Menu

Curious - summer camp dress codes?

SKL

That's the standard dress code language here. Kids do have appropriate shorts because they wear them for a large chunk of the school year here. For girls, the jean shorts in Target and Walmart come in Bermuda length. They even work for Trinqueta who can still wear a size 16 and is 5'11".

• Like 1

I should clarify that this is not an outdoor camp.  They go out and play sports once a day, but other than that, it's classroom and city field trip stuff.

They provide a unisex t-shirt that everyone is required to wear at all times.  Otherwise I suppose we'd be talking about necklines and straps etc. too ....

• Like 2

So glad my kids like conservative styles, so we don't have fusses over this stuff.

Though I just got an email about the coming weekend's scout camping trip.  "I forgot to mention to pack a swimsuit.  It has to be one piece or covered with a full t-shirt."  (This is a girls' scouting troop so no gender difference fusses.)

My kids prefer a quick-dry t-shirt (colored with bra under) and capri leggings (black with designs).  I will send that and a one piece (if I can find one that fits) rather than fight about it.

Closed toe shoes + labeled water bottle (and for outdoor ones, "apply sunscreen before arriving") is all I've seen around here for elementary-age kids; I haven't looked for older kids.

If I had a girl, we'd shop only in the boys' department for shorts. I do not like the range of choices available for girls and women. I have three pairs of shorts myself (though I still wear jeans a lot in summer) and two of them are boys' cargo shorts.

I'd be ticked at one week's notice for a dress code. I don't have a problem with the existence of a reasonable one, but it should be provided before people sign up and pay. Parents did not think they were agreeing to inspect their children's summer wardrobes and possibly go out to buy something different at the last minute.

On 6/13/2018 at 6:17 AM, PinkyandtheBrains. said:

I think the people demanding specific clothing lengths need to personally take the girls shopping. A rule stating “cover butt” is reasonable, reaching fingertips not so much.

I haven't found it difficult to buy Bermudas for my girls or myself. 

If 'tweens and teens are turning up their noses at the longer shorts available, that's a different issue. 

On 6/14/2018 at 11:58 AM, SKL said:

So glad my kids like conservative styles, so we don't have fusses over this stuff.

Though I just got an email about the coming weekend's scout camping trip.  "I forgot to mention to pack a swimsuit.  It has to be one piece or covered with a full t-shirt."  (This is a girls' scouting troop so no gender difference fusses.)

My kids prefer a quick-dry t-shirt (colored with bra under) and capri leggings (black with designs).  I will send that and a one piece (if I can find one that fits) rather than fight about it.

Why on earth are tankinis forbidden?   Girls with long torsos gotta wear t-shirts, and that's just uncomfortable, because someone is sexualizing little girls belly buttons?
(I think I remember your daughters are the same age as my girl, around 9-10?)

Not arguing with you, I just think the person who wrote that rule is really sending a terrible message to kids.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, poppy said:

Why on earth are tankinis forbidden?   Girls with long torsos gotta wear t-shirts, and that's just uncomfortable, because someone is sexualizing little girls belly buttons?

Not arguing with you, I just think the person who wrote that rule is really sending a terrible message to kids.

Not to mention swimming in a t-shirt can be dangerous.  Weighs you down, goes over your head when you jump in.  Just yuck.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Not to mention swimming in a t-shirt can be dangerous.  Weighs you down, goes over your head when you jump in.  Just yuck.

I'd get a rash guard. Walmart has them now for less than $10. Or if you have a quick dry exercise shirt, those are fine.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, poppy said:

If I had to guess it's because it's not easy to draw a line between a tankini and a bikini, and they don't want to get into arguing about it.  I'd be curious to see in a situation where that was the rule, if the top part actually met the bottoms, if anyone would really even notice.  I suppose the other issue might be if they are doing really serious swimming, which I think is why competitive swimmers wear one-piece suits.

