Menu

Stupid ways you've hurt yourself...

alisoncooks

The "Bad Mom" thread made me think about how often I hurt myself (and how exhausting I must have been to my mom).

My most recent injuries:

Somehow, after using the restroom and flushing the toilet, I turned back around and managed to slam my face into a wall. Mind you, we've lived here 11 years...this wall is not new. So painful.

Second: my forearms are covered in big, visible bruises...all because I tried to help a stuck package go down the UPS drop box. (I needed to drop off my package, and someone else's was jammed in there.) I was ineffective, and now my arms are covered in bruises.

And my biggest doozies:

I took my kids to a free, trial karate class, and tore my ACL, requiring surgery and physical therapy. Sooo not free.

I accidentally slit my wrist with a box cutter, narrowly avoiding the important bits. I was trying to cut down a box to make it smaller, in order to ship some books more cheaply. An ER visit and 12 stitches pretty much messed that up.

Anyone else accident prone? Have you grown out of it? Did you pass in on to your kids?

(FWIW, pretty sure I got it honest - my dad is accident prone as well.)

• Like 3

My biggest story came from when I would have been about 9 years of age.  My sister and I thought it would be fun if we had one of our ponies pull the other one of us on a tricycle.  We had no idea that they use blinders on equines that pull things to stop them from seeing behind them and getting scared... I was on the pulling pony.  He got scared, shied, and ran.  I fell off fairly quickly, but my foot was caught in the stirrup so I got dragged for a bit including across a paved road.  Somehow I got free and quite a bit later the pony was caught and returned home to us.  By that time I was in our bathroom.  My mom was more upset that my play clothes were ruined (literally, torn to pieces) and there were tons of scrapes (going the whole length of my arms and some on my legs) that needed to have antibiotics and large bandages.  She gave me the materials and told me to take care of it.  We didn't actually have enough bandaids... so some wounds went without.

I guess I've been more careful since then.  I get bruises fairly often (usually no idea why), but nothing compared to that day where I bet it took me over an hour to clean up.  I didn't think anything of it then, but both mom and dad were quite angry.  Only later did I realize how dangerous that could have been if I hadn't gotten free, esp since that was before riding helmets were common so we didn't have them.

After injuring myself twice, I finally learned not to clean the blades of my immersion blender while it is still plugged in. That darn button is so sensitive and easy to hit. :glare: Having done the exact same thing twice is the truly embarrassing part.

My son required 12 stitches to a finger earlier this year from one of those. He wasn't cleaning it though. He was playing with it! He liked the vibration of the center of the blade part on his finger tip. Until he nearly severed it Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€™.

I bent my fingernail backwards ripping open a package the other day. I have a small bruised area but it's so close to the edge it's not very noticeable.

I also have a toenail story. I dropped a water bottle (partially full) on my bare toe. It caused a bruise. I don't really get how it works but the black dot appears on the top of the toe nail and I guess won't be visible once enough time passes and the toe nail grows more because the dot has moved over as the nail grows.

I punched myself in the face doing something stupid like adjusting a blanket.

I can't remember all the details but I think I tripped stepping over the tall baby gate instead of using the door? Pretty sure I had a pancake on a paper plate and was trying to fall gracefully and not drop the pancake. Probably saved the pancake and hurt my other pancake.

I don't consider myself that accident prone, but my kids are. Now, Thursday was pretty bad. I didn't see dd's toy and I slipped carrying laundry. I have a bruise on my palm. On my palm! lol. My other one feels bruised, but it's not really visible. Maybe I am more accident prone than I'd like to admit...

• Like 1

My son required 12 stitches to a finger earlier this year from one of those. He wasn't cleaning it though. He was playing with it! He liked the vibration of the center of the blade part on his finger tip. Until he nearly severed it Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€™.

Oh my goodness...sorry to hear that. Thankfully, my blades are not the razor sharp type. This is a very old model and the blades are shaped oddly and are sort of blunted. I got cut, but not bad, more of a blunt trauma with horrible bruising around it.

When I bought my first pair of padded cycling shorts I disregarded the warning to not wear underwear with them. Going commando just seemed so wrong...what if I had an accident and went to the ER with NO underwear?? Ok, so 25 miles later I was very sore. My girl parts were rubbed raw and for days every time I peed or took a shower it HURT. 

I only made that particular mistake one time. 

