Menu

Perennials in other people's yards???

Prairie~Phlox

If some had an ample perennial, would you stop & ask for a start? If you had ample perennials & someone stopped, what would you think? I really want perennial ferns & someone in our neighborhood has a huge area with them, but I don't know if I should ask. I see her regularly on my walks, but just wave.

No.  Go to a nursery.  I had someone do this to me and I found it very strange.  Well, the strangest part was that she asked me after taking the start, but even if she had asked beforehand, I would have thought it weird.  Now if I was talking to a neighbor friend and they were admiring my plants and I said "Oh, would you like a start?" then that would not be weird at all. 

• Like 13

I would be flattered if someone admired a plant in my yard and asked for a start. I would happily give it to them, no matter whether they were a stranger or a friend.

On the other hand, I would be way too self-conscious and awkward to ever ask a stranger for one. MAYBE an acquaintance, depending on how/how long I knew them.

• Like 13

No, if you aren't close to her, don't ask.  However, you might stop her on a walk just to talk about the ferns.  Tell her you are considering adding some ferns to your garden and ask if she has to do anything special to care for them or sees any drawbacks to having them.  She'll likely tell you things you need to know, and she may or may not offer some to you.  Either way, you've made a connection with a neighbor.  :001_smile:

• Like 21

I would find it odd and would never ask someone I didn't know.  I guess if I was asked for one, I would give it because I couldn't think of a reason not to.  I like the idea of asking about the ferns and getting to know the neighbor, whether she offers a start or not. 

• Like 1

I would hope to catch neighbor in the yard while I'm out walking.  Then I'd be sure to say how much I admired her lovely flowers and maybe ask the name of the variety, since I'd like to plant some in my own yard.  Then leave it up to the neighbor to make the offer.

• Like 12

I wouldn't care if someone asked.  Totally fine.  But, I can tell  you that I have neighbors who are VERY protective over what is in their yard, not in possessiveness, but in uniqueness.  They would be quite irritated and think that they are trying to copy them.

I have a blooming succulent that handles the heat really well in my rock garden, and I have given it away to several neighbors.  The odd thing is, that it doesn't like any of their yards, and I am the only one who can grow this particular plant.  I have transplanted it so many times in my own yard, that, I know it isn't fussy about being moved. I think they over water it or fertilize it with grass fertilizer.. So, I have maintained my uniqueness and been happy to share all the while. LOL 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 3

If it was someone I saw often while out walking, yeah, maybe. I'd strike up garden talk and feel it out from there. 

I would have no problem at all if someone asked for starters from me. I love to propagate and harvest seeds, so many of my neighbors have been given stuff.

Random people out walking will say "Hey, I like your garden!" Next thing you know they're walking down the street with a handful of zinnia seeds and a hen & chick. Haha! 

• Like 15

I wouldn't care if someone asked.  Totally fine.  But, I can tell  you that I have neighbors who are VERY protective over what is in their yard, not in possessiveness, but in uniqueness.  They would be quite irritated and think that they are trying to copy them.

I have a blooming succulent that handles the heat really well in my rock garden, and I have given it away to several neighbors.  The odd thing is, that it doesn't like any of their yards, and I am the only one who can grow this particular plant.  I have transplanted it so many times in my own yard, that, I know it isn't fussy about being moved. I think they over water it or fertilize it with grass fertilizer.. So, I have maintained my uniqueness and been happy to share all the while. LOL 

I have a neighbor who also likes to garden. I'm a little glad that her thing is all about the flowers. My thing is succulents with lots of dark plants mixed in. Kind of lush/dry. :) I love that we can share and come out with totally different result. 

I'd tell her how much I admire her fern, ask for advice about growing my own (variety, where to plant, watering, etc), and then if it feels natural, I might say "if you ever divide your plant, I'd love a start."  That way she doesn't need to feel like you want her to dig it up right now, but it leaves an opening for later.  I had a lush perennial garden at my last house and after a year or two, I divided all sorts of plants.  I replanted around my yard, and I gave away some starts to friends.  

• Like 15

My gut answer is go ahead and ask, if she doesn't want to give any away she'll say no.

*But*...there are so many threads about "ugh! Somebody asked/did something and I *had* to say yes even though the answer was 'no'"... that now I get nervous asking stuff that seems like a simple yes or no. :(

• Like 4

I'd tell her how much I admire her fern, ask for advice about growing my own (variety, where to plant, watering, etc), and then if it feels natural, I might say "if you ever divide your plant, I'd love a start." That way she doesn't need to feel like you want her to dig it up right now, but it leaves an opening for later. I had a lush perennial garden at my last house and after a year or two, I divided all sorts of plants. I replanted around my yard, and I gave away some starts to friends.