I'd find it an annoying rule too, I like a two piece because it is a lot easier to pee.

1 hour ago, chiguirre said:

I'd get a rash guard. Walmart has them now for less than $10. Or if you have a quick dry exercise shirt, those are fine.

Yes, there are inexpensive ways to put a hot and uncomfortable t-shirt over your bathing suit, I'm just saying --- why?

1 hour ago, Bluegoat said:

If I had to guess it's because it's not easy to draw a line between a tankini and a bikini, and they don't want to get into arguing about it.  I'd be curious to see in a situation where that was the rule, if the top part actually met the bottoms, if anyone would really even notice.  I suppose the other issue might be if they are doing really serious swimming, which I think is why competitive swimmers wear one-piece suits.

I'd find it an annoying rule too, I like a two piece because it is a lot easier to pee.

Monokini is the word for a one piece with big cut outs -- or a one piece that is basically just a bunch of straps.  Again, I don't see why a bikini is so bad.   I really don't.  I would never ever require them, but forbidding them-- I don't get it.  Especially in a single- sex context.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chiguirre said:

I was thinking they wanted them to be long and loose, but if it were me I'd definitely go for a rash guard rather than a t-shirt.

• Like 1

I have attended a few in the past and my daughters have had camp with our scouting troop where the camp ground specifies a dress code when on their grounds.  The dress code is not seperated out by boys and girls, but there is quite a bit that does target fashions for females.  The only one I refuse to follow is the one-piece bathing suits.  Due to fair skin and sensitivity to sun blocks, we wear full body, two-piece swimsuits.  So far no one has said anything to us about not wearing a one peice, but we are usually showing the least amount of skin of anyone at the beach despite our two peices of swimwear.  And on the topic of one-pieces, I have seen one- pieces that show a lot of skin so it's no guarantee of "modesty."  Just saying.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, poppy said:

It goes through high school, so it's not just little girls they are regulating.

I don't have a problem with it - it's AHG and we know going in that they are conservative / religious.  I kinda wish there was a better way to encourage modest dress without all the specifics though.  There are many ways to dress modestly.

3 hours ago, poppy said:

Yes, there are inexpensive ways to put a hot and uncomfortable t-shirt over your bathing suit, I'm just saying --- why?

Monokini is the word for a one piece with big cut outs -- or a one piece that is basically just a bunch of straps.  Again, I don't see why a bikini is so bad.   I really don't.  I would never ever require them, but forbidding them-- I don't get it.  Especially in a single- sex context.

Many people find it more comfortable to wear a rash guard or similar than not.  My kids were in heaven when they discovered their current style.  I also prefer a swim-friendly shirt.  I actually really hate that fashions often dictate that girls must expose more than they want to.

• Like 2

Mine haven't done traditional sleep away camps, but they have done day camps, some with an overnight or two. No dress codes.  There are always purchases that need to be made, though.  Getting new hiking boots, muck boots, replacing old/lost flashlights, they're in need of a new tent, and let's not have another refillable water bottle conversation.  The usual sunblocks and bug sprays are prohibited at one of their usual places, so creative coverings and deterrents that we don't normally use are important.

9 hours ago, poppy said:

6 hours ago, SKL said:

Many people find it more comfortable to wear a rash guard or similar than not.  My kids were in heaven when they discovered their current style.  I also prefer a swim-friendly shirt.  I actually really hate that fashions often dictate that girls must expose more than they want to.

Yes, a rash guard is not the same as a t-shirt at all, they are designed to be in the water

7 hours ago, SKL said:

Although most rash guard suits for girls come with a bikini-type top. I usually cover more at the beach or an outdoor pool because of sun-swimsuits have a tendency to expose skin that otherwise never sees light. DD tends to break out at the beach if she is exposed to both salt water and sun, so she wears long sleeved rash guards and board shorts, even though she tends to wear a lot of tank tops and athletic shorts (the kind that are basically a loose pair of shorts over short leggings) for summer casual wear. 

