Menu

Dinner the night *before* Thanksgiving

marbel

In the midst of preparation for tomorrow, the last thing I want to think about is dinner tonight.

What do y'all do for dinner the night before a feast, if you are home and need to feed your family?   Mine does not like sandwiches or "breakfast for dinner."   My husband eats 1-2 eggs for breakfast every.single.morning so I don't want to make a quiche.   Bean soups, ugh.

Just looking for inspiration! 

Our tradition is to watch Planes, Trains, and Automobiles the night before Thanksgiving and we have popcorn and appetizers.   Yeah, it's junky food but it's tradition. 

Planes,Trains, and Automobiles!!! If I weren't going to a wedding reception tonight that is exactly what we'd be doing!!! Will have to wait till tomorrow to watch it though!

On the years I host my mother's side of the family (20 to 30 people) and we don't order a pizza for Thanksgiving Eve, some years I do ribs and BBQ sauce in the crock pot, jar of peaches from Costco or canned green beans and frozen corn nuked in the microwave. I use disposable plates, napkins and cups.  I only have to clean utensils and the crock pot. Some years I do a packaged lasagna and packaged salad.  Some years it's chicken tacos with that handy little chicken taco spice packet.

On a related note, I really do need to go give my SIL a big hug for hosting and my brother for being willing to renovate the inside of their house so they could host sometimes too. I've thanked them already but somehow it just doesn't seem like enough.

My parents would always basically say no breakfast and no lunch on Thanksgiving...that used to drive me crazy because I can't eat a bunch at one meal.  They make lots of money on me at buffets and stuff.  I always take a normal plateful of food...that's it.  I don't go back for seconds or thirds or anything.

So for us, tonight, we'll probably do pizza.  We'll have turkey bacon and popovers tomorrow for breakfast (easy for me)....and depending on how things go...probably eat Thanksgiving around 1ish....and then have turkey sandwiches later.  Oh, must go buy bread! :)

I'm making pasta carbonara and spaghetti squash carbonara because about 90% will be eaten at dinner they can finish it off for lunch tomorrow.   Were doing Thanksgiving for an early dinner here and I always make omelets and Land of Nod for breakfast on TG morning while we watch the Macy's day parade.  

The kids are going to be dining on quality kraft mac n cheese and hot dogs. I have a bowl of tomato soup and a sandwich wrap. :lol:

We are not actually having Thanksgiving tomorrow, dh is working ALL DAY and so we won't see him from 5 am to midnight. We are having Thanksgiving on the weekend. I am just lazy and didn't want to cook. :)

They all get their comfort food tomorrow, so tonight we're having mine. Sometimes we start the pie-eating the night before because there can never be too much pie.

I don't appreciate pie....well...not fruit pie.  I like pecan pie, chocolate cream pie, banoffee pie....basically pies with no illusions of healthy ingredients.  Apple sounds almost good for you. :)

I don't appreciate pie....well...not fruit pie.  I like pecan pie, chocolate cream pie, banoffee pie....basically pies with no illusions of healthy ingredients.  Apple sounds almost good for you. :)

We're having pumpkin, raspberry, mint chocolate cream, and ricotta. If we need more, I'll make a sour cream apple pie. Or maybe I'll make one tonight.  I tried a pecan pie once and it was way too sweet and pecans are too pricey for me to make one myself.  I'm not a big fan of bananas in pie either.

Typically I just plan a normal dinner based on activities.  My DS and DD still have meetings tonight.  I was supposed to make enchiladas and refried beans, but I have a sick kiddo and I am just not up to doing much.  I will probably ask DH to make German pancakes for everyone or possibly a take-n-bake pizza.

Dang!  I wish I had thought of pulled pork!  I have some in the freezer!

Thanks for the ideas. We are going with a small frozen, even though we had pizza recently and I feel a little guilty about that.  I'm also putting together a big salad.  My son has a thing tonight that includes dinner - which is pizza.   There is some leftover soup that I either have to freeze or toss so that will get heated up too.

Anyway, glad to see some people just sort of nibble all day.  The potato chips and onion dip just got put away....

:lol:   Enjoy your dinners!

We have a church service tonight followed by a potluck dessert social, so I try to keep dinner light and easy. We'll have a taco salad (kids may want quesadillas or soft tacos--easy enough to accommodate) and we're bringing a French cherry pie to the dessert social. My family is planning to eat half of it!