Menu

Is it just my kids?

fairfarmhand

AURGH!

Why don't my children tell me when they are getting low on things?

"Oh by the way mom, we need shampoo in our bathroom."

"Oh, I'll get some next time I am out."

"No, I mean there's nothing. Not a drop. We need it right now." And she's standing there wrapped in a towel, expecting me to jump in the car right now and go buy shampoo.

"Oh, mom, I'm wearing my last sanitary napkin."

"Oh, mom, I know you said we need to brush our teeth, but there's no toothpaste. Do you have any in your bathroom?"

"Oh, mom, My deodorant is completely gone. "

I do try to have a stash of these things, but the kids run through the stash and never mention it until they are at the very end of it all. 

And someone is drinking the shampoo around here. Why does an economy sized bottle of shampoo only last 10 days? Only one of my kids washes her hair daily.

Is it just my kids?

BTW,
I have my own shampoo and conditioner in my bathroom. I only wash my hair every other night or every third night, so I splurge and by myself a nicer brand. I am careful with how much I use so I don't waste it. My dh is the same way. So it annoys me to have my kids (particularly the one daughter who is the shampoo drinker) expect that "Oh we ran out. I'll use mom's."

Maybe I'm just a selfish old grump today.

Those same kids live at my house too :)  The 10pm "mom I need more tampons" or 6am "mom, didn't I tell you I needed ........... today"?  We live 15 miles from the store so it isn't just a quick run anywhere.  usually I have at least enough to tide us through the day/night until I can get to the store.

No, not just yours.

My pet peeve is when our oldest doesn't tell us one of her meds is low.  CVS isn't so bad, can get those in 24 hours, but some of them come from different compounding pharmacies and it takes a few days to get them here.  I am on top of most of it, as I fill all her pill boxes, but she keeps some critical ones in a bag she totes about everywhere.

I can tell you what I'd be tempted to say, but you might not want to go this route: Gee, kiddo, I'm sorry you ran out. Tell you what - I'll increase your allowance to cover the cost of toiletries, and from now on, get your own and stop bugging me.

When I was around the age of starting to use menstrual supplies, I got tasked with the family shopping (and I got to keep the change, so you know I didn't complain), and that method actually worked... more or less.

• Like 2

We had run out of toilet paper. That we have to walk over to the 24/7 supermarket to get whatever is cheapest.

When we run out of shampoo, we just use the body wash for the time being until the weekend.

My younger boy will tell for toothpaste, mouth rinse and floss. Not for anything else.

All. the. time.

Well, only one of mine. The other keeps close tabs on things. 

I also try to keep a stash but yeah, if they go through the stash...   I do ask periodically if there is something they are almost out of.

The worst is razor blades.  We order from Shavemob so it's not something I can run to the store for.   They have quick delivery but it's not instant.

It is the feminine products that run out here. I make sure it is well stocked and then when I need something, it's gone! I ask when we are at the store, do I need to buy anything? (Because it was well stocked when I last looked.) And they insist no that they haven't taken anything from the closet. But when I need some, sure enough, my warehouse sized boxes are empty. They make sure to let me know about shampoo, deodarant, toothpaste, but I don't recall either of them mentioning anything about feminine products ever.

I've resorted to keeping a spare of everything and checking that cabinet myself before a Target run. The spare might be gone, but we're not OUT out. It's just less stressful overall. My people are unreliable in this department.

For food, I've become passive aggressive.

Kid: Do we have any food?

Me: I bought everything you asked for when I went to the store two days ago.

Seriously, if you don't know what you want to eat and can't be bothered to think about it when I ask what you want, then you can't expect ME to know what you want much less get it home.

• Like 2

Not really. I generally have enough of a stash to avoid those problems popping up. I try to buy most of those things in advance, taking advantage of sales when possible.

WRT shampoo, are they using a pump bottle? I think that's so much easier to control. You can tell them how many pumps to use. And *do* tell them. Dh didn't realize he was using too much shampoo until one day we compared. He was using 2 pumps for hardly any hair and I'd been trying to stretch 1 pump for my shoulder-length, thick hair. After a good laugh we switched--he went down to 1, I went up to 2.

• Like 1

I make my kids write things on a list for when I go shopping. If it's not on the list and they run out, they have to wait until the next time I'm at the store.

After probably five or six late-night menstrual pad runs, when my dd tried it again I told her to roll up a hand towel and use it as a pad and that she could go with me before school the next morning to buy more. She never "ran out" of pads again.