DD had a cheer competition at a water park. It was rather humorous to see all these teen girls who regularly practice in tank tops or sports bras  and Nike Pros commenting “oh, I’m not allowed to wear a bikini-it shows too much!”

2 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

A long, loose t-shirt is dangerous in the water, as someone upthread pointed out. We aren't even allowed to wear t-shirts to swim in at our public pool down the street for that reason. 

T shirts are also much more likely to shed fibers that clog pool filters.  That's another reason they're banned. 

I think all of this is an example of people not being willing to say what they mean.  If what you mean is you want bellies covered, just say that, and let parents address it in a way that makes sense, whether that's tankinis, rash guards, one pieces etc . . . 

Having worked in many summer camps, I'd love to require rash guards and board shorts for everyone (over a bikini if you're a teenage girl who wants more support), because sunscreen is a pain, and requiring them would cut down the time spent on it dramatically, and with the youngest kids getting back into a one piece after the bathroom is a pain too.  Modesty wouldn't have anything to do with it.  

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Daria said:

T shirts are also much more likely to shed fibers that clog pool filters.  That's another reason they're banned. 

I think all of this is an example of people not being willing to say what they mean.  If what you mean is you want bellies covered, just say that, and let parents address it in a way that makes sense, whether that's tankinis, rash guards, one pieces etc . . . 

Having worked in many summer camps, I'd love to require rash guards and board shorts for everyone (over a bikini if you're a teenage girl who wants more support), because sunscreen is a pain, and requiring them would cut down the time spent on it dramatically, and with the youngest kids getting back into a one piece after the bathroom is a pain too.  Modesty wouldn't have anything to do with it.  

That’s the reason my kids wear rash guards, it’s way easier than sunscreen! Although my oldest son is uncomfortable going shirtless even in indoor pools. It’s nothing we have pushed, just how he is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rachel said:

That’s the reason my kids wear rash guards, it’s way easier than sunscreen! Although my oldest son is uncomfortable going shirtless even in indoor pools. It’s nothing we have pushed, just how he is. 

Same here. Oldest DD wears a long sleeved rash guard and knee length swim shorts (like bike shorts) because she can't stand sunscreen. I can't imagine swimming in long sleeves, lol. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Rash guards seem to be the norm here now.  I swim at the indoor pool and I'd say 2/3 of the boys, and many of the girls have them on.  My son used to wear one indoors, to cover his g-tube (it was easier than answering a million questions about whether it was safe in the pool), and he would be the only one, but now it seems more common to wear one that not.  Of course, maybe 2/3 of the boys at our pool have g-tubes, but I doubt it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SKL said:

I see lots and lots and lots of kids in modest suits, I do not think the fashion dictates non modest suits for kids ,  especially in this era of sun safety awarewmes. 

On top of that, i do think a prudish view of children’s bodies is more prevalent than it was 15-20 years ago. I don’t mean in conservative religion , I mean in general.  Not exactly sure why. 

My boys all wear rashguards even for indoor pools, they don't like the exposed feeling of a bare torso.

My girls sometimes wear rashguards and swim shorts and sometimes other suit styles--one piece or tankini generally. One likes to wear gymnastics unitards.

On 6/16/2018 at 2:23 PM, poppy said:

I see lots and lots and lots of kids in modest suits, I do not think the fashion dictates non modest suits for kids ,  especially in this era of sun safety awarewmes. 

On top of that, i do think a prudish view of children’s bodies is more prevalent than it was 15-20 years ago. I don’t mean in conservative religion , I mean in general.  Not exactly sure why. 

I think that's true - for example it's no longer considered ok to let your toddlers go naked at the beach here.  It used to be pretty normal for toddlers and small kids to swim naked or in their underwear, and now people don't even want to let their kids the same age change on the beach.

