Menu

Best sitcom of all time

Mom2Five

At the time they were on, I loved Friends more than Seinfeld.  I watched a few episodes of both recently and still laughed at Seinfeld, but thought Friends was pretty lame (the story line, the jokes, the canned laughter).  And I was a huge fan back in the day.

I always loved All in the Family, The Cosby Show, Cheers, M*A*S*H, Newhart, The Dick Van Dyke Show, and I Love Lucy. 

My kids really like Gilligan's Island, The Brady Bunch, The Cosby Show, and I Love Lucy.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For The Office, there is a British version (which came first) and an American version.

The main idea behind The Office is that the boss is quirky and difficult to work for. The British version feels meanspirited to me--the boss seems to feel no remorse for his terrible behavior. I prefer the American one because while the boss is ridiculously annoying to his employees, it doesn't come across as mean-spirited; it comes across as clueless.

However, there are heated debates about which version is better, with lots of people preferring the British version and just as many preferring the American. You will have to decide for yourself. Last time I checked, they were both on Netflix.

Edited by Garga about 10 times. I normally don't wake up until. 7:00. I should never, ever write before 7:00 because apparently I can't spell worth beans and...grammar? What's that?? And there's always that adrenaline rush that someone will quote my horrible spelling and grammatic errors before I have a chance to fix them. Like this morning. When I had to edit this post 10 times for all the mistakes.

Thanks for the info.  I prefer clueless to mean spirited, so will try the US version.  There are two each day I can tape off our Dish Network, so we'll check out a couple of those even though they aren't in order.  It will give me an idea if I like them or not.  We don't have fast enough internet to pay for Netflix streaming - just discs - and I don't care to waste disc ordering time if we're not going to like them.  That happened with Duck Dynasty a couple of years back...

We don't watch much on TV, and tend to be quite picky with what we like (both according to my IRL peers), so... time will tell.

I think Seinfeld is more quotable than friends. I enjoyes both sitcoms when they were on. They are different and I don't think one is better than the other.

Sticking to the 30 minute format, sitcoms I think are the best:

The golden girls

All in the family

Maude

Frasier

Full house

Mash-although I don't think of this as sitcom. It was more realistic.

Happy days

The Mary Tyler Moore show

Rhoda

The middle

Laverne and Shirley

The nanny

Seinfeld was my favorite sitcom of all time, however, I watch very little network TV. I do currently like Big Bang Theory, but I never turn it on intentionLly; i just join in when my family is already watching.

I did love The Golden Girls years ago. That show was hilarious.

• Like 1

I'll show my age here, or possibly my grumpiness --

I agree with MASH and All In The Family.  They were truly brilliant shows.

The most quoted show in our house, and probably the one that would get my vote for best comedy of all time -- The Andy Griffith Show.

For runners up to those

WKRP in Cincinnati

Taxi

Newhart

The Golden Girls

(Obviously I haven't found anything worthwhile on TV in a long, long time!)

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 5

I agree with MASH and All In The Family. They were truly brilliant shows.

The most quoted show in our house, and probably the one that would get my vote for best comedy of all time -- The Andy Griffith Show.

For runners up to those

WKRP in Cincinnati

Taxi

Newhart

The Golden Girls

Oh my,how did I forget WKRP. That show is one of the best.

• Like 2

I vote Seinfeld over Friends. I read somewhere once that the preference between those two shows is a function of age. The whippersnappers prefer Friends.

One other show dh and I loved was Newsradio. It was goofy and stupid and hilarious at times. We used to find it on reruns but haven't in a while.

I vote Seinfeld over Friends. I read somewhere once that the preference between those two shows is a function of age. The whippersnappers prefer Friends.

One other show dh and I loved was Newsradio. It was goofy and stupid and hilarious at times. We used to find it on reruns but haven't in a while.

Hmm what is considered a whippersnapper? I'm not even 30 yet and would happily never see another Friends episode again. But i have rewatched the entire series of Seinfeld many times.

Oh and Newsradio was hilarious! It used to be on Netflix but I'm not sure if it is anymore.

• Like 1

Dharma and Greg amused me.

I went back to re-read and look for other possible options we might like and came across your listing of Dharma and Greg.  We loved that one (most of the time)!  Their Valentine's Day getaway episode where they end up in the Airstream trailer is one of my all time favorite shows of any type ever.

