Menu

"Around the house" clothes

anmom

I will freely admit I am one of those women who changes my clothes as soon as I walk in the door. If I have nowhere to go that day, I'm in yoga pants and a t-shirt all day. I want to be comfortable at home, but I also don't want to look like a slob. DH has offered to send me shopping for comfortable clothes after Christmas since mine have gotten threadbare.

What do you wear when you are home all day? Where are your favorite places to shop?

I think that a fitted tee and yoga pants in good shape are fine. I might wear that during spring and fall. Since I'm always cold right now I usually wear fleece lined leggings and longish sweaters at home ( note I got the sweaters at Goodwill so this isn't expensive). It's stretch and warm and I can fit cuddl duds under.

I think that a fitted tee and yoga pants in good shape are fine. I might wear that during spring and fall. Since I'm always cold right now I usually wear fleece lined leggings and longish sweaters at home ( note I got the sweaters at Goodwill so this isn't expensive). It's stretchy and warm and I can fit cuddl duds under.

LOL I'm not saying I want to change completely. I love my yoga pants, I would just like something better than that and old baseball t-shirts!

I should have added that I am a voluptuous woman :) so jeans just aren't comfortable!

Oops, just saw this! I hope you can find something comfy for you that makes *you* feel good. :)

I usually wear a T-shirt and long pajama bottoms.  Most of my pajama bottoms were Christmas gifts from my sister, who bought them at Victoria's Secret.  (They are decent, I promise.)  I also have some comfy bottoms that are like sweat pants, but without elastic at the bottom.  If it's chilly, I will wear a fleece top or similar over my T-shirt.

I find well fitting jeans really comfortable. I don't prefer personally to look nicer for people I see occasionally vs those I care for most, with the exception of church. I don't feel anywhere as motivated if I wear pajamas all day, so that weighs into it, as well. :)

Hubby completely is fine and agrees I should be comfortable at home. I do have cute clothes for going out too that our comfortable, it just isn't the same.

Thus the reason for this post. I would love to still wear yoga type stuff but look half way cute when I do it! I saw someone yesterday at soccer practice wearing leggings and a t-shirt but threw a little sweater and a scarf with it and it was super cute. I'm just not good at figuring that out on my own!

In winter I'm a jeans and t girl. It's summer and hot. I have a couple of loose fitting linen dresses that I bought online cheaply. They are seriously great for round the house. They don't make me sweat so I can wear them a couple of days between washes and they are cool and comfy even when it's really hot.

For something that feels as comfy as yoga pants but looks more stylish, I go leggings and a tunic. Same soft feel but a bit neater.

Dh wants me to be comfortable, but *I* want to be mindful that he's out of the house at work all day and would like for him to come home to a neat house, a planned dinner, and me not looking like I just rolled out of bed. Yoga pants and t shirts can be fine, if they fit well and aren't old and ratty.  I usually either have jeans or yoga pants on, and a t shirt or sweater.  It's cold where we live so I sometimes have to resist the urge to greet him at the door in my warm robe.  I'm sure he would say he doesn't care but I think he appreciates my efforts. 

I think yoga pants and a nicer tee shirt look just fine on many women.

I don't have any around the house clothes.  I prefer to get dressed in the morning as if I am going out.  It makes me feel more productive (even though I don't always follow through with that feeling ;)).  But I only wear comfortable stuff, and I'm no help as far as cute stuff.  I have a fairly uniform way of dressing -- in the summer it's capri pants and dressier, semi-fitted tees.  In the summer it's jeans (with a bit of lycra for comfort) and a mock neck or long sleeved tee shirt.   Basic L.L. Bean type clothes.

Dh wants me to be comfortable, but *I* want to be mindful that he's out of the house at work all day and would like for him to come home to a neat house, a planned dinner, and me not looking like I just rolled out of bed. Yoga pants and t shirts can be fine, if they fit well and aren't old and ratty. I usually either have jeans or yoga pants on, and a t shirt or sweater. It's cold where we live so I sometimes have to resist the urge to greet him at the door in my warm robe. I'm sure he would say he doesn't care but I think he appreciates my efforts.

This is what I'm talking about though! I need help figuring out where to get ones that fit well and look good! Where do you get yours?

I wear yoga pants.

All. the. time.  

And I'm totally cool with that.  DH thinks yoga pants are great, too.  Not that it matters.   :D   :lol:

My yoga pants are from VS.  