I think it actually reflects issues like the sexualization of kids clothes though.  We've become so weird about these two things in tension - a heck of a lot of kids clothes are in styles that are copying adult "sexy" styles.  So what happens, bathing suit wise, when you start putting your kid in bikinis that were originally designed to be risqué - it's maybe cute but part of that cuteness is about taking something that an adult women would wear and putting it on a kid. (Or instead of beach wear you could look at some kids dress up clothes, or dance competitions, whatever)

At the same time, we are so terrified of pedophiles that we won't let our kids change at the beach in case someone looks at them and thinks about them sexually.

It's very weird, I think it kind of reeks of some kind of mental displacement.

• Like 2

I've always been conservative about girls' dress past maybe 8 or 9yo.  It has always annoyed me to see anybody's butt cheeks (girl or boy, man or woman) beyond that age.  One of my daughters is kind of long-legged and I have been preventing her from wearing short-shorts for years now (outside the house).  It just looks wrong to me.  (My other kid doesn't like shorts anyway.)  As a parent I feel it's my responsibility to guide my kids as to the what and why as they gain maturity; and before thy understand for themselves, it's my job to police their wardrobe.

This morning I noticed some young teens at summer camp with shorts that just covered their butts.  They didn't look bad in them.  But (1) all kids are shaped differently and some kids can wear shorts better than others; and (2) I'm not those girls' mother.  ?

I don't worry about pedophiles.  I do feel that clothes send messages, and when girls are too young to understand that, parents need to take charge.

I don't expect other people to guess how young or innocent my growing, developing girls are.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2018 at 10:23 AM, poppy said:

Stores used to sell little-girl bikinis that were cute and age-appropriate. We had a Strawberry Shortcake toddler bikini that had wide straps & ruffles on the top and basically the same coverage as a swim diaper on the bottom. Yes, you could see the midriff but it was very clearly a little girl style.

Today's bikinis for little girls typically look like miniature copies of adult bikinis with triangle tops and skimpy bottoms. Totally age-inappropriate and I don't think it's prudish to object to a highly sexualized style on a pre-pubescent child.

ETA: This is the kind of bikini that I think is completely age-inappropriate. It starts in a size 4.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2018 at 10:59 AM, Daria said:

This explains the new NO COTTON rule in all our city pools this year. (And they are enforcing it. I've gotten way more questions this year about the swim shirt I wear over my swimsuit than I did before). I saw them pull a boy out wearing denim shots in the pool

19 hours ago, Crimson Wife said:

Stores used to sell little-girl bikinis that were cute and age-appropriate. We had a Strawberry Shortcake toddler bikini that had wide straps & ruffles on the top and basically the same coverage as a swim diaper on the bottom. Yes, you could see the midriff but it was very clearly a little girl style.

Today's bikinis for little girls typically look like miniature copies of adult bikinis with triangle tops and skimpy bottoms. Totally age-inappropriate and I don't think it's prudish to object to a highly sexualized style on a pre-pubescent child.

ETA: This is the kind of bikini that I think is completely age-inappropriate. It starts in a size 4.

Yup. Agree. But I was also the one ranting about finding high heeled shoes in toddler sizes at the store. So inappropriate!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Crimson Wife said:

Target has a whole section for toddler swim suits (like this).  Toddlers are 2-6X, That  suit is in the kids section so designed for  7+ I think?

I actually don't see anything wrong with it.     To me the bottom looks like a regular briefs.  Or, do you object to anything below the belly button?  Boys suits are also that low, so I don't think it is a girl thing.  The top- my daughter is 10 and has breast buds. It's nice that she can wear the same style as her friends, whether those friends are not-starting-yet or pretty fully developed. I do personally like  a wider strap, just easier with sun screen , but the skinny straps dont' read as sexual to me.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Crimson Wife said:

Hmmm, I see absolutely nothing wrong with that suit. 

• Like 1

Funny - I just saw a bunch of photos of the summer camp referred to in the OP and most of the tween / teen girls have short shorts on.

