Menu

Who's the Principal in your homeschool?

luuknam

111 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to pick, who's the Principal in your house?

• Me
    • My spouse/partner
    • Me by default because there is no spouse/partner
    • My spouse/partner by default because there is no me
    • I really, really, really refuse to pick

We usually put dh down as principal (I think we did that on the diplomas of the ones who have graduated) but it always strikes me as silly.

He's not the principal. I do 99.9% of everything school related, grades pre-k through 12, excepting for fewer than two dozen math lessons (spread amongst four children over twenty years) and one college visit.

He's not the principal. He's the money.

• Like 15

I'm out of likes - consider yourselves liked. Teddy bear is an awesome answer!

It's not just an ordinary teddy bear. It's TED. He has an amazing back story. Eldest interviewed him for a writing project and wrote about him. Tomorrow I'll ask Eldest if I could post the essay here.

• Like 4

I picked the second-to-last option, because it made me giggle.

Really, mostly I'm with Jean on this. Dh is in charge of grocery shopping, and games, and pizza, and tooth-brushing.  And earning what we need to pay for everything, mostly.  

No one. We're not a school. Some times we joke that Dh is the principal but it's only a joke. He has no administrative power. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

legally, me. D has never appeared on any paperwork regarding the children's schooling. that sounds weird, but I do the overwhelming majority of the childcare, and everything relating to their care outside the home-doctor's visits, therapies, schooling, extracurriculars. all me. 

d is the financier. He provides funding, insurance, and he pays bills. We discuss major decisions, like whether or not to enroll in virtual or b&m school, we set a budget together, I bounce ideas off him when I can't make a decision on my own. 

• Like 3

My dh used to be the principal then I decided he wasn't. I am the one who decides everything on the homeschool front, it is my research, my shopping, my choosings, etc. He's so freaking laid back on dealing with the kids anyway...He is the counselor sometimes, maybe. 

Maybe he is in charge of the "cafeteria" since he fixes most of the meals. 

• Like 2

It's not just an ordinary teddy bear. It's TED. He has an amazing back story. Eldest interviewed him for a writing project and wrote about him. Tomorrow I'll ask Eldest if I could post the essay here.

Still out of likes. Do ask, do tell. 

I was being silly and making a bit of a dungeons and dragons reference in my head :)

Oh, okay.

legally, me. D has never appeared on any paperwork regarding the children's schooling. 

I write my spouse down on every IHIP, as a "the vast majority of instruction is provided by [me] and [spouse]", since NY law says the parents have to do the majority of instruction in order to legally homeschool, but in reality, she's done barely anything that could count as teaching. I guess some stuff that's PE. I'm not even sure why I bother to write her down, but, thinking about it now, I'm guessing I should definitely include her, in case something were to happen to me that would make me temporarily or permanently incapable of homeschooling, and she were to take over for some amount of time. It would save her from having to file an amendment to the IHIP.

• Like 1

No one. We're not a school. Some times we joke that Dh is the principal but it's only a joke. He has no administrative power. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Legally speaking, per our state's requirements, one of us has to be the Supervisor. We have chosen that to be me, because I do the day to day homeschooling, planning, making sure we fulfill the law, etc. DH does not appear anywhere on any official Homeschool paperwork, except in the place on our affidavit where I attest that nobody in my home has been convicted of a felony. We call dh the Principal, so that's how I voted, because he's there to support the teacher, emotionally and financially, but I make most of the actual educational decisions. Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1

We usually put dh down as principal (I think we did that on the diplomas of the ones who have graduated) but it always strikes me as silly.

He's not the principal. I do 99.9% of everything school related, grades pre-k through 12, excepting for fewer than two dozen math lessons (spread amongst four children over twenty years) and one college visit.

You sound like me. He was supposed to do more than he has...I have planz for him to teach history because I hate that subject and he loves it and knows so much. We shall see.