Generally I wear a shirt like this.  It fits me differently than the models (shocker! :lol: ) - but truth be told, I like the way it fits me better.   :p

In the summer I wear shorts every day.

(Oh, and I definitely wear yoga pants out of the house.  What I wear all together looks pretty put together. :) )

Kohl's or Dick's sporting goods usually. I only wear black yoga pants and I just try them on to find something that looks decent.  Mine are solid black- no stripes or anything, and they easily pass for just casual black pants.  For jeans I buy Lauren Conrad jeans at Kohl's but jeans are so personal...I tried on everything that was recommended to me and none felt right. But these are just right. 

When my yoga pants start looking worn, too stretched out, or whatever, they get rotated into either sleep pants, cycling pants, or woe in the yard pants.  

I like to wear Landsend Sport Corduroy knit pants around the house. They are sorta like soft sweat pants but look classier. 

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-fit-3-sport-knit-corduroy-pants/id_46374

In the winter, I'm usually wearing a long sleeve tshirt (love the Pima Cotton ones from LLBean - so soft) and a soft flannel, corduroy, or fleece button up shirt over it.

Acorn fleece slippers for my feet. They probably don't go with what I wear, but they are colorful and bright and make me happy while keeping my feet warm!

My husband loves yoga pants too. I get mine at Izod. He does get a little upset that my fitted t shirts are a little thin. I like Eddie Bauer sweaters because they don't seem to fade and are really thick. They look fancier then my old hooded sweatshirts. I love The Loft sun dresses for the summer. I get everything on clearance only.

What happened to the "official" homeschool uniform of denim jumper and t-shirt or turtleneck with white keds or birkenstocks?????

I change my clothes many times a day.  I do barn chores so that is either barn jeans and an old t-shirt or hoodie, or my carhartts thrown over long johns.

In the house I tend to wear exercise pants (looser fit though then yoga pants which are not good on a plus size mom) and a t shirt or sweatshirt.

I really prefer long stretchy skirts but DH doesn't like those and truth be told, I am short and dumpy so it wasn't a good look for me. I've been wearing yoga pants with longer shirts, because my rear is epic and no one needs to see that without a second layer blocking the view. I've never found comfortable jeans. I know what you mean because I've seen those catalogs with women in yoga pants who look put together but that kind of thing never seems to translate well to my actual real life body. But I do wear them out of the house and I don't hang on to clothes that are so ratty that I would not want to wear them to Walmart lest I get photographed by an alert bystander. 

I realized today that I don't have a huge difference between "out" and "home" clothes.  At home, I usually wear jean & a knit shirt, light makeup.  When it's cold, I have a cardigan over the shirt.  I could also wear that out to most anywhere i go day-to-day--grocery shopping, taking the boys to band, etc.

If I were going to an adult social event, I would wear a slightly nicer shirt and/or sweater and more jewelry, neater hair and slightly more makeup.

I was just thinking about it today because it seems like more people do the yoga pants/event tshirt at home, then look super-nice with blown-out hair and jewelry and makeup when they go out--I look more pulled together than them at home, but less pulled together when I go out :)

B--

I look horrific in yoga pants.  I'm not overweight; I'm a runner. But i have a lot of lumps and bumps that jeans skim over while yoga pants scream, "LOOK HERE!!!!"

I'm not a terribly vain, figure conscious person--but I do know that yoga pants are not a look for me to rock in public unless I'm running--

B--

I may be dense, but I think women look just fine in yoga pants when they are out & about.  I think it suits a woman's figure better than jeans.

I usually wear jeans, just because that's what I'm used to.  Old habits are hard to break.

jeans and t-shirts.  I buy jeans at Costco - I buy t-shirts at various places.

dh wears fleece bottoms at home  (currently has a dr. suess red fish blue fish pattern.). that was an improvement over cheap gray sweats.  (gross.)  did I mention he works from home?  so I see him in them a. lot.

I wear yoga pants while doing  . . . yoga.  (If I'm not doing it first thing, I will put them on first thing as a reminder to do yoga.  I'm also wearing a yoga tank with them. I change as soon as I'm done.)  they're getting loose (and even baggy in places).  :D

I'm glad I'm not alone in the yoga pants uniform.  Lately, however, I've begun to feel as though I'm wearing pajamas if I wear yoga pants to the grocery store.  Fortunately, it's winter so there's something more substantial to cover the back than the longer shirts I have that tend to ride up when I'm in a hurry.  If I'm going to a doctor appointment, I at least put on some jeans and a cardigan - that sounds kinda pathetic, doesn't it  :tongue_smilie:.  Maybe it would be different if I actually wore makeup like my neighbors do.

