Menu

My in-laws are coming again...and I stopped drinking coffee

Tess in the Burbs

**backstory:  my in-laws came one year and I had just bought 4 or 5 large boxes online of k-cups.  When they left most all of it was gone.  We estimated they were 'drinking' 10 cups a day.  We think they took some home with them.  They are in a tight financial situation by their own mistakes.  Every visit since I consider putting the Keurig away.  Even bought a cheap coffee maker for regular coffee for them to use on their visits, but they cancelled that year**

So the Keurig is on the counter, but in an effort to consume less calories I gave up coffee.  I just can't drink it without yummy creamer.  I haven't had coffee in the house in months.  We use the Keurig for hot water for tea.  And I know you really good coffee drinkers rejoice one more person isn't polluting the earth with k-cups.  

Do I let them know there is no coffee in the house before they arrive?  Just tell them when they ask for a cup?  I no longer have the cheapo basic coffee maker as an alternative.  Starbucks in a mile away...do I just offer directions?  

I'm leaning toward not mentioning it.  But if they go buy a small box is it rude to have one  :lol:

Plan A:

I suggest putting the machine away and telling them that you have given up coffee. (Use a kettle for water.) Maybe buy some instant granules as a semi-reasonable alternative to have on hand for guests.

If things become tense, simply say that you think you still have the machine in the basement / garage, that you could dig it out if they want to buy some cups. Also jokingly mention that you might yeild to the temptation and need to pay them back for a cup or two.

Plan B:

How are your finances? If they love great coffee so much, it might be a highlight of their visit to be enjoying the lovely stuff at your place. You might simply buy a supply as an act if hospitality, and not let yourself worry if they over-indulge -- they will probably tailor their consumption to the size of your supply.

How long are they staying? I'd probably buy a small box of K cups - enough for them each to have a cup or two a day - to be a good hostess. Or if you have a drip pot, put that out with a bag of coffee. That said, when we stay with my dad for a few nights, I always come armed with coffee so I don't waste all his K cups.

If I'm having guests whom I know enjoy something that is not morally objectionable, and it would be reasonable for me to have it available (not too expensive, easy to find, etc), I try to have it on hand for them. So I would go out before they arrived and by a small box of coffee--if they drank it all,I would not feel obliged to buy more, but I would have a reasonable amount on hand to get them through their visit. But, then ... my mil always buys regular coffee when we visit her, even though she drinks decaf, and my mom buys creamer before I come, even though she doesn't use it. And I make sure to have some wine available when my mil visits, even though I don't drink it often and usually don't keep it on hand, because I know she enjoys a glass each evening.

Now if you didn't have it because you couldn't afford it, or because you objected to it morally (like LDS families), then I wouldn't buy it just for them ... though I do know one LDS woman who borrowed a coffee pot, bought coffee, and learned how to make it in anticipation of holding a social event at her house. I viewed her efforts as above and beyond.

I view it as part of being a good hostess, though I wouldn't go overboard with it. And if you choose not to have it available,I would mention it to them ahead of time so they can bring their own if needed (I get headaches if I don't have the caffeine every morning), and in that case I would not drink theirs.

I remember the stolen k-cups incident. I just don't get why you would not buy a small box for them while they are visiting? I drink cream in my coffee. My mother does not. When we are visiting, she has cream available. What good will come of being a bad hostess?

Another vote for one box of cups, enough for them to have a couple of cups a day, if you can afford it. If not, then instant.  I would want to be a good hostess, and I really try to make visitors (even family) feel welcomed. BUT I wouldn't allow myself to be taken advantage of again. I would not buy anymore than what was reasonable for them for the visit.

While I think it would be nice for you to have the Keurig ready to go for them, I don't expect that people provide things that they don't buy themselves when I come to visit.  For example, our family eats and drinks a lot of dairy, but I wouldn't expect someone who was dairy-free (for whatever reason) to provide that for me.  I think you can be a good host by graciously welcoming people to your home and feeding them they way you usually eat.  If your eating and drinking habits are a little out of the ordinary, or if they have changed, then I think it's nice to mention it.

But I don't think people should feel like they have to provide certain things to be good hosts.  There are many ways to be a good host.

1. put the kuerig away

2. borrow or purchase a cheap coffee maker and filters.

or

1. put the kuerig away

2. buy instant coffee

or

1. buy a small amount of k-cups

2. In the evening say "I'm leaving a couple of k-cups out for you to make when you want tomorrow". Leave out that amount of k-cups in a bowl next to the machine. Make a point of saying you do not purchase k-cups anymore, but you bought a small amount for their use while they stay. Hopefully, that puts them on alert not to run through the ration.

