Menu

s/o makeup: Who paints their boys' nails? And lets them wear pink? Etc.

Aura

Just curious. Who has put nail polish on their boys' nails? I admit. I have. :leaving: 

My ds3 currently has one green big toe and one blue big toe. My dh isn't overy fond of it, but my dd7 loves getting her nails painted, and her little brothers want paint on them, too! So, occasionally, I will paint their toenails. They get to pick the colors, which are usually their favorites: blue and green. One Christmas, I painted snowmen on one of their fingernails. They thought it was great!

I really don't have a problem with it, and my dh isn't overly fond of it. But it's their big brothers that are bothered the most. "But Mom, boys aren't supposed to wear fingernail polish!!!" :lol: I tell them to leave their little brothers alone. They're just having fun with paint.

Sometimes, I wonder where they get their ideas from. My oldest ds refuses to wear a necklace, because that's for girls. Doesn't matter how many times we tell him that his Dad and uncles used to wear necklaces all the time.  :001_rolleyes:

And they all seem to think that pink is for girls only. Dh doesn't have a problem with wearing pink, except that it does NOT look good on him. But I know of at least one of the teens at church regularly wears pink dress shirts, and no one gives him a hard time about it. (That I know of--He's also a football player, very masculine, and no one could accuse him of being "sissy.")

I really don't worry about things like this. I know some moms that do, though, and are horrified at the thought of painting a little boy's nails or letting him wear pink. What do you think?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my ds was a toddler he wore nail polish and he put hair clips in his hair.  His favorite dress up item was a purple sequin dress with matching pumps.

Ages 4-5 he took ballet.

He has worn pink dress shirts through the years.  He just bought himself a new one.

Now at 15, he won't wear nail polish or hair clips.  It is a normal part of growing up.  If you make a big deal it becomes a big deal.

I never put nailpolish on my boys. But then again, I can't remember putting nail polish on myself. 

My cousins kid once put nail polish on youngest, fingernails an toes. She even gave him his own container which he used a few times.

My kids can wear whatever they like as long:

- Covers privates no matter what. (As in when doing a somersault, jumping on a bed...)

- Doesn't make them complain (As in wearing shorts at -18 C / 0 F)

If we are going out they also have the rules

- Clean, not stained, not ripped

So if they pick pink, then I don't care. 

DS has had his nails painted many, many times. His favorite color is blue and we have a few blue polishes that he picked out.

I haven't seen him do it in awhile but he used to frequently wear one of dd's dresses. He even had an alter ego girl personality, her name was Glassy. Glassy hasn't been around lately.

Just curious. Who has put nail polish on their boys' nails? I admit. I have. :leaving:

I really don't worry about things like this. I know some moms that do, though, and are horrified at the thought of painting a little boy's nails or letting him wear pink. What do you think?

I don't worry about things like this either. Nor am I "horrified" at little boys wearing nail polish or pink clothing.

Would I encourage my toddler or even older ds to wear nail polish? No. 

Would I purchase pink clothing for my young son? I wouldn't occur to me to do so. 

Would I purchase distinctively girl clothing for my son at any age? No.

I do think some pride themselves on being progressive by allowing boys to wear dresses, frilly dress up clothes, or nail polish.

It doesn't horrify me. I just think it's odd and silly. I have no desire to have my children make a statement on how open-minded and free I am.  My sons naturally gravitated toward boy clothing, mannerisms, and style. They seem to fit in well with others and don't appear to feel as if their individuality has been squashed. They seem to have the ability to express themselves when they need to; they tend to use words to express themselves, though, not their appearance.

I put nail polish on my youngest ds once when he was around 2-3 because I was painting the girls and he kept begging me. It was green. :) The girls have painted his also a couple times without my knowledge. It is not really a big deal to me. It comes off after a day or two anyways. My oldest would be mortified, but if I remember right he did paint one of his own nails once for a joke and then he was embarrassed that it was more permanent than he thought. My boys don't were pink unless they are goofing around at home and putting on the girls dress up clothes. This would mostly be my youngest. He has two big sisters with lots of dress up clothes so this happens often. Usually he comes running through the house laughing while wearing a princess dress and then goes and puts on his Thor costume instead.

It's popular for boys to wear pink here in Oct for Breast Cancer awareness month.  You'll even see pink socks and laces on the football field.

My my son was about 3 or 4 he would want me to paint his nails when I was painting my daughter's.  Sometimes I gave him "racing stripes" on his toes.

My 3yo ds loves nail polish.  My 6yo ds used to.  Once in a blue moon he'll let one of his sisters paint a toe nail.

I've never dressed them in pink, but there are plenty of pictures of them sharing their sisters' dress up clothes.

