Menu

Do you plan to move

DawnM

when you retire?

Just curious.

My parents live in a retirement community.  DH's mom still lives in the same house she has had for 45 years.

Do you plan to move to another location geographically (different state, out of town, etc...???)

Dh is saying now he wants to retire in Florida.  Honestly, that doesn't appeal to me, but we will see in 20-25 years when we get closer to retirement.

Yes. We live on the IL/WI border and it's too cold here for us to want to live  here after dh retires.  I grew up in Atlanta and two of our grown children live in Atlanta, and most of our relatives live in Georgia. So we're planning to move farther south to get into a better climate and be closer to our families. 

No plans to live in a retirement community, and we're not considering Florida.  Just not my cup of tea. 

Dh is just under five years away from retiring so we're actually starting to really plan some things...downsizing our junk and tweaking our budgeting skills.  

I love the idea of staying in the same house forever - and if our house was located near our grands, I'd keep it.  But family is more important to me than this house so we'll move. Hard to give up a house we've spent 20 years restoring, and I admit it's going to be difficult to go back to living in a house that doesn't  have ten foot ceilings. 

Eventually, yes. Our house isn't "senior friendly." We have three floors, which means two staircases to navigate. The bedrooms are all on the second floor, so we'd have to go up and down at least one staircase regularly. The steps up to our front porch don't have a hand rail. 

Right now we think we'd move somewhere close to where our son settles. It just makes sense to be near him when we get to the point where we need help. We know a couple that has followed their daughter for two moves and is getting ready for their third move, which they hope will be their last. It has worked well for them. 

Our current thoughts have us moving into some type of retirement community when we are in our early seventies, but we'll see. My aunt & uncle did that and my uncle loved it, my aunt hated it. They lived there for about 25 years before they passed away when they were in their nineties. 

We'll definitely downsize the house, as it's way too big for just the two of us.

I'd like to think that we'd split our time between someplace warm (Florida or similar) in winter and Cape Cod (we're from MA) in summer. The reality is, though, that in my heart I just want to be near my kids all the time. I don't think I'd be good at not seeing them for several months at a stretch. Even monthly visits would be too few. Hopefully that's OK with them, too!

Possibly in early retirement: 1. If it makes sense to downsize and use the asset-value of this house in a different way, or 2. If we end up apart from grand kids, we would consider moving nearer to them.

Later in retirement: probably yes, because mobility issues (which always happen eventually) would make this home difficult to live in, and many of its features would go to waste.

As medically nessisary: eventually a of us will need full time nursing -- if we should live so long. I would like to transition to a progressive care facility at a point where I feel empowered by the choice and blessed by the community and the services... Before the point where it feels like it's a bad thing.

yes, we plan to downsize and find a house more senior friendly.  I want to avoid assisted living as long as possible.  We're planning to move out of state because the taxes are far too high here.  I want a place that is quiet and peaceful, near the mountains.  It would be nice to be centrally located near the kids, but I suspect that will be hard to pull off in reality.

I suppose it's not impossible, but it's very unlikely that we would be able to stay (or would want to stay) in the place we're living when dh retires.  We'll probably move to a completely different part of the world, or at least a different part of the US.

We talk about moving to a condo/apartment within walking distance of Busch Stadium, and maybe even working there part-time. Might just be a pipe dream, but it is something we like to dream about!

Now you've given me an idea. We have tons of friends who work part time as security for events at our local concert venue.  They get paid to keep drunks in line, while listening to some of the best musical acts that come to their town.   I need to talk to dh- who lives and breathes UGA football. Man, if we could work part time at their stadium during football season he'd be in hog heaven. 

My grandparents put their name in to a retirement community in Oregon.  To qualify back then you only needed to be 55!

They thought a spot would open up after my grandfather turned 60 or so, but a spot opened up when he was 56, my grandmother had just turned 50......she hated it for a long time as she didn't feel old enough to be in a retirement community!

In fact, my grandparents were still both working when they moved there and kept working for a while afterwards.

Since I am getting closer to 50, I cringe for her.....I can't imagine looking at moving to a retirement center anytime soon.

