Menu

What has been your best investment to your child's education?

Because that spam thread made me think about it...

Of course, my snarky answer, based off his choice of title wording was "grammar lessons."

My real answer is probably "time." (<-- too intangible?)

We still have a lot of years ahead of us, and a lot to face before we will be able to answer this question though.

• Like 3

Non-money answer:

Flexibility! Anyone who has read my posts, especially on the high school board, has seen how we have changes our homeschooling journey based on dd's needs and interests :)

Money answer:

The four week high school credit session at Concordia Language Villages this summer :)

• Like 4

Energy.

I can give my children all the time I have, but in the early years that's not what they want or need.  They need more.  They need a playmate, active lessons, field trips, hands on experiments.  My best investment has been energy - not taking out a book when we could GO to Jamestown and hop on the ships and feel how small they were.  Hiking through the woods instead of looking at pictures of flowers.  Getting messy and mummifying those chickens and assisting one building Rube Goldberg machines.

Yes, I could have done it all nice and quietly with textbooks, done in 2 hours, but being able to match their energy and get lessons to suit were a greater investment than lessons in teaching them to sit.

Moneywise, I don't know.  Probably co-op, a small academic/creative co-op that expected a lot from the kids. 

• Like 3

Non money answer:  time: specifically, in the ability to work at their pace.  This has been such a gift for my 2E kids.  This is THE reason I am still homeschooling, in spite of many reasons not to.  My dears don't fit in any available school's "box", so they're stuck with me. ;) I'm far from the ideal teacher, but I can give them a looong leash in their strengths, and walk along side them in their weakness. 

Something I spent money on: teaching them to read; Phonics Pathways is on its fifth child here.  Very good return on that investment. 

• Like 2

Opportunities...

-To learn in ways that are best for her learning style

-To study things she never would in school

-To go on wicked cool field trips

-To dedicate more time and training to non-academic interests

-To work with young kids by volunteering at a preschool

-To remain close to me and DH

-To have lots of downtime

-To be herself

Just a sampling!

• Like 3

Opportunities...

-To learn in ways that are best for her learning style

-To study things she never would in school

-To go on wicked cool field trips

-To dedicate more time and training to non-academic interests

-To work with young kids by volunteering at a preschool

-To remain close to me and DH

-To have lots of downtime

-To be herself

Just a sampling!

This is good and true forme as well.

Yep, I was going to say time too. Patience? Encouragement? Laughter? When I look over all the curriculum, books, software, supplies, etc, what's made the most difference is what I myself brought to the table. Boy, that's a sobering realization.

Quick, look away new homeschoolers! Because if I'd have known this five years ago, I would most certainly have felt unequal to the task. :)

• Like 3

So far, probably keeping gas in the car (and living within an hour's drive of a lot).

Home does have its perks--hey, free mud puddle!--but we've gotten a lot out of exploring our area. We go to the library, museums, parks, farms, festivals, special events, etc., and he remembers the experiences and connects them to what he reads/hears.

• Like 1

My thought, looking at the title, was me. I see others had the same idea.

And frankly, on Monday afternoon, I don't feel like I'm up to the task. I may have just told dd#2 that it would be mighty easy to drop them all off at the local school. (Mondays are hard, sometimes, in our house.)

• Like 3

I'm going with 'time' as well. There is a lot of other things, but the BEST investment is spending time with the dc.  I'm not even sure that my energy needs to be there 100% everyday, either. I think my dc had some of their happiest, generous moments with me and their relaxed school week when I was sick in bed and they offered to to look after me, brought their math and other work to me while I was in bed, did the shopping, prepared meals, etc. I'm pretty convinced that it is the quantity of time together that is the best investment - at least for attempting to reach the goals dh and I have for our dc.

• Like 1

It's hard to say the best investment. A valuable one is consistent exposure to life and education outside of a B&M classroom. Playing outdoors or going for walks on beautiful days, getting to be spend time with elderly relatives during their last days on earth, having friends of all different ages, doing nature study vs. only reading about it, striking up conversations with strangers in public (with my approval of course, and in appropriate situations only), going to the symphony, going to the opening day of our new local library and hearing the mayor's speech, seeing a portion of the Norman Rockwell art collection in person, helping me deliver meals to friends going through difficult times, apple picking, not being in a rush on field trips, etc....

We do need to stay home a bit more. I currently tell people we are on-the-go schoolers, not homeschoolers. ;)

• Like 2

Other than time, the testing that we did right as they each turned six. It told me things I needed to know and opened doors that I didn't even know existed. It also allowed me to relax about all things academic and focus on playing and experiencing life.