I currently have a giant bruise on my calf (think saucer sized at least) and for the life of me couldn't figure out how I got it. Finally figured out that my new van has a seat I can raise up, which I do, but then when scrambling down out of it I was banging my calf on the door frame. Over and over and over and over again. With no memory of doing it because it only hurt a little each time and I hurt myself so often it wasn't worth noticing. 

OH! Almost forgot. I was teaching someone the proper way to use a "catch pole" in a veterinary clinic. Except I was doing it wrong, and the springy thing slammed the pole part right up into my face. I had a big swollen, bloody lip due to my hubris. The people watching couldn't quite believe I even managed to do it, it was totally ridiculous. 

• Like 1

My brother was the clutz in our family. His most spectacular mess was when he was 18. While installing a stereo in his car he wired something backward and set the underneath of his car on fire while he was still under it. While beating out the fire with his hand, he sliced it open requiring numerous stitches.

• Like 1

I cut my hand on a new knife because I was admiring how sharp the blade was, by swiping my hand down it.

I'm still laughing at heartlikealion punching herself in the face. I've done that too, while adjusting a blanket.

:lol: same, I keep replaying it in my brain

• Like 3

I have had the most ER trips and the most broken bones of anyone in my family.

Once many years ago, I was mixing a large batch of stuffing in a Pyrex mixing bowl. For some reason, I had the bowl sitting on the stove, and I did not realize that the burner was still on low. I picked up the bowl and move it to the counter next to the sink where here happened to be a small puddle of water. A few seconds later as I was using my hands to mix up the stuffing, the bowl exploded and shards of the glass took two very deep gouges out of my pinky and ring finger of my right hand. I did not think it was a big deal at first, but two hours later it was still bleeding so I went to the ER. I sat in the waiting room with a very bloody dish towel wrapped around my hand continuing to bleed.

When I got to a room, the doctor poked around a bit and decided hpto stich it up hoping that would help,stop the bleeding. He walked out of the room to get supplies and came back a minute or two later, and my finger had finally stopped bleeding. I was discharged with only a bandaid.

A few years ago I was getting physical therapy for a knee injury and the intake form asked me to list any broken bones. There was not enough room on the form for me to list everything.

• Like 1

I sliced into my fingernail, drawing blood, just after relating the story about how dd sliced her fingernail pretty deep 2 weeks before USA Climbing Nationals.  

The worst was trying to avoid a ticket for being in a handicapped spot.  I was unloading for an event I was working at a health club, but the organizer was late and didn't make arrangements for me to have a safe place to unload from.  The front desk told me where to park, so I did.  As I was moving my cart into the building, another employee pointed out that I was actually blocking the handicap spot and I was about to get a ticket.  I spun around to run to my car to move it.  But, alas, I ran into a window instead of the door.  I saw stars and got a nasty bloody nose.  I finally staggered to the car, bleeding all over myself, and got to the car just before she started to write a ticket.  

Hmm... I once forgot to double check and tighten the saddle on a horse. I just hopped on her and she took off. Ex racehorse. After what seemed like forever, saddle slid off and so did I, right on the gravel road. I had scrapes all up my back and cuts across my palms from pulling the reins so hard (not the she cared at all.) In hind sight, I'm glad because she was headed straight for a cattle guard and the whole time I was yanking on those reins I was thinking, "Oh my God, what if she doesn't jump?? She'll break a leg! Oh my God, what if she jumps?? I've never jumped on a horse before!" Either way, it could have been much worse for me falling during a jump, and possibly worse for the horse. As soon as I fell off she stopped and turned and looked at me like I was an idiot.

My father once landed himself in the hospital with a concussion from standing under a tree branch... while sawing it off with a chain saw. It was like he was in a cartoon. ;)

• Like 2

I have had the most ER trips and the most broken bones of anyone in my family.

Once many years ago, I was mixing a large batch of stuffing in a Pyrex mixing bowl. For some reason, I had the bowl sitting on the stove, and I did not realize that the burner was still on low. I picked up the bowl and move it to the counter next to the sink where here happened to be a small puddle of water. A few seconds later as I was using my hands to mix up the stuffing, the bowl exploded and shards of the glass took two very deep gouges out of my pinky and ring finger of my right hand. I did not think it was a big deal at first, but two hours later it was still bleeding so I went to the ER. I sat in the waiting room with a very bloody dish towel wrapped around my hand continuing to bleed.