I think leaving the keurig out and buying k-cups is a mistake. I remember your old post and their behavior was ridiculous. They are bound to run out of k-cups and grumble about you needing to buy more while they are still there.

Purchase some K-cups, enough for their stay plus a little extra.  Send it home with them openly and happily b/c you no longer drink coffee.  It's a simple gesture that communicates that you are happy for them to come and visit.

I would be miffed about the past missing K-cups, but I think it's more sad than anything...how embarrassing for them.

I remember that story! 

When my folks/inlaws/sister visit me, they bring their own coffee because they know that we don't drink coffee in our house.  I have a cheap coffee maker that they use.  They all have their own preferred brand/grind of coffee so it's no big deal.  And a lovely coffee shop is a short walk away. 

I might casually tell them that you've stopped drinking coffee, though you do still have the Keurig. And then just stop talking and see if they offer to bring their own or ask you to pick some up for them.   I wouldn't mind picking up a box for them, but I would have that short conversation first. I'm assuming that since you think they took some of your coffee home that they have a Keurig at their house- so maybe this time they'll bring their own. 

I wouldn't have a cup of theirs, though. I'd wait until they were gone and celebrate with a cup all to myself.  

I would buy a box that is enough for them to have for their visit plus extra. When they get there say something like "I've given up coffee but we got a box of K-cups for you all to use. Please take home whatever is left over!" I think that covers the good hostess/family member and makes it sort of a gift. I don't think you are under obligation to go and buy more if they use it up but if it was me and they asked for more, I might mentally roll my eyes, buy some if I was going to the store anyway and laugh about it with dh later. I think a good rule with in-laws and family members in general is to be more accommodating than you would be with regular guests.

My Mom drinks regular Coke and bottled water. I buy both just for her when she comes. The bottled water in particular bugs me because it's just such a waste, she won't use a reusable water bottle or drink the filtered water from the fridge. She just likes having her own plastic bottle. She goes through at least 6 bottles a day and she refuses to recycle, just tosses them in the trash. Is it wasteful and annoying? Yes. But I let her have her bottled water and then I go around and pick out the bottles and recycle them. It's not worth arguing with her about. 

The stealing the coffee thing from a few years ago would bug me but I'd probably chalk it up as one of those annoying family quirks that it's better to just accept in order to get along. Especially if they visit fairly irregularly. It might be different if they were coming monthly and expecting a fresh supply of coffee to take home every month. :)

I remember the story. I also have major inlaw problems. :)

That said, I would buy a box of Kcups for their visit. I would provide enough for 2 cups per day. Most boxes have between 12 and 18 cups. How long are they staying? ;) If there are some left when it's time for them to leave, ask them if they would like to take them or save them to have in the house to offer to another guest.

You know they drink coffee. You have the machine. I think it's polite to provide something you know you're guests enjoy when it's easy and practical  to do so. It's simple to just pick up a box on your grocery shopping trip and they are less than $10.

Lots of coffee drinkers really can't manage without their morning coffee or they start caffeine withdrawl. I think it's reasonable for people to anticipate coffee being available in a home when they are staying there.

Just because they are bad guests doesn't mean you shouldn't be a good hostess. :thumbup1:

You do have my sympathy where strange inlaw behavior is involved!  :grouphug:

I'm in my own season of attempting grace with my in-laws who were just here for their annual visit.  (I survived this time, thank goodness!)

What I would do is have the Keurig out and pick up one or two small boxes of k-cups before their arrival.  Two boxes would be if I knew the IL's each had a different preference.  With my IL's, FIL will not ever drink flavored coffee- or buy it himself.  So I make sure I have one flavored variety for MIL who loves flavored coffee, but is not permitted at home.   If yours will drink the same stuff, then it would be one box only.

When they arrived, point out the k-cups, welcome them to help themselves, but warn them that you've only purchased what they see.  Explain that you've given up coffee for a season, and encourage them to take home whatever is left at the end of the visit.  Tell them this at the beginning of the visit, so they are visually seeing this box of k-cups and understanding that your expectation is that there are more than enough k-cups for the duration of their visit. 

At that point, it's completely up to them to supply additional cups as needed.  If they use them up and run out, apologize, but don't purchase more.  Instead, offer to brew up extra tea when you make yourself a cup.