One thing I was wondering - what happens if the counselors decide that a girl's shorts are just fine despite not meeting the fingertip rule?  Just ignore?  But then don't you have to ignore everything?  You can't enforce it against only some kids.

Looks like they wimped out and decided to forget all about the dress code ....

5 hours ago, poppy said:

I actually don't see anything wrong with it.     To me the bottom looks like a regular briefs.  Or, do you object to anything below the belly button?  Boys suits are also that low, so I don't think it is a girl thing.  The top- my daughter is 10 and has breast buds. It's nice that she can wear the same style as her friends, whether those friends are not-starting-yet or pretty fully developed. I do personally like  a wider strap, just easier with sun screen , but the skinny straps dont' read as sexual to me.

I object to an adult-style bikini sold in the girls' section. And that particular suit starts in a size 4! It would be questionable even in a size 14 IMHO.

If a girl has a childish figure enough to be shopping in the girls' section rather than the juniors' section, the clothes should be appropriate to her life stage. Sexualizing pre-pubescent girls by dressing them in smaller versions of juniors' styles strikes me as icky. '

5 hours ago, poppy said:

Target has a whole section for toddler swim suits (like this).  Toddlers are 2-6X, That  suit is in the kids section so designed for  7+ I think?

So - I realize that pretty much everyone is used to looking at bikinis and whatever revealing things are trendy, but bikinis in every fashion magazine ever are touted as a sexy look. Unlike, say, a competition style suit.  And they were invented to push the envelope in that way too.

While culture changes, I don't think that becoming accustoms to something is the same thing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crimson Wife said:

I object to an adult-style bikini sold in the girls' section. And that particular suit starts in a size 4! It would be questionable even in a size 14 IMHO.

If a girl has a childish figure enough to be shopping in the girls' section rather than the juniors' section, the clothes should be appropriate to her life stage. Sexualizing pre-pubescent girls by dressing them in smaller versions of juniors' styles strikes me as icky. '

It’s adult styling why? Because it doesn’t have strawberries or bows or hearts? I would have worn the equivalent of that suit in my small, conservative midwestern town in 1976 (when I was 4) and not have been given a 2nd glance. No one thought it was sexualizing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluegoat said:

So - I realize that pretty much everyone is used to looking at bikinis and whatever revealing things are trendy, but bikinis in every fashion magazine ever are touted as a sexy look. Unlike, say, a competition style suit.  And they were invented to push the envelope in that way too.

While culture changes, I don't think that becoming accustoms to something is the same thing.  

What makes an adult bikini sexy is the adult form. I agree with others that it would not bother me to see a child in a bikini. (Though my dd has always worn a one piece or tankini so I don’t have a dog in this fight. ). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

What makes an adult bikini sexy is the adult form. I agree with others that it would not bother me to see a child in a bikini. (Though my dd has always worn a one piece or tankini so I don’t have a dog in this fight. ). 

I don't think it is just that.  I mean, every adult presumably has an adult form, whereas not every type of clothing is meant to be sexy. Why would a bikini be more sexy than any other suit in that case? If I put a bustier on a child, it doesn't lose all it's boudoir implications. 

My question is really, if sexualizing women and even children bodies is normalized in our culture - which it is, mainly for commercial ends, are we really going to feel that it's abnormal?  Probably not, our immediate perception will be affected by that too.  To me, this gets back to the question of - why are we now seeing kids on the beach in a different way than in the 70s?  It's not really the amount of skin, or the bodies themselves, that has changed.

String bikinis aren't really even that good for swimming or having fun on the beach a lot of the time.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bluegoat said:

I don't think it is just that.  I mean, every adult presumably has an adult form, whereas not every type of clothing is meant to be sexy. Why would a bikini be more sexy than any other suit in that case? If I put a bustier on a child, it doesn't lose all it's boudoir implications. 

