Menu

Amazon, I dare you!

DawnM

Did you know you can find out how much you have spent on Amazon for as long as you  have had an account?

It will tell you how much you have ever spent on the site.

I can't believe I did it, HOLY COW!     :ohmy:  :ohmy:  :ohmy:  :ohmy:

Now, we get all sorts of things, car tires, food, Christmas gifts, books, all homeschool materials, and more.....

BUT.....seeing that huge number!!!!!  I could have gotten a decent car!

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-see-how-much-youve-spent-on-amazon-in-your-lifetime-2016-2

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 4

I've always said that if anyone ever steals my credit card number and only uses it on Amazon, I will never know.  Seriously--you could go on forever, and I would never know to report you.  I've actually tried hard this Christmas to diversify my spending, but I didn't do a great job.  That would be a great New Year's resolution for me--spend elsewhere!

• Like 2

And if I were to tally the amount that I've saved by ordering on amazon......probably equally a high number.  For the very vast majority of items I've purchased, I would've spent more buying them from a big box store...if I could find the item at all.  

ETA: real life example from this week....I take a curcumin supplement for my joints. The chain health food store in my area is one of the few places I can find it locally.  I headed there to find bulk spices, and decided to reprice my supplements. One bottle of the supplement was $39.  I came home, ordered online with free next day service, and got it for $17 a bottle from amazon.  

Edited by kbeal
  • Like 7

Where can you find this information that I probably don't want to know?

There is a link in my OP, but basically

Amazon.com

Your Account

Find the section:  Ordering and Shopping Preferences

click "Download Order Reports"

You can specify the amount of time to report.  Mine was 11 years.  

• Like 1

I'm clueless. It would only let me go back to 2006 but I've been buying since 1998. Plus it generated an Excel sheet and I don't have Excel so I couldn't use any of its features. I could see how much each line was but didn't see a running total. Where do you see that, or do I have to use Excel features to add a column? 

Amazon.com

Your Account

D'oh, I didn't even notice that.  

Interestingly, it wasn't where the article said and my screens didn't look like that.  

It actually wasn't as bad as I thought considering it's been 5 years.

Well, we use it for the business too, so I expected it to be a lot worse than it was (although we've only had this one since the start of the year - in previous years we shared one with my mom, and I can't access it anymore as we switched).  Only $5k for the year, and that includes shipping supplies and ink and printers and etc. - not bad!

Now, if there were a way to total my grocery receipts for the last 5 years, I'm sure I would be depressed.  I could have bought a house with what we spend in groceries over the course of a few years.  (a small house)

• Like 1

Dh and I are out at a restaurant drinking margaritas, which is an excellent time to take a look. Unfortunately it only goes back to 2006. The number wasn’t the six figures that dh predicted, but with those other years....

The first thing I bought from amazon was Our Babies, Ourselves by Meredith Small in April 1998. Ds was 6 months old.

ETA: The most recent thing I bought was the textbook for his sophomore university English class. Amazon has brought me almost full circle!

Edited by Joules
  • Like 4

Amazon.com

Your Account

that might make doing reconciliations easier . . . and faster.

• Like 1

I'm clueless. It would only let me go back to 2006 but I've been buying since 1998. Plus it generated an Excel sheet and I don't have Excel so I couldn't use any of its features. I could see how much each line was but didn't see a running total. Where do you see that, or do I have to use Excel features to add a column?

You have to use a spreadsheet to sum the column. We were able to do it in Numbers on the iPad.

• Like 1

Well, we use it for the business too, so I expected it to be a lot worse than it was (although we've only had this one since the start of the year - in previous years we shared one with my mom, and I can't access it anymore as we switched).  Only $5k for the year, and that includes shipping supplies and ink and printers and etc. - not bad!

Now, if there were a way to total my grocery receipts for the last 5 years, I'm sure I would be depressed.  I could have bought a house with what we spend in groceries over the course of a few years.  (a small house)

True that!

I just totaled the item total column.  Shipping isn't factored in, either.  Just price and tax.

Dh and I are out at a restaurant drinking margaritas, which is an excellent time to take a look. Unfortunately it only goes back to 2006. The number wasn’t the six figures that dh predicted, but with those other years....

The first thing I bought from amazon was Our Babies, Ourselves by Meredith Small in April 1998. Ds was 6 months old.

ETA: The most recent thing I bought was the textbook for his sophomore university English class. Amazon has brought me almost full circle!

Same here! I'm sure if the report included the years 1998-2005, my total would have been 6 figures. My very first Amazon order was for two Miss Spider board books and a Miss Spider puppet. This year's purchases included ACT and CLEP prep books, and assorted dress shirts and ties in "Extra Tall." <snif>

• Like 1

One of the books in my very first order was Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way. DH and I took a Bradley class that month and dd was born the next month. Now she's in her 2nd year at college. I'd love to know what I've spent since then. I told DH what I've spent since 2006 and he said we should have purchased stock in Amazon. :)

One of the books in my very first order was Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way. DH and I took a Bradley class that month and dd was born the next month. Now she's in her 2nd year at college. I'd love to know what I've spent since then. I told DH what I've spent since 2006 and he said we should have purchased stock in Amazon. :)

We did. I am so glad dh saw that one coming!! :thumbup1:

Tried this. Didn't work for me.

Highlight the column of numbers, then go under Format > Cells and switch it from Text to Currency. Then it should sum the column.

If you go under "Your Orders", you can see what you ordered by year (back to 1998).

First book I bought was a gift for my little brother, "Mars and Venus [go?] on a Date"

It didn't help him - he still married the loser. She divorced him. He's got three kids with someone else now.

• Like 1

Holy cow. The raw number is staggering. I'm going to have to do some analysis to see who is ordering what since our kids use our Prime account. This is a good time to see this number- I'm working on our 2018 budget. And as I typed that, Dh just said it's a bad time for me to learn this number since he knows I'm working on the budget. g

Guess who the spender is in our house...

• Like 1

$17,783.51 in ten years.  :svengo:Interesting enough I'm at exactly 1,000 purchases.

(If you click on the cell just below the last number in the column, and click formula across the top, and then auto sum, it will do the work for you.  If you only see your orders listed you need to go back to account and pick from that screen.)

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 1

Is this only for Prime Members?  Because I can't find anything where it will let me download anything.  Actually when I clock the orders page, all I get is a list of my orders.  Wondering if it's because I don't have Prime or if I just need to keep looking for it.

On the home page, look where it says Hello (your name) and Accounts and Lists just below that. Hover over that. Click on the first link inside the drop down page which should say 'your account'. Then scroll down and look on the left for a box titled Ordering and Shopping Preferences. Inside that box says 'download order reports'. Then you'll see the screen that lets you put in the dates you want to generate on the report. 

Mine opened in Excel which I don't have but I just clicked on the column that said purchases and on the bottom in tiny letters/numbers it gives you "Average", "Count", and "Sum".

• Like 1

I suspect with it being a download that it will use way too much data for our limited plan, esp since two of our boys are also using our plan while here.

That said, ours won't be super high.  I'm not a big Amazon fan using it mainly to buy textbooks for the lads.  That number itself might be high, I suppose, but it will be lower than if I had them buy their books at the college bookstore.

Occasionally we need Amazon to get lawnmower parts, but that's not terribly often.

I've never understood why folks pay for Prime.  ;)  (Different strokes for different folks - not being judgmental!  We don't do membership stores like BJs either.  It's just not "us.")