Menu

What do you call your glove box?

poppy

I am referring to the little storage compartment above the passengers' knees in a car.

I have always said 'glove box'. I used the term with a friend and she looked at me like I had two heads. So what do you call it ?

Wow, I haven't head the term jockey box since I was little.  My dad used to call it that.  :0)  He was from Wisconsin and they had a dairy farm, so maybe it was a regional or farm term? 

ETA: I found reference to the term Jockey box in a dictionary from the late 1800s, describing it as a box under the seat of a wagon used to hold small things.  That makes sense, since my dad was born in 1925 and remembers when they got their first car.  

Glove box.  Is there another name?

NB: I grew up in the Midwest.  Maybe it's a regional thing like pop vs. soda?

Glove box here in the mid-atlantic too.   I've also heard Glove compartment - and maybe some in my extended family call it that.  Don't really know.  It's not the kind of thing we discuss when  gathering for weddings and funerals. :lol:

Besides those two - is there another option?

I don't know if anyone outside of my group of friends says it, but it's always been "glovey". That looks weird. I've only said it, never written it.

This is a common term in my circle, too.

Glove box, glove compartment, glovey, just open the damn door in front of your knees and hand me _________. I use them all. :-)

I call it The Thingy,

The mad pointing motions are silent.

Mostly silent.

We really only pay attention to it when we have an immediate need for something.

Napkins for a messy sneeze, insurance and registration for the cop that pulled me over ...

Same goes for the kids. If I'm distracted, everyone is YOU. No, not you - the OTHER you!

Those mad pointing motions are much less silent.