they can't wear it. 

They can't wear yoga pants. My girls pretty much only wear yoga pants. They like the ones that are thick and loose- they hate the ones that are tight on the legs- but they can't wear those. 

I'd email them and ask about the rash guards. I'll bet they accept them because they DO cover more than a one piece and they won't have to worry about sun screen on their back.

The yoga pants thing is so annoying. Trinqueta's choir has that rule so the girls wear jeggings instead. What's the point of that?

I think tankinis are great - my kids used them for years - but if the swim experts say they don't work for certain purposes, ... it's really not my field of expertise.  ?  My kids had to use a one-piece when they were on swim team.  I disliked the suits since they seemed too high at the outside of the thighs, but since everyone was wearing the same thing, it was no biggie.  My kids were only 8 at that time anyway.  I'm not sure how I'd feel about the suits if they were still on swim team into their teens.  But when people are serious about sports, the optics of the uniforms seem secondary (up to a point).  With a kid in gymnastics, I might have to make a value judgment at some point - but one hopes the coaches are going to be reasonable ....