When I got to a room, the doctor poked around a bit and decided hpto stich it up hoping that would help,stop the bleeding. He walked out of the room to get supplies and came back a minute or two later, and my finger had finally stopped bleeding. I was discharged with only a bandaid.

A few years ago I was getting physical therapy for a knee injury and the intake form asked me to list any broken bones. There was not enough room on the form for me to list everything.

Nine people in our family and only three broken bones. You must've taken all of ours.

My oldest broke her elbow in her sleep. She had a bad dream and flipped herself over violently hyperextending her elbow. It was bizarre.

Not a story about me, but about someone I once worked with. One of her kids ran into the house to tell her that her son had broken his leg out in the driveway (compound fracture, so everyone was frantic). She spun around and dashed toward the door, but tripped over the cat and fell against the counter, breaking her own arm.

And one more about friends. My roommate went skiing and broke her leg. We happened to live across the street from the hospital at the time, and while the friends she was with were walking back to our house after the ER visit, one of them fell in the street and broke his arm. The same group of people had to turn around and go right back to the same ER again.

I somehow, and am still not sure 9 years later exactly how, slammed my own finger in the door of my vehicle. Hard. I yanked my finger out, and the door was shut tight. I had just finished buckling my kids into their car seats to go home.. It hurt so bad that the pain radiated throughout the whole right side of my body, made me nauseous, and gave me a headache. Luckily, I was at my parents' house and my Dad was standing right next to me as it happened. I went back in to the house while my Dad unbuckled the kids and brought them back in, because I was in too much pain to drive and needed to doctor my finger.

The finger was not broken, but it took a long time to stop hurting. Probably about a month.

My legs are also often randomly bruised and I have no idea how I got them, but when I think I'll get a bruise from a hard knock, it won't bruise.

Two "lucky it wasn't way worse" incidents I had:

1) DH and I were disassembling our adjustable, portable basketball net to get ready for a move. The adustable part is operated by big springs like on a trampoline. I wobbled while I was holding the bar as DH took the bolt out. The springs contracted and slammed the heavy duty metal bar right down on my forearm. It hurt for few minutes, but did not bruise. If my arm was 1/4" either direction, that bar probably would have smashed my bones into shards.

2) This spring I was sitting in a lawn chair beside the dugout at DS's ballgame with the other parents. DS had stepped out behind the dugout to warm up and practice his swing with a couple other kids. He had his back to us and extended his follow-through backswing a little too far. He caught me right across the jaw bone from ear to chin. My head reverberated so hard, I could literally hear it vibrating, and felt like it was going to pop off my shoulders from instant pressure. Luckily, I has just turned my head away from DS's direction to speak to another parent so the angle of my face and the angle of the bat were parallel. Once again, the pain was only bad for a few minutes and my face did not bruise, at all. If I was looking ahead or slightly to the right toward DS, it probably would've broken my jaw due to a more direct hit. I'm also lucky that I wasn't sitting a little lower or DS wasn't a little taller, or he would've got me in the temple.

Edited by fraidycat

This wasn't me, but remember those Flicker brand "safety" razors? My best friend (I guess when we were around middle school age -- age to start shaving) got one of those. Said her mom got it for her because it was a safety razor & you couldn't cut yourself. She's saying this as she's rapidly swiping it across the palm of her hand to demonstrate this to me. What it demonstrated was that safety razors can indeed cut skin... quite a lot of it. :scared:  and :laugh:

With a different friend (middle school age again), I was on a porch swing under our deck. The yard was really sloped & the deck was quite high (more like a story & a half, rather than just one story). My friend & I used to like to swing on it until we got high enough to put our forearms flat against the bottom of the deck. So we were doing that & were at the apex of the swing when I heard a pop. I looked to the left (the side I was on) & started seeing life in slow-motion. The chain on my side of the swing was slowly floating downward through the air. Next thing I remember, I was sitting on the far side of our yard. My friend was in the dirt/mud underneath the swing w/ the swing half-hanging on top of her. The eyebolt snapped. When my side came loose, it flung my end of the swing wildly out & I flew out. I'm lucky I didn't hit deck posts or our fence. I must have blacked out briefly as I flew through the air. When the end whipped back, my friend was dumped out & the swing landed on her. Our biggest concern was that she was wearing a pair of new white shorts & her mom was going to kill her for getting the shorts dirty. My mom washed & cloroxed the shorts about 4 times for my friend before she went home. :lol:

Another middle school story. Two guys were goofing off, shoving each other around in the hall. I was getting stuff out of my locker & my right hand was up on the top shelf getting my books. One of the guys slammed into my locker door. The metal was flimsy enough that it bent with my hand still in the locker & LOCKED shut. I had to use my left hand to do the combination to unlock my locker because I couldn't pull my hand out.

