Menu

"Around the house" clothes

anmom

What happened to the "official" homeschool uniform of denim jumper and t-shirt or turtleneck with white keds or birkenstocks?????

I KNEW there was something I was missing when I was homeschooling.  Fine time to remind me what it is now - after my homeschooling days are over!

My at home clothes are jeans and old/stained shirts of any sort under a sweatshirt or fleece in the winter.  In the summer it's nylon type shorts with some sort of pullover shirt - usually not t-shirts with writing on them, but basic "summer" shirts or polo types.  At home they will still be my old/stained types as my family and all of our critters simply don't care.  Actually, they might care.  If I were to wear something "good" out with the ponies, the first thing they do is get it dirty - probably so it looks and smells correctly.  The cats can be guilty of this too.

I rarely buy new clothes as I missed that "loves to shop" gene.  However, any new clothes I get are used for going out in public for their first life whether that public is school, church, grocery shopping, or travel.  Once they get older or dinged up, then they switch into the "at home" clothes category.  I hardly ever buy anything that isn't comfortable.  I see no point in doing so except for very rare situations (weddings, etc).

It's been similar since my youth except they were called "play clothes" then.

I've raised my boys to be the same way.  If we didn't live on a farm, maybe it would be different, but I'm not really sure.

I usually wear a T-shirt and long pajama bottoms. Most of my pajama bottoms were Christmas gifts from my sister, who bought them at Victoria's Secret. (They are decent, I promise.) I also have some comfy bottoms that are like sweat pants, but without elastic at the bottom. If it's chilly, I will wear a fleece top or similar over my T-shirt.

This is my standard outfit. I have loose pj pants (in black, gray, or purple), and I pair them with soft, v-neck T-shirts. If I leave the house, I switch to jeans and a (usually dorky, screen-print) t-shirt.

I like to wear Landsend Sport Corduroy knit pants around the house. They are sorta like soft sweat pants but look classier. 

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-fit-3-sport-knit-corduroy-pants/id_46374

In the winter, I'm usually wearing a long sleeve tshirt (love the Pima Cotton ones from LLBean - so soft) and a soft flannel, corduroy, or fleece button up shirt over it.

Acorn fleece slippers for my feet. They probably don't go with what I wear, but they are colorful and bright and make me happy while keeping my feet warm!

Those are my winter pants too. I can wear them a few days without needing to wash and they are the super comfy. Probably the most comfy pants I have ever worn.

Leggings and a long sleeve t make a great base. Over that, throw on a knit skirt or dress and a cardigan. When you go out, a cute fitted jacket and tall boots elevate the outfit and pull it all together. It's a cute look--very polished and put together, but super comfy because the base is just leggings and a t.

:iagree:

This is pretty much me. Plus a pair of GAP jeans with some lycra. For the hols  I got some  pants which are like dress jeggings with 2 way stretch.

I wear a lot of stuff from lulu to & from: http://shop.lululemon.com/products/category/to-and-from?mnid=mn;CAwomen;activities;toandfrom  (or knock off's to get the look at less $)  At the link they have 'How We Wear It" look book.

My basic rule for clothes: must have pockets somewhere PLUS  I have to be comfortable, I have to be able to bend down, I have to be able to play with my dogs, I have to be able to run, I have to be able to dance, I have to be able to get into a yoga pose. I must be able to fend off attackers with amazeballs ninja moves.  I do those things sort of spontaneously :D

My absolute best outfits I can comfortably sleep in, get up, and walk out the door looking awesomesauce.

I like to wear Landsend Sport Corduroy knit pants around the house. They are sorta like soft sweat pants but look classier. 

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-fit-3-sport-knit-corduroy-pants/id_46374

In the winter, I'm usually wearing a long sleeve tshirt (love the Pima Cotton ones from LLBean - so soft) and a soft flannel, corduroy, or fleece button up shirt over it.

