Menu

Thoughts on this baby name?

Aspasia

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fine. Not my taste, tho. I usually pick a name that has some history in the family, or has a nice meaning.

Cleo means, "glory or fame," according to one name site.

What would you put with it?

I had to give up on finding family names or names with meaning that I also liked. Our first two kids have such names, but the last two (our first passed away, so he isn't in my signature)...it was all we could do to just find a name that we liked enough. We can no longer burden ourselves with finding names that ALSO have meaning. It's just too hard!

I had a great aunt named Cleo. I like it but am also partial to Hazel. I think you either like that style of name or you don't.

Funny that those are similar to you! My daughter is Hazel, named for my great-grandmother, and I'd  never really considered Cleo before this thread, but I like it, too! 

I love Cleo for a childhood primary-use nickname. However, I'd definitely provide a less exotic legal name for her to have as a fall-back "grown up" name for her diploma(s), in case she becomes a judge or a war correspondent or something.

To me, Cleo is like "Minnie" or "Josie" -- technically a name, but one with fairly strong characteristics of names you call someone who is dear to you, and really a sweet little thing. I don't mean that to be insulting. I have a Josie: her legal name is Joscelyn. "Chief Jusitce Josie Lastname" -- just didn't sound acceptable in my imagination, so I made room for a more formal name.

So, yeah, have a Cleo, but don't make her live with it forever if she doesn't end up wanting to be Cleo to everyone. Any "C" name would be fine, because nicknames don't have to be really that close. (In fact, many girls of previous generations were called by primary-use nicknames when they were named after a mother or living grandmother -- avoiding the confusion. In those cases sometimes the nickname isn't even vaguely similar to the legal name.)

Cleo

Makes me think of a feminized version of Leo.

Reminds me of the only Cleo I know.  A middle aged, loud mouth, trouble maker who I used to work with.

Cleo the poodle from Clifford the Big Red Dog.

It seems like a middle aged woman's name to me, not a baby/child's name so I can't imagine it in that context.  I am sure if I knew a little Cleo who was a sweet little girl, or a feisty little kid, I would have a different interpretation, but alas, till then, it still belongs on a 45yo. 

I like it. Never would associate it with a cat or dog name, either. I dislike Chloe just because it's become so common.

I also don't understand those who are calling it cutesy. I see it as quite a strong but feminine name .

I agree with that too.

Strong but not masculine at all.

I love Cleo for a childhood primary-use nickname. However, I'd definitely provide a less exotic legal name for her to have as a fall-back "grown up" name for her diploma(s), in case she becomes a judge or a war correspondent or something.

To me, Cleo is like "Minnie" or "Josie" -- technically a name, but one with fairly strong characteristics of names you call someone who is dear to you, and really a sweet little thing. I don't mean that to be insulting. I have a Josie: her legal name is Joscelyn. "Chief Jusitce Josie Lastname" -- just didn't sound acceptable in my imagination, so I made room for a more formal name.

So, yeah, have a Cleo, but don't make her live with it forever if she doesn't end up wanting to be Cleo to everyone. Any "C" name would be fine, because nicknames don't have to be really that close. (In fact, many girls of previous generations were called by primary-use nicknames when they were named after a mother or living grandmother -- avoiding the confusion. In those cases sometimes the nickname isn't even vaguely similar to the legal name.)

This is funny, because our baby name test is, "Could this person run for President or be a kicka$$ lawyer and be taken seriously?" Because there are some names that make it difficult to take a person seriously. I definitely thought Cleo passed the test, though. Hmmm...

Chief Justice Cleo Lastname. I don't think it's crazy.

The dog/cat name thing is tough. I know a lot of people associate Cleo with pets. But I have a friend named Darci (which seems like a dog name to me), and she pulls it off. There's also Felix, which is making a real comeback in the human name department. And let's not forget the classic dog name, Jack. Also a great human name. Ten years ago, if someone had pitched Jack for a baby name, I would have said it was a dog name (it actually is my dog's name). But it's still a pretty great name for people.

I see it as a boy's name. A boy's name that's somewhat ambiguous. I knew a Cleo who introduced himself as "Cleo, but I'm male", so I'm guessing he had problems with people knowing which it was supposed to be.

:confused1:   How on earth would it be a boy's name?  I've only ever known girl Cleos, and of course the most famous is Cleopatra - another female.  The boy you're talking about also obviously ran into everything thinking it was a girl's name... 'cause it is.

I like Cleo. :)  Yes, I do know one cat named Cleo, but I have cats named Tommy and Isabel, so I don't think just 'cause a pet got named a human name it makes it unfit for humans...    it's a good human name that also sometime is used for pets (like many other human names).  It's not Fido or Rover, for Pete's sake.