• Like 6

Amazon prime subscribe & save is my friend. I also keep the backup stash in my bathroom so it's easy to check.

My oldest was going through gallons of shampoo. I have longer hair and use the same shampoo, so I told her any sooner replacements would be bought by her.

You can also put shampoo in those foaming dispensers and mix 1:4+ with water.

• Like 1

I regret to inform you that it doesn't always end when they grow up.  Two college kids home right now. One informed me she's out of feminine supplies and when I asked her how she could let herself run out, she implied it's my fault because I didn't have any in my bathroom for her to use as backup.  Well, dear, when you stop having periods, you stop stocking that item.  

Ds ran out of toothpaste and it didn't  bother him until two days later when he had a date. Two days. He's 20 years old.  He spent two days brushing his teeth with mouthwash. 

I cling to hope that this will resolve itself one day, since their older sisters don't do this. 

• Like 4

I have three of such things in the house.  One is currently being used and two are ready to go. I keep all such items in one place and I have a list on my phone. When something gets taken from the 'pantry' I buy another one. Before I go shopping I check my stores and anything with less than two items on the shelf gets bought.

I am lucky in that the kids don't raid it. They always ask either me or dh to get something if it is needed. Make no mistake, it is due to sheer laziness on their part.

And, like someone mentioned upthread...no shampoo? They would just skip it and not tell me.  Their attitude would be, 'Hey, one less thing to wash, so :thumbup1: '

We have only one bathroom with a shower, so it is unlikely that an adult wouldn't notice the toothpaste or shampoo running out etc. That also makes it easier. If I had two or more full baths, forget about it. I wouldn't know what to do, lol.

But having three of any one item in the house really does make a difference. I have soap, shampoo, packages of toilet paper, floss, tissue, dishwasher soap,vitamins etc etc all on one bookcase in the basement. We haven't run out of anything necessary in years.

I regret to inform you that it doesn't always end when they grow up.  Two college kids home right now. One informed me she's out of feminine supplies and when I asked her how she could let herself run out, she implied it's my fault because I didn't have any in my bathroom for her to use as backup.  Well, dear, when you stop having periods, you stop stocking that item.  

Ds ran out of toothpaste and it didn't  bother him until two days later when he had a date. Two days. He's 20 years old.  He spent two days brushing his teeth with mouthwash. 

I cling to hope that this will resolve itself one day, since their older sisters don't do this. 

Worse, they complain to me like it's my fault that the thing they used up is now all gone (and then receive some stern words)

Worse yet, "There's nothing to eat."  Oh really?

That's what takes the cake.  I get the attitude and complaining if we're out and I don't rush right away to the store.

"Yes, scrape the crumbs from the deodorant and smear it on your armpits, because I'm not rushing out at 7 am to go save your bacon. That's what I do when I forget to buy it for myself."

• Like 2

Well, pretty much everyone in our house is like that. We wait until we run out of something and then we go buy it.

How would it go otherwise? "I'm running low..."? We would just procrastinate. :( We just buy tons when it's on sale.

Common things said:

"Are we out of toilet paper again?"

"How could we have drunk all that wine?"

"We are NOT out of bread again."

"We should just buy milk every time we enter the store. Because we're out... again."

"Hey kids, grocery donuts for breakfast this morning!"

We are poor planners.

• Like 1

That's what takes the cake.  I get the attitude and complaining if we're out and I don't rush right away to the store.

"Yes, scrape the crumbs from the deodorant and smear it on your armpits, because I'm not rushing out at 7 am to go save your bacon. That's what I do when I forget to buy it for myself."

There you go, valuable life lesson for them right there!

6123177415beae539cdbd4e41dce3cd2.png

• Like 6

No, but we only use one of our bathrooms for showering and brushing teeth, so I'm able to keep on top of what's running low.

I actually have a set list of toiletries and medicines that I buy. The week we get the first paycheck of the month, I go to WalMart, where I buy a set amount of shampoo, conditioner, feminine protection, deodorant, dish soap, and the meds we need for the month. I only buy those things in other stores if I see a big sale. I actually have a list on my fridge where I write things we need from our monthly WM trip. Also, Amazon brings me certain things every couple of months.

• Like 1

The thing that is the worst is when they don't tell me there is no kitty litter. We live 60 miles from the nearest place to buy some. Twice dd has not told me we were out of kitty litter until we were just back from the store. ARRRGGGGHHH.