If they DO end up purchasing additional k-cups, under NO circumstance partake yourself unless they have left for home and leave them behind.  While they are enjoying their coffees, prepare yourself your tea and delight in that pleasure.

You can balance being a good hostess while dealing with irritating IL behavior. 

I always ask guests before they arrive if there is anything they can't eat or don't like to eat.  I also ask if there is any food stuff they would like to have available during their stay.  I follow what they say.  Here, you know they drink coffee and they know you at least did at one time so I would ask the same questions (Is there anything you can't eat?  Is there anything you really don't like to eat?  Do you have any food allergies?  Is there anything you would like available to eat or drink that I could pick up ahead of time?  By the way, we have given up coffee, so if you would like some, please let us know.) mentioning that you have given up coffee.  See what their answer is and follow it.   I wouldn't read anything into it.  Though I would only get enough of whatever it is for the time they are staying with me because I wouldn't want leftovers. 

I remember that! 

I suppose it would be a good idea to buy a small box, and hide anything more than 1 cup per person per day so that you'll have some left over for the next set of guests (assuming that stuff doesn't go bad?).  If they drink it all in one day they can either go buy more or have tea instead.

Another vote for buying enough K-cups for their visit.  When I was younger, I remember a couple of our frequent guests commenting about my mom always remembered what they drank and made sure she had some to offer them when they visited.  For my uncle it was 7up.  For others it was sweet tea or coffee (and she always remembered how they took it).  It made them feel very special and welcomed in our home.  We don't have guests over very often at all (to my dismay!) but when we do I always remember that about my mom and try to remember the little things our guests would appreciate. 

I don't mean to sound snarky, I am genuinely curious - what's your actual goal/priority?

You don't want to buy k cups because you're afraid they'll rip you off again? Buy a small box and when it's done, it's done.

You don't want to buy k cups because you don't want to get sucked back into the creamy coffee habit? That's an issue of your own willpower and your guests shouldn't suffer for it. Make your own plan with a favorite new tea. Give any leftover k cups to them to take home, or stash them away for future guests.

You don't want to spend the money on k cups? Put the Keurig away and figure out a less expensive way to be a good hostess. A guest hoping for a morning cup of joe isn't really expecting something way out of typical American culture. I couldn''t, with a good conscience, send my houseguests out to buy their daily morning wake up.

You want them to know that you know where the other k cups went and actually punish them for that poor behavior? When they ask for/expect coffee, tell them you have had to give it up for health reasons, and besides, you realized how terribly expensive those silly little cups are and HOW FAST THEY DISAPPEAR and wouldn't they rather join you in a cup of delightful morning tea?

Seriously, I'd just buy a small box of k cups, a reasonable amount for their visit, and let them have their coffee. But I might keep a closer eye on the extra supply of bar soap and toilet paper...

Ha, I remember that post!

Because I am a big coffee drinker and my relatives are too, I can really appreciate being able to have a cup of coffee wherever I am.  I think it would be nice of you to have some coffee on hand.

I would either buy a used coffee maker at a Goodwill or thrift store (they ALWAYS have some), and a bag of coffee.  Or, I'd get the little K-cup that allows you to make your own, and a bag of coffee.

But, if they are the type to pressure you into getting them some real K-cups while they are there, then I'd put the Keurig away and just stick to the cheap coffee maker.

I have emailed twice to ask about food.  In the last few visits they told me they ate specific diets(like paleo), so I bought what they wanted, but then they said they just wanted fast food and would go get it WITHOUT us.  It was costly to purchase special food for them and then they just stop their diet???

I don't mind buying coffee and letting them use the reusable cup.  And I actually find the past funny, not resentful.  It's just a yearly visit and some here enjoy the humor of the updates.  

So far they have not replied to any emails asking about what they want to do or about what they want to eat.  I don't think mentioning the coffee would elicit a response either.  But yes, I plan on buying a small bag of coffee and perhaps creamer since I don't know if they drink it or not.  

Plan A:

I suggest putting the machine away and telling them that you have given up coffee. (Use a kettle for water.) Maybe buy some instant granules as a semi-reasonable alternative to have on hand for guests.

If things become tense, simply say that you think you still have the machine in the basement / garage, that you could dig it out if they want to buy some cups. Also jokingly mention that you might yeild to the temptation and need to pay them back for a cup or two.