:confused1:   How on earth would it be a boy's name?  I've only ever known girl Cleos, and of course the most famous is Cleopatra - another female.  The boy you're talking about also obviously ran into everything thinking it was a girl's name... 'cause it is.

I like Cleo. :)  Yes, I do know one cat named Cleo, but I have cats named Tommy and Isabel, so I don't think just 'cause a pet got named a human name it makes it unfit for humans...    it's a good human name that also sometime is used for pets (like many other human names).  It's not Fido or Rover, for Pete's sake.

Cleo can be either masculine or feminine, I imagine which people think of first depends on who they have known or known of with the name. The only Cleo I ever knew was male. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleo

I have a gender ambiguous name (spelled differently than the male version), and that hasn't ever bothered me. Lots of names are gender ambiguous: Kim, Riley, Courtney, Dana, Cameron, Reese, Jamie, Taylor, Tracy, Adrienne/Adrian, Morgan...and let's not forget Pat. ;)

No big deal.

I like the name. My husband's grandmother's name was Evelyn Cleo. I think it was really pretty. Along the lines of people associating it with Clifford and the psychic ; Once, many years ago my oldest son was playing with his toy phone. He was "talking" to Cleo. My husband thought he talking to Miss Cleo, while he was really talking to Clifford's friend. Different people are going to associate names with different things. You can't please everyone. Name your child what you and your husband feel is best. Raise her in a way that everyone who knows her associates her name with good things.

I would not choose it. I've only known one Cleo, my grandmother's landlady, and it makes me think of her.

Even though I wouldn't choose it, I don't think it's a weird name. Not like Apple or Kleyyyyyo, something where you're trying too hard to be different and the poor kid is stuck.

I'm on the verge of naming this baby Anne. It's solid, classic, versatile, and I don't have to think about it anymore. I'm just so tired of searching for names. I swear I saw every girl name in the universe when we were searching for a name for the last baby girl. I've seen them ALL, and I've grown to hate them ALL. Whenever I start looking for a name for this baby, it feels exactly like it did toward the end of the last name search. Nothing has changed for me. I still hate all those names (or at least they just don't fit for some reason). We were lucky to eke out a name we liked last time (and fortunately, we have grown to really, really like it). I just don't think there is anything left to eke out of girl names.

Dh isn't big on Cleo. He likes Rose--actually Rosie, which I like, too. But Rose just seems really, really old lady to me. I know old lady names are in (I've already got two girls with them), but Rose doesn't belong on anyone younger than 60. Would she just go by Rosie until then?

I give up. Anne for President!

This is funny, because our baby name test is, "Could this person run for President or be a kicka$$ lawyer and be taken seriously?" Because there are some names that make it difficult to take a person seriously. I definitely thought Cleo passed the test, though. Hmmm...

Chief Justice Cleo Lastname. I don't think it's crazy.

That was our criteria too.  Especially with girls, I think sometimes people name the little girl they are dreaming of rather than the potential adult woman she will become.  Cleo works for a girl, and it works for a woman.  I have never heard of the psychic, and I haven't watched Clifford recently, so I don't really have a lot of associations with this name.  My first thought was that it seems like a nick name, but when I think what you could name someone if you want to call her Cleo, Cleopatra is all I could think of, and that won't do. 

So I think if you like Cleo, go for it. I could see a Cleo as a lawyer, an athlete, a musician.  It's a nice name, and it doesn't (to me) have a heavy character to it.  There are some names that, when you hear it, you know what "kind" of girl the parents were hoping for - super feminine princess names, traditionally masculine names, etc.  I think "Cleo" is a name you would see on a resume and not necessarily form an impression of what that person should look like or act like, if that makes sense. 

I'm on the verge of naming this baby Anne. It's solid, classic, versatile, and I don't have to think about it anymore. I'm just so tired of searching for names. I swear I saw every girl name in the universe when we were searching for a name for the last baby girl. I've seen them ALL, and I've grown to hate them ALL. Whenever I start looking for a name for this baby, it feels exactly like it did toward the end of the last name search. Nothing has changed for me. I still hate all those names (or at least they just don't fit for some reason). We were lucky to eke out a name we liked last time (and fortunately, we have grown to really, really like it). I just don't think there is anything left to eke out of girl names.

Dh isn't big on Cleo. He likes Rose--actually Rosie, which I like, too. But Rose just seems really, really old lady to me. I know old lady names are in (I've already got two girls with them), but Rose doesn't belong on anyone younger than 60. Would she just go by Rosie until then?

I give up. Anne for President!

I have a niece named Rose. She's the cutest little thing! I don't think it's old-woman at all.

Anne is beautiful too.

Anne is lovely. I like it way more than Anna, though I can't say why. I guess Anne is the name of Queens, poets, martyrs, scholars ... and Anna seems to have less gravitas. I would have named a daughter Anne, if I had one. But now you have me thinking about Cleo, and I like it more every time I think about it!