Menu

What decade where you born?

Mommyof1

80's

(Side question for grammar experts: is it 80s or 80's? Why?)

80s refers to a plural number of years, 1989-1989. I was born in the 1980s. So you add s to make it plural. For 80's the apostrophe implies possession. I think ??? Someone agree or disagree here, that if yOu say 80's music, you use the ' because the music belongs to the 80s, like Mary's dress.

• Like 1

80s refers to a plural number of years, 1989-1989. I was born in the 1980s. So you add s to make it plural. For 80's the apostrophe implies possession. I think ??? Someone agree or disagree here, that if yOu say 80's music, you use the ' because the music belongs to the 80s, like Mary's dress.

According to Chicago Manuel of Style, it would be technically written '80s. (The apostrophe indicates the missing 19 of 1980s.)

Thank you both!

• Like 1

Late 70s.

Recently, I was surprised to realize that my little brother (5 years younger) identifies as a Millennial, whereas I'm GenX.  I mean, it makes sense given the definitions, but it's weird to not be the same generation as my sibling.

I was born in 81, so it is kind of up in the air what generation I belong to.  Depending on how you define it, I am either one of the youngest GenXers, or I am one of the oldest Millennials.

I don't really identify as either; I missed a lot of the culture that unites GenX, but Millennials are just so gosh darn young.

Wendy

1960s

Average cost of things in 1968

http://www.1960sflashback.com/1968/economy.asp

Cost of a new home:  $26,600.00  Cost of a new car:  Median Household Income:  $7,743.00  Cost of a first-class stamp:  $0.05 ($0.06 as of 1/7/68)  Cost of a gallon of regular gas:  $0.34  Cost of a dozen eggs:  $0.53  Cost of a gallon of Milk:  1.07 

Edited by umsami
  • Like 1

Early '80s, dh late '70s. I saw an article online that newly defines around 1978-1983 as its own micro-generation. I think it makes sense. We weren't old enough to really experience much of the culture of the 1980s like Generation X, but we were young adults for the real advent of the Internet and September 11th, unlike most Millennials.

• Like 1