• Like 1

I went back to re-read and look for other possible options we might like and came across your listing of Dharma and Greg. We loved that one (most of the time)! Their Valentine's Day getaway episode where they end up in the Airstream trailer is one of my all time favorite shows of any type ever.

I liked the one with the duck. I think those shenanigans supposedly occurring on the same night as the Seinfeld series finale? They thought they could get away with it because the whole world would be watching TV.

• Like 1

Oh see, we didn't need Netflix. DH and I have been quoting Friends for 15 years - which is how long we've been together. So, I'm going to have to go with Yes, it's memorable. Of course, the kids are now understanding their weird parents a little better because they are watching them now and get the references.

I've not done a formal study on who is more quoted, you may be correct. Or you may recognize the quotes more because they are more familiar to you. Selective attention or Baader-Meinhof may be in effect here. Kind of like how I only pick out Spanish words I hear around me AFTER I learn them in my Spanish class. Or, learn them on Jane the Virgin.

ETA: Speaking of Baader-Meinhof, sort of, DH just invited me to watch... Kung Fu Panda. Frequency illusion? Coincidence. Two different Kung Fu Pandas in the same day...

Nah, we watched both when they came out, and I've been known to quote both, but the Seinfeld references so greatly outnumber the friends quotes through the years. I could be wrong, but I'd be very surprised if I was.

My son really liked Friends but didn't get into Seinfeld. I think younger audiences probably prefer it. He likes to blurt "(His name) doesn't share food!" when I steal his fries.

• Like 1

My kids have been told "Wantin' ain't gettin' " their whole lives. They hate that quote. For a while they assumed it was one of my "country sayings" (I'm raising suburban kids) but I stole it right off Andy Griffith. That, and "bud nippin' ."

• Like 2

I remember that I had a late night college exam and missed the very final episode of MASH. I was beyond miserable, and will always hate that prof. The whole class wanted to revolt.

Ha ha.

I get that.  I was working in a restaurant that night and by mutual agreement, the customers and we servers all watched it together and we got them food and drinks on commercials. 

That was one of those cultural moments we shared that rarely happens anymore with all the video options today.

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 5

I need to see the Middle - I've heard good things about it. 

Some of my favorites: 

Seinfeld

Frasier (one of my all time favorites)

Big Bang Theory

How I Met Your Mother

Scrubs

Arrested Development

I'm also enjoying the new show Superstore. It just started in January I think. 

I like to laugh.  There have been many I have found funny.  These are just a few.  I haven't seen most of these shows all the way through, just some off and on but I enjoyed them.

MASH

Laverne and Shirley

Mork and Mindy

The Love Boat

The Young Ones

Murphy Brown

The Wonder Years

Night Court 

Taxi

Friends

The Jeffersons

Newhart

The Cosby Show

The Brady Bunch

Cheers

One Day at a Time

Welcome Back Kotter

The Odd Couple

Faulty Towers

Big Bang Theory

Frasier

Will and Grace

Mystery Science Theater 3000

Oh man, this thread!  :001_wub:

Seinfeld, Three's Company, The Golden Girls, The Cosby Show (sigh), Family Ties, Arrested Development

Just curious, what's the difference between Malcolm in the Middle and The Middle? Are the parents the same actors or something? So confused!

I watched 1/2 of an episode of both shows and I was THOROUGHLY like :huh: !  I kept waiting for that one kid (Malcolm?) to show up, but the middle child was a girl....???

MASH, Frasier, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show (I will watch him in anything), Early Laverne and Shirley, and Parks and Rec, and currently, Modern Family 

A shout out to Family Ties and Roseanne (the early years.  I didn't like it the last couple of seasons)

And total guilty pleasure would be Married with Children

ETA:  How could I forget WKRP! loved that show, and for a real oldie, Hogan's Heroes.:)

Edited by Kim in Appalachia

Oh my gosh- Newhart! Daryl, Daryl, & Daryl.. That was a great show!

Actually it was Larry, Darryl and Darryl. And it was great how they--the Darryls--never spoke a word through the whole series. Oh, and Best Finale Ever!