I've broken my arm (roller skating), but that was fairly normal. (My sister had one arm in a cast & one arm in a sling at the same time, from different incidents.)

Last year, I was pet-sitting for my sister. A tropical storm blew through & knocked out power. After it was out about 14 hours, the house was so hot, I thought her dogs would keel over from heat exhaustion. I took them out in the backyard at 3am, figuring it had to be cooler out there. It was pitch black (cloudy, no lights anywhere in the area). Suddenly, I heard a splash. I thought the dumb one of her dogs had fallen in her pool. I turned to run toward the direction of the splash & hit her other dog (huge black lab -- the oversized ones -- are those English? -- about the size of a small pony) at full speed. It catapulted me over him & I landed sprawled out on the concrete. I had been holding a decently large flashlight & I think that saved my face as my arm was crushed under me but that kept my head off the concrete. My legs were ripped up (I was in shorts) & the tops AND bottoms of my toes were sliced & diced (wearing flip-flops). I am lucky I didn't knock myself out &/or fall into the pool while knocked out. After rolling over onto my back, I realized that both dogs were staring down at me (so obviously the dog hadn't fallen into the pool). I then realized the reason I could see them staring at me was that the power had just come back on; the noise I heard was the pool pump kicking in & gurgling loudly because of all the trash/debris in the pool. I limped into the house & could find only ONE band-aid in the entire house. I slapped it on the biggest cut (under my knee), not cleaning any of my wounds. At that point, I hurt so badly but was so glad for A/C & sleep that I fell in to bed & figured I would deal with infections or gangrene the next day. :laugh: I ended up sitting on/leaning against ice packs for days afterward because I hurt so badly from the impact. I guess it was similar to being in a car crash.

A couple of weeks ago, I opened my car door too quickly & jammed the top corner into the soft tissue right above my collarbone. I must have had internal bruising for quite awhile because it hurt for many, many days & my shoulder has some residual pain from it even now.

My sister has always been known as the klutz of the family, though. I'm the normal one who usually doesn't get hurt.

Another one. When I was a kid, I went running out onto our screen porch. Except the sliding screen door to the screen porch was closed, but not quite. (I guess I didn't see it because it was dusk.) I hit the metal edge of the screen door so hard with my face that it actually bent into a profile shape of my forehead & nose.

Just the other day I was trying to move a wheeled office chair and slipped half grabbed half sat on the chair and rolled off slightly twisting my ankle. I was on the phone at the time. Glad it wasn't Skype...

I've also done the blanket thing... And burnt my pregnancy belly with the iron when I didn't realise my shirt wasn't covering all

I tend to not remember things like that (self preservation instinct), but I have a couple:

Trying to save time, I was carrying my computer and two half-full cups of coffee / water down the stairs.  Slipped.  Trying to save my computer and the carpet, I neglected to save my a$$ and ended up breaking my tailbone.

Chopping potatoes.  Rushing.  Someone suggested helping me.  Offended, I cut faster and chopped off a good slice of my fingertip.  Needed a number of stitches.  Typing my work that evening was excruciating (I kept forgetting the index finger was off limits.)

Oh another one:  my first real trip.  I was young and strong and carrying 2 big international suitcases, at least 100lbs total.  At Grand Central Station and my friend (also new to this gig) encouraged me to hurry down the steps to the subway as the train was arriving.  I heaved the suitcases forward so they would clear the steps as I ran down.  Unfortunately, when you heave 100+ pounds of suitcase and you are only about 125 lbs yourself, that screws up your balance and you go down the stairs head-first.  It's hilarious in retrospect.  Many people thought they were witnessing a death.  :P  I was pretty dirty afterwards, but not badly hurt.  (Thankfully I was wearing a very thick coat which protected my body.)  Funny thing was that I need not have hurried, as that train comes every 5 minutes or so.