My question is really, if sexualizing women and even children bodies is normalized in our culture - which it is, mainly for commercial ends, are we really going to feel that it's abnormal?  Probably not, our immediate perception will be affected by that too.  To me, this gets back to the question of - why are we now seeing kids on the beach in a different way than in the 70s?  It's not really the amount of skin, or the bodies themselves, that has changed.

String bikinis aren't really even that good for swimming or having fun on the beach a lot of the time.  

I think it's mainly due to awareness of skin cancer. Back in the 70s, sun screen was basically cooking oil. Now, we know how bad the sun is for our skin and we'd prefer to dress our kids (and ourselves) in rash guards for better protection. That's particularly true of babies and toddlers because they burn so quickly.

43 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

I think it's mainly due to awareness of skin cancer. Back in the 70s, sun screen was basically cooking oil. Now, we know how bad the sun is for our skin and we'd prefer to dress our kids (and ourselves) in rash guards for better protection. That's particularly true of babies and toddlers because they burn so quickly.

Do you mean covering them more?  I think that's true, here in Canada, in the last few years - maybe five. People have been using more and more sun-block over the last 10 or 15, but they seem to have started to take covering much more seriously, using suits and shirts and such, more recently.

I think the public nudity of kids thing has been going on longer, and is a separate.  People aren't looking askance at kids changing the beach because of skin cancer worries.  

It's odd, because a wee bikini really isn't covering much compared to nothing, and it isn't protecting from the sun either.  Nor is it great to swim in.  So it doesn't really seem to accomplish much from any perspective.  For an adult it seems clear what the purpose is, but someone who is 7?  

7 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

Do you mean covering them more?  I think that's true, here in Canada, in the last few years - maybe five. People have been using more and more sun-block over the last 10 or 15, but they seem to have started to take covering much more seriously, using suits and shirts and such, more recently.

I think the public nudity of kids thing has been going on longer, and is a separate.  People aren't looking askance at kids changing the beach because of skin cancer worries.  

It's odd, because a wee bikini really isn't covering much compared to nothing, and it isn't protecting from the sun either.  Nor is it great to swim in.  So it doesn't really seem to accomplish much from any perspective.  For an adult it seems clear what the purpose is, but someone who is 7?  

Don't you have bathrooms at the beach? Why would you change on the beach? That must be some cultural norm that is very regional. When I was little in the 70s my mom put on our bathing suits at home and we had cute terry cloth cover-ups we wore over them. They still sell those even for adults (they're super handy because it's like wearing a towel).

3 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

Don't you have bathrooms at the beach? Why would you change on the beach? That must be some cultural norm that is very regional. When I was little in the 70s my mom put on our bathing suits at home and we had cute terry cloth cover-ups we wore over them. They still sell those even for adults (they're super handy because it's like wearing a towel).

Some beaches do, some don't. Often at the seaside they are back behind the dunes.  Adults and older kids change at home, but a lot of prepubescent kids just changed at the beach.  They'd come out of the water and get cold and want to get out of their wet things.  Pre-schoolers and below often didn't wear suits at all.

I don't think it's totally regional.  You can see it in photos and to some extent with the advertising for the Coppertone sunscreen too - you used to be able to see that kid's bum, whereas now you can't - a lot of people think the old one is creepy and sexualized, not just too tanned.

There are definitely styles that look inappropriate on even a little girl. 

I didn't have an issue with the one Crimson posted for say a 4yo, though I would not wear it on an older girl who is beginning to develop.

But looking at media such as Toddlers and Tiaras, it is obvious to most people IMO that certain styles attempt to give little girls a sexual / alluring look even though it may not be possible for most of us to see little girls that way, if that makes any sense.  I mean it's funny and cute in the child's own home, but once you put it up on stage (or on the beach), it's just wrong.  I also find certain dance moves to be just wrong in a children's dance number.  I don't think you have to be mega prude to feel that way. 