I can't remember. When we filled out the notice of intent when we first started homeschooling we had to designate two positions on the form, like maybe principal and administrator or principal/administrator and instructor/teacher or something like that. I do remember we put me down for one and DH for the other, figuring it would be a good idea to have both of our names on there. In reality I filled the roles of teacher, staff and administration.  ;)

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

I put dh only because in the third place we homeschooled (CA) we filed as a private school rather than go under another homeschool oriented private school. That is (or was) the typical way homeschoolers were able to homeschool;  The form had a place for two officials so I can't remember if it was principal or supervisor but dh's name went there and my name went in the second box which had to do with teachers. or something.  Then we put down how many students we had and promised something about teaching earthquake and fire safety and maybe something else and sent it in. 

s

• Like 1

Still out of likes. Do ask, do tell. 

The Story of the Greatest Teddy to Ever Exist

What is the real story behind the teddy who inspired the Superted cartoon hero from the 1980s? Who trained Chuck Norris in martial arts, and where is he now?

A teddy bear factory produced a bear of such awesomeness that he sent off continuous waves of awesomeness. They named him Ted and placed him on a magnificent pedestal. Meanwhile abroad in the galaxy, an alien felt waves of awesomeness emanating from a planet and went to investigate. The alien, known as Spotty Man, waited until night and then quietly snuck in to steal Ted. Sprinkling magic dust on him to bring him to life was the first thing Spotty Man did after getting back to the ship. In addition to bringing Ted to life, the magic powder interacted with his awesomeness to imbue him with mind control powers and great knowledge. Together they made a superhero team consisting of Ted, now known as Superted, and the Spotty Man. They then continuously saved the world. Repeatedly saving the world ran Spotty Man’s supply of magic dust dry, and he needed to return to his home planet (which was approximately 133 light years away) to restock.

Longing for a new crime fighting partner, Ted went searching for one. On March 10, 1940, Ted entered a hospital and found, then recruited, a newborn baby who would need Ted to become a crime fighting master later in life. Despite being a mere mortal, and a baby at that, Ted trained the baby, Chuck Norris, Taekwondo and other martial arts. Many year later, they joined the US air force and became celebrated heroes. Ted, using the last of his magic dust, taught Chuck many things that most humans would never be able to do, such as rubbing two ice cubes together to make fire, how to have a staring contest with the sun and win, and how to make a snowman out of rain. After some time, Chuck started starring in Hollywood movies, but not including Ted, so Ted left to find something else to do.

Consequently in the year 2005, Ted found a new place to live. It was a quiet empty house with lots of places to put beds, of which he had recently become quite fond. His plan was to use this house to rest up and enjoy himself, until the Spotty Man returned. After a day or so, some new humans moved in, and since Ted was too tired to care, he let the humans stay in his house. The man's birthmarks reminded Ted of the Spotty Man. The woman had a big belly and she snuggled Ted a lot. There was also a little Ted sized boy who liked playing with Ted. Even with the humans living in the house, it was still calm enough for Ted, and they bought lots of beds that Ted could sleep on.  In the end Ted allowed the humans to stay.

So let us be thankful that Ted existed. He saved the world so we could still live in it. But more importantly, he trained Chuck Norris so that he could carry on Ted’s legacy.

Edited by Julie Smith
  • Like 8

Please help this ESL person understand the difference. And you can vote who your headmaster is instead - I'm not picky.

At one private school we tried (Pre-K to 12) there was a headmaster for the entire school and separate principals for the Early Learning (PreK-K), Lower (grades 1-6), and Upper (grades 8-12) schools within the school.

I don't know if it's the same way elsewhere.

This matches us for the most part.  I do the teaching and all of the admin work, and DH provides the funds and does whatever I might ask him to do.  This summer he has started working on math with our eldest because she requested it.  We might keep that going, because DH has a stronger math background and DD seems to be getting things more readily in this set-up.  He also teaches our kids and our niblings robotics, 3D printing, CDC routering, and other tech-y stuff as they show interest.

DH was filling out some form the other day and said it wanted to know the name of our school administrator.  I told him to put me down.  He asked (jokingly) why not him (since I was already down as teacher) and I started listing all of the administration duties I dealt with.  I told him he was the financial officer on the board of directors and adjunct teaching staff.

