Menu

Can we just get rid of Daylight Savings Time already?

JumpyTheFrog

I always miss the change when I live in a place that doesn't do it.  It part of the changing seasons for me.  I really dislike living in a place where it's DST all the time because the sun rises so late.  If I only get 10 hours of daylight, I'd rather have them from 7-5 than 8-6.

• Like 3

I heard on the news this morning that Texas is considering a bill to join Hawaii and Arizona in not observing it anymore.

When I was commuting I hated the timing of making the change.  I had to drive south a while every morning, and north every evening.  It seemed just as I needed to drive the sun would be low on the horizon, peaking in my driver's side window.  Just as the season progressed enough that the sun was finally NOT blinding me from the side during my commute they would change times again, and I'd get another few weeks of being blinded again.

I prefer more light in the mornings, since that's when people around here are on the streets exercising (to beat the heat of the day) or school kids are heading to bus stops.  Due to needing lots of drainage ditches we have no sidewalks, so pedestrians are in the streets.  During morning twilight it can be VERY hard to see them until you are on top of them, and I'd much rather the school kids not be walking to school or the bus stop in poor light.

• Like 6

They really should just go permanently to DST and stay there. They keep extending the amount if time spent in DST, anyway. Used to be April to October. Now March to November. Might as well just skip "fall back" this fall and be done with it.

Saskatchewan is permanently on DST. It's awesome.

• Like 7

To say I'm not a fan of DST would be like the hugest under-statement ever.  I loathe it with a white hot passion.  But I could live with it if the powers that be would just leave it.  To tantalize me with a scant few months of normal time is just cruel.  Put the clocks one way or another and leave them alone!

• Like 4

Everyone on FB is complaining about being tired and feeling jet lag and I'm thinking, "it's one hour, just one hour off! What's the big deal?"

Before kids, when I was still healthy and could sleep like normal people, going west two time zones screwed me up for three days. Going west is supposed to be the easy way, right? I don't want to think what it would do to me now.

Some people are just way more sensitive to stuff like this.

I'd be okay with either regular time or DST, I just want the clock changes to stop. Maybe we could split the difference and change the time permanently by 1/2 hour.

Incidently, DH is a programmer and says that dealing with time zones is the bane of a programmer's existence.

As it is for anyone who has to provide services or otherwise converse with coworkers located around the globe.  I used to keep a very elaborate spreadsheet of our different offices' time zones and when/if they made switches (and which way and by how much).  This spreadsheet was a pain to keep up so every time I updated it I shared it out to other work groups in the same fix.  We used it to determine when we could do system data loads for the different offices with the least amount of impact.

Not only do the dates for the time switches change each year, but the two hemispheres aren't switching the same way.  The northern hemisphere's spring roughly coincides with the southern hemisphere's fall.  It got really iteresting knowing when you might actually be locking data someone was in the midst of using.

• Like 1

Incidently, DH is a programmer and says that dealing with time zones is the bane of a programmer's existence.

It also boggles my mom twice a year. She lives in HI. When she calls I have to reminder her about the time change and then she has to ask specifically what time it is now and what time it will be for me with the time change. Twice a year, every year.

I grew up in HI and have lived many years (decades, lol) in states that observe DST but it still discombulates me. Twice a year, every year. :laugh:

The only advantage to it as far as I can see is that twice a year we get to practice resetting the clocks on our microwaves and ovens etc...   Good practice for power outages :p

I hate the clock moving thing.  Let's just all agree to stop.

-signed cranky, sleep deprived and have a headache

• Like 2

Before kids, when I was still healthy and could sleep like normal people, going west two time zones screwed me up for three days. Going west is supposed to be the easy way, right? I don't want to think what it would do to me now.

Some people are just way more sensitive to stuff like this.

Going west is relatively easy for dh.  I do better going east.  When we visited Hawaii for vacation I was falling apart the first evening after we arrived; when we got home I had to drag him through the airport and stuff him in the car while he was in collapse mode.

I thought maybe that had to do with me being a morning person and him being an evening person. 

Anyway, I think it varies a lot as to which is easier.

Or whine about it on a forum knowing it isn't really a big deal and will be forgotten by next week.

