Menu

S/o Do you iron your sheets?

MamaBearTeacher

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

If this is a serious question, no, I don't iron - period - sheets or anything else with very, very rare exceptions for other clothes - like maybe once every other year exceptions if something comes up that requires a certain piece of clothing and it's wrinkled for whatever reason.

• Like 14

LOL Maybe I should have asked if anyone irons at all anymore or if anyone owns an iron or if anyone knows what an iron is or if they still sell them. I, myself, have probably used one about 5-6 times in the past 15 years so I understand. I probably don't know how to iron well enough to iron sheets in a way that would make them look any different.

• Like 5

When my MIL lived with us and was nearing the end of her life, I did iron her sheets because she was extremely picky about textures and such. It pleased her to have perfectly smooth but soft sheets. So I ironed her Pottery Barn lavender sheets lol

I grew up ironing pillowcases, but now I don't iron bedding at all.

• Like 8

my grandmother and her sister ironed sheets - I loved the feel of ironed sheets when I stayed with them. I do wonder what else they used, as the smell was different too.  I've occasionally ironed the band at the top of a top sheet. (when creases wouldn't come out any other way.)  my mother ironed nothing.

mostly I iron dh's dress shirts (wrinkle free aren't crisp.)  and linen tablecloths/napkins.  (which are only used for china/silver/crystal dinners.  otherwise it's microfiber.)

I don't iron sheets, but I do iron my shirts. I can't stand the feel of polyester, so all my shirts are either 100% cotton (most of the wrinkle-free shirts feel bad too), 100% linen, and I have a few rayon shirts that I can wear. 

But, if I can, I try to convince my girls to iron for me!

Iron? What is this iron you speak of?

I do own one and use it occasionally but only if I have to.

This is the joke at our house! I had an iron. It disappeared sometimes during our last two moves. Along with the board. I am ironless. I do own a steamer. And am on first name basis with the Dry Cleaners. They do my ironing for me!! :) I looked at irons not too long ago at Walmart and they were more expensive than I remembered. I would rather support local business I decided. ;)

True story--I have an aunt who is an uber-housewife. She irons her husband's work shirts twice. The first time before she hangs them because she "hates seeing a closet full of wrinkly shirts" and the second time before he wears them "to get rid of the hanging lines".

• Like 1

I iron button down shirts and some dresses. We prefer cotton and linen fabrics and don't like the coatings on the wrinkle free shirts.

The idea of wearing clothes bathed in formaldehyde does not really appeal to me, for a variety of reasons.

But sheets? No way.

Edited by regentrude

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

If this is a serious question, no, I don't iron - period - sheets or anything else with very, very rare exceptions for other clothes - like maybe once every other year exceptions if something comes up that requires a certain piece of clothing and it's wrinkled for whatever reason.

This! I recently dragged the iron and board out to iron DD's dress for prom. Both the tulle overlayer and the satin-y underskirt were terribly wrinkled. Thankfully the bodice wasn't, because I don't know how I would have managed that part. Otherwise...not if I can otherwise avoid it!

My first tactic before resorting to ironing is to throw the item in damp into the dryer.  LOL

I avoid buying clothing that will need to be ironed. 

Also this. I wish I'd known about this tactic my whole life. I actually first heard about it here, sometime in the last 7-8 years. I hate synthetic fabrics too and try to buy mostly cotton, and this even works for the thin cotton tees. 

I know that I'll have to teach my kids to iron at some point, because it's a skill they'll need eventually. But I don't want to!

• Like 1

I own an iron.  I even know where it is and how to use it.   It's seen more use for Fuse Beads and other crafts than it ever has for clothes.  And never for bedding.

Dh's work button-downs are mostly "wrinkle-free" so I just hang them out of the dryer.  He has one or two dressier shirts that he wears with suits and those might need an occasional ironing.  He only wears a suit once or twice a year, and I only have to iron them if he doesn't have time to send them out to the cleaners to be done.  

I avoid buying things that need to be ironed because I know it will never, ever happen and that item will not be worn.

• Like 1

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

No.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:iagree:

ETA: I don't iron anything at all actually. My iron is used for art projects much more often than flattening clothes. :)

Edited by Mimm
  • Like 3

Nope.

It could be, though, that the materials sheets used to be made with were uncomfortable without ironing.  I really don't know.

My mom never ironed our sheets, but I remember her telling me about someone who did.  :P  More power to 'em.

I used to iron my work shirts and pants (business casual) when I had an office job in a "professional environment."  I probably could have done without that though.  :P

Now I'm not sure where our iron is, if we even still have one.  :P  I have only used it in recent years to attempt to attach scout badges (mostly without success).

Another voice to the chorus of 'nope'!  Our iron gets used for perler beads and the occasional sewing project if I'm feeling really fussy (rarely happens).

As DH has moved towards a dress shirt every day at work during the last 5 years, we have moved away from dry cleaning (too expensive) to buying wrinkle free shirts - if he can't iron his own shirts, they need to come out of the dryer in wearable condition.