Once my dad threatened my mom that he'd stick her in the a$$ with a pin if she cussed one more time.  My mom replied "F--- you" so my dad went and got a pin.  Mom and dad are laughing and chasing around the house until Dad bangs his toe on a kid's table.  Broken toe.  It was hard not to laugh.  Must have been fun explaining that one to the doctor.  :P

On the way out the door to birth #4 AND THEN #5, I stopped to wash random glasses in the sink. Broke them and cut myself both times. The first one was so minor it didn't bother me, but I had a nurse peek at the second one in case it needed stitches. Laboring with a sliced thumb stinks!

I broke my foot walking my dogs. They weren't pulling or anything, I'm just bad at walking.

I smack my head on the light/storage thing in the ceiling of my front seat every time I forget to empty my back pockets and have to lift my tush to save my phone or my cheek from key stabs.

I don't know how my head hasn't broken the flip down screen in the back seat yet. And I only go back there if car seats need installing or removing.

My mom falls all. the. time. (She's only 64, and it's always been her thing.) It almost always results in serious medical treatment. I don't know what we're going to do with her when she's elderly!

I once sharpened a huge pile of pencils, put them point up in a desk organiser then leant over it to grab something and managed to pierce my wrist with one of the freshly sharpened leads. Right in one of the very visible blood vessels, there was copious amounts of blood and I still have a mark several years later. Has made me very wary of sharpened pencils.

I also badly sprained my ankle texting while walking. Fell in a hole in the pavement. Felt a total idiot. It was a bad sprain and took several months to heal. I now stand still to text or check my phone.

• Like 1

I cut my hand on a new knife because I was admiring how sharp the blade was, by swiping my hand down it.

I'm still laughing at heartlikealion punching herself in the face. I've done that too, while adjusting a blanket.

I've done that. i was at girl scout camp and was checking to see if my brand new scouting knife was sharp. With my thumb. 

I broke my toe as a teen by dropping a drawer on it. It was a dresser drawer that didn't have a "real" drawer pull; it had little half-moon cut-outs where you place your hands. I had emptied the drawer of contents earlier, but I forgot this, so when I pulled it, it was too light for the force I was using. It slid all the way out and fell right on my toe. All the expletives

The worst part was my sister made fun of me behind my back and my parents did not take me to the doctor.

My son did this with a tomahawk ax. For a little while, he was all into weaponry - Katana blades, throwing knives, swords - and he bought a tomahawk. Opened the package, admired it, then cut his hand open swiping the "beautiful" blade.

I broke my finger by putting my hand in my pocket. I was about 12, and we were camping. My brother and I had had a race, and we were walking back to our campsite and I reached into my front pocket to get something out, and the next morning I woke up and my pinky was about 3x normal size. Yep, broken.

Cutting an apple required 12 stitches in my finger - my DH winces every time he sees me with a kitchen knife now (and he bought me a safety apple cutter). 

I broke my toe by hopping over a puddle in the garage. I hopped over it and ran my foot into a shovel, bending the pinky toe back and slicing it requiring 6 stitches.

I knocked myself out getting in the car one time - you know how sometimes you'll hit your head on the top of the car getting in or out (maybe that's just me?). I actually did it hard enough to pass out one time.

I've done the punch-myself-in-the-face-adjusting-the-blanket thing.  :laugh:

Family ones:

We were broker than broke and some bees moved into our house wall. We couldn't afford an exterminator, so DH decided to spray them. He fell off the ladder, twisting his knee on the way down. He required 6 months of expensive physical therapy.

We had to postpone a vacation because the wind caught my dd's car door when she was getting out of the back seat. It whapped my other dd who was getting out of the front seat on the back, knocking her to the ground and twisting her knee.

My youngest got a concussion on a tiny little kid water slide - she slid too far to one side on the only curve and whacked her head on the side of it. Fortunately, my DH was catching her at the bottom. 

Although I feel for each and every one of you, I also confess that I am laughing at these. Dh thinks I've lost my mind. He just looked at me and walked out of the room....I think he knew that whatever I am laughing at is something he wouldn't understand. And he's right- I'm sitting here laughing at other people's clumsy injuries. 

• Like 2

My Mom always called me grace luckily I've not ever had any serious injuries though. I tend to run into things and randomly drop stuff. 