ETA: My daughers also played with trucks, in mud, and climb trees.  We don't bend over backwards to push "girl things" on our boys or "boy things" on our girls, but we've never discouraged them from enjoying anything.

I wouldn't let my son, but because he's a toddler, not because he's a boy. Once he weans (which I hope will be before he turns 4) I'd allow it. Any color he wants. The same rule as I had for DD.

His hair, however, has never been cut.  And it's wavy, curly, and much longer than DD's was at the same age (though just as blonde).

I let him where what he wants, and have bought him a few pink items because that's what he preferred/chose (such as a pair of swim shoes). He also likes to carry a purse--usually with toy cars in it.

I say this as the mother of daughters. :D

I would not paint my son's nails. I think the current trend of painting nails greens and blues and yellows and whatnot is just not attractive at all, not on anyone, and so I definitely would not paint my son's nails pink/red/any shade thereof. I don't think it's an appropriate fashion for men. Of any age. He could paint *my* nails pink/red/whatnot, of course. :-)

If I found clothing for him that was obviously not meant for girls but was pink, I'd be fine with that. I wouldn't want people to mistake him for a girl, KWIM? I don't think colors have genders. My daughters were mistaken for boys when they wore frilly, ruffly dresses that happened to be blue. What's up with that??!! Anyway, obviously-not-girl-clothing-that-is-pink, yes, of course.

I think necklaces for men in most cases are just...wrong. Not fond of men wearing earrings, either.

I don't wear nail polish, (it makes my nails very weak/brittle, and I have to wait for them to grow out in order to be strong again.) but I did used to have it around for special dress-up occasions

when 1ds was two, he did get ahold of my nail polish and did his nails while I was in the shower.  it was also on the bed, bedding, and my brand new dresser (the finish didn't like it).  he also go ahold of my perfume.  (as in the *real* stuff, not cologne.)  the dresser didn't like that either.  he wanted to be a sister with his sisters.  they'd play with his hair, and put flowers in it.  it made him feel like he belonged.   he's a guy.

when he was an early teen, he did have a pink shirt that said "all my black shirts are dirty."  he currently has a pink tie.

I know one woman who used it on one of her twins to help tell them apart when they were still very small.  (it's much easier to tell them apart now.)

It's very common for the popular teen boys around here to wear pink.  Pink polos are ubiquitous in that crowd, as are Collared Greens' bow ties with touches of pink (like some of the ties shown on this page).  Many boys were pink every single day during October, even the rough and tumble, not the least bit interested in fashion types.  It's the "in" thing to do.

I've never and would never paint a boys' nails.  Nor would I paint a girls' nails, either.  I don't "get" nail polish.  For anybody.

My DS (6) doesn't like pink, but he frequently asks for blue nail polish. He's welcome to it. He also doesn't cut his hair. His choice.

I don't let my kid wear nail polish or have a long hairstyle because it's some sort of statement on *my* part about how progressive I am; I let him because I believe that he can have control over what I believe are very superficial things.

He gets mistaken for a girl frequently, even though he wears very typical "boy" clothing. I don't see anything wrong with that, either. He simply corrects people and moves on. It doesn't bother him overmuch.

I don't have sons.

I can't imagine why pink shirts are controversial.  Some men look gorgeous in pink.  :)  It's a treat for me to see a guy in pink (assuming it's a good color for him).  The most macho guy I ever worked with often wore a pink shirt.  So does the male coach at the Little Gym.  Both of them are married with kids etc.

Nail polish - I don't think it's a big deal for a preschooler, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it.  If they begged and I had the stuff, fine.  When they get past a certain age it would invite problems in social situations.  But usually, kids figure that out for themselves.  (Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of girls wearing nail polish either, and I never wear it, but my daughters do.)

My older son's favorite color was pink. Now it's just any bright color. This lead him to often choose pink shirts, shoes, socks, bags, coats etc. We let him under the idea that if he were going to be bullied or pressured for his non-conforming color choices it wasn't going to be his parents doing it. He gradually shifted his faves until by age 10 his only pink things are socks and pencils and a hoodie and some polo shirts.

He's never been into nail polish or the like but we wouldn't have an issue with it at all. My younger son, who is much more interested in gender normative colors and activities compared to his older brother has occasionally had his fingernails painted with his same age girl cousins.

I think I'm not a real girl. Pink is one of my least favorite colors. But go figure my boys love it.

My husband is grossed out by nail polish. He is especially horrified over painted toe nails. Luckily I'm not into it. LOL

I don't like pink either. I mostly wear black. But I do like nail polish (black or blood red, usually. Black for my fingers and red for my toes). My husband likes it, too, and is constantly giving me color advice. He thinks I should branch out more. Lol. He's even gotten pedicures himself (albeit without nail color). He also wears pink ties.

On the topic of being mistaken for a girl....