Edited by Cinder
  • Like 5

Neither Friends nor Seinfeld would make my Top 5.  I think I have watched three Seinfeld episodes and was left wondering "WTH?" after each one.  I think I watched a season of Friends but couldn't stomach David Schwimmer.  The theme song was great, though.

Big Bang Theory was great for the first few seasons.  Last season, not so much.  I am holding out hope that this season gets better.

• Like 1

I agree with MASH and All In The Family. They were truly brilliant shows.

For runners up to those

WKRP in Cincinnati

Taxi

Newhart

The Golden Girls

Oh! Bob Newhart! His comedic style was just amazing!

• Like 1

Yep. Seinfeld either coined or popularized already existing phrases. It wins hands down.

regifting

double dipping

yada yada yada

Serenity NOW

and so much more. :D

Where would we be on December 23 without Frank Costanza?

ETA I read through and saw that Chocolate Reign beat me at calling you out for Festivus. Come 12/23 I'll wrestle the winner.

Also adding, I am not a huge sitcom fan, but Everybody Loves Raymond fascinates me because it hits so close to home.

Edited by Seasider

Oh see, we didn't need Netflix. DH and I have been quoting Friends for 15 years - which is how long we've been together. So, I'm going to have to go with Yes, it's memorable. Of course, the kids are now understanding their weird parents a little better because they are watching them now and get the references.

I've not done a formal study on who is more quoted, you may be correct. Or you may recognize the quotes more because they are more familiar to you. Selective attention or Baader-Meinhof may be in effect here. Kind of like how I only pick out Spanish words I hear around me AFTER I learn them in my Spanish class. Or, learn them on Jane the Virgin.

ETA: Speaking of Baader-Meinhof, sort of, DH just invited me to watch... Kung Fu Panda. Frequency illusion? Coincidence. Two different Kung Fu Pandas in the same day...

We quote Friends all the time too, despite only having watched it somewhat sporadically.  It's very quotable.  "Toast, oatmeal, nothing that splatters. . . "  (I never really got into Seinfeld.)

I'd vote for Arrested Development, hands down.  So would DH.  More than a little quotable.  We quote it multiple times a week.

I would say The Office (until the last couple of seasons, which weren't as good, IMO) and Parks and Rec.  To my surprise, I found The Mindy Project hilarious.

Also, I used to love Home Improvement.  (Even Last Man Standing, which is pretty funny, and I appreciate that it's generally clean.  I do like the references to Home Improvement.)  I used to watch HI when I was a kid/teen, and I didn't know that the construction dad and bunch of boys was my future. . . Now I claim to channel my inner Jill Taylor.  Come to think of it, DH and I liked Malcolm in the Middle too, and they have lots of boys too.

Raising Hope took me a couple of seasons to really get into, but I ended up liking it.

I have to say that Bob Newhart's comedy is some of the best. I LOVE his dry humor. I liked HIM in both of his sitcoms, but overall, they weren't my favorites.

I don't think there has ever been a sitcom I've watched regularly, BUT, I have watched, from beginning to end, all of HIMYM on Netflix and it's definitely a favorite. I simply ADORE Modern Family, but I've been watching it in reruns - never caught/catch it on network.

I have enjoyed Big Bang, Seinfeld, Cheers and Friends when I've watched them, and I always liked Cosby and Roseanne. I'm sure there are others, but these top the list.

If Carol Burnett would count as a sitcom, I'd have to say it would be a favorite - fond memories watching this a kid with my parents. I also LOVED watching Johnny Carson with them as well.

• Like 1

Where would we be on December 23 without Frank Costanza?

ETA I read through and saw that Chocolate Reign beat me at calling you out for Festivus. Come 12/23 I'll wrestle the winner.

Also adding, I am not a huge sitcom fan, but Everybody Loves Raymond fascinates me because it hits so close to home.

I actually left Festivus out because I was just listing some words that are part of the language now. People use regifting, yada yada yada, and double dipping without even referring to Seinfeld. That's how much of an impact it had.

• Like 2

I love Friends. That's actually my current show. I always have something I'm watching in the evenings after the kids are asleep. Its on Netflix so I started at the beginning and I watch a couple every night.

I really like Big Bang Theory, too. DH and I watch that together every week.

I greatly dislike Seinfeld but DH likes it.