Acorn fleece slippers for my feet. They probably don't go with what I wear, but they are colorful and bright and make me happy while keeping my feet warm!

you may have converted me. Their sport knit paints, of various kinds look perfect for me. Now to find a shirt to go with them....

I wear at home what I wear out.  I do have special outfits that are only worn for dressier events like Sunday morning worship service or a special date night with dh.  Aside from that I dress in a way that I would not be embarrassed if I had a quick store run.  I feel better when I dress better and prefer to set an example for my children.  I rarely let them lounge in pajamas or sweats, and don't think it is appropriate for me to either.

Leggings and a long sleeve t make a great base. Over that, throw on a knit skirt or dress and a cardigan. When you go out, a cute fitted jacket and tall boots elevate the outfit and pull it all together. It's a cute look--very polished and put together, but super comfy because the base is just leggings and a t.

I haven't read the rest of the responses yet, but have you heard of a capsule wardrobe? Basically it's paring down your wardrobe to a minimum of items that you truly love and that can be mixed together for various looks. I don't do it completely, but the idea resonates with me. At home, I want to comfortable but I'm more productive and feel better about myself if I feel pulled together too. The above has been my winter staple--it's very flexible. If it's very cold, swap the base layers for fleece lined; in summer switch to capris under the skirt and cute sneakers.

Can you show pics (online examples, maybe)? And links to items? I think i know what you're talking about but I need visuals.

Thanks! 

Sorry for kidnapping thread :)

LOL I'm not saying I want to change completely. I love my yoga pants, I would just like something better than that and old baseball t-shirts!

I should have added that I am a voluptuous woman :) so jeans just aren't comfortable!

Meh, I'm slim and there is no way jeans are as nice as yoga pants. That's not a curve thing, that is just a question of yoga pants being the best thing ever.

It's all I can do to keep on my cute office clothes long enough for my partner to get a glimpse of dinner. Then I'm out of the office stuff and straight into yoga pants and a sports-themed cotton tee-shirt.

I do have some GREAT maxi dresses from Old Navy that he enjoys looking at in the summer.

Not to say I dress for him, but I'm guessing if it were just you you'd not be asking for advice?

I love when these threads pop up because I often think" yea maybe I should dress a little better at home." Then I remember that dh prefers me in pajamas and yoga pants because they make my butt look especially awesome. Knowing that is the reason i started dressing like that at home in the first place.

As for good fitting yoga pants. Dick's and Kohls have been the best places I've found them. Most other places seem to be too loose and end up sagging at the butt too soon after purchasing

When it is cool outside I tend to wear jeans or khaki type pants and a nice t-shirt.  When it is warm outside I wear shorts and the t-shirt.  Of course, I dress this way when I go out to do something as well.  I like being comfortable all the time.  I only wear tennis shoes.  On the Sundays I join my mother at church, I will put on a nice shirt (not t-shirt) and the same pants (not jeans).

:iagree:

This is pretty much me. Plus a pair of GAP jeans with some lycra. For the hols I got some pants which are like dress jeggings with 2 way stretch.

I wear a lot of stuff from lulu to & from: http://shop.lululemon.com/products/category/to-and-from?mnid=mn;CAwomen;activities;toandfrom (or knock off's to get the look at less $) At the link they have 'How We Wear It" look book.

My basic rule for clothes: must have pockets somewhere PLUS I have to be comfortable, I have to be able to bend down, I have to be able to play with my dogs, I have to be able to run, I have to be able to dance, I have to be able to get into a yoga pose. I must be able to fend off attackers with amazeballs ninja moves. I do those things sort of spontaneously :D

My absolute best outfits I can comfortably sleep in, get up, and walk out the door looking awesomesauce.

