Menu

Thoughts on this baby name?

Aspasia

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that a name from Cliffard? That was my first thought. It's cute, but not very feminine IMO.

Yeah. There is a dog named Cleo in the Clifford books. But we also have a Phoebe, and there's one of those on Friends and Magic School Bus. Apparently I like names from kids' books/television shows. :)

I'm not really big on super feminine names.

When I think of the name Cleo, I think it's a dog's name. There was a TV show when I was a kid starring a Bassett hound named Cleo, and as AmySue already mentioned, Cleo is the poodle on Clifford the Big Red Dog.

I also think many people would think it was short for Cleopatra.

Cleopatra might not be too bad, actually.  :)  

But Cleo sounds cute.  There WILL be those who associate it with the dog from Clifford, though, so you might want to weigh that in the decision...or not.  

My husband had a laundry list of criteria.  Trying to find a set of names that met those criteria was a bit...challenging.  I thought we had finally found something when my husband pointed out that the initials were CDC which meant, to him, Centers for Disease Control.  Start again....:)

Cute, but it makes me think of that TV Psychic Miss Cleo. Sorry!

Dang it! That's what my sister said. I hadn't ever heard of this person, so I hoped it was just something random that my sister had come across.

I don't like it so much. It does some like a pet name. I like Chloe better.

I don't like Chloe. Too popular (we have a fairly common last name) and reminds me of chlorine.

Gah! I absolutely HATE naming babies.

It reminds me of either a pet (dog, cat, gerbil)  or I associate it with late night TV infomercials, though I can't for the life of me remember why....

I think it could be a cute nickname for a Clover, Chloe, or something cute and chic like those names.

ETA: apparently I am so slow with this bandage on that I didn't see the plethora of responces OR the youtube link that had been posted to the TV Psychic....

Okay, can't resist...at the risk of offending some with my/hubby's strange sense of humour!

When I was pregnant with my dd we actually did not finally agree on a name until AFTER she was born:) then we both knew immediately.

Poor kid spent the first couple of months in utero being talked to, sang to, and generally referred to as...CLEO THE EMBRYO.

Of course, this was probably preferable to when we jokingly had to change it to CLETUS the FETUS:)

I promise she has a lovely, long and pretentious name to make up for it now...

Okay, can't resist...at the risk of offending some with my/hubby's strange sense of humour!

When I was pregnant with my dd we actually did not finally agree on a name until AFTER she was born:) then we both knew immediately.

Poor kid spent the first couple of months in utero being talked to, sang to, and generally referred to as...CLEO THE EMBRYO.

Of course, this was probably preferable to when we jokingly had to change it to CLETUS the FETUS:)

I promise she has a lovely, long and pretentious name to make up for it now...

We have referred to a couple babies as Cletus the Fetus! We even called dd6 that every now and then for her first few months of life.

My husband had a laundry list of criteria.  Trying to find a set of names that met those criteria was a bit...challenging.  I thought we had finally found something when my husband pointed out that the initials were CDC which meant, to him, Centers for Disease Control.  Start again.... :)

We both had our name baggage as well. Our older son is named an old-fashioned name that has since enjoyed a big spike in popularity (it was definitely an unusual name for his first three or so years of life). Second one has a name that has been moderately popular for decades. He received a bank for his first Christmas with his initials on it. Our first response was, "why does this bank have my initials, hubby's initials, and big brother's initials" until we realized that boy #2 had each of our first name initials as his full name initials. Duh. We're a little slow at times. :confused1:

I like Cleo, but I didn't realize it had so many ties to dogs and psychics.

I like Cleo, but I didn't realize it had so many ties to dogs and psychics.

But I think a girl with the right personality could pull it off. Do you have sort of spunky, stylish kinds of children?

Both of these are my thoughts.  It's cute, I think it takes some guts but I'm A-OK with that!  and I had no preconceived notions about dogs or psychics. ;)

Weird, I think it's very feminine.  It comes across as exotic, but not too out there.  Not my style, but I wouldn't be shocked to meet anyone with the name.  While I do remember the psychic friends lady, that didn't even come to mind until it was posted.  I would say you're far enough from that generation, that it doesn't need to be a worry.