Menu

Are collapsible hoses worth the money?

unsinkable

Are collapsible hoses worth the money?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Are collapsible hoses worth the money?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

We just bought one.  Some friends had two for a year and loved theirs.  DH hates it, but he usually resists change and can't articulate the reason.  They are cheaper than kink-free hoses at Walmart and that's why we bought one.

Never heard a good word about the collapsible hoses, Our coil hose doesn't leak but is kinda a pain. It doesn't cause any problems it is just too stiff.   We have it for the garden so we don't trip on the hose going to the boat (both in the same 100x20 area..  It is coiled so tight, we had to secure the water nozzle (the metal part where that the hose actually twists onto) to the main water line a bit better that typical construction, because it kept twisting it a bit too far and we were afraid it was going to cause a leak on the main water line. 

I bought one last summer and LOVED it. However, I forgot about it and left it outside all winter and it was leaky. I have no idea how long it would have lasted had I put it away. It's almost worth the $20 each year to have something that convenient and light. I'm seriously considering buying another one.

I've had one for a couple of months and love it! Lightweight, doesn't kink, stretches longer than I thought it would.

As far as sunrot goes....mine is near the front door for watering pots. Because I want it to be neat and tidy, I have a pretty copper hose pot with a lid to put the hose in.

oh man, ROFL here. I also read "houses" and am busting up reading this thread. My kids were reading nice and quietly and came to see what I was laughing about and they saw the "jumping bacon" and now are rolling, too. So much for our quiet morning.

Good grief! I mis-read the thread title and thought you were talking about collapsible horses.

That's how I read it, too lol

We have one.  Love it.  In fact my husband was just saying the other day that he wants to get another to put in the back so he doesn't have to tote it back and forth.  It actually wasn't expensive.  I don't know what the brand is.  We got it at Home Depot.  It was cheaper than many of the other similar length hoses.  It works exactly as advertised and takes up much less space when empty.

ETA: We have had ours nearly a year.  We live in south Texas so it definitely gets sun.  No leaks or anything.  We use it a whole lot (year round) because our stupid HOA insists we have beautiful green grass, but we're in drought conditions so we can only use sprinklers once a week so we have to stand and water with a hose the rest of the time (because in south TX if you once water once a week you will definitely not have the green grass that the HOA wants us to have... and even watering with a hose daily you will not have the green grass the HOA wants us to have, but it'll be closer).

We have one.  Love it.  In fact my husband was just saying the other day that he wants to get another to put in the back so he doesn't have to tote it back and forth.  It actually wasn't expensive.  I don't know what the brand is.  We got it at Home Depot.  It was cheaper than many of the other similar length hoses.  It works exactly as advertised and takes up much less space when empty.

ETA: We have had ours nearly a year.  We live in south Texas so it definitely gets sun.  No leaks or anything.  We use it a whole lot (year round) because our stupid HOA insists we have beautiful green grass, but we're in drought conditions so we can only use sprinklers once a week so we have to stand and water with a hose the rest of the time (because in south TX if you once water once a week you will definitely not have the green grass that the HOA wants us to have... and even watering with a hose daily you will not have the green grass the HOA wants us to have, but it'll be closer).

spray paint your grass with green paint??? :)

I loved mine.  I loved that it had a little shut off valve on the end, and I didn't have to hook up a sprayer to the end.  Unfortunately, I didn't read the fine print about not leaving it outside. Oops.   I have another one that a friend bought me.

If you put it up after each use, I think they are great, but they aren't going to last a long time if you don't take care of them. hth

Is anyone outside of your HOA aware of this? It seems they're guilty of exacerbating the drought for very trivial reasons. Shouldn't they be encouraging people to plant something that thrives in your climate instead? Aren't there any environmentalists you could sic on them?

We bought one with the plastic fittings and I love it, but expect the fitting will break eventually.  It is awesome for RV's, boats, camping, etc. 

They now have a better one with brass fittings, and when we retire on our boat, that's what we'll get.  They do really work well....

Is anyone outside of your HOA aware of this? It seems they're guilty of exacerbating the drought for very trivial reasons. Shouldn't they be encouraging people to plant something that thrives in your climate instead? Aren't there any environmentalists you could sic on them?

One would think.  Yup, many, many people outside the HOA are aware of it because every single HOA in this area has the sasme rules.  It's one of the "upscale" areas of San Antonio.  Appearance matters a lot to a lot of people (and apparently even if your lot slopes away from the road so from a car the lawn can barely be seen *and* you are at the very back corner of a tiny gated community so barely anyone even sees said lawn).

Now that would be cool.  Don't feel like cleaning?  No problem...just collapse your house and put it in a box.

Yay..

:lol:

Was sure thread title said "houses".   

Now can't stop imagining my out-laws ringing the bell, and watching as my house collapses into a teeny tiny box due to the magic button I have pressed from the other side of the peephole.

I bought one last summer and I like it a lot. I keep it in a pot and it stayed out in the pot all winter (-20 a few times) with no leaks now. I use it to water a smallish bed right near it. I like that it is tidy and I don't have to wrestle to recoil it or have an ugly reel in the front of my house. I don't like that it doesn't stretch very far.

I feel particularly well qualified to answer this question. ;)

We just moved into a new house.  The new house needs three hoses (different ends of the house, different areas that need hand watering).

Since I have back issues, I really wanted to buy a Pocket Hose.  The traditional rubber hoses can get quite heavy, and I have a LOT of hand watering to do.

My mom warned me that they had gotten a Pocket Hose that split within a week.  Dad dismissed the concern, saying that they probably just got a lemon.

So I bought 3 Pocket Hoses . . .   and they have ALL split within 2-3 weeks of use!!  GRRRRRR!    No special hard use or abuse, just me carefully watering my potted plants.  Needless to say, no more pocket hoses for me!