Menu

Calling family members the wrong names.

Rachel

Do you mix up names after having been around your family of origin?

My husband is always mixing up my name and his sister’s name after he has been on the phone with her or we have been around each other. He’ll say, “Rachel was telling me...†and I laugh and ask what I was telling him. He is well aware he does it, but most of the time doesn’t realize he is doing it in the moment.

My brother just visited and now I keep mixing his name up with my eldest son’s name. My brother has been gone two days and I’m still calling my son by my brother’s name. I’m not having trouble keeping anyone else’s name straight.

I have three brothers and I will mix up this brother and my baby brother with my one son’s name. It’s only my oldest son and it’s usually after I have been on the phone with them or after we have been together.

I don’t do it with the middle brother though. I also don’t mix up my sisters’ names with my daughter. I do on occasion call my own kids by one of their siblings names. I can look right at them and say the wrong name.

I wonder what it is in my brain that flips the names around. I don’t think it’s uncommon to call children by sibling names but I don’t know if it is common to mix up between generations or it that is just a quirk of my own.

Anyone else do the same thing?

• Like 1

My husband frequently calls me and our oldest daughter by his sister's name when he's stressed about his crazy sister.  He'll also call me our dd's name and sometimes dd my name. 

Our other dd doesn't usually get thrown in that particular mix. She looks and acts less like the three of us, I think.  However, she reminds me a lot of one of my sisters, and I have been known to call her Court once in a while!

I  mix my own kids up all the time, and sometimes the pets.  I intentionally named every child with a different first letter, after growing up as one of 3 Cs who were always mixed up.  Well, it didn't work. I still fumble a lot, and people tend to forget which dd is which, and which of the younger two boys is which.  

• Like 1

All the time.  

The worst for me is my best friend and my dd.  I am CONSTANTLY calling my dd by my best friend's name!  

My mom is always calling my ds by my brother's name.  

Here's an embarrassing story.  

I got married and started a new job within a few weeks of being married.  I changed my name to my husband's, a two syllable name starting with a letter __.  My boss also had a two syllable last name starting with __.  I used to really struggle to remember which was my last name and which was hers!  It was terrible.  

• Like 2

Dh frequently calls our sons and nephews by his brothers' names. I don't think I've ever heard him call one brother by another brother's name, but he does mix up names between the kids (and dogs). 

My most frequent mistake is calling Ds15 by Dh's name. I can't help it. They're clones. 

• Like 1

yes.  usually my kids names. (usually calling a child by the next older siblings name.)  mil would call her children by her siblings names.  my kids have even done it with each other.  by far the funniest is when 1ds called dudeling by . . . 1ds's name. (re: his own)

eta: clarification.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

All the time.

The worst for me is my best friend and my dd. I am CONSTANTLY calling my dd by my best friend's name!

My mom is always calling my ds by my brother's name.

Here's an embarrassing story.

I got married and started a new job within a few weeks of being married. I changed my name to my husband's, a two syllable name starting with a letter __. My boss also had a two syllable last name starting with __. I used to really struggle to remember which was my last name and which was hers! It was terrible.

Hahaha that sounds like me!
  • Like 1

I don’t notice this as much now with family. But in highschool my two BFFs were a guy, one syllable name and a girl, two syllable name. We had two dogs, male, one syllable name that started with the same first letter as my guy friend, and female, two syllable name that started with the same first letter as my girl friend.

My poor friends got used to responding to my dogs names! :D

Glad to hear I’m not alone in doing this!

Me too!!! I don't do it too often, but I have a cousin with whom I was raised like a sister. For some reason, when another, much younger cousin visits, I immediately start calling her by sister-cousin's name! And they're from opposite sides of the family, so no relation at all. I've always thought it was so weird, so I'm glad to know it's fairly common :lol: 

• Like 1

Well, I just called dh by our dog's name ... to his face, as in, "Bear, did you want me to call in that catering order?"  And dh referred to his boss by our dog's name in an important meeting with lots of honchos.  Major faux pas.  Good thing his boss took it in stride.  

Oh and I have two acquaintances that are part of the same parent group I am involved in... one is called Chuck, but his fb name is Charles.  The other is called Charles, but his fb name is an old college nickname that doesn't resemble Charles. And I mix them up all the time.  And I call my friend by her daughter's name all the time.  It is really embarrassing.

• Like 2

My youngest sister and my oldest daughter have names that rhyme. (In my accent anyway - in other areas/countries, people pronounce one or both names differently so they don't rhyme. But anyway.) I mix up their names a lot if I am with or talking about that sister.

And then I mix up all three of my kids' names. I usually end up landing on "you! child right there!" or "you! oldest child!" or something like that.

• Like 2

My youngest sister and my oldest daughter have names that rhyme. (In my accent anyway - in other areas/countries, people pronounce one or both names differently so they don't rhyme. But anyway.) I mix up their names a lot if I am with or talking about that sister.

And then I mix up all three of my kids' names. I usually end up landing on "you! child right there!" or "you! oldest child!" or something like that.

My kids’ names don’t rhyme, but I get them mixed up, especially when I’m tired. When I went to bed last Saturday night, I asked the dd that came into my room to move the frozen cookie dough from the freezer to the fridge. The next morning, i found it was not done and messed up my plans for the day because it took all day for the dough to thaw. The dd’s reason for not doing it? I called by her sister’s name instead of hers. I had no idea and that dd wasn’t within hearing distance and I was looking at the one I told. Was not happy. She thought it was funny.

• Like 1

The most spectacular was at Thanksgiving when my sister's ex-husband called his wife by my sister's name. 

It was the first time we'd met the woman, and the first time we'd seen him in years, so, yeah, she (new wife) was pretty embarrassed.  Everyone else sort of shrugged it off. 

• Like 1

You with the lips!