Menu

Best sitcom of all time

Mom2Five

I have no life :lol: and im sitting here watching Friends. It reminded me of a convo between dh and I. I think Friends is hands down the best sitcom of all time. The dh voted for Seinfeld. What do you say? This has to be more entertaining than just watching Friends without a debate :laugh: . I have insomnia , so keep the replies coming, :lurk5: .

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Office is our favorite, neck and neck with Seinfeld.

I can't stand Friends. The majority of people do like Friends, so I know I'm an outsider, but I don't find it funny in the slightest.

I can laugh until I can't breathe watching some eps of The Office and I certainly chuckle for a number of Seinfelds.

• Like 3

Between the 2 Seinfeld. I do not think Friends is funny at all.

But if you expand the choices I would have a hard time deciding between Seinfeld, The Office, and Arrested Development. Those are my top 3 favorites of all time. I can't think of another sitcom that comes anywhere close to those 3. But there may be one or two I'm forgetting

• Like 3

The Office is our favorite, neck and neck with Seinfeld.

I can't stand Friends. The majority of people do like Friends, so I know I'm an outsider, but I don't find it funny in the slightest.

I can laugh until I can't breathe watching some eps of The Office and I certainly chuckle for a number of Seinfelds.

Apparently I'm an outsider as well! The Office and Seinfeld are the only shows we own on DVD. And we've rewatched them many times. We also quote them often.

I sincerely miss the days of 70's TV - The Odd Couple, M*A*S*H, All in the Family, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and the variety shows like The Carol Burnett Show. Those were the days when Little House on the Prairie was on prime time. There were so many shows we watched as a family - it was like picking candy in a sweet shop. This is really showing my age but I can't stand TV with the exception of a few British shows. Narrowing it down to a favorite would be hard but I suppose the best one of all was M*A*S*H which often brought me to tears.

ETA: Forgot to add The Bob Newhart Show, another favorite. For flat-out comedy and perfect timing, Gilligan's Island.

Edited by Vida Winter
  • Like 13

Well, in general, I don't like sitcoms much.

If I *had* to choose one, I guess I'd say Friends is the best I've watched, because I have watched it all and overall I like it.

However, I sort of hated all those characters at the same time.  If I was friends IRL with any of them I'd have punched them all in the face at some point.  Because... ugh.   :glare:

ETA: I have no idea about Seinfeld, I've seen random episodes but hated it.  I've never had any interest in any others (like all of them listed upthread lol) so I've not ever tried to watch them.  

They're just not my thing.

Edited by PeacefulChaos

I have always hated that show.  I never understood why everyone thought it was funny.  I know it's me though because it was so popular at the time.

(referring to M*A*S*H)

It wasn't really a comedy; it was serious with some funny parts. My father was in the Korean War so it struck close to home.

• Like 2

Frasier!!!

THANK you. I was hoping someone would mention it. I still call hatchbacks "hunchbacks" because of it. Niles was the BEST.

I also liked Mad About You. I wonder if it'll ever hit netflix? Golden Girls and Designing Women were fun too. Dharma and Greg amused me.

Right now I'm watching New Girl. It's actually a bit annoying, but I ran out of Last Man Standing and a The Almighty Johnsons episodes. The New Girl episode with Prince in it was my favorite thus far. Prince was hysterical.

• Like 6

I can't come up with just one.

Between Seinfeld and Friends, IMO Seinfeld comes out on top.

I'm watching Arrested Development on Netflix and loving it.

I'm re-watching 30 Rock and enjoying it again.

Going back further -

M.A.S.H.

Cheers

Frasier

Golden Girls

WKRP

Mary Tyler Moore

The only current one I like is Big Bang Theory.

• Like 1

(referring to M*A*S*H)

It wasn't really a comedy; it was serious with some funny parts. My father was in the Korean War so it struck close to home.

Did your father touch his nose???

Speaking of the Korean War, That 70s Show was funny too.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

Thanks for mentioning The Office. I looked it up and its on Netflix. Wooo! I've seen a few episodes and have liked it as well, although it was slightly annoying too. It's funny to see so many people who do not like Friends. I basically grew up watching Friends so there are certain memories attached to certain episodes. I can watch Seinfeld, but it's not my favorite.

Oh, also I loved I Love Lucy growing up but when I watch it now it's more like meh.

I really haven't watched any new TV shows since early 2000's so ya know :).

Edited by Mom2Five
  • Like 1

Definitely The Office! But between Friends and Seinfield...I would say Friends and dh would say Seinfeild.