Plan B:

How are your finances? If they love great coffee so much, it might be a highlight of their visit to be enjoying the lovely stuff at your place. You might simply buy a supply as an act if hospitality, and not let yourself worry if they over-indulge -- they will probably tailor their consumption to the size of your supply.

Plan B! Plan B! I would gag at the thought of drinking instant coffee but might feel obligated to drink some if I knew the hostess bought it just for me. 

I vote for buying some coffee and reusable cups for your Keurig.  I hate to see waste like all of those cups going in the trash.  This is a more economical option and less likely to encourage theft :sneaky2:  .  I would let them know that you have given up coffee, but bought some coffee for them to use while they are here. 

I would buy a box that is enough for them to have for their visit plus extra. When they get there say something like "I've given up coffee but we got a box of K-cups for you all to use. Please take home whatever is left over!" I think that covers the good hostess/family member and makes it sort of a gift. 

I agree. This is simultaneously generous and setting clear limits. When it's a gift in the first place, they can hardly demand you go out and buy more.

I'd sell you my k-cups cheap if you were local. For my birthday last year, I got two of the 80 cup packages to use with the machine at work. I got a positive pregnancy test a few days later, morning sickness not long after that, and couldn't drink coffee. Then, shortly after I could drink it again, the machine disappeared. Then I quit coffee entirely because it was giving me indigestion. Then I found the machine's new location, but I have yet to regain my taste for it, plus I'm off dairy for at least the next several months, so the latte cups are out. I need to just go ahead and Craigslist the darn things.

I don't think you're a bad host if you don't supply them with k-cups.  They could certainly buy some once they arrive.  Or take them to a local coffee shop or two.   We often run out when we get to our folks' houses and buy the few things we especially want - stuff they don't normally have on hand.   We feel it's part of being a good guest.  

You have a Starbucks a mile away- it's easy for them to run out for their morning coffee. I would feel bad drinking coffee at our host's house if he stopped drinking it to save calories. I would feel that I was tempting my host.

But that circles back around- being a good guest by not drinking tempting coffee is no different than a good host providing coffee because the guests love it. 

I have emailed twice to ask about food.  In the last few visits they told me they ate specific diets(like paleo), so I bought what they wanted, but then they said they just wanted fast food and would go get it WITHOUT us.  It was costly to purchase special food for them and then they just stop their diet???

I don't mind buying coffee and letting them use the reusable cup.  And I actually find the past funny, not resentful.  It's just a yearly visit and some here enjoy the humor of the updates.  

So far they have not replied to any emails asking about what they want to do or about what they want to eat.  I don't think mentioning the coffee would elicit a response either.  But yes, I plan on buying a small bag of coffee and perhaps creamer since I don't know if they drink it or not.  

In that case....just do what you would normally do to be a generous hostess and carry on...smile and nod through any "but I wanted" or "don't you have" comments, and carry on.

Talk to them before they come.  If they are driving they will probably bring their coffee pot.  Or you can ask them if instant is okay.  You are hosting family in your home and hopefully want them to be comfortable.  

Knowing they have a coffee habit, if your desire is to be a courteous hostess, you'll have some format of coffee available. Even if they've been weird about it before. I think the idea of buying a reasonably big box of the special coffee and offering it as a gift is perfect.

Plan B! Plan B! I would gag at the thought of drinking instant coffee but might feel obligated to drink some if I knew the hostess bought it just for me. 

Many years ago when I would visit my parents (non-coffee drinkers) they would offer me frozen, instant, decaf coffee powder. The SAME bag, year after year, it just kept going back in the freezer.  ha ha...  I love my parents,  :001_smile:  but they could not comprehend my 'coffee thing'.  

One year they bought a special treat.  Decaf, fat free, sugar free Vienna International Coffee in the little rectangular tin.   :sad:  I actually choked down a couple of cups of that. 

Dad has moved into 'town' now so I can run out for the real stuff if I need to when I go visit. 

You do know that "if it's not this, it'll be something else?" :lol:

First my mom drank Tab. So we got Tab.

But then she came and said, "Oh no, I drink Diet Coke now." And we bought DC.

So we got DC for the next time.

Then she came the next time, and she drank Sprite (because "caramel coloring is bad for you."). So we got Sprite.

Then she came the next time and she'd given up diet soda. So we gave her tea.

But it wasn't the right KIND of tea.

Now she brings her own tea.

Eeeeverybody happy now.....

Good luck. :laugh:

. . .

Bwa-ha-ha! This reminds me of mil, who really is a really really good guest. She asks for only a couple small things when she visits: prune juice and not to let the cat in her room while she's there. Buuuuut . . . with the morning beverages it's like you say.