Dawn

Our current thoughts have us moving into some type of retirement community when we are in our early seventies, but we'll see. My aunt & uncle did that and my uncle loved it, my aunt hated it. They lived there for about 25 years before they passed away when they were in their nineties. 

No. Yes, the DC area has a high COL, but this is where I am raising my kids, we have formed a wonderful community and have lots of friends.

I don't like change, so I very seriously doubt I will want to leave this place.

That said..... We do plan on buying a condo (or house) at Windsor Hills in Orlando, as a vacation property. We'll spend a month or two there during the winter (I love Disney World) and rent it out (vacation home PM company) the rest of the time.

We also plan to buy a sailboat, and will spend some time on that.

We are still in our starter home and will be buying our "forever home" in the next few years- I will definitely keep our senior years, grand kids, etc. in mind while house shopping. I definitely want the next house we buy to be "the one".

Now you've given me an idea. We have tons of friends who work part time as security for events at our local concert venue.  They get paid to keep drunks in line, while listening to some of the best musical acts that come to their town.   I need to talk to dh- who lives and breathes UGA football. Man, if we could work part time at their stadium during football season he'd be in hog heaven. 

DH has worked at Fenway Park as a second job for the past 8 summers (but this was his last season). It is a fantastic job for retirees. In fact, most of his colleagues are retirees. They have the chance to get out of the house, make friends with lots of people in similar situations and with similar interests, make a little extra money, and watch baseball for free! Best of all, there's lots of flexibility in terms of schedule, and it's relatively easy to get time off for vacations, etc.

For now we're planning to move to a different house--dh wants more outside space--but not out of state. Our dc are still young-ish, though. Our oldest is a sophomore in college and currently thinks he would like to stay in state. We'll see when that time comes, though, how things work out for him. If our boys (who are quite a bit older than dd) end up staying in state we probably will too. If they end up moving away we might be more open to moving somewhere else.

We're not interested in moving to where either of our families are, though. Too congested, too expensive. But except for our dc, we have no great desire to stay in this state either. So all that to say, we're not planning to move but are open to the possibility if it presents itself.

The plan we've told our boys is that we'll get a small RV (Class B or B+) and drive it around satisfying our travel needs.  Then we'll park in one of their driveways for a bit.  When they get tired of having "grandma & grandpa" around they can give us gas money to go to one of their brothers houses instead.  ;)

Oldest was a business major and is good with accounting/investments.  He'll handle our finances.

Middle is still planning on the med school route.  He'll handle our medical needs.

Youngest is into the great outdoors and will likely live on the coast somewhere - possibly with a boat.  He'll handle our entertainment needs.

I THINK we're set!  ;)

(If that pipedream doesn't work out for some strange reason, we're thinking of getting a condo in a nice vacation rental area overlooking BIG water somewhere and staying in that for a few weeks each year then traveling the rest of the time while we rent out the condo.  We just have to see what our finances are like when we retire - and what our needs are then too.  Staying on our farm in retirement is unlikely.  It's a lot of work.)

The plan we've told our boys is that we'll get a small RV (Class B or B+) and drive it around satisfying our travel needs.  Then we'll park in one of their driveways for a bit.  When they get tired of having "grandma & grandpa" around they can give us gas money to go to one of their brothers houses instead.   ;)

Too funny.  This my husband's idea of our retirement.  3 months in each kids driveway and 3 months traveling the National Parks.  It is likely that our kids will be spread out following wherever their careers take them.  Oldest is studying evolutionary biology, so he'll probably end up in academia - some university and some travel to far off places.  2nd plans on physics, in the realm of quantum mechanics or something esoteric like that, so that may mean another university or government lab far away.  Dd is undecided, but plans something along the lines of psychology (loves kids, animals, helping people, etc.) 

Note that I said this is dh's idea.  Not necessarily mine.  I need roots.  I need a home.  I need a comfy bed.  I need community. 

Yes.  We'll definitely downsize.  But probably we'll stay in this general area.