I'm going to guess that you live in a cooler climate or do not want to exercise outdoors during the summer.  Otherwise, it is a big deal, a constant annoyance during the hot summer months when, absent DST, we would not have the sun still up at 9 pm.  It is an annoyance for no particular benefit.  It does not save energy now that everything is air-conditioned.  It's like your little brother kicking the back of your seat when you are a kid--all it does is annoy with zero redeeming value.

• Like 6

I can never remember which way the clocks are supposed to go.

In real life, I tend to fall forward over things; rarely do I ever fall backward.

I also tend to spring backwards, away from things that surprise me...garter snakes or dead mice for example.

Spring forward, fall back just doesn't fly in my world.

Hence, Daylight Savings Time is for the birds. :D

• Like 2

I'm going to guess that you live in a cooler climate or do not want to exercise outdoors during the summer.  Otherwise, it is a big deal, a constant annoyance during the hot summer months when, absent DST, we would not have the sun still up at 9 pm.  It is an annoyance for no particular benefit.  It does not save energy now that everything is air-conditioned.  It's like your little brother kicking the back of your seat when you are a kid--all it does is annoy with zero redeeming value.

When the kids were younger it also made it horribly hard to get them to actually go to bed and go to sleep, no matter how tired they were.  I would really appreciate seeing some scientific studies (by that I mean I want to get to not only read their conclusions, but examine the RAW data and their methodologies) into the current (as in the 2010-2020 decade) advantages and costs of continuing to practice DST.  I've lived with it for 5 decades.  If it's truly useful I'll continue to live with it without grumbling.  But I want to know that is REALLY is advantageous, not just assumed to be so.  There are very real financial costs to this practice, on top of the effect in everyone's circadian rhythms. 

Ever since moving to AZ I always feel smug this time of year. I love not having to do the annual change anymore, although it stinks having to remember not to call my parents past six or seven this time of the year (three hour time difference)

For those of us who are sick of it getting dark at 4, DST makes a huge difference.

I wonder if the controversy follows a north-south divide?

Maybe the north can keep it and the southerners can have standard time?

:)

The farther you are from the equator the greater the difference between the length of daylight between the summer and winter solstices.  When I lived in MN we valued those longer evenings, even on hot, sticky days in the summer.  However, by the time "spring forward" came around we had sunrise early enough that we had daylight by the time we were headed off to school.

Now I live in SE Texas.  When "spring forward" time rolls around we have kids going to school in the dark or twilight, when they are harder to see as we drive down the street.  We also don't have sidewalks, so the kids walk in the street (the pavement of which happens to be dark -- pavement choice is determined here by what will survive the heat and traffic of summer).  Why no sidewalks?  Because we have drainage ditches.  Our water table is quite high (no basements here) so when it rains, here or inland from here, we get a lot of water running through on its way to the Gulf.  I never understood this sort of set-up when I lived in MN and visited southern California, but I get it now.

I'll be pointing out this feature of DST to my state government reps and senators.  Like I said in another post, I can continue to live with DST.  But I want to know it is worth the cost to continue to practice it.

I hate it! The streets are so dark on the way to school at 7:30am that's it's ridiculous. Our crossing guards are in reflective gear and have lights but it's still too dangerous IMO. We don't have school buses in our neighborhood since we're less than two miles so I drive dd. I especially hate it on the weekends because we end up sleeping in later due to it being so dark. We don't need the extra hour in the evening because it's still too hot at that time during the summer to do anything. It would be better to have that time in the morning.

Hear, hear!

I find it wildly difficult to get up in the dark.

DS does not.

However, something about it must be messing with his sleep, as this is the second day in a row there has been a meltdown over something trivial.

I want the sun up at 7, and I don't care a bit when it goes down.

I wonder if the love/hate relationship is dependent on morning people/morning activities vs. evening people with evening activity preferences. I am married to a night owl and he loves the long sunny evenings. He doesn't get home from work until 6 many evenings, so lots of sun means he can still be outdoors enjoying the evening after work. I am a morning person, but I don't get out in the early morning, so I really don't care much if it's dark in the morning. 

I deplore the swapping back and forth.

• Like 3