What is the real story behind the teddy who inspired the Superted cartoon hero from the 1980s? Who trained Chuck Norris in martial arts, and where is he now?

A teddy bear factory produced a bear of such awesomeness that he sent off continuous waves of awesomeness. They named him Ted and placed him on a magnificent pedestal. Meanwhile abroad in the galaxy, an alien felt waves of awesomeness emanating from a planet and went to investigate. The alien, known as Spotty Man, waited until night and then quietly snuck in to steal Ted. Sprinkling magic dust on him to bring him to life was the first thing Spotty Man did after getting back to the ship. In addition to bringing Ted to life, the magic powder interacted with his awesomeness to imbue him with mind control powers and great knowledge. Together they made a superhero team consisting of Ted, now known as Superted, and the Spotty Man. They then continuously saved the world. Repeatedly saving the world ran Spotty Man’s supply of magic dust dry, and he needed to return to his home planet (which was approximately 133 light years away) to restock.

Longing for a new crime fighting partner, Ted went searching for one. On March 10, 1940, Ted entered a hospital and found, then recruited, a newborn baby who would need Ted to become a crime fighting master later in life. Despite being a mere mortal, and a baby at that, Ted trained the baby, Chuck Norris, Taekwondo and other martial arts. Many year later, they joined the US air force and became celebrated heroes. Ted, using the last of his magic dust, taught Chuck many things that most humans would never be able to do, such as rubbing two ice cubes together to make fire, how to have a staring contest with the sun and win, and how to make a snowman out of rain. After some time, Chuck started starring in Hollywood movies, but not including Ted, so Ted left to find something else to do.

Consequently in the year 2005, Ted found a new place to live. It was a quiet empty house with lots of places to put beds, of which he had recently become quite fond. His plan was to use this house to rest up and enjoy himself, until the Spotty Man returned. After a day or so, some new humans moved in, and since Ted was too tired to care, he let the humans stay in his house. The man's birthmarks reminded Ted of the Spotty Man. The woman had a big belly and she snuggled Ted a lot. There was also a little Ted sized boy who liked playing with Ted. Even with the humans living in the house, it was still calm enough for Ted, and they bought lots of beds that Ted could sleep on.  In the end Ted allowed the humans to stay.

So let us be thankful that Ted existed. He saved the world so we could still live in it. But more importantly, he trained Chuck Norris so that he could carry on Ted’s legacy.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:   Wonderful!!!!

I'm the principal teacher and chief administrator, unofficially functioning as a school board (setting the calendar and dress code, for example), curriculum coordinator, janitor, field trip chaperone and driver, testing coordinator, lunch lady, office manager, guidance counselor, playground monitor, etc.

DH is listed as an instructor but only does computer science, chess club, and some of PE and recess. He's also our IT guy.

DS is the student body president, and the kitty is our class pet.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 2

This. Legally speaking, per our state's requirements, one of us has to be the Supervisor. We have chosen that to be me, because I do the day to day homeschooling, planning, making sure we fulfill the law, etc. DH does not appear anywhere on any official Homeschool paperwork, except in the place on our affidavit where I attest that nobody in my home has been convicted of a felony. We call dh the Principal, so that's how I voted, because he's there to support the teacher, emotionally and financially, but I make most of the actual educational decisions.

Same here!

me, but I prefer the title of Overlord...

Same here, too!

Actually, I refer to DH & myself as "The Benevolent Overlords."

DH does occasional special school days, such as when he stayed home while I was at jury duty. I do zero planning for those, whatever he does is fine. He is also the Evening Chauffeur, and dishwasher.

Edited by Rebel Yell

:001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub:

• Like 1

To be clear, this is meant as a silly poll.

Actually, I'm serious. In California, when we file our Private School Affadavidit every year, we have to list the Principal and the Administrator. So, I decided that since I'm there hands-one every day, I would be the principal. That left DH to be the administrator.

I just watched an old Mary Tyler Moore Show rerun and Maury spells "principal" as "principle."  

She says, "Oh, everyone should remember that!  The principal is your pal."

I have never heard that, but this thread reminded me of it!