My mother ironed everything.  I can't imagine.

I did it once, after reading a book on homekeeping simply because the author talked about how wonderful it felt. She actually owned one of those big roller irons like you'd find in hotels. It was lovely, so smooth, but it wasn't worth the time commitment. Years ago, DH purchased sheets that come out of the dryer ridiculously wrinkled, and I hate the way they feel. Now I buy no-wrinkle sheets for our bed so it's close to the feeling of ironed sheets.

I use my iron maybe once or twice a week. I line dry most of my blouses and they get wrinkly. 

I don't understand how most of you don't need to iron anything. How do you prevent your clothing from being wrinkled? I mean, even after pulling something right out of the dryer it is still a little bit wrinkly. What am I missing here?

Now that I think about it, I find ironing to be soothing. There is something satisfying in turning a crumpled piece of fabric into a smooth, wrinkle-free shirt. It's like I'm able to fix something right away and have it stay nice (at least until it's worn). 

We have a lot of 100% natural clothing and we do a lot of drying wrack drying so yes, we iron clothes when we want to look unwrinkly. Everybody irons their own right before wearing unless they are in a hurry, when someone else does it for them. My husband's work shirts go to the cleaners. I worry about the chemicals.

Nan

Eta we iron the damask tablecloths for holidays but I can't imagine ironing sheets

Edited by Nan in Mass

I use my iron maybe once or twice a week. I line dry most of my blouses and they get wrinkly. 

I don't understand how most of you don't need to iron anything. How do you prevent your clothing from being wrinkled? I mean, even after pulling something right out of the dryer it is still a little bit wrinkly. What am I missing here?

Now that I think about it, I find ironing to be soothing. There is something satisfying in turning a crumpled piece of fabric into a smooth, wrinkle-free shirt. It's like I'm able to fix something right away and have it stay nice (at least until it's worn). 

When I fold clothes, I try to do it right after the cycle is done. Most things are not wrinkly, but even things that are a bit wrinkly will smooth out once folded and cooled off. If I don't get to a load until it's been sitting for awhile (even days), I dampen a sock (or use something damp from the next load), toss it back in the dryer, and run it for a couple of minutes. That's almost always enough to dewrinkle the majority of the load.

Sometimes I'll be able to fold most of the load and will have just a couple of stubborn items left over. I'll usually just throw them in with the next load and make sure I catch it all coming out.

If your clothes are coming out of the hot dryer all wrinkled, you might want to consider whether you're overloading the dryer. Of course, some fabrics just won't come out unwrinkled. I don't buy those :lol: 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 2

Never the sheets.  Who has the time for that.  Maybe if I had one of those ironers.

I rarely iron.  I do have one and the ironing board.  I use my steamer more often.  I only break out the iron for stubborn creases or if I washed my husband's dress shirts instead of bringing them to the dry cleaner.

I did once. When we were newlyweds and my in-laws were coming to stay with us for a weekend, I ironed the top sheet and pillowcases of the guest bed. I've since given up trying so hard.

Generally DH irons his own shirts, but I used to iron them when I had younger kids who napped well and I wasn't homeschooling. We iron other clothes as needed. It's not a huge deal to me.

Edited by AnnE-girl

I love ironing. I love the peacefulness of it- the swishy noise of the steam and and the beautiful clean laundry smell. It makes me happy. If I had more time I would probably iron a lot more. For now, I regularly iron my husband's work shirts, a few of my shirts or dresses, the napkins for our Sunday dinner, and various other things when needed. I love the crispness of our cloth napkins. It just makes me feel so special with our Sunday dinner. I don't really have time to iron them for everyday. I do have a nice iron that my Grandma gave me before she died- it works wonderfully and reminds me of her.

I don't regularly iron our sheets but just take them warm out of the dryer and put them right on our bed. They are crisp and wrinkle free and so very nice. I bought super high quality ones so that helps too. :)

• Like 4

:smilielol5:  :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:

My grandmother ironed everything, including sheets.  DH's mom used to iron all of her husband's clothes and encouraged the kids to iron theirs.  Some of DH's siblings do but they are bachelors that have jobs where a professional look is expected and they tend to be fairly fastidious anyway.  DH had to adjust to the idea that I only iron clothing in a dire emergency and sheets will never, ever, ever be ironed by me.  

My mom told me that sheets used to be very, very wrinkly if they weren't ironed, so much that it would be hard to sleep on them. 

She says now sheets don't need to be ironed because they just aren't that wrinkly.

Something about the way they are made or what they are made out of, I'm not sure.

This is the joke at our house! I had an iron. It disappeared sometimes during our last two moves. Along with the board. I am ironless. I do own a steamer. And am on first name basis with the Dry Cleaners. They do my ironing for me!! :) I looked at irons not too long ago at Walmart and they were more expensive than I remembered. I would rather support local business I decided. ;)

I have no idea how much you thought they cost, but you can get an iron from Walmart for under $10:

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=iron