Great idea!

• Like 1

Like so many of these questions, it's probably different in various regions. I'd be totally wigged out if someone asked if she could have half my plant, and I'm pretty sure all my neighbors would agree that asking would be the height of rudeness.

I have had a neighbor offer me some of her plants, but I don't know her and would feel really uncomfortable seeking her out to take her up on it. Offering was kind, however; I'm afraid around here asking wouldn't be seen that way more than likely.

I would be flattered if someone admired a plant in my yard and asked for a start. I would happily give it to them, no matter whether they were a stranger or a friend.

I agree, I would be happy to share! As a young homemaker, my best loved little flower gardens were often made possible by sharings from experienced gardeners, mostly folks from church.

But I'd find it creepy if a stranger were to knock on my door. If I were out in the yard and saw them regularly out in the neighborhood, that would be more comfortable. I wouldn't necessarily ask someone else for a start unless theirs appeared to be overflowing the area and obviously in need of dividing anyway.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm feeling salty today but why wouldn't you just go to the store and purchase that plant?

I'm very willing to give my extra plants to friends, and trade plants at the local coffee shop,(they have a monthly plant exchange event)  but would feel a bit put off if a stranger came up and asked for one.

• Like 4

I'd tell her how much I admire her fern, ask for advice about growing my own (variety, where to plant, watering, etc), and then if it feels natural, I might say "if you ever divide your plant, I'd love a start."  That way she doesn't need to feel like you want her to dig it up right now, but it leaves an opening for later.  I had a lush perennial garden at my last house and after a year or two, I divided all sorts of plants.  I replanted around my yard, and I gave away some starts to friends.  

Yes, this!

Right now my daylilies are blooming their pretty heads off. If someone were to ask for a start of them, I'd ask them to wait until I dig and divide in the fall. I'd take their number and pin it to a calendar to remind me.

When I was growing up there were homes we visited where you Never left without a start of something from the flowerbeds. I wish I had a few of Great Aunt Maude's plants these days.

• Like 5

Maybe I'm feeling salty today but why wouldn't you just go to the store and purchase that plant?

I'm very willing to give my extra plants to friends, and trade plants at the local coffee shop,(they have a monthly plant exchange event)  but would feel a bit put off if a stranger came up and asked for one.

This.  I'm happy to share with people I actually know but I would be put off by a stranger (even one that I've waved to on occasion) asking me.  I would feel put on the spot. 

• Like 4

Hard core gardening people in the PNW do this.  Yup, people will ask & people will offer & if you ask someone who actually knows what they're doing you'll end up with a trunk load of things. & a cutting off a bush with rooting hormone etc... 

If it's a person who you see 'do' their own garden, I'd ask.  Just say "I love your garden. I'm wondering if you ever have any plants left over when you divide your perennials?" 

Divisions go in the compost if we can't find anyone to take them & honestly, it makes me sad to do it so I'd be glad to have someone take them. 

Rhizomatous ferns can be divided by cutting the rhizome. It's not particularly hard but I wouldn't do it in the summer. For me it's a spring job though in some regions you can do it in the fall. 

• Like 4

considering how *ferns* propigate - no. go to a nursery.

Depends on the type, mine were a salvage from a home going into foreclosure. The owner had started them from a relative. When he is back into a house, he will want them back. They are spreading everywhere so I've been sharing with my neighbor in the meantime.

Edited by Acorn
  • Like 1

I wouldn't just ask.

In my village there are numerous fundraising events during the summer. Most of the serious gardeners donate their extras to one of those. I have been known to ask if any of the "blank" plant I like will be for sale at the gala. Sometimes I get lucky and my cutting arrives early and I make a donation on the day. My Midwestern cousin donates her extra perennials to plant sales also.

• Like 1

As a gardener, I would be happy to share my plants if I had enough to divide.

I have too many to count perennials around my yard that have come from other people in my life.  I didn't ever ask for them but they were offered because people know we have lots of flower beds. 

My dh often has to dig up perennial beds in his line of work and he has brought them home from all over Kentucky.  They are normally from businesses that are going to have a landscaper redo the plants so he is extra care when removing them in order to bring some home.  

I have even traded eggs and veggies for plants.  I love to look at the plants and remember where they came from.

• Like 4

I have had a neighbor offer me some of her plants, but I don't know her and would feel really uncomfortable seeking her out to take her up on it. Offering was kind, however; I'm afraid around here asking wouldn't be seen that way more than likely.

But when your dividing up hostas or daylilies you need someone to give them to so they just don't die if you have nowhere to plant them.

• Like 6

So ask. Worst case is they say no.

For me, it'd depend.