What sort of testing? Sorry if that's too personal, but it hit on a niggling thought/worry I've been ruminating on...

What sort of testing? Sorry if that's too personal, but it hit on a niggling thought/worry I've been ruminating on...

We did full iq and achievement tests plus some bonus tests that the tester thought would be important. It ruled out some problems and told us where to look for help in other ones. It was expensive and insurance did not pay, but totally worth it for us.

• Like 3

Freedom

I give a great deal of freedom with things like pricey art supplies, tools, material and supplies for making and doing.  My 10yo likes to snap pictures, and I allow her the use of the *nice* camera. They have use of my musical instruments.

Reading aloud.

:iagree:   I think reading aloud is my #1.  It's one thing that has been consistent since they were in diapers. They live in a different world than most of their peers b/c they have lived in so many great books.  

• Like 3

Forcing myself to be patient!

There have been times when my kids weren't meeting the academic goals I had set for them. Rather than push really hard, or let my own discouragement show, I was able (only with the help and encouragement of other homeschool parents!) to allow them to work at their own pace, or try a different approach. I frequently visualize a slippery ball, which to hold on to must be gently cradled and not grasped. That's a little out there maybe, but it helps me stay reasonable when things don't go the way I expect them to.

• Like 2

Travel. I love working with well-traveled kids and prefer them to book educated kids hands down. There's only so much one can learn from books. There's never ending learning available through travel.

Yes I suppose this is us as well. I don't do it for the kids though, i do it because I want to and kids come along. We will probably get on the road full time sometime next year.

I recently went through my audible account "completed books". That is an investment right there. Though again, probably an indicator of pointless driving more than anything else.

• Like 2

Morning Time (circle time, morning basket, etc.) has given us the biggest bang for our buck over the years.

http://www.simplyconvivial.com/memory

My own engagement and modeling and willingness to stick out a problem instead of letting it be ignored and passed over are also important elements, as is, of course, time - both my time and also their free time so they can process information on their terms and read widely independently. 

• Like 3

My kids were/are in public school. For them, the best investment was passing on my mother tongue so they are bilingual and bi literate. Also, reading out loud. They both love reading and have super high Lexiles. I wish I had invested more effort in my older daughter's math education. She did fine but could have done even better. I am more involved in my younger's.

• Like 1

Hmm, that's a tough one. I'm torn between two answers. ;)

On the one hand, I think the best investment has been with Words -- talking to them, listening to them, teaching explicit phonics (OPG, then AAS), reading aloud to them, listening to them read aloud to me, family meals times and conversations, explaining things, asking questions, answering questions, insisting on clear speech (not rushed or mumbled), intentional vocabulary development, and hours and hours and hours of listening to audiobooks (Jim Weiss, Your Story Hour, Rabbit Ears & more). When you think about it, most of this is free. Well, the audiobooks weren't free, but we did find some of them at the library. So I think a parent could do all of this "Word Work" for little cash outlay. The investment here is really time and effort.

On the other hand, I think the best investment has been with Math -- and we are not what could ever be considered a "mathy family," nor do we seem to have a single "mathy" kid. What has been invested here, IMO, has been consistency. We just do math regularly and consistently, and that really seems to have laid a good foundation up to this point. And, again, we haven't used the most expensive courses out there -- Horizons and CLE Math. Not super expensive, but effective enough (IMO).

Probably, the single biggest economic investment has been having me home teaching and mothering the girls, instead of out making an income. Time will tell if that was wise.

• Like 7

Because that spam thread made me think about it...

Of course, my snarky answer, based off his choice of title wording was "grammar lessons."

My real answer is probably "time." (<-- too intangible?)

We still have a lot of years ahead of us, and a lot to face before we will be able to answer this question though.

Our time investment.

Latin. 

A few good outsourced classes. 

Flexibility to follow interests.

• Like 2

Reading aloud

No TV or video games or at least not during school days except science, history, and handicraft YouTube videos.

Helping dc with their interests and hobbies. DS12 just bought a welder, and we're helping him figure it out and do projects.

Just focusing on the three R's and mostly unschooling/letting them pursue their interests with the rest, except art.

Make time for art. :)

Buying curricula that fits our family and needs rather than trying to do it for free/using what's cheap.

Giving them plenty of free time each day to pursue interests and play. 

Time spent finding good books and Reading aloud.

Yes! I spend crazy amounts of time tracking down books for the kids and borrowing them from the library or buying them used from Amazon. They pick from the library themselves, too, but usually love the things I bring home for them.  It's a full time job keeping books to read in this home!

I could add to my list, giving them a reading hour at bed time. 

• Like 1