Once I participated in an elementary school's career day.  There was a Q&A session and an AA 2nd-grader with lovely braids was called upon.  "The young lady in the red shirt."  Who then responded, miffed, "I'm a MAN."  It was adorable.  :)

I think I'm not a real girl.  Pink is one of my least favorite colors.  But go figure my boys love it.

My husband is grossed out by nail polish.  He is especially horrified over painted toe nails. Luckily I'm not into it.  LOL 

I detest pink.  Reminds me of Pepto Bismol.  Yuck!  Dh and all the guys wore a dark pink tie dd's wedding.  He still wears it occasionally.  I find him very attractive in dark pink; I just wouldn't be caught dead in it.

Yes. When younger my ds would occasionally wear fingernail polish, loved the Disney princesses and wanted to be a ballerina when he grew up.

Now, at 9, he's outgrown that phase entirely. No more Angelina Ballerina or Ariel, lol. However, he has long hair (100% his choice) and despite totally "boy"/non-ambiguous clothing he's mistaken for a girl the vast majority of the time. He's wise enough to know that long hair plus fingernail polish at this age would be social death.

Has nothing at all to do with desiring to prove my hip and progressive street cred. ;-)

Not a fan of pink nail polish on boys. My ds never had any interest, so it was never an issue.

I think pink shirts are a non-issue, because they are regularly sold in the boys' and men's departments, but again, my ds wasn't a fan of pink so I don't think he ever had a pink shirt.

I have painted a toenail once or twice, pink, we don't have any other colors.  My dh is one of the original metrosexuals, so pink and purple is not even on the radar as a "girl" color.  My dh is a photographer who wears a lavender bow tie and lavender argyle socks to photograph weddings.   I remember when the term metrosexual emerged and my brothers were like, "that is so (dh)!" :lol:   Our eldest picks up on dh's cues and recently told me he only wants to wear skinny jeans, his favorite pair being these bright blue ones from H&M.  

Nope. My boys have never expressed a desire to have their nails painted. If they wanted to wear pink (a shirt that was a boy's shirt, like a golf shirt), that would be fine. I think pink looks great on some boys/men. But if they wanted to wear a pink shirt that was designed for girls (sparkles, ruffles, sequins), I'd steer them towards something more boyish. And I don't care a lick if that makes me backwards to some of you. ;)

My son has worn pink, has had painted nails, came home from dance once covered in braids, has had short hair and long hair. He does "girl" activities like dance and theater. Never occurred to me to not allow this kind of thing. Life is short and kids are who they are. I save my controlling tendencies for the big stuff and not superficial things.

I have a friend who is currently raising a young child that self identifies as the opposite gender. This child has asked to be fully this gender, and is dressing, etc. I'm really learning about what kind of struggles families and kids like this face. I'm so glad this child was born into the right family.

My son asked for color on his toes when he was really little. Nobody made a big deal of it in our house.

My son isn't big on pink. However, my dh wears pink and purple quite often, and he has spent over half of his life in the army. He even went to military school for high school! Equating those colors with wearing girl clothes is pretty ridiculous, IMO.

I'm not being snotty here -- I'm honestly wondering.

Am I the only one who never sees boys wearing pink nail polish in real life? (Occasionally I'll see a teenage boy who's trying to be edgy and cool by dying his hair jet black and wearing black clothes and black nail polish, but that's about it.)

Am I the only one who has never had a real-life discussion with friends about their sons wearing nail polish?

I only ask because this isn't the first time that someone has started a thread about this, and I can't help but wonder it's common in other places. I mean, I truly have never seen an 8 or 10 year-old boy walking around the mall wearing pink nail polish.

My 2yo son's toenails are yellow right now.  Yellow!  I left him with a friend and the next day I had to ask his sister what had happened; I was worried that something was wrong with his toes. 

However, I surely don't care about it as a style thing.  He wears his sister's dress up tutus all the time.  He looks adorable. 

My 6yo daughter, though, seems to be in a phase of wanting to pigeon-hole everyone into their gender-appropriate box and will giggle at him and smirk, "He looks like a girl!", even though she helped him put on the tutu.  I'm trying to teach her not to mock people. 

It isn't kind; it isn't relevant to a person's worth; someone's favorite color has nothing to do with their status as a good man or woman.  We have GOT to let that go. 

It is pretty pervasive in our culture, though.  I think she started doing that after watching Despicable Me, and I'm sure she's heard it among friends at Sunday School. 

I mean, I truly have never seen an 8 or 10 year-old boy walking around the mall wearing pink nail polish.

I don't actually see where anyone said their 8-10 year old boy wears nail polish. All of the posts I saw (and I might have missed something for sure, I just sort of skimmed) were talking about toddler aged boys trying it out because it's the thing in the house or older teen boys in a rock phase painting dark colors. My son is currently 12 and hasn't wanted his nails painted in many years.