Is awesomesauce a real word?! My DS says it and I totally thought he made it up! :)

Those are pretty much my requirements too. I like to look cute and pulled together, but if I can work in some spontaneous planks or pull on some sneakers and go for a bike ride or a hike without changing, that's best. I never really know what our days might bring but I always want to be appropriately dressed for it without trying. :)

I will freely admit I am one of those women who changes my clothes as soon as I walk in the door. If I have nowhere to go that day, I'm in yoga pants and a t-shirt all day. I want to be comfortable at home, but I also don't want to look like a slob. DH has offered to send me shopping for comfortable clothes after Christmas since mine have gotten threadbare.

What do you wear when you are home all day? Where are your favorite places to shop?

Absolutely.  We have "home clothes" as well as clothes we wear everywhere.  I just am more comfortable in loose stuff I wear at home.   We all do it now. 

I wear at home what I wear out.  I do have special outfits that are only worn for dressier events like Sunday morning worship service or a special date night with dh.  Aside from that I dress in a way that I would not be embarrassed if I had a quick store run.  I feel better when I dress better and prefer to set an example for my children.  I rarely let them lounge in pajamas or sweats, and don't think it is appropriate for me to either.

((((soul sister))))) :cheers2:

I feel the exact same way.  As in, I have no problem whatsoever wearing my yoga pants and the shirt I'm wearing to the store.  I don't find what I wear embarrassing in public at all - I look cute.  Whether I look cute in yoga pants or leggings or jeans or a skirt doesn't matter.  

As for the kids, i couldn't care less what they wear.  They are their own people, and they dress as such.  :)

Just some input from the other side of the tracks.  :D  :lol:

In cool weather, I wear jeans and a long-sleeved shirt (sometimes a sweatshirt purloined from DH's closet). I wear skirts/dresses so rarely that DS sometimes forgets the words in between. I wear yoga pants to work out (read: not much lately) or when I'm sick.

At home or a park I often wear sneakers, but I find that changing into nicer shoes can change the look of the outfit. So you might consider whether your footwear is helping you achieve the look you want or whether that's something you want to change.

If we aren't going out or having anyone over, then there's a good chance I'll just stay in pajamas all day. This ends up being once or twice a week. The rest of the time I'm in jeans and a t-shirt. If it's cold, I add a hoodie. That is my entire wardrobe. I do not own "nice" clothes, dresses, sweaters, leggings, or yoga pants. Jeans. T-shirts. Hoodies. Period. One pair of shoes (sketchers).

Yeah, I am so not fashionable! lol

I used to wear yoga pants at home all the time, but I gained 20 lbs and hardly noticed due to the stretchy waist band. Now I wear skinny jeans at home and out and about, or leggings. I can feel better when my waistband is getting snug. At home I'll wear a long tee and cardigan with it but when I go out I wear a scarf or jewelry and a nicer shirt and riding boots or booties.

I just got three of these sweatshirts, I love them so much. They are kind of baggy and slouchy but somehow still cute with jeans. And so comfy with yoga pants or sweats. I have been living in them lately.

http://www.maurices.com/product/index.jsp?expcsl=1138786%7c%7c&productId=34307296

Are these thicker or the really thin type that has become the trend lately. I don't mind paying more if the material is thicker, but I am so over shirts getting tiny holes in them because they were too thin to begin with. Thanks!

Find a sweatpants alternative uniform and google capsule wardrobes. I love maxi dresses in the summer. In winter I will wear a knee length skirt with leggings and flats or skinny(ish) jeans and a fitted top. I might add a scarf or jacket when I dash to the store, but my family gets my best.

You gals have inspired me. Went to Kohls today. Bought some  Vera Wang skinny pants (more structured than leggings) and a long shirt short sleeve exposed zipper shirt mid thigh. super comfy with an edge with the shirt and i can dress it up with a cardigan to wear out. I like these pants, they have a bit of stretch but not flimsy like regular leggins. They had some textured ones also if I wear these often I'll invest in another style pair. 

Can't find online pics, sorry.

But got really great sewing ideas, I can totally make trendy tops that are long and flowy and copy some of those design ideas.