I inherited several acres of land here in this same county, so right now our kinda-sorta plan is to build a small(ish) senior friendly, low maintenance home on that land within the next few years.  We'll also build a garage for our RV.  The plan is to spend a lot of time traveling in the RV, but we've done enough of that already to know we need a home base to come back to.  And by moving out into the county, we can pay someone to do our yard work (if/when necessary) and still save money over what it costs us to live here in the city limits with its higher property taxes, HOA fees and storage costs for the RV.

Note that I said this is dh's idea.  Not necessarily mine.  I need roots.  I need a home.  I need a comfy bed.  I need community. 

I gotta vote with your dh.  ;)

There are comfy beds in many places - great people too.  I like it when the view changes - filling in that map in our heads in a far more real way than any book or TV show can do.

But it's ok that we're different... people have to actually LIVE in the areas I want to travel to in order to make my experience authentic.   :D

I will say that as of right now, my kids say they want to stay right here when they grow up.  They like it here.  The cost of living is reasonable, the job market is pretty good, and many people DO retire in this state.

So, who knows.

I have to remind myself that one reason we moved out of LA was because we figured our kids would have a hard time affording to live there when they grew up and having watched many families' kids move OUT of CA to be able to afford living, was a factor in our decision to leave.

Dawn

If we are still at dh's present job, we will move at retirement. The house comes with the job. I don't love the State we are in and would love to move further South. I would actually love to return to DC--where I grew up and lived until I was 31--but it would be crazy to MOVE to a high COL for retirement.

We will probably see where our kids are and try to move someplace close to at least one of them. I would choose a college town, probably.(Actually, I do have a pipe dream that dh will spend retirement being an interim pastor in beach communities. LOL)

I want to move somewhere that there are more seasons then winter, sprinter and mud. I'd like to experience a little more time to garden. We have talked about it. Once we are somewhere that is a little more summer friendly, then I don't really want to move again. I grew up moving regularly and my grandparents move every two years (even in their 90's). I just want some roots.

I despise and detest the very concept of retirement and adult-only communities. I think isolation of the generations from each other is a symptom of a deep imbalance in our culture. No way, no how would I live in a retirement community.

If I ever get to realize my dream of full time RV living, I could see utilizing some of the senior-only RV parks. But only because I'd be free to pull up and move on a whim.

Life has too many what-ifs. If you value family, you shouldn't cut yourself off from them that way. What if something happened to one of my kids? What if I just want my grandkids to visit me for a month or three in summer? What if I'm free to babysit so a house with a mother-in-law apartment is the perfect situation for one of my kids at some point.

I'm not tied to the idea of buying a "forever" house, either, and I look forward to being kid free, post career, and able to travel and relax. But a lot of those trips will probably be grandkid-centric (assuming I have grandkids). I just can't see myself being content with a season of my life ignoring people who aren't in a "peer" age bracket. I didn't even do that in high school!

I despise and detest the very concept of retirement and adult-only communities. I think isolation of the generations from each other is a symptom of a deep imbalance in our culture. No way, no how would I live in a retirement community.

If I ever get to realize my dream of full time RV living, I could see utilizing some of the senior-only RV parks. But only because I'd be free to pull up and move on a whim.

Life has too many what-ifs. If you value family, you shouldn't cut yourself off from them that way. What if something happened to one of my kids? What if I just want my grandkids to visit me for a month or three in summer? What if I'm free to babysit so a house with a mother-in-law apartment is the perfect situation for one of my kids at some point.

I'm not tied to the idea of buying a "forever" house, either, and I look forward to being kid free, post career, and able to travel and relax. But a lot of those trips will probably be grandkid-centric (assuming I have grandkids). I just can't see myself being content with a season of my life ignoring people who aren't in a "peer" age bracket. I didn't even do that in high school!

I'm staying in the area but will go urban as soon as everyone is close to getting through college. I want to live in a smallish home and be able to rely mainly on public transit or a scooter. My husband and I have been planning this for years and I believe we will be able to make it happen in 7 years or so. I don't see us ever retiring but I do see us transitioning into 1 car for the both of us and hopefully only working 5 days a week. My oldest is working in the family business now and I see him taking a more active roll in its functioning in the future. Can you hear me jumping up and down and cheering from there?