This is what my children do!  On my way to the store I go to each person and ask if there is anything that is needed, upon my arrival back home someone will remember some crucial item. 

"Oh, yeah we are out of trash bags" or  "I forgot to tell you I used the last of the shampoo last night." 

Me responding, "Well, get into the linen closet and get the backup." 

Child, "Sister x played with it in the bathtub and dumped it all out a week ago, and I forgot to tell you." 

AHHHH!!!!

• Like 3

My kids still do this sometimes.  

Of course, I don't think my teenage sons can even tell the difference between shampoo and conditioner.  WE had to have a little talk about his recently bc son's hair was greasy after taking a shower.

I tend to stock up on these kinds of items when they go on sale and keep them in our hall closet.  Everyone knows where they are, but they usually still ask me when they run out.  They are slowing getting better, but as my kids are on the brink of college, so it took some time.  :D

How old? Once mine are old enough to drive, they are responsible for their own items. If they run out, they can make the trip to get them. If they have to run and get them, they have to pay. If they want me to pick them up, they can put them on my list on the fridge. If they are on the list, I will happily pay for them. (If they are what I buy, if they want some $ item they must get it themselves.) I will happily lend them something they cannot do without (fem. product for immediate use for example), but if they need more they can go get it. Shampoo? It can wait. Antipersperant? It can wait. Soap? Do without until you get it or I go to store.

It is harder when they are unable to drive. Then, I just had to keep an eye on it myself (where i sometimes did mess up).

DH is like about is Rx meds-- really-- you couldn't have called that in YESTERDAY?? --when we were there-- you know, to stock up on food because of the SNOW STORM ???? The snow storm that hit today??? 

The children used to do that with dog food-- I buy that at Sam's club-- I need at least a weeks notice for that -- you must tell me when there is 3 inches of food left!!-- I know to ask about that stuff now (and have three days worth stored somewhere) 

I do have them trained with the milk-- it is almost annoying now to have them tell me four times (because everything comes in multiples of four here) that there are Four gallons left, then THREE gallons , then TWO..... sigh I get it--

Maybe I'm just a selfish old grump today.

Pfft, I'm way grumpier than you - I get annoyed when they do tell me, because they are supposed to write it on the list!! The list that has been in the same general location, in a central area of the house, for longer than the children have been alive. 

My kids are actually good about it; it's dh who apparently needs another 25 years to figure it out. 

dh, yelling at me in the living room as he leans on the kitchen counter: Hey, we need peanut butter! 

me: Really? You can literally touch the pen and shopping list from where you are - yes, that list, the list that has been on every refrigerator we have ever had! I do not have special list-writing powers, do not tell me, WRITE IT ON THE LIST!! 

dh: Um, I wrote it on the list. Can I grab you a Mike's or something? 

• Like 3

Pfft, I'm way grumpier than you - I get annoyed when they do tell me, because they are supposed to write it on the list!! The list that has been in the same general location, in a central area of the house, for longer than the children have been alive.

My kids are actually good about it; it's dh who apparently needs another 25 years to figure it out.

dh, yelling at me in the living room as he leans on the kitchen counter: Hey, we need peanut butter!

me: Really? You can literally touch the pen and shopping list from where you are - yes, that list, the list that has been on every refrigerator we have ever had! I do not have special list-writing powers, do not tell me, WRITE IT ON THE LIST!!

Our list is shared among our iPhones. DH will be holding his phone and tell me we are out of something. Well, gee, maybe the magical device you are holding in your hand can help you with that, dear!

• Like 2

Pfft, I'm way grumpier than you - I get annoyed when they do tell me, because they are supposed to write it on the list!! The list that has been in the same general location, in a central area of the house, for longer than the children have been alive.

me: Really? You can literally touch the pen and shopping list from where you are - yes, that list, the list that has been on every refrigerator we have ever had! I do not have special list-writing powers, do not tell me, WRITE IT ON THE LIST!!

A scene from my own life.

I can't not plan ahead.  Because if I leave things to the last minute, it's very likely that DH will go to the store, and get everything he wants, which amounts to $60-100 of junk that's gone in three days.  It can be a budget killer.  I try and leave some slush in that budget for when I get sick, but really it's best if I'm the only one who does the shopping.  Meal planning = my friend.

• Like 1