Looking at some people's facebook posts of their daughters' dance recitals, I wonder if some people are just blind to it or if they are pressured to accept age-inappropriate clothes / moves because you don't argue with competitive dance teachers?  I would have a hard time though.  When my kids' gym assigned a costume I didn't like, I just didn't buy it and sent my kids in black leotards and shorts.  Our gym isn't competitive though.

8 hours ago, Bluegoat said:

Little girls wore bikinis even in the 60’s. https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/fashion-1960s-children-play-with-bucket-and-spade-in-their-news-photo/592300188#fashion-1960s-children-play-with-bucket-and-spade-in-their-swimwear-a-picture-id592300188

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I had a bikini when I was 2yo.  But it was more like a loose sports bra on top.

Also wee toddler girls just went in training pants on the beach / at the pool in those days.

1 minute ago, SKL said:

I had a bikini when I was 2yo.  But it was more like a loose sports bra on top.

Also wee toddler girls just went in training pants on the beach / at the pool in those days.

When I was little in the 60’s we had plenty of little girls who only wore the training pants or bikini bottoms with nothing at all on top. In fact, we even had some naked little boys and girls running around. It was no big deal. 

• Like 1

So as far as wee kids, it's not really how much skin is covered as much as whether the clothing style is trying to send an inappropriate message.

Like when they came out with pants with really low waistlines for young kids - why?  Kids that age have no desire to "show off their stuff" so who exactly is this style designed for?  Kuz there is nothing convenient or comfortable about constantly having to worry about whether you're showing something when you sit or bend over.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:58 PM, dmmetler said:

DD is doing one next week that requires navy or khaki shorts that are no shorter than 2” above the knee or capris, plus a camp shirt. Swim suits have to be one piece (with restrictions on straps), or a rash guard and swim shorts. Males have restrictions on swim trunks and need to wear a swim shirt/rash guard. It makes sense, though-it’s a camp where the kids will be shadowing employees and learning about job roles in an animal park, so they essentially are being treated as the employees are. They also have to have appropriate footwear both for water and non-water activities. 

This was also available ro parents even before camp sign up, so no one was broadsided by it. 

The swim suit rule alone would keep my daughter from being able to attend this camp. Not every body type can fit in one piece suits. I'm kind of annoyed by most dress code restrictions anyway as my daughter is long and lean. She can wear 5" inseam shorts to work, but those would not fit the fingertip rule so many have adopted.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Those are totally toddler bikinis though.  I had one myself, though it wasn't great to swim in because the ruffles on the bum tended to pull the shorts down when you tried to get up any speed.

When people talk about kids in string bikinis I am picturing something like this:  https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Wholesale-2016-girls-bikini-set-cute_60555263511.html

or even this:    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HIHEART-2015-Brand-Children-Swimwear-Baby-Girls-Swim-Suit-String-Triangle-Bikinis-3D-Floral-Two-Pieces/32315719175.html

I think there is something very odd where naked little kids are considered open to sexualization, but suits that look like very adult styles don't.  

And the dance competition stuff SKL mentions is often even worse.  

8 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

Those are totally toddler bikinis though.  I had one myself, though it wasn't great to swim in because the ruffles on the bum tended to pull the shorts down when you tried to get up any speed.

When people talk about kids in string bikinis I am picturing something like this:  https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Wholesale-2016-girls-bikini-set-cute_60555263511.html

or even this:    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HIHEART-2015-Brand-Children-Swimwear-Baby-Girls-Swim-Suit-String-Triangle-Bikinis-3D-Floral-Two-Pieces/32315719175.html

I think there is something very odd where naked little kids are considered open to sexualization, but suits that look like very adult styles don't.  

And the dance competition stuff SKL mentions is often even worse.  

Who said anything about string bikinis?  The bikini talk started with a picture from Target of something that isn't even remotely like a string bikini. 

Edited because I couldn't get your links to work at first.  Do you even know what a string bikini is?  Those aren't string bikinis. . .

• Like 1