Menu

Catwoman

mamiof5

I hope all is ok Cat. 

I wonder if she is dealing with snow.

I believe she is--she's not far from me, and I'm in the center of the snow band. What crummy timing :( I've been thinking about her as well, and hoping her DH is recuperating and getting stronger every day. 

:grouphug:  Cat

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

You and your family have been in my heart every day.  :grouphug: :grouphug:

I hope all is going smoothly and that you have gotten a chance to get at least a little rest. 

It was so sweet of you to start this thread, mamiof5! :)

I just posted the happy update in the other thread, so I'll post it here, too...

------

AMAZING UPDATE -- Sorry I haven't been online but things have been busy, exhausting, and crazy... but I have unbelievable news -- my dh is out of the hospital and back at the hotel with us!!! :hurray:

He did incredibly well and the new liver seems to be an excellent match so far. The doctors and nurses said he is one of the most highly motivated patients they have seen. He did everything they told him to do and then did extra. He was so determined to get well quickly. He said he was doing it for our family but also for the person who donated the liver to him and that person's family. He also said he knows that the liver he got could have also saved another person if he hadn't gotten it, so he feels obligated to take the best possible care of it for that reason as well.

Anyway, he's not out of the woods yet and won't be for a long time, because he has to be immunosuppressed and we have to pray that the anti-rejection medications work and his body doesn't reject the liver. We also have to watch out for any signs of infection, some potentially serious side effects from the medicines, and any signs of rejection. He also has a massive incision and we have to hope it heals properly.

Right now, it's all pretty overwhelming. There were so many instructions and explanations and educational classes, and while I'm sure we will get into a routine fairly quickly, I'm pretty nervous about it all right now. I keep writing things down and setting alarms so we won't forget to test his blood sugar and so we won't forget to give him the right medications at the right times, and I have to be super-paranoid about germs and food safety... and on and on and on! I know there is more than I'm mentioning here but without looking at my lists, I can't remember it all.

The plan for the next few months is that he has to see the surgeons twice a week for bloodwork, physical exams, and so they can modify the medications based on the blood results. Apparently the medicines and/or dosages will probably be tweaked a lot, so I think there may be a fairly big learning curve.

But overall, all that matters is that he is out of the hospital and on the mend. We feel so incredibly blessed. :party:

Thank you all again for all of your support as we went through this. I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared out of my wits a lot of the time, but knowing that so many people were sending prayers and positive thoughts made a huge difference to me and helped me believe that things will be okay. I'm still worried because there are still so many things that could go wrong, but having him sitting across the room from me right now is all I want to think about.

Thanks again. Thanks aren't enough to tell you how much all of your posts have meant to me. I have read each and every one of them and I appreciate every word. :001_wub:

• Like 12

Praise God!

How long will he have to be on the immunosuppressant meds? At what point can they be sure his body will not reject the new liver?

Never mind, I don't really expect you to answer all those questions right now. Best of all, things look good right now. May the rapid recovery continue!

It was so sweet of you to start this thread, mamiof5! :)

I just posted the happy update in the other thread, so I'll post it here, too...

------

AMAZING UPDATE -- Sorry I haven't been online but things have been busy, exhausting, and crazy... but I have unbelievable news -- my dh is out of the hospital and back at the hotel with us!!! :hurray:

He did incredibly well and the new liver seems to be an excellent match so far. The doctors and nurses said he is one of the most highly motivated patients they have seen. He did everything they told him to do and then did extra. He was so determined to get well quickly. He said he was doing it for our family but also for the person who donated the liver to him and that person's family. He also said he knows that the liver he got could have also saved another person if he hadn't gotten it, so he feels obligated to take the best possible care of it for that reason as well.

Anyway, he's not out of the woods yet and won't be for a long time, because he has to be immunosuppressed and we have to pray that the anti-rejection medications work and his body doesn't reject the liver. We also have to watch out for any signs of infection, some potentially serious side effects from the medicines, and any signs of rejection. He also has a massive incision and we have to hope it heals properly.

Right now, it's all pretty overwhelming. There were so many instructions and explanations and educational classes, and while I'm sure we will get into a routine fairly quickly, I'm pretty nervous about it all right now. I keep writing things down and setting alarms so we won't forget to test his blood sugar and so we won't forget to give him the right medications at the right times, and I have to be super-paranoid about germs and food safety... and on and on and on! I know there is more than I'm mentioning here but without looking at my lists, I can't remember it all.

The plan for the next few months is that he has to see the surgeons twice a week for bloodwork, physical exams, and so they can modify the medications based on the blood results. Apparently the medicines and/or dosages will probably be tweaked a lot, so I think there may be a fairly big learning curve.

But overall, all that matters is that he is out of the hospital and on the mend. We feel so incredibly blessed. :party:

Thank you all again for all of your support as we went through this. I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared out of my wits a lot of the time, but knowing that so many people were sending prayers and positive thoughts made a huge difference to me and helped me believe that things will be okay. I'm still worried because there are still so many things that could go wrong, but having him sitting across the room from me right now is all I want to think about.

Thanks again. Thanks aren't enough to tell you how much all of your posts have meant to me. I have read each and every one of them and I appreciate every word. :001_wub:

You are so welcome!! Thank you for the wonderful update. My oldest dd was recovering from tonsils and adenoids removal when your dh went to surgery, and her surgery was so minor comparing to what you guys have gone through! I really have been thinking of you a lot. Will keep praying! Take one day at a time, he'll do well and all this will be over soon.

Fantastic update, Cat! Your DH's attitude is amazing! I can't even imagine the learning curve that is required for med rotation and wound care, but thank goodness for technology to help a bit!

Continued good thoughts for you all, especially your DH's health and healing.

Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated.

I am so relieved to read your update, Cat! Your DH sounds like such a remarkable and great person. What a wonderful attitude he has! Continued wishes for healing and safety. You are a wonderful wife.