Menu

I am on vacation and got bad news about my dog (update in #39)

TravelingChris

I have a corgi poodle rescue. He is boarding at a vet that had really nice boarding facility. This morning g he ate all his food and played in the yard happily. This evening, he wouldn't eat and didn't want to move. They examined him and say he had fluid in his abdomen. His gums are pale do they think he is hemorrhaging. They called me and told me that they think it is either from the spleen or liver. They said they can't do a transfusion but the animal emergency practice can. They asked if I wanted him transferred and I had to say no. It would cost at least 1k for what they would do and he still may very well not make it through the night. They think he may have spleen or liver cancer which would be his second cancer. We took care of his first when we got him because no one thought it was cancer even when it was removed. It had to be diagnosed by our state vet school. Anyway, that cancer he had was usually fatal within a year. He has had 3.5 years since then
We have okayed a blood test, ultrasound, a transfusion if they can get it at the reg vet tomorrow and then we will see. If he is still alive, he will probably have surgery. They also said he might have a spleen injury with no cancer but I don't see how. Nothing has happened with him
Just worried.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by transientChris
  • Like 1

I'm so sorry.  It must be so difficult to be worrying about him and not be able to be there.

That happened to one of our dogs very suddenly a few years ago, and the vet thought that it was most likely caused by a tumor that had burst.  :(

I hope your little guy is okay.   :grouphug:     

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 1

I'm sorry. I hope things work out okay.  :grouphug: We had one of our dogs catch a terrible bug at the vet while boarding this summer. It was very touch and go. I know being away from them makes it all the more nerve wracking. 

If it also helps, one of mine was dx'd with a splenic bleed based on u/s by a vet last July.  She was lethargic & off but didn't seem to need an urgent transfusion so we took her home  & were told she probably had a tumor on her spleen that was going to burst & she'd bleed out. Blood tests were all wonky but she was not yet severely anemic so we decided to wait & see. 

Second vet reviewed the ultrasound (digitally recorded) & lab tests a few days later & said, nah, I don't think so. He dx'd her with kidney stones. She's still with us (with various kidney remedies on board) 5 mos later. 

Fingers crossed it's something less serious than tumors on spleen or liver....

• Like 1

Thank you all. Yes, the vet said v he seemed very tired. It wasn't just the expense that made me not want them to take him to the emergency clinic. I thought that if we can't be there, staying at the kennel that he knows with workers that know him would be less stressful for him.

• Like 1

I am sorry. We lost a very young Rottweiler (he was less than 2 years old) during the Summer. My wife thinks he had some kind of   genetic problem. Since you are out of town, it is worse. I will keep you and your dog in my thoughts and prayers.

ETA: I reread the OP.  I think it is very strange that he was OK in the morning (ate well, played, was happy) and then later in the same day he has these symptoms. If there is an Internal Medicine Vet. in the city you live in (I think you live in AL?) I would take him to that Dr., ASAP.  Years ago, in TX, my Old English Sheepdog had bad problems. It was during the Winter. Blood tests for Tick borne diseases came back OK.  My vet was thinking about sending me with the dog to the Vet. school at Texas A&M.  Before he did that, he sent us to a woman who was an Internal Medicine Vet., near North Dallas. She spoke of possibly doing exploratory surgery, which I am generally violently opposed to.  Thank God, while she was examining my dog, she found a Tick. Although the blood test had come back negative, and it was during the Winter, it was a Tick borne disease.   

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

I am sorry. We lost a very young Rottweiler (he was less than 2 years old) during the Summer. My wife thinks he had some kind of   genetic problem. Since you are out of town, it is worse. I will keep you and your dog in my thoughts and prayers.

ETA: I reread the OP.  I think it is very strange that he was OK in the morning (ate well, played, was happy) and then later in the same day he has these symptoms. If there is an Internal Medicine Vet. in the city you live in (I think you live in AL?) I would take him to that Dr., ASAP.  Years ago, in TX, my Old English Sheepdog had bad problems. It was during the Winter. Blood tests for Tick borne diseases came back OK.  My vet was thinking about sending me with the dog to the Vet. school at Texas A&M.  Before he did that, he sent us to a woman who was an Internal Medicine Vet., near North Dallas. She spoke of possibly doing exploratory surgery, which I am generally violently opposed to.  Thank God, while she was examining my dog, she found a Tick. Although the blood test had come back negative, and it was during the Winter, it was a Tick borne disease.   

Unfortunately, that's not uncommon with hemangiosarcomas. :(

• Like 3

Unfortunately, that's not uncommon with hemangiosarcomas. :(

Yes, they are symptom free untill/unless it starts bleeding or ruptures. 

Sometimes surgery to remove the spleen and tumor will work ,but that depends on if the dog is strong enough to withstand surgery. 

When my dog was not right a while back hemangiosarcoma was my first/biggest fear. In my case though, it ended up being pancreatitis, not the spleen. 

SaveSave

• Like 1

Update: He is actually feeling better this morning. He did eat and rolled over to get his stomach rubbed. His blood values showed he was not anemic and his liver function values were normal. On the ultrasound, the spleen looked healthy bur the gall bladder looked very full and the liver looked abnormal. The vet said no surgery now and he is sending the films to a radiologist and doing some more blood work. He will call me tomorrow (if I am in cell phone range since I am traveling to the Grand Canyon).

• Like 22

Update in post 39

I have a corgi poodle rescue. He is boarding at a vet that had really nice boarding facility. This morning g he ate all his food and played in the yard happily. This evening, he wouldn't eat and didn't want to move. They examined him and say he had fluid in his abdomen. His gums are pale do they think he is hemorrhaging. They called me and told me that they think it is either from the spleen or liver. They said they can't do a transfusion but the animal emergency practice can. They asked if I wanted him transferred and I had to say no. It would cost at least 1k for what they would do and he still may very well not make it through the night. They think he may have spleen or liver cancer which would be his second cancer. We took care of his first when we got him because no one thought it was cancer even when it was removed. It had to be diagnosed by our state vet school. Anyway, that cancer he had was usually fatal within a year. He has had 3.5 years since then

We have okayed a blood test, ultrasound, a transfusion if they can get it at the reg vet tomorrow and then we will see. If he is still alive, he will probably have surgery. They also said he might have a spleen injury with no cancer but I don't see how. Nothing has happened with him

Just worried.

Update: He is actually feeling better this morning. He did eat and rolled over to get his stomach rubbed. His blood values showed he was not anemic and his liver function values were normal. On the ultrasound, the spleen looked healthy bur the gall bladder looked very full and the liver looked abnormal. The vet said no surgery now and he is sending the films to a radiologist and doing some more blood work. He will call me tomorrow (if I am in cell phone range since I am traveling to the Grand Canyon).

So maybe a gall bladder attack? Definitely better news. Praying. 

• Like 1

So the vets did a lung x ray and he has multiple nodules in his lungs so he has metastatic cancer. It probably is from his original cancer 3.5 years ago. He is eating well now and seems to be acting normally according to the vets. We will keep him comfortable but won't be going through the whole surgery, radiation, and chemo deal. Not good news but I am glad that it now seems likely he will survive until we get back.

• Like 2

So the vets did a lung x ray and he has multiple nodules in his lungs so he has metastatic cancer. It probably is from his original cancer 3.5 years ago. He is eating well now and seems to be acting normally according to the vets. We will keep him comfortable but won't be going through the whole surgery, radiation, and chemo deal. Not good news but I am glad that it now seems likely he will survive until we get back.

Aw, I was hoping your update was going to be a happier one.  I'm sorry  :grouphug:

• Like 2

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1