She used to drink regular coffee with half-n-half.

Then it became decaf because she was reducing caffeine.

Then back to caff because what is the point of decaf coffee?

Then back to decaf.

Then she preferred tea.

Then decaf or herbal.

So that was the last visit and we'll just have to see--if she visits again, she's 87yo and traveling is hard on her--what it'll be. Fortunately we stock and drink all the above so it all worked out! :D

I remember this story!

I don't drink coffee any longer either.  What I would do is buy a nice ground coffee.  Set it beside the Keurig.  I'd show them how to use the refillable Keurig K-cup thing.  I, personally, wouldn't buy special K-cups.  Having the coffee on hand for them is still being a good hostess.  The refillable cup is still convenient, and they can adjust how strong they want it by how much coffee in the refillable K-cup.

Bwa-ha-ha! This reminds me of mil, who really is a really really good guest. She asks for only a couple small things when she visits: prune juice and not to let the cat in her room while she's there. Buuuuut . . . with the morning beverages it's like you say.

She used to drink regular coffee with half-n-half.

Then it became decaf because she was reducing caffeine.

Then back to caff because what is the point of decaf coffee?

Then back to decaf.

Then she preferred tea.

Then decaf or herbal.

So that was the last visit and we'll just have to see--if she visits again, she's 87yo and traveling is hard on her--what it'll be. Fortunately we stock and drink all the above so it all worked out! :D

This is so true! My parents are always on some weird health kick and you never know what it is going to be. My "favorite" was when they kept complaining that my cooking was not healthy enough (specifically, there was cream cheese in something and whipping cream in something else) but they would buy bags of muddy buddys (a chocolatey chex mix) and eat the entire bag. Every night.

First my mom drank Tab. So we got Tab.

But then she came and said, "Oh no, I drink Diet Coke now." And we bought DC.

So we got DC for the next time.

Then she came the next time, and she drank Sprite (because "caramel coloring is bad for you."). So we got Sprite.

Then she came the next time and she'd given up diet soda. So we gave her tea.

But it wasn't the right KIND of tea.

Now she brings her own tea.

Well, there's a flip side to that...  ;)

I didn't think to tell my MIL when I started drinking coffee in the morning instead of tea.  (I was in my 30's, I think, when I started liking coffee.)  She was a bit upset with me for not telling her.  It never occurred to me that I wasn't allowed to change my mind!   My husband and I ended up buying some more coffee during that visit. 

If someone is coming to visit and it's been a long time since we've seen them, I just ask "are you still drinking raspberry tea?"   Or whatever. 

I think it all depends on how strongly YOU do not wish to drink coffee. Coffee is extremely addictive and the habit is almost impossible to break. I live with someone who suffers from coffee addiction ( though he, like all coffee drinkers do not view it as an addiction) and he knows that it affects his health (raises his blood pressure etc.) He has given up numerous times, but keeps coffee for when guests come over. Then he feels that he has to have a drink of coffee with the guests and bang he is back to numerous cups a day again. At the moment he is tricking himself to think that he is on control of his coffee consumption. He thinks he limits himself to 2 cups a day- but the cup size has increased to twice the size of an ordinary cup plus he makes it double strength -he is only fooling himself.

So to me it all depends on if YOU want to start drinking coffee again- if you do then buy it for your guests and the smell will drive you so insane that you will have to have just one cup .. then another.. then another. OR make your house a coffee free zone and serve tea instead.

I think it all depends on how strongly YOU do not wish to drink coffee. Coffee is extremely addictive and the habit is almost impossible to break. I live with someone who suffers from coffee addiction ( though he, like all coffee drinkers do not view it as an addiction) and he knows that it affects his health (raises his blood pressure etc.) He has given up numerous times, but keeps coffee for when guests come over. Then he feels that he has to have a drink of coffee with the guests and bang he is back to numerous cups a day again. At the moment he is tricking himself to think that he is on control of his coffee consumption. He thinks he limits himself to 2 cups a day- but the cup size has increased to twice the size of an ordinary cup plus he makes it double strength -he is only fooling himself. So to me it all depends on if YOU want to start drinking coffee again- if you do then buy it for your guests and the smell will drive you so insane that you will have to have just one cup .. then another.. then another. OR make your house a coffee free zone and serve tea instead.

This is quite an extreme view of coffee drinkers. You make it sound like we're talking about heroin.