I'm not being snotty here -- I'm honestly wondering.

Am I the only one who never sees boys wearing pink nail polish in real life? (Occasionally I'll see a teenage boy who's trying to be edgy and cool by dying his hair jet black and wearing black clothes and black nail polish, but that's about it.)

Am I the only one who has never had a real-life discussion with friends about their sons wearing nail polish?

I only ask because this isn't the first time that someone has started a thread about this, and I can't help but wonder it's common in other places. I mean, I truly have never seen an 8 or 10 year-old boy walking around the mall wearing pink nail polish.

Maybe you did, but he had long hair and you thought he was a girl. ;)

We lived in a very liberal city when I was in college, and I've seen more than one guy sporting hot pink nails. Never elementary boys though. Probably because I was never around any back then.

My 2yo son's toenails are yellow right now.  Yellow!  I left him with a friend and the next day I had to ask his sister what had happened; I was worried that something was wrong with his toes. 

However, I surely don't care about it as a style thing.  He wears his sister's dress up tutus all the time.  He looks adorable. 

My 6yo daughter, though, seems to be in a phase of wanting to pigeon-hole everyone into their gender-appropriate box and will giggle at him and smirk, "He looks like a girl!", even though she helped him put on the tutu.  I'm trying to teach her not to mock people. 

It isn't kind; it isn't relevant to a person's worth; someone's favorite color has nothing to do with their status as a good man or woman.  We have GOT to let that go. 

It is pretty pervasive in our culture, though.  I think she started doing that after watching Despicable Me, and I'm sure she's heard it among friends at Sunday School. 

Oh, gosh, when you said tutu, I remembered a video I took of my ds when he was little in a tutu.

He would have been such a pretty little girl ;).

There was a sweet little 3 yr old in DD's preschool class who loved all the princess stuff, and would often show up with barrettes in his hair. He spent most of his time in the playhouse, and for "When I grow up" stated that he was going to be a mommy. Adorable little fella. I'm sure he'll eventually be a great dad-and if he loves actually cooking and cleaning as much as he loved pretending it at age 3. I'm sure he'll be the husband of someone's dreams.

I have.

So one ds wore blue nailpolish when he was little. 

One son wore pink tutus and dresses for a year when he was little.  He wore pink bows in his short hair.  He did love Disney princesses, and wanted princess sneakers.  He was okay with getting regular sneakers and putting princess stickers on them, and getting princess slippers to wear around the house.

One son paints his nails black and dyes his hair black as a teen.

I won't say if they were/are all the same boy.

One son wore a Baby Bop costume for like 3 years straight. Baby Bop is a dinosaur (that's an appropriately boy interest), but she is a girl on Barney. years of scrapbooks, with the kid in the Baby Bop costume. It finally died, it was $5 at a garage sale so lord knows we got our money's worth!

The other son found a (girls) 101 Dalmatian swim suit in a box of hand me downs someone gave us, and wore it over his clothes whenever he could. He loved that thing, little ruffles on the butt and all.

I don't paint my fingernails, and other than the pets am the only one with 2 x chromosomes around here, but it's safe to say I'd paint their nails if they wanted. They are now 12 and 15 and it's safe to say there were no after effects for allowing their toddler gender bending dress up fantasies.

Oldest dd polished her brothers nails once or twice - always blue or green or yellow (his favorite color).  Ds's favorite shirt right now is a purple sweatshirt that he wore as part of his Halloween costume (a Purrloin).  I have pictures of him wearing parts of various dance costumes (again dd's).   He also wanted to be a mommy when he grew up.

Dh didn't love the nail polish but his mother was the one who really went nuts over it.  She was constantly telling ds "boys don't...." and "boys can't..." and "that's for girls".  It used to drive me nuts but nothing I said helped.

sigh...  All girls, 5 of them.  I would have liked a boy, and I would have loved telling him to wear pink and buy polish, if he so desired.  Oh well.  Of the 5 girls, 3 of them couldn't care less about girly stuff.  I'm equally supportive of that, also.

One of my boys was really into princesses, dresses, pink, jewellery, etc. until he was 6 or 7, and still leans in that direction. I'm not into nail polish, and he doesn't have any sisters, so it just didn't come up when he was little. As he's gotten older, he's come home a few times from camp, dance class or a friend's house with his nails painted, but he always takes it off within a day or so. For him, it's just a fun thing he does with his friends, not a fashion (or any other kind of) statement. 

There are a couple of differebt lines of nail polish aimed at men.

DS does not use them because he can find the colors he wants at the store and does not feel he needs a "man's color".

Here is an online advertisement for Alpha Nails.

Totally OT, but the applicator for the Alpha Polish is pretty cool.