I may be dense, but I think women look just fine in yoga pants when they are out & about.  I think it suits a woman's figure better than jeans.

I usually wear jeans, just because that's what I'm used to.  Old habits are hard to break.

I think that this is *really* figure dependent. I wear skinny jeans 95% of the time because it helps give me the illusion of being a little curvier. Yoga pants make me look really spindly for some reason. I only wear workout clothes to work out, my vanity couldn't handle them in public. 

I don't own yoga pants either & I'm honestly not even sure what they are. I thought they were tight like leggings but short like capris. I don't do yoga so never even considered buying them. Maybe I need to reconsider.

Lots of different variations of 'yoga pants'. Mine are full length, fairly form fitting in the seat, slightly looser in the thigh, and kind of like bell bottoms at the bottom.  I don't do yoga but I do wear them to the gym to work out. They are SO comfy. 

I wear long-sleeved t-shirts or sweat shirts in the winter with sweats or pajama pants for hanging around the house.  If I need to go somewhere (and actually get out of the car), I'll just put on some jeans and call it good.  In the summer, it's capri's and t-shirts around the house, substituting jeans for going off.  But, I'm a no muss, no fuss kind of girl.  I don't wear make-up, and the only reason I wear shoes is because stores won't let me in barefoot. :D

Lots of different variations of 'yoga pants'. Mine are full length, fairly form fitting in the seat, slightly looser in the thigh, and kind of like bell bottoms at the bottom.   

this.

I'd like to find some carpi's for doing yoga that are just as comfortable. though - I may now be past that stage . . . yoga pants are fine for some of the more complex poses - provided you're not a complete newb and need to grab your shin.

I've been a total slob in yoga pants this week for a myriad of reasons, but most days I wear cheap cotton knit dresses around the house.  A lot of them come from Old Navy or Target, and others are from other random places.  They are just as comfortable as yoga pants but look more put together.  I have leggings and maxi skirts and other options including knee high boots to make them work for the winter.  Also, living in Oklahoma it doesn't get as cold here as it did when I lived in other climates.  I chose the dresses partially because of the advice of an occupational therapist, who said I would feel better if I made a point to get dressed everyday in something that wasn't pajamas or sweats.  I couldn't find anything else that was as comfortable as stretchy knits but didn't make me look like a slob.  I have sundresses that I wear with layers in the winter, and I have a couple with long sleeves that I only wear when it's cold.

Fitted trackies/yoga pants and long sleeve T (add thick socks and a cardy in winter) is my 'uniform'. When going out and wanting to look slightly more decent, I change the pants for a long skirt in summer, or pop a  knee-length knit skirt over the top in winter. And that's about it, unless it's a serious occasion (wedding or funeral-level serious warrants an actual proper 'outfit'). I seldom have any desire to look 'put together'. Being free to dress for comfort is one of the perks of homeschooling, so why not enjoy it?

I look horrific in yoga pants.  I'm not overweight; I'm a runner. But i have a lot of lumps and bumps that jeans skim over while yoga pants scream, "LOOK HERE!!!!"

I'm not a terribly vain, figure conscious person--but I do know that yoga pants are not a look for me to rock in public unless I'm running--

B--

It's been said before, it can never be said enough...

Jesus forgives,

Lycra doesn't.

Hubby completely is fine and agrees I should be comfortable at home. I do have cute clothes for going out too that our comfortable, it just isn't the same.

Thus the reason for this post. I would love to still wear yoga type stuff but look half way cute when I do it! I saw someone yesterday at soccer practice wearing leggings and a t-shirt but threw a little sweater and a scarf with it and it was super cute. I'm just not good at figuring that out on my own!

Leggings and a long sleeve t make a great base. Over that, throw on a knit skirt or dress and a cardigan. When you go out, a cute fitted jacket and tall boots elevate the outfit and pull it all together. It's a cute look--very polished and put together, but super comfy because the base is just leggings and a t.

I haven't read the rest of the responses yet, but have you heard of a capsule wardrobe? Basically it's paring down your wardrobe to a minimum of items that you truly love and that can be mixed together for various looks. I don't do it completely, but the idea resonates with me. At home, I want to comfortable but I'm more productive and feel better about myself if I feel pulled together too. The above has been my winter staple--it's very flexible. If it's very cold, swap the base layers for fleece lined; in summer switch to capris under the skirt and cute sneakers.