I dropped a shampoo on my bottle a couple years back and still have a scar on my toe. Poor ds accidentally dropped a chicken on his big toe and lost his toenail. Dd2 dropped a kindle on her toe the day of her dance performance, poor thing, she ended up losing her toenail too!

I stuck my finger in an immersion blender while it was running (I noticed with my new one it now has 2 buttons to push to operate it so I guess all of us that have done that are in good company).

I accidentally pulled my bed on my toe, lost a toenail for that one. 

On my first date with dh I put my index finger in the top of his e-brake, it was right in the middle. So, when he stopped and pulled it up really fast my finger got caught in there. I then just sat there like an idiot, too hurt and stunned to talk, he figured out what had happened and released it down. We were both so embarrassed. He thought I might never want to see him again, I just felt stupid I had done it. 

My husband broke his toe coming after me to grab my butt. We were horsing around and I was running and he ran into a chair or something. 

Edited by soror

I drop darn near every single thing I pick up. One day, I was washing a nice, sharp Cutco chef's knife and dropped it. It landed, blade first, right in between my pinky and ring finger of my other hand. Why? Because silly me was trying to catch it.  :glare: It went as deep as possible in that area. I probably could have used stitches but I was at my dad's house and he was like, hey, I've got some Dermabond! Well, we attempted to doctor it up ourselves. The thing with Dermabond is that you want to get the edges of the cut pressed together and then the glue can hold it. That didn't work so well in between my fingers. In order to get the applicator in there, I had to spread my fingers open, which in turn, spread the cut open. So, the cut filled with the glue. By the next morning it hurt like crazy so I peeled the Dermabond off. Being stubborn, I just wrapped it up in gauze and taped my fingers together. Luckily, it did heal. 

This one is a real doozy. It was the middle of the night in a new house and I had to go potty. It was dark in the room. In the old house, the doors were painted white against a darker colored wall. In the new house, the doors were painted dark grey against a lighter colored wall. Do you see where this is going? I walked straight into the door thinking it was open since the door area was dark. Hard. The same night I bashed my shins into the cedar chest at the foot of the bed which wasn't there in the old house. I ran into it on the way to the bathroom and on the way back.  :cursing:

Although I feel for each and every one of you, I also confess that I am laughing at these. Dh thinks I've lost my mind. He just looked at me and walked out of the room....I think he knew that whatever I am laughing at is something he wouldn't understand. And he's right- I'm sitting here laughing at other people's clumsy injuries. 

I can't help it either. If I see someone trip in public, I bust out laughing. If they look like they might have sustained an actual injury, I don't laugh, but otherwise, I just can't help myself.

• Like 2

Between this thread, the irrational fears, and floating goldfish thread, I have been getting lots of laugh therapy.

• Like 2

Back when my kids went to school and were bringing home every germ known to humankind, I used to get bronchitis frequently. Twice, I coughed so hard that I broke a rib. Sooo painful...

A couple years ago, I was walking in the door while carrying a large pizza box. I stumbled and ran into the door frame and the corner of the pizza box jammed right into my *ahem* chest area, leaving a huge bruise. A few days later, I was at the doctor for my yearly exam and she was aghast over how I managed to get such a big, ugly bruise in that location.  :blushing: 

I have been bucked off, stepped on, kicked and bitten by horses more times than I count over my lifetime. You'd think I would learn my lesson and give it up, but I just keep coming back for more.  :rolleyes:   

There have been lots of little ones--for instance, the bruise I have on my big toe where the tobasco sauce fell out of the fridge onto it the other day. But the most recent one that has affected me the most is of the same nature as those you see on T.V. where freak things happen to people. As Harvey moved across land after the hurricane, we had really strong winds one day. My mother had had surgery, and I was at her house, taking her big trash can out to the road for garbage pickup. As I was walking out there, pushing the trash can, the wind whipped up the lid of the trash can and blew it backwards, smacking me hard in the face. Thankfully, I was looking a little bit to the side, and it didn't hit my nose. It stunned me a bit and bent my glasses (to the point where I had to take them to the optometrist to get them fixed). However, a couple of days later, I started having excruciating shooting pains on the left side of my head. After trying to fight it with rest and ibuprofen, I finally went to my doctor. Apparently, I damaged a nerve, and am now on some medication that will hopefully help it clear up and heal. :P