On a personal note, it was during Seinfield's last season that dh and I started dating. I remember going to his place to watch the finale and that was the first time he told me he loved me. So although the finale was horrible, it holds a special place in my heart. <3

• Like 1

Frasier, Mad About You, Designing Women, I Love Lucy and (I KNOW people are going to throw things and yell at me here) the Nanny always cracked me up. Can't help it.

There should be a customizable channel that allows you to pick your favorite shows...

I don't like a lot of sitcoms that are on right now.

• Like 5

Frasier, Mad About You, Designing Women, I Love Lucy and (I KNOW people are going to throw things and yell at me here) the Nanny always cracked me up. Can't help it.

There should be a customizable channel that allows you to pick your favorite shows...

I don't like a lot of sitcoms that are on right now.

Love the Nanny.   I am not so patiently waiting for the series to come down in price.

• Like 2

I dunno about that. Our whole family, including the 10 year old, quotes Friends on pretty much a daily basis. So much of real life can be related to a Friends episode.

Sure it's qoatable right after you watch it on Netflix, but is it AS quotably memorable 2 decades later? Before Netflix, a LOT more Seinfeld quotes worked their way into everyday conversation than Friends references.

• Like 1

Sure it's qoatable right after you watch it on Netflix, but is it AS quotably memorable 2 decades later? Before Netflix, a LOT more Seinfeld quotes worked their way into everyday conversation than Friends references.

Oh see, we didn't need Netflix. DH and I have been quoting Friends for 15 years - which is how long we've been together. So, I'm going to have to go with Yes, it's memorable. Of course, the kids are now understanding their weird parents a little better because they are watching them now and get the references.

I've not done a formal study on who is more quoted, you may be correct. Or you may recognize the quotes more because they are more familiar to you. Selective attention or Baader-Meinhof may be in effect here. Kind of like how I only pick out Spanish words I hear around me AFTER I learn them in my Spanish class. Or, learn them on Jane the Virgin.

ETA: Speaking of Baader-Meinhof, sort of, DH just invited me to watch... Kung Fu Panda. Frequency illusion? Coincidence. Two different Kung Fu Pandas in the same day...

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 3

The Office, New Girl, and the Mindy Project

I laugh so hard watching these three shows.

For current sitcoms, I love New Girl, too. It's one of those very rare shows that makes me laugh a lovely belly laugh.

And I very much enjoy the Unsinkable Kimmie Schmidt.

Edited by Garga

The Beverly Hillbillies, MASH, Hogan's Heroes - in that order.

Y'all knew I was weird, so the uncommoness of my choices shouldn't really be a surprise.

I watched Friends once - maybe twice - and wasn't impressed.  Ditto that with Seinfeld. 

After reading this thread I'm planning on taking a look at The Office just to check it out.

We tend to like The Big Bang Theory now, but it's not as good as it used to be IMO.  We've been tempted to drop it several times, but we don't have a half hour sitcom we like better at the moment and sometimes one just wants to watch comedy (and hopefully not be too disappointed).  

I'm hoping The Office is good...

• Like 2

The Beverly Hillbillies, MASH, Hogan's Heroes - in that order.

Y'all knew I was weird, so the uncommoness of my choices shouldn't really be a surprise.

I watched Friends once - maybe twice - and wasn't impressed. Ditto that with Seinfeld.

After reading this thread I'm planning on taking a look at The Office just to check it out.

We tend to like The Big Bang Theory now, but it's not as good as it used to be IMO. We've been tempted to drop it several times, but we don't have a half hour sitcom we like better at the moment and sometimes one just wants to watch comedy (and hopefully not be too disappointed).

I'm hoping The Office is good...

For The Office, there is a British version (which came first) and an American version.

The main idea behind The Office is that the boss is quirky and difficult to work for. The British version feels meanspirited to me--the boss seems to feel no remorse for his terrible behavior. I prefer the American one because while the boss is ridiculously annoying to his employees, it doesn't come across as mean-spirited; it comes across as clueless.

However, there are heated debates about which version is better, with lots of people preferring the British version and just as many preferring the American. You will have to decide for yourself. Last time I checked, they were both on Netflix.

Edited by Garga about 10 times. I normally don't wake up until. 7:00. I should never, ever write before 7:00 because apparently I can't spell worth beans and...grammar? What's that?? And there's always that adrenaline rush that someone will quote my horrible spelling and grammatic errors before I have a chance to fix them. Like this morning. When I had to edit this post 10 times for all the mistakes.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2