Not in summer at all. Maybe in early spring or fall.

I get very cranky if anyone messes with my hydrangeas. They aren't easy for me to grow and the two I have were sentimental gifts. If I ever move, I'll take them with me.

My other plants? If you ask while I'm outside already tending the garden, pending the plant, I'd probably just pull it up whole and give it to you. Especially if you offer to trade a perennial from your own garden.😀

I wish my neighborhood would have garden exchanges. That'd be fun.

• Like 2

Most of my garden right now is from other people's generosity.  I would reciprocate if anyone approached - if the plant was ready to be split/right season.  I like the idea above about taking someone's number and getting back in touch with them when you are ready.

• Like 2

It never would have occurred to me that this was rude! If anything I guess I thought it'd be a great way to strike up a friendship (or neighborly relationship).

I kind of thought it'd be a compliment ... and maybe a geek thing, like we all get excited when someone geeks out at the same things we do and can appreciate our 'stash' or investment or whatever.

I'd have walked over and asked. I wonder how many times I inadvertently offend people or make them feel put on the spot LOL.  Oops.

I don't garden, but my mom does.  She said she wouldn't think twice about it and would be happy to share. This reminds me of people asking for and sharing (or not!) recipes. What might be intended as a compliment can be taken in such a different light!

• Like 14

I've only gardened in the South. Everyone I've known would take it as a compliment to ask for a division. As gardeners, it would be understood that the plant would be given in the fall when the plants are divided. Otherwise, the divisions die.

Besides, not all nurseries carry all varieties. This might be a unique type of fern the OP admires so much.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 5

If some had an ample perennial, would you stop & ask for a start? If you had ample perennials & someone stopped, what would you think? I really want perennial ferns & someone in our neighborhood has a huge area with them, but I don't know if I should ask. I see her regularly on my walks, but just wave.

Wow, too bad you don't live near me.  I just chopped down a boatload of ferns yesterday that are growing in the wrong place! 

Depends on the type, mine were a salvage from a home going into foreclosure. The owner had started them from a relative. When he is back into a house, he will want them back. They are spreading everywhere so I've been sharing with my neighbor in the meantime.

I have an area of ferns that in 30 years has never expanded.   I went out and bought more.

Well, I wish somebody would stop by and ask for some of my hostas.

I don't even like hostas, but the lady who lived here before me (12 years ago!) adored them, and was a whiz at creating flower beds of immortal hostas. I'd never remove them, because they always flourish although I totally neglect them.

Every single year, I intend to divide them at the start of the season. But then I forget until the mature leaves have swallowed my sidewalk and threaten their neighbor irises and roses.

• Like 3

I don't even like hostas, but the lady who lived here before me (12 years ago!) adored them, and was a whiz at creating flower beds of immortal hostas. I'd never remove them, because they always flourish although I totally neglect them.

Every single year, I intend to divide them at the start of the season. But then I forget until the mature leaves have swallowed my sidewalk and threaten their neighbor irises and roses.

Lol.  You can't kill em.  I dug up the ones around our aunt's trailer before they moved it, literally threw them in a pile around a cherry tree, and 2 years later they are thriving like I lovingly planted them in a bed.

• Like 4

:lol:  I don't garden but I appreciate a lovely, lush garden space. It's hard enough keeping my children fed and watered, much less adding plants to the mix. 

But I love hostas for the very reason you mention.

The more I ignore them, the better they do and the more full they grow!  They're my outdoor "go-to" and pothos are my indoor "go-to" for the same reason. I just spent $50 on hostas, I wish we lived closer! I hope mine don't die on the lanai before I can get to planting them. Which I guess I could be doing now ... oh ...

• Like 3

Almost the entire backyard and front yard of our corner lot home was buried in irises and hostas when we moved in. I'm not sure they even needed to mow. I needed a yard the let kids could play in, so I pulled all of it up. Bags and bags and bags and bags of irises and hostas. Took me months to give it all away.

With the exception of my special hydrangeas (my favorite plant) all of my garden is perennials I found on after their planting season/clearance shelf finds. I dig a hole, plop it in, and let nature decide the rest. Next season anything that died is pulled up and I fill the spaces with whatever I find on the clearance shelf that year. It does surprisingly well most years even if it isn't as huge a garden as the previous owner. And even in winter I have quite a bit more color than previous owner did bc once the irises were done blooming, the yard was just a bunch of huge green hosta leaves and huge green iris leaves.

I'm thrilled with my hydrangeas this year! Third year plants and they finally really bushed out and bloomed bright hot pink abundance this year. I think I'm going to have to pull out a double bang bush next to them so they have room to grow next year. ðŸ˜

• Like 2