I'm not especially interested in a retirement community. However, we have no deep roots where we are now. We don't own a home, and neither of us has family here. So, it would be relatively easy for us to relocate if it made sense to do so.

Our daughter has already moved to New York City, and there's a pretty good chance our son will head there, too, after college. We are discussing the possibility that, if we can afford it, we might move back up to the northeast to be closer to them.

We plan to keep our little homestead as 'home base' for our family.  (Meaning if I need to keep horses to bribe any grandchildren, I will.)  If we stay well, I think dh will consult into old age, so I am not quite sure what retirement will look like.  I'm working now, but I can't see doing this for 20 more years.  We don't plan to move, but we do plan to visit warm areas during winter.

Well, the question wasn't "Are you moving to a retirement community?"  It was just a curiosity as to what you DO plan to do.

I despise and detest the very concept of retirement and adult-only communities. I think isolation of the generations from each other is a symptom of a deep imbalance in our culture. No way, no how would I live in a retirement community. If I ever get to realize my dream of full time RV living, I could see utilizing some of the senior-only RV parks. But only because I'd be free to pull up and move on a whim. Life has too many what-ifs. If you value family, you shouldn't cut yourself off from them that way. What if something happened to one of my kids? What if I just want my grandkids to visit me for a month or three in summer? What if I'm free to babysit so a house with a mother-in-law apartment is the perfect situation for one of my kids at some point. I'm not tied to the idea of buying a "forever" house, either, and I look forward to being kid free, post career, and able to travel and relax. But a lot of those trips will probably be grandkid-centric (assuming I have grandkids). I just can't see myself being content with a season of my life ignoring people who aren't in a "peer" age bracket. I didn't even do that in high school!

I retired last year and moved a few blocks over.

It was unrelated to retirement, I just wanted a different layout :D.

I'm in my 30s and still have 20-30 years before "retirement age."

I have no real plans for next month, much less decades from now.

My goal is to remain an active participant in the daily life of my family.

I'll do whatever, move wherever, I need to ensure I'm able to do so.

I'm going to need a ride to Bingo, after all.

Our plans will depend on where our children settle, whether there will be grandchildren, whether they would like us near.

Ideally, I would like to be involved in my kids' and grandkids' lives, and since they most definitely will not want to return to this town/find a job here, all bets are off as to location.

DH and I would like to live somewhere with pretty outdoors, in a town that is conducive to biking and walking.

We are planning at least 2-3 more moves while we are raising our children. Big, cross country or international moves. With a big family, we will be needing something larger than I would prefer for just the two of us.

Unless we happen to downsize while youngest is still home, yes, I imagine we will do so at some point later. We are looking at tiny houses and very small homes (say 400 square feet) for someday. Because we are following D's career, not necessarily to places we want to live, we will likely want to choose a place we will actually enjoy instead of just staying wherever we end up. 

I expect the kids to be scattered all over the country. No idea how that will play into it.

LOL--we have to, as we live in a rectory.

We won't be able to attend the same church after dh retires as the rector.

And COL is way, way too high here for us. It would about kill me to live in this town and not go to our church, and it would kill dh to see his pension go about an inch...lol...

But IDK where we will go yet. We own a home that I'm only too ready to sell NOW, in the Northern Neck area of VA. I don't want to live there, as it's too far from anywhere else. IDK where my kids will be, but I'd like to live somewhat near them.

We'd also like to live in Israel for a few years. Dh would teach at St. George's in Jerusalem.

It's so far off that it's hard to say exactly. I like the idea of aging in our home in the sense that it's near public transit, plenty of grocery delivery, lots of different cultural opportunities, and lots of retail as well as hospitals, so we would be well positioned in that sense. But there are stairs. Lots of stairs.

Having just moved my IL's into assisted living in a new state so they could be closer to my SIL, I would say that DH & I will live anywhere as long as it's near one of our kids.  IL's lived 4 hours away from their closest child, and when their physical & mental health declined to the point where they could no longer live independently, they had to leave behind their home, their church, and all of their friends.   It was (and still is) such a HARD situation - they structured their retirement so they'd have a big house where "all the grandkids can come visit us," but now they are the ones who have had to move to a new place where they know no one except SIL & BIL.

There are a few places where I'd rather not live (like places where it's really cold) but other than that I don't think DH & I are that picky.   I'd prefer to move somewhere close to our kids and have friends, a church family, and a community already in place to provide mutual support so we won't be so much of a burden to our kids when we do need extra care.

I would like to retire somewhere where it doesn't snow and isn't 400% humidity in the summer. I would like to be near the ocean, but I have a college degree to finish, possibly grad school, and probably another career before I think about retirement. At some point I will probably move closer to the city, not until after I finish my BA though. Lots of things up in the air for now. I think that's okay. Ds wants to live abroad, we will visit and Skype. 

Dh is 58 and our youngest is only 7 so we could still have a young kid at home when he retires.  I'm 13 years younger so theoretically could be working a lot longer.

Our house isn't too bad to retire in.  Small for a family with kids but all one level, no stairs, nice quiet neighborhood yet still close to everything we could need.

I would like to get an RV and spend the winter traveling around the southern part of the country and the summer traveling around the north.  Our finances may not be conducive to that any time soon unfortunately.

We don't want to move.  Most of my kids, however, have claimed the house for when they "grow up and have a family"  -  I'm not sure how that would work.  :)  We may come to the point where we need to downsize but at this point we would like to stay in this area.  Who knows - in 10 years we may feel differently.

I think this will entirely depend on what our circumstances are at that moment.   Our house is not retirement friendly, but could probably be made to be retirement friendly if we were willing to put in the work and the money.  It is much easier driving here than in a bigger city.  We are close to family at the moment.  But other family members are talking about moving away for various reasons and our parents may or may not be around when we retire so moving elsewhere might have some appeal, especially if the kids relocate somewhere else that we would have an interest in moving to or nearby.

I have a cousin who moved across country for retirement (West coast to East coast).  They planned it out years in advance.  They saved and saved, lived very lean the last 15 years before they retired, then sold everything and moved to a very active retirement community somewhere in the Carolinas.  They love it.  Easy house to take care of, lots of really great trips that they don't have to plan, they just go, other people at a similar place in their lives to hang out with, plenty of activities and secondary interests to pursue, etc.  Their only child, though, is still on the West coast.

No, but we aren't making any firm plans.

We will be in our mid 60's when our kids finish college, but it is unlikely that we will be financially able to retire.

We will stay here in our small house until we need more care, unless we move to be with our kids and (hopefully!) grandkids. 

I would love to live near the ocean...but I can't see us leaving so many years of relationship and community, except for our children or grandchildren. Our parents live here. 

Not out of the city we live in or even away from the part of the city we live in.  We always talked about moving to Texas and specifically San Antonio.  We love it here.  It is our dream location.  At some point after all the kids are out of the house (which will probably be before my husband retires), we will likely move to a smaller house.  We won't need 5 bedrooms and 3250 square feet anymore.  But we'll definitely stay in this area!

We may down-size.

I think we will stay here, though, unless all of our children move. My one son who is married lives here, so I hope he will stay in the general area.

I grew up here, and while it is hard to see the change that growth brings, it is a great comfort to drive down streets I walked with my late father, so drove past the home I grew up in, to run into people who knew me when I was in second grade. I have friends here and a church and a life. If I moved somewhere else, I don't think I could build a history. I am so happy my MIL moved here. She hasn't loved it - it is hard to make friends or even find your way around in a new place at 70. But it is better for is and better for her to have us when she needs us. So hopefully I will be courageous and practical like her if it's the right thing.

But I would be sad. This is not the greatest place ever, lol, but it is home

Ok, so on a completely different note, but as some have been commenting, I have been thinking.

We are moving to a new location, but within this area.

Should I think of retirement while looking or not worry at all since retirement is about 20 years away?????   

Many of you have mentioned a 1 story, but around here, the only 1 story homes are tiny.   A sprawling ranch just isn't found.  And size......I still feel like we need the space with 3 kids.  The oldest is 16 but has special needs so I don't see him leaving any time soon.  The middle son is 14 but swears he will live at home through